What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

WTAF does Bob Lopez do? He fails at recruiting and gets promoted by KD. From the CU AD website:

On July 1, 2021, he was promoted to the newly created position of general manager.

In this relatively new position in college football, the role includes supporting the head coach and program overall in areas of strategic planning, hiring, oversight, management and relationship building. It also encompasses supervision of the player personnel and creative services staff while overseeing recruiting functions, including scouting, communications and on-campus recruiting.

Andy Staples show had a brief bit on Colorado. Basically they all said the CU AD is ****ed, some of the lowest revenues in P5.

Roasted Rick George for signing KD to the contract he did

I told my buddy nearly the exact same thing. He also mentioned Oregon OC as a possible candidate they are talking about. From AZ originally and coached at ASU at some point. (I didn’t verify those things so not sure if correct)
I would love for Kenny Dillingham to get that job. I really didn't think you did that good of a job at FSU

I was thinking about this, actually.

Are other successful ADs that much better than Rick is or Bohn/Tharpe were?

There seems to be something more in play here- take Arizona, for example. The general thinking is that football's the only revenue-positive sport, and in 2019 (the last "normal" year for which we have a complete year's worth of data), Arizona averaged ~10K per home game less attendance than CU. They are in the Pac12, so the media payout from the conference is the same. Yet the Arizona AD maintains 10 varsity men's sports compared to 8 for CU, and 12 varsity women's sports compared to 10 for CU. Arizona didn't have to take a loan from the P12.

Is UofA just that much better at managing their AD? Or are their other financial constraints that CU places on their AD that others don't? Honestly asking because I don't know.

This comparison is true for a number of other P12 schools (OSU and WSU, both of whom, embarrassingly, offer more varsity sports than CU), or ACC schools like BC or Syracuse
To me, success means one of two things (preferably both but is very difficult right now): a) make a boat load of money in moneyed athletics to pay for everything in the AD; (and also ideally) b) make enough money to provide substantial revenue (i.e. tuition and ancillary services) that will greatly benefit the University and cause them to look the other way. Arizona has a different cultural attitude toward public education than Colorado does, so it is difficult to compare apples to apples. But, it seems to me that it is fair to say that their Athletic Department has a ton of cache at the school because they’ve been big winners in the last 20 years, especially in BBall.

WTAF does Bob Lopez do? He fails at recruiting and gets promoted by KD. From the CU AD website:

On July 1, 2021, he was promoted to the newly created position of general manager.

In this relatively new position in college football, the role includes supporting the head coach and program overall in areas of strategic planning, hiring, oversight, management and relationship building. It also encompasses supervision of the player personnel and creative services staff while overseeing recruiting functions, including scouting, communications and on-campus recruiting.
So basically he does what this guy did for the Yankees. Got it.
george costanza flirting GIF by HULU

I don't really have much doubt he's done. Only question is when. If like @Buffnik put it, they come in pissed off, which is likely, maybe they pull the trigger on it. At least, you'd hope so. What the **** else is there left to see? Whatever they do, don't wait till ****ing Monday to do it. That's what I'm afraid of.

Would dillingham have an interest in the CU job? I like the idea of the innovative new high powered offense!
I'd pass on him. He's a big reason why Mike Norvell won't survive a Florida State collapse this year.

If you like high powered offense, go watch what Oklahoma did to the Nubs. Jeff Lebby's the first coordinator I'd look at.

And people wonder why donors don't want to pony up money and watch it be squandered on coaches kids and coaches buddies getting kushy jobs with that money. CU football program is frustrating in so many ways.

Just watched the Minnesota “highlights” since I’ve only listened on radio thus far.

For the most part, with a couple exceptions, this team’s body language is horrible. Lewis needs to be gone from what I can tell. These guys fully expect to lose every rep. Lots of plays where they’re not helping each other up, not showing any animation, and minimal interaction with one another

Listening to the games, I knew we were bad….. but this team has 0 faith in the coaches. That much is abundantly clear. That gives me more hope that Karl is canned mid season. Looks like we could have mass exodus this season (which I actually support as long as the new coach is allowed to use the portal)

If we can get a guy with a dynamic personality, even this gutted roster would improve immeasurably.

To me, success means one of two things (preferably both but is very difficult right now): a) make a boat load of money in moneyed athletics to pay for everything in the AD; (and also ideally) b) make enough money to provide substantial revenue (i.e. tuition and ancillary services) that will greatly benefit the University and cause them to look the other way. Arizona has a different cultural attitude toward public education than Colorado does, so it is difficult to compare apples to apples. But, it seems to me that it is fair to say that their Athletic Department has a ton of cache at the school because they’ve been big winners in the last 20 years, especially in BBall.
But what does that "cache" buy the AD at any of these schools from the Uni itself? I really can't wrap my head around the "look the other way"- does this mean let the AD operate without scrutiny? Relax admissions standards for athletes? Monetary support?

I think I figured out HCKD’s perspective. In his presser today, he called the non-conference games the “pre-season.” Obviously, he still has the NFL mindset that nobody cares about the pre-season. It is all good now.
back when VT was winning conference championships, Frank Beamer used that term for non-conference games as well,

But what does that "cache" buy the AD at any of these schools from the Uni itself? I really can't wrap my head around the "look the other way"- does this mean let the AD operate without scrutiny? Relax admissions standards for athletes? Monetary support?
The independence I’m talking about means…

1) admission standards are relaxed. There’s a set allocation for the number of entries the school will permit, so long as they meet the NCAA’s requirements. The Athletic Department decides to whom admission is given for that quota, not the Admissions Department.

