What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

I hear ya but…

What if Chiv went 4-2 or 3-3 last year?
Then they'd be in the same position they are currently, except they'd have a HC who understands the importance of recruiting and has a track record of being able to close.

As long as we're throwing out far fetched hypotheticals, what if Chev is better suited to be a HC than he is a coordinator?

I believe that. CU certainly doesn't care like it did when I started following. That was like ****ing second or third grade man. Never thought we'd turn into a basketball school, but it looks to be trending in that direction or is already there.
Remember when we were throwing around ideas as to what improvements were needed at Folsom? It ranged from a complete reconfiguration of the west side to a better sound system. Folsom needs major repairs. It’s going to be expensive. Honestly, given the state of things, I cannot see how any of that happens. The decline of the program in general, massive uncertainty regarding conference realignment, and mounting deferred maintenance/renovation could force the administration into investment choices that doom CU football forever.

Have I lost my mind or is this a real possibility?

Remember when we were throwing around ideas as to what improvements were needed at Folsom? It ranged from a complete reconfiguration of the west side to a better sound system. Folsom needs major repairs. It’s going to be expensive. Honestly, given the state of things, I cannot see how any of that happens. The decline of the program in general, massive uncertainty regarding conference realignment, and mounting deferred maintenance/renovation could force the administration into investment choices that doom CU football forever.

Have I lost my mind or is this a real possibility?
I hope you've lost your mind. People on here closer to the program would know better than I would. If only I were a billionaire, I'd fix this bull**** real quick. :D

Then they'd be in the same position they are currently, except they'd have a HC who understands the importance of recruiting and has a track record of being able to close.

As long as we're throwing out far fetched hypotheticals, what if Chev is better suited to be a HC than he is a coordinator?
Maybe but are you willing to take that bet?

Another thing, you gotta spend money to make it. Thing is, you better spend it on coaches that can build a program. Same time, everybody has to be on board. We've seen time and time again where that isn't the case. I'm not even getting into the KD contract, I'm already pissed off as is. Am I happy with the Arizona win, sure. They are just ****ing awful though.

If COVID had become as serious as it did a few weeks earlier, it might have been the only move.
Possibly. Maybe more likely at CU given the state response to Covid. But I look at KU the same year.

March 8 - fired HC Les Miles
March 10 - fired AD Jeff Long
April 7 - hired new AD Travis Goff (was assoc. AD at Northwestern)
April 30 - hired new HC Lance Leipold (was HC at Buffalo & brought half his staff)

If KU could do all this in March and April, how come CU couldn't pull off a much easier task in February?

Possibly. Maybe more likely at CU given the state response to Covid. But I look at KU the same year.

March 8 - fired HC Les Miles
March 10 - fired AD Jeff Long
April 7 - hired new AD Travis Goff (was assoc. AD at Northwestern)
April 30 - hired new HC Lance Leipold (was HC at Buffalo & brought half his staff)

If KU could do all this in March and April, how come CU couldn't pull off a much easier task in February?

Not the same year, but point taken.

Again, I think CU needs a HC who will completely own one side of the ball as "his system". In other words, a guy who's been very successful as an OC or DC and we will run his system, with a "on the cheap" assistant to run that side for the HC. Pay up for the other side coordinator.

Chev doesn't have a proven system, nor does KD, nor did Embree or Hawkins.

Again, I think CU needs a HC who will completely own one side of the ball as "his system". In other words, a guy who's been very successful as an OC or DC and we will run his system, with a "on the cheap" assistant to run that side for the HC. Pay up for the other side coordinator.

I understand and agree. That doesn't change the fact that I would have rather just rolled with Chev when Tucker bailed than hired Dorrell.

Especially when you consider the budget constraints we always hear about. Given that, why not go to the model of the LA Rams and others? If your HC can mentor your QBs while running the offense, that opens up a ton of budget to hire a top tier DC, OL Coach and other personnel. CU has never really done this with an offensive coach. We have with defensive coaches post-GB and those were the ones (MacIntyre & Tucker) who worked out the best -- although with MacIntyre he didn't take enough ownership of the defense & the most successful season by far ended up being driven by hiring a high-priced DC with Leavitt. So not only does RG need to make that sort of hire, the expectations need to be clear that the HC is expected to focus on being a guru for one side of the ball.

Interesting. I see it as a lose-lose situation. Chev’s public advocacy for the job and the fact that his recruiting has dropped off doesn’t give me hope that he has the demeanor to be a HC.
Because we know that Chev can recruit when he wants, I don't put much stock into his current non-recruiting attitude. We all know coordinators don't recruit as much as the other staff members, but I also think Chev has been approaching this OC stint solely as a way to get a HC job, so his focus is there, not on recruiting players who will help this program in 2-3 years.

That said, had he been hired as the HC, I think it's possible that he would have fully embraced recruiting again. Of course, his success in 2020 would have been entirely dependent on who he was able to bring in on staff as OC, OL, etc (would he have been able to convince Kap to stay as OC/OL? From all account, Kap wanted to stay but Tucker offered too much money).

I'm not saying he would have been good by any means, but at the very least, the trainwreck would have been entertaining and I do think recruiting would be significantly better right now.

I would rather have Chev as HC right now than Dorrell, yes.
Sesame Street Stop GIF

OK, I guess hiring Chev might have been better than option 999 out of 1000. I'd prefer the AD focus on winning choices.

