What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

Your question was about who out there would take a Pac 12 HC job that pays around $4m/year. Mel Tucker didn't accept the job with the idea that he was leaving after one season, and you know that. If you are actually interested in having a conversation in good faith, let me know.

FWIW, I think you both have a point here.

I fully acknowledge that CU is a stepping stone job, but to suggest $4m/year to be the head coach at a P5 program isn't attractive to quite a few quality candidates is dumb. And no, I'm not limiting that to "one and done" candidates.

Is @Big Jim limiting his pool only to coaches who want to be Buffs?

I can't speak for him, but I don't think so. I think there is a talent pool for the CU job somewhere between somewhat deep and shallow. The money helps, but there are other factors to be addressed.

I think it's just time to admit that until CU commits to spending real money on the coaching staff, we aren't going anywhere. I'm actually in the fired Dorrell camp because with the recruiting situation, we're on pace to leave the next staff with a monumental rebuild if Dorrell and Co. are given another year of abysmal recruits.

Lots of talk about firing. Lots of talk about speculative takers. No big names interested. Three different HCs in the last five years.

Three FR quarterbacks, several FR wide recievers, and few upperclassman on offense. Underwhelming recruiting for years and years on end.

Everyone is, as usual, mad now.

Here is my question:
how many years will it take for a single HC to return us to consistency In terms of recruiting and positional balance? in other words, how long on average did it take an average coach (not elite) hired on somewhere in D1 to reach a turnaround? 3 years? 4 years? Five? Seven?

Lots of talk about firing. Lots of talk about speculative takers. No big names interested. Three different HCs in the last five years.

Three FR quarterbacks, several FR wide recievers, and few upperclassman on offense. Underwhelming recruiting for years and years on end.

Everyone is, as usual, mad now.

Here is my question:
how many years will it take for a single HC to return us to consistency In terms of recruiting and positional balance? in other words, how long on average did it take an average coach (not elite) hired on somewhere in D1 to reach a turnaround? 3 years? 4 years? Five? Seven?
5 to 7 I’m afraid

I know we have budget constraints, but CU has not spent wisely within its budget.

On O, you spend money on a dynamic young OC/QB Coach (which is less $ than they've paid Chev).

You also pay for an established OL coach.

The rest of the O staff are recruiters.

D staff takes a well paid DC and a bunch of recruiters.

Recruiters can be young guys coming from the elite program GA ranks, from proven G5 (or even FCS) success, and from the HS or JC coaching ranks.

Support them with administrative staff and database management to drive communications & target high value footprints.

Invest in the other things that CU leadership will get behind by offering elite training, nutrition, health care, educational support, career assistance, etc.

If you do all that, you can hire coaches like Dorrell or MacIntyre who are program organization types.

Rarely going to have a great, playoff-contending team with this approach, but you'll have a solid program that consistently wins more than it loses.

I think it can be done in 3 years. It’s much easier to turn over a roster with the transfer portal.
I think it can be done in 3 years. It’s much easier to turn over a roster with the transfer portal.
Sonny Dykes at SMU. Over 20 transfers before his 2nd season.

Year 2 was 10 wins and top 25. And that was before the new rules.

This staff has no choice since they can’t recruit, but the portal will be key next off-season, both obtained and retaining talent
We could literally make half the class be FCS transfers and tremendously improve. Plenty of guys there who have shown they can play and would be an upgrade.

Not that I wouldn't want P5 guys who were frustrated with PT, but I'm talking at a minimum that could make us significantly better.

This staff has no choice since they can’t recruit, but the portal will be key next off-season, both obtained and retaining talent
This staff (more importantly) can't coach. I'd settle for competency on the offensive side of the ball that could get us playing with what we have. There's a long list of teams that look very competent that even CU has out-recruited the last several years. All of these teams would man handle us, with lower recruited athletes and it wouldn't be close right now.

Iowa State
Cincinatti
Kansas State
Fresno State
Boise State (Every year, even when their coaches get poached)
Memphis
BYU

This staff (more importantly) can't coach. I'd settle for competency on the offensive side of the ball that could get us playing with what we have. There's a long list of teams that look very competent that even CU has out-recruited the last several years. All of these teams would man handle us, with lower recruited athletes and it wouldn't be close right now.

Iowa State
Cincinatti
Kansas State
Fresno State
Boise State (Every year, even when their coaches get poached)
Memphis
BYU
The key difference on most of these teams is they aren’t power 5. Imagine playing Wyoming, New Mexico, Air Force, CSU every year

The key difference on most of these teams is they aren’t power 5. Imagine playing Wyoming, New Mexico, Air Force, CSU every year
Who cares? They'd beat us up and they play plenty of P5 teams. Honestly, is the PAC12 better than the MWC right now? Honest question. The differences are smaller than I'd expected given the advantages to being P5? Styles have changed in CFB and being physical is important. All the teams I mentioned are well-coached, disciplined, and play tough. They have had poor recruiting.