2) academic resources are all in-house. Admitted athletes have Athletic Department hired tutors and academic counselors who help the athletes plan their schedules, choose majors/classes, study for tests, etc. Academic progress is monitored by the Athletic Department and is their responsibility to ensure athletes are achieving what needs to be achieved.

3) The Athletic Department, ideally, is financially independent and makes financial contributions to other departments to build good will.

I think it means that he's KD's spy/lackey and also picks up his dry cleaning and gets his car(s) washed.

1) admission standards are relaxed. There’s a set allocation for the number of entries the school will permit, so long as they meet the NCAA’s requirements. The Athletic Department decides to whom admission is given for that quota, not the Admissions Department.

2) academic resources are all in-house. Admitted athletes have Athletic Department hired tutors and academic counselors who help the athletes plan their schedules, choose majors/classes, study for tests, etc. Academic progress is monitored by the Athletic Department and is their responsibility to ensure athletes are achieving what needs to be achieved.

3) The Athletic Department, ideally, is financially independent and makes financial contributions to other departments to build good will.
Excellent- thank you for this post.

I think we're all in agreement that 1) absolutely is not happening, and it's an issue with the football team.

I believe that, outside of the COVID year, 3) is happening. The AD has been responsible for managing P&L and has operated in the black going back quite some time with the COVID year exception. A major issue I see (as posted earlier ITT) is that most peer ADs are receiving much more in student fees than CU's AD. The student fees for the AD at CU are ~$55 per year per student, and that hasn't changed since 1980. If it was more similar to our peers, it could pay for the buyout of Dorrell over the next 3 years alone with extra left over.

I'm less familiar with whether 2) is happening or not.

Excellent- thank you for this post.

I think we're all in agreement that 1) absolutely is not happening, and it's an issue with the football team.

I believe that, outside of the COVID year, 3) is happening. The AD has been responsible for managing P&L and has operated in the black going back quite some time with the COVID year exception. A major issue I see (as posted earlier ITT) is that most peer ADs are receiving much more in student fees than CU's AD. The student fees for the AD at CU are ~$55 per year per student, and that hasn't changed since 1980. If it was more similar to our peers, it could pay for the buyout of Dorrell over the next 3 years alone with extra left over.

I'm less familiar with whether 2) is happening or not.
In reviewing the numbers since 2004, #3 occurs most of the time. It is not consistent enough in terms of net profitability (after funding white kid sports) and generally coincides with on field product. I disagree about the funds being managed well. It is very hard to lose money on Football, especially with TV money, so it is basically them just not screwing things up most years. Run well is having high seven figures+ in net profits.

Just watched the Minnesota “highlights” since I’ve only listened on radio thus far.

For the most part, with a couple exceptions, this team’s body language is horrible. Lewis needs to be gone from what I can tell. These guys fully expect to lose every rep. Lots of plays where they’re not helping each other up, not showing any animation, and minimal interaction with one another

Listening to the games, I knew we were bad….. but this team has 0 faith in the coaches. That much is abundantly clear. That gives me more hope that Karl is canned mid season. Looks like we could have mass exodus this season (which I actually support as long as the new coach is allowed to use the portal)

If we can get a guy with a dynamic personality, even this gutted roster would improve immeasurably.
Again, how did any thinking person conclude Dorrell, given his track record, would think he would get it done?

#1 is the biggest hangup currently. Can't get transfers or JUCO's admitted even though they meet the NCAA requirements because often CU doesn't have a degree program that counts their credits. Giving the AD an allowance of 30 or even 100 students per year is not going to make any impact on the overall quality of student at the university. The AD can afford the academic support staff and can provide the scholarship money to ensure those players make progress to graduation within the APR time limit (which is like 6 years), so even if we only count 40 of their 60 hours from JUCO, they should still be admitted as long as they meet the NCAA requirements. High school kids should be admitted if they pass the NCAA clearinghouse requirements.

#1 is the biggest hangup currently. Can't get transfers or JUCO's admitted even though they meet the NCAA requirements because often CU doesn't have a degree program that counts their credits. Giving the AD an allowance of 30 or even 100 students per year is not going to make any impact on the overall quality of student at the university. The AD can afford the academic support staff and can provide the scholarship money to ensure those players make progress to graduation within the APR time limit (which is like 6 years), so even if we only count 40 of their 60 hours from JUCO, they should still be admitted as long as they meet the NCAA requirements. High school kids should be admitted if they pass the NCAA clearinghouse requirements.
I agree, which is why we need a 100% financially independent Athletic Department. Just because the funds exist in a budget doesn’t mean that they’ve been budgeted for the Athletic Department. The funds would trade off with another department’s currently allocated (and already declining) funding.The academics say correctly that the Athletic Department already has a monster budget and still puts out a mostly shyt product in its #1 revenue earner. Why give them my money? They also ask: why are you admitting student athletes who would not otherwise be admitted when Athletics suck?

If the Athletic Department is sufficiently profitable, these issues go away because the AD is easing general budgetary matters - not the other way around.

If CU could admit any qualifier as a freshman, Bobi Klintman would be on our basketball team instead of playing for Wake Forest. Anyone here think CU looks down on Wake as an academic institution?

He proves himself an idot in the first two minutes by spouting the "buyout drops by $2.3MM or whatever on Jan 1" line
He also said it was the same USAFA team. Same team minus 7 starters and the team with a huge flu (Covid?) outbreak week of the game in a difficult place to win….

Back