OK, I guess hiring Chev might have been better than option 999 out of 1000. I'd prefer the AD focus on winning choices.
Which is all the discussion was about. Hire Chev, or hire Dorrell. Which one has this program in a better spot right now from both on field performance and recruiting?

Seriously? Why would anyone disagree with that right now? This team is the most poorly coached CU team in a decade and the recruiting is awful. At the very least, I think Chev would have the recruiting in a better spot.
Who are the recruits that Chev has landed in the last 365 days? Does Chev seem like a good CEO type (public twitter whining)? Does he seem like he's great schematically?

I guess I'm just struggling to see what benefits Chev would bring to the table as an HC.

Who are the recruits that Chev has landed in the last 365 days? Does Chev seem like a good CEO type (public twitter whining)? Does he seem like he's great schematically?

I guess I'm just struggling to see what benefits Chev would bring to the table as an HC.
Again, coordinators recruit far less than other coaches and I don't think Chev cares about it right now as OC because he's looking to parlay this into being a HC somewhere else. We all know he can recruit when he wants to and when it serves him, though, which is exactly what would happen if he was HC, IMO.

Seriously? Why would anyone disagree with that right now? This team is the most poorly coached CU team in a decade and the recruiting is awful. At the very least, I think Chev would have the recruiting in a better spot.
Sounds like you believe in failing up.

Here's a coach who has been mediocre coaching his position, has had serious personality conflicts with other staff members, has failed in 2 attempts at being an Offensive Coordinator, and publicly copped an attitude with the AD and fans with threats in order to lobby for the HC job when Tucker left.

Your solution, since he had some success as a recruiter when focused on the task, is that CU should have made him the Head Coach.

No way in hell. He's lucky that RG didn't send him packing. He should have. In fact, I'm convinced that RG did not want to lose Chev, knows that he's not capable of being the HC, and the main reason for the KD hire was to assuage Chev by bringing in his old position coach and mentor who Chev would be willing to stay & work for if he got a promotion to sole OC.

Sounds like you believe in failing up.

Here's a coach who has been mediocre coaching his position, has had serious personality conflicts with other staff members, has failed in 2 attempts at being an Offensive Coordinator, and publicly copped an attitude with the AD and fans with threats in order to lobby for the HC job when Tucker left.

Your solution, since he had some success as a recruiter when focused on the task, is that CU should have made him the Head Coach.

No way in hell. He's lucky that RG didn't send him packing. He should have. In fact, I'm convinced that RG did not want to lose Chev, knows that he's not capable of being the HC, and the main reason for the KD hire was to assuage Chev by bringing in his old position coach and mentor who Chev would be willing to stay & work for if he got a promotion to sole OC.
Once. Again. I am not suggesting that he should have been the HC over anyone else.... other than Karl Dorrell.

Where has Dorrell taken this program that Chev wouldn't have? At the very least recruiting would be better than it currently is, IMO.

Another thing, you gotta spend money to make it. Thing is, you better spend it on coaches that can build a program. Same time, everybody has to be on board. We've seen time and time again where that isn't the case. I'm not even getting into the KD contract, I'm already pissed off as is. Am I happy with the Arizona win, sure. They are just ****ing awful though.
Talked with a buddy from Cincy. He went to Ohio U, but has a ton of clients that are Cincy U alum. Sounds like the money is flowing like water into that program right now and the season is basically just half over. Win and get the bag. That's how simple it is my friends.

I understand and agree. That doesn't change the fact that I would have rather just rolled with Chev when Tucker bailed than hired Dorrell.
Chev would've likely gone out and got a hot DC commodity because he doesn't know sh!t about D. So maybe, this would've been a better deal. He certainly would've been cheaper and had a contract clause more partial to the school than Dorrell's. Hmmmmm...

Once. Again. I am not suggesting that he should have been the HC over anyone else.... other than Karl Dorrell.

Where has Dorrell taken this program that Chev wouldn't have? At the very least recruiting would be better than it currently is, IMO.
This argument can only be made now because of the dismal performance of HCKD. While hiring HCKD wasn't awe inspiring, I would have pick him over Chev at the time because of Chev's childish twitter behavior during the search. He just wasn't showing to be HC material. The contract 'negotiation' conducted by RG for HCKD also adds a huge amount of fuel to the fire now that we know the details there, too.

Now that we know the current state of recruiting, the current performance on the field and related incompetence in coaching along with the contract structure, it's easy to say just about any alternative would be better than what we currently have.

Not sure it could be worse and that includes the red ****hole east of us.

This argument can only be made now because of the dismal performance of HCKD. While hiring HCKD wasn't awe inspiring, I would have pick him over Chev at the time because of Chev's childish twitter behavior during the search. He just wasn't showing to be HC material. The contract 'negotiation' conducted by RG for HCKD also adds a huge amount of fuel to the fire now that we know the details there, too.

Now that we know the current state of recruiting, the current performance on the field and related incompetence in coaching along with the contract structure, it's easy to say just about any alternative would be better than what we currently have.

Not sure it could be worse and that includes the red ****hole east of us.
Right. This is my opinion with the benefit of hindsight, but honestly, I suggested this as a possibility at the time as well.

@Buffnik - You said I believe in failing up. This conversation is about Chev vs Karl Dorrell as HC. If you believe Karl Dorrell is the better option, than you also believe in failing up

Back