What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

This staff is forcing a scheme on its starting QB that doesn't help him. That's on both the OC for doing it and the HC for allowing it.
Exactly right, been saying that. It's not who he is. Coaching is to put your guys in the best position to be successful, not making them run **** that they won't be. Tailor the offense to your QB, period.

It does have a lot of that Danny fifth year feel to it right about now. Rudderless, gaps in the talent, incomprehensible play calling. Beatdowns, the lot.

Keeping Danny that last year set CU back 3 years IMO.

My initial take on HCKD was, and still is, good guy, solid character, a former Buff you want to succeed, but could not recruit at fUCLA. He replaced a (.600) HC at fUCLA, and went...(.565). Given he inherited a team here with below average talent relative to its conference peers, and a tendency to go 5-7, he likely will underachieve, but just by a little bit, compared to his predecessor.

That is why I felt more 5-7, 4-8 seasons were likely in the immediate future. I may have been optimisitic.

I don't know who was really available at the time, Bielema (not a favorite of mine), Mora, Jr., etc., but HCKD just seems like a panic choice.

Let's see what happens v. ASU.
This hasn't sunk to Embree level yet but it's getting Danny/McIntyre-esque in a hurry. Bielema tool the Illinois job. I had my eye on Buffalo U.'s Lance Liepold for awhile but he volunteered to suffer at Kansas. Missed him by a year. KD WAS kind of a panic choice. I used to get ripped by saying that CU was a ****ty job, but it is. Still should be able to attract slightly younger versions of Rocky Long, Todd Graham, etc, guys with functional assistant connections who want to bank a few P5 dollars and can go 6-6 or 7-5 while being able to blank out the general nonsense in Boulder and CU. That appears to be the upside and honestly I thought that KD was probably that guy. Maybe still is - we shall see. I have limited angst in this as I had season tix for a couple of McIntyre's years but dropped them, and I don't donate $$ to public institutions. Still would like to see success on the field for the players.

Well, they have to do something. If this was the NFL, I’d just say **** it and advise that they tank. Unfortunately, every game they not only lose, but look completely incompetent sets them back further with respect to recruiting
In the NFL though it's easier to add and get rid of talent. In college the players pick you even though you try and pick them. And after they arrive you have to develop them.

I think the fact that weve had 3 coaches in the last five years sums up our position of 3 Freshman QBs 1st, 2nd and 3rd String along with q Freshman heavy WR corp. There are 9 underclassman in the starting 11 and no seniors.

This hasn't sunk to Embree level yet but it's getting Danny/McIntyre-esque in a hurry. Bielema tool the Illinois job. I had my eye on Buffalo U.'s Lance Liepold for awhile but he volunteered to suffer at Kansas. Missed him by a year. KD WAS kind of a panic choice. I used to get ripped by saying that CU was a ****ty job, but it is. Still should be able to attract slightly younger versions of Rocky Long, Todd Graham, etc, guys with functional assistant connections who want to bank a few P5 dollars and can go 6-6 or 7-5 while being able to blank out the general nonsense in Boulder and CU. That appears to be the upside and honestly I thought that KD was probably that guy. Maybe still is - we shall see. I have limited angst in this as I had season tix for a couple of McIntyre's years but dropped them, and I don't donate $$ to public institutions. Still would like to see success on the field for the players.
Embree was dealt an impossible situation. Danny had gutted CUFB, I think we all know why.

He did immediately try to up the talent level, and brought in some good players. I am not sure he was quite ready for the gig, and there were some catastrophic failures. I am not sure a third year was warranted, but I am not sure anybody else would have done markedly better. Danny really did a number on CU...and giving him that fifth year was disaster IMO. I think Embree is a good guy.

I don’t know who all the options were and I doubt anyone does. But you will never convince me that KD was the best option or that anyone besides CU would have hired him.

If Sark was an option, again no idea, I am not sure how you go from Sark to KD. On a spectrum that is fairly wide.
I want to point out for everyone acting like Sark is a homerun. He has a 48-36 record to KD's 40-31 record. Basically identical win percentage. That's also at places like USC, Texas and Washington where he had a ton more resources than he would at CU. Also KD is 5-4 at CU compared to Mel Tucker's 5-7. This weekend was embarrassing but you have to look at big picture. Hell I'm sure Nebraska would love to have Pelini rn compared to Scott Frost.

I want to point out for everyone acting like Sark is a homerun. He has a 48-36 record to KD's 40-31 record. Basically identical win percentage. That's also at places like USC, Texas and Washington where he had a ton more resources than he would at CU. Also KD is 5-4 at CU compared to Mel Tucker's 5-7. This weekend was embarrassing but you have to look at big picture. Hell I'm sure ****braska would love to have Pelini rn compared to Scott Frost.
I never said he was a home run.

I will say he would have been a better choice than an NFL WR coach that had been out of college for a decade and wasn’t successful when he was there.

And I wouldn’t use Mels CU record compared to KD. Anyone can see we were trending in a better direction under Mel.

I want to point out for everyone acting like Sark is a homerun. He has a 48-36 record to KD's 40-31 record. Basically identical win percentage. That's also at places like USC, Texas and Washington where he had a ton more resources than he would at CU. Also KD is 5-4 at CU compared to Mel Tucker's 5-7. This weekend was embarrassing but you have to look at big picture. Hell I'm sure ****braska would love to have Pelini rn compared to Scott Frost.

KaChing - This x10. The Sark love is mystifying. So is the TX hire. He won't last there.