Don't get me wrong, I like better recruits better than worse but the CU problems right now have less to do with talent than coaching.

Who cares? They'd beat us up and they play plenty of P5 teams. Honestly, is the PAC12 better than the MWC right now? Honest question. The differences are smaller than I'd expected given the advantages to being P5? Styles have changed in CFB and being physical is important. All the teams I mentioned are well-coached, disciplined, and play tough. They have had poor recruiting.

Don't get me wrong, I like better recruits better than worse but the CU problems right now have less to do with talent than coaching.
Short answer yes. You are basically picking the conference champion of every non power 5 team and being like hey why don’t we have the same success and record. The answer is Cincinnati doesn’t have to play Ohio state, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, MSU every year. Iowa State has a coach that every top program wants they came in with top 10 expectations and got their ****rocked by another team in their own state this year. Kansas State has had one of the best coaches of all time (Bill Snyder) once they got rid of him they got bad real quick and brought him back and Klieman is a great coach but only 15-11 in 3 seasons. Being a consistently top 25 program in a power 5 conference ain’t easy.

My fear is that anyone who has any remote interest in this job is going to call Tucker and ask what happened. Any prospective coach with ambition is going to be turned off by the limitations we place on ourselves. All that leaves us is apathetic coaches who just want to collect a check for a couple years before they ride of into the sunset.

I hear Addazio might be available soon
I hear people mention this all the time - but what exact limitations do we put on ourselves?

Short answer yes. You are basically picking the conference champion of every non power 5 team and being like hey why don’t we have the same success and record. The answer is Cincinnati doesn’t have to play Ohio state, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, MSU every year. Iowa State has a coach that every top program wants they came in with top 10 expectations and got their ****rocked by another team in their own state this year. Kansas State has had one of the best coaches of all time (Bill Snyder) once they got rid of him they got bad real quick and brought him back and Klieman is a great coach but only 15-11 in 3 seasons. Being a consistently top 25 program in a power 5 conference ain’t easy.
15-11 in three seasons... I'd take that kind of crappy right now

Barnett sh!ts more football knowledge in his morning dump than this staff has in its collective brains.
Still confused by the Barnett knob slobbing. 2001 was awesome(ish). 2002, not bad, should have been better. 2003 - horrible. 2004/2005 - fluke winking the North on (on missed field goals in both seasons if I remember correctly) and absolute embarrassment in the B12 CCG. If you want to talk about how great he was because we made it to bowl games, cool. But to finish the conf .500 and win the North thanks to KSU, KU, ****ty Neb, mediocre ISU and think this guy is ****ting all kinds of football knowledge is revisionist history.

Eventually this university is going to need to decide what it wants to be with respect to athletics and football specifically-Are we content trying to emulate Vanderbilt, or will we start to grasp the importance of a successful AD/football team to the university as a whole?
What does it mean to “emulate Vanderbilt”? ‘Cause we’re nowhere close academically. And we don’t have a baseball team, much less one that wins national championships.

Still confused by the Barnett knob slobbing. 2001 was awesome(ish). 2002, not bad, should have been better. 2003 - horrible. 2004/2005 - fluke winking the North on (on missed field goals in both seasons if I remember correctly) and absolute embarrassment in the B12 CCG. If you want to talk about how great he was because we made it to bowl games, cool. But to finish the conf .500 and win the North thanks to KSU, KU, ****ty Neb, mediocre ISU and think this guy is ****ting all kinds of football knowledge is revisionist history.
For the CU fan, mediocre is new awesome.

I would kill for a team like 2004/2005 compared to what we've had the last 15 years.

Stay within context. Is Barnett = Saban? Hell no. But compared to what we've had since he left, he's a GD savant. Dude has 3 conference championships and multiple divsion championships (backed in or not). And don't tell me we wouldn't all give our collective right nut for prime Gary Barnett to walk through that door right now and take over.

I really want HCKD to succeed and firing him would be tough on the program. That said, if he takes action to remedy the situation and holds his assistants accountable that would go a long way, but if he can’t paint a clear vision and isn’t holding people accountable then the accountability will lie squarely on him.

just got caught up on the weekend's games.

in the pro-sports leaning area that is Colorado, having Denver's NFL team at 2-0 while CU continues sucking the hind tit is about the worst possible scenario w/r/t maintaining fan interest, never mind growing it.

Back