KaChing - This x10. The Sark love is mystifying. So is the TX hire. He won't last there.
I don't know whether Sark will do well at UT. I would just say if Sark brought his winning percentage to Boulder (.571), CU would: (1) be bowl eligible more often than not, and (2) bring the best W-L percentage since Rick Neuheisel. Right now, I would gladly take that.

Sark also took over a UW team that was 0-12 when he got there, whereas Dorrell took over a winning program at UCLA. Time will tell on Sark at Texas, but context in those winning percentages matters here.

Not going to argue Sark is a mastermind or that Dorrell is completely incompetent. Their records as head coaches would dispel those notions.

BUT you are kidding yourself if Dorrell's recruiting vision is any match for Tucker, let alone Sark. Going on and on about "teaching." Deliberately pumping up lower rated recruits. Hiring Bob Lopez and others to run recruiting/player personnel. Recruiting all over the place with a shoestring budget. None of that adds up to a coach seeing any sort of big picture.

Also not to hammer you on this, but Tucker is 3-0 this year and just did something last weekend that Dorrell has never done in his entire head coaching career - beat a ranked opponent on the road.

It’s fashionable to bash Tucker because of how he left CU and I get it - but you’d be a fool if you wouldn’t trade Dorrell for Tucker in a heartbeat.

Sark also took over a UW team that was 0-12 when he got there, whereas Dorrell took over a winning program at UCLA. Time will tell on Sark at Texas, but context in those winning percentages matters here.
And the USC job? Context does matter. Karl Dorrell took over a program with 3 coaches in 3 years. That had one winning season in the last 15 years and in his first year on the job goes 4-2.

I don't know whether Sark will do well at UT. I would just say if Sark brought his winning percentage to Boulder (.571), CU would: (1) be bowl eligible more often than not, and (2) bring the best W-L percentage since Rick Neuheisel. Right now, I would gladly take that.
Most importantly: if we were recruiting at 80% of Texas’ current 2022 class, it would be the best class we’ve signed in decades.

And the USC job? Context does matter. Karl Dorrell took over a program with 3 coaches in 3 years. That had one winning season in the last 15 years and in his first year on the job goes 4-2.
At USC? He went 12-6 and beat Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl while dealing with a serious alcohol problem. Drunk Sark would have been the best coach CU had since Barnett.

Last year’s 4-2 season was nice, Dorrell did a good job. But WTF happened? It’s looking like 2020 was too small a sample size and we were headed in the wrong direction as the season wound down.

At USC? He went 12-6 and beat ****braska in the Holiday Bowl while dealing with a serious alcohol problem.

Last year’s 4-2 season was nice, Dorrell did a good job. But WTF happened? It’s looking like 2020 was too small a sample size and we were headed in the wrong direction as the season wound down.
12-6 at USC is terrible. Clay Helton just got fired and has been on the hotseat his entire tenure for having that same win percentage.

Apparently you missed the part about him being an alcoholic. If you legitimately think that Steve Sarkisian in 2021 is the same person as he was then professionally or personally, you’re misguided.
You can't defend him (by liking comments) as a good candidate for turning around Washington and beating Nebraska when he was at USC then simultaneously say disregard that time period because he is a completely different person now then he was at USC.

Oh, heck, I'd take that winning % in a heartbeat right now. My only point was that Sark is a pretty overrated/expensive way to get that .571....BTW, props to him on his substance abuse battle; it can't be easy.

Oh, heck, I'd take that winning % in a heartbeat right now. My only point was that Sark is a pretty overrated/expensive way to get that .571....BTW, props to him on his substance abuse battle; it can't be easy.

Paying a lot for moderate success would not be fun at all.

You can't defend him (by liking comments) as a good candidate for turning around Washington and beating ****braska when he was at USC then simultaneously say disregard that time period because he is a completely different person now then he was at USC.
Do you think Dorrell is a better coach than Sark (accounting for their full body of work including recruiting)? If not then I don’t know what you’re arguing about?

Better question might be would you rather have the next 5 years of Dorrell or Sark?

Agreed.

Sark is a strawman. He turned down CU, not the other way around.

The universe of coaches to compare KD to at CU is defined by which coaches would have taken the CU job if offered. The only known coach in that pool is Chev, the rest are left to what we do best...idle speculation.

Sark is a strawman. He turned down CU, not the other way around.

The universe of coaches to compare KD to at CU is defined by which coaches would have taken the CU job if offered. The only known coach in that pool is Chev, the rest are left to what we do best...idle speculation.
I think at the end of the day Sark probably turns CU down regardless, but if you believe the rumors that he was basically on board, but wanted to bring in an entirely new staff with no one being retained (which allegedly was a deal breaker for Rick George with Chev and Hagan), then it wasn't as cut and dry as "Sark turned CU down". There's also the fact that Saban came back and made him the highest paid coordinator in history and likely sold him on the fact that one more season at Bama and a National Championship on his resume would allow him to pick his next Head Coaching job.

I think at the end of the day Sark probably turns CU down regardless, but if you believe the rumors that he was basically on board, but wanted to bring in an entirely new staff with no one being retained (which allegedly was a deal breaker for Rick George with Chev and Hagan), then it wasn't as cut and dry as "Sark turned CU down". There's also the fact that Saban came back and made him the highest paid coordinator in history and likely sold him on the fact that one more season at Bama and a National Championship on his resume would allow him to pick his next Head Coaching job.
Sark really wanted a HC job in 2019 and 2020.

Back