What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

We should be exploring coaching options but right now CU athletics isn’t in the market for a new coach. We’re going to go 0-12 before any change and perhaps 0-24 if you count next year.
I know CU has a terrible reputation for supporting the football program, but there’s a zero point zero percent chance Dorrell is allowed to run off two winless seasons before getting fired.

I get waiting to the bye week if the coach is popular with the players or heavily involved in game day play calling… neither seem to apply in this scenario

What is the average cost of season tickets at CU, including the mandatory donation? IIRC, I saw the cheapest at $500 total this summer, so if you consider that the average is $1000/season ticket, which is probably on the low end, a net non renewal in 2023 of even 5k is $5m in lost revenue, when Dorrell’s salary is $3.8m. That doesn’t even consider the lost concession revenue from those 5k fewer season tickets holders.

The math is simple and it’s really a no brainer that keeping him around is going to cost them more money than firing him. So the whole, “cu is broke” argument just doesn’t hold up. They aren’t any more broke than any other middling to bottom feeding institution. It’s college football.. coaching changes are routine.

I was thinking about this, actually.

Are other successful ADs that much better than Rick is or Bohn/Tharpe were?

There seems to be something more in play here- take Arizona, for example. The general thinking is that football's the only revenue-positive sport, and in 2019 (the last "normal" year for which we have a complete year's worth of data), Arizona averaged ~10K per home game less attendance than CU. They are in the Pac12, so the media payout from the conference is the same. Yet the Arizona AD maintains 10 varsity men's sports compared to 8 for CU, and 12 varsity women's sports compared to 10 for CU. Arizona didn't have to take a loan from the P12.

Is UofA just that much better at managing their AD? Or are their other financial constraints that CU places on their AD that others don't? Honestly asking because I don't know.

This comparison is true for a number of other P12 schools (OSU and WSU, both of whom, embarrassingly, offer more varsity sports than CU), or ACC schools like BC or Syracuse
I’d actually like to know a well…without sarcasm.

What is the average cost of season tickets at CU, including the mandatory donation? IIRC, I saw the cheapest at $500 total this summer, so if you consider that the average is $1000/season ticket, which is probably on the low end, a net non renewal in 2023 of even 5k is $5m in lost revenue, when Dorrell’s salary is $3.8m. That doesn’t even consider the lost concession revenue from those 5k fewer season tickets holders.

The math is simple and it’s really a no brainer that keeping him around is going to cost them more money than firing him. So the whole, “cu is broke” argument just doesn’t hold up. They aren’t any more broke than any other middling to bottom feeding institution. It’s college football.. coaching changes are routine.
I think that many people say they’re going to not renew and end up renewing anyway. They enjoy the tailgates and seeing Ralphie run. I also think yesterday is an example of what ends up happening: people just adapt to losing and still want to enjoy a sunny day in Boulder. The AD just finds another set of suckers (or road team fans) to buy tickets. The level of interest shown on this page doesn’t match what’s going on with the stadium. Until people actually stop going, nothing will happen.

I think that many people say they’re going to not renew and end up renewing anyway. They enjoy the tailgates and seeing Ralphie run. I also think yesterday is an example of what ends up happening: people just adapt to losing and still want to enjoy a sunny day in Boulder. The AD just finds another set of suckers (or road team fans) to buy tickets. The level of interest shown on this page doesn’t match what’s going on with the stadium. Until people actually stop going, nothing will happen.
But I read all Spring and Summer on this board how they and everyone they knew were dumping their season tickets. Did that actually happen or no?

I also just can’t imagine an 0-12 season isn’t going to have an effect on it. Even if they only lose 3k season ticket holders, that’s still likely more more than Dorrell’s salary when concession and merch losses are accounted for. Of course, this also doesn’t take into consideration any stoppage of annual donations outside of season tickets.

But I read all Spring and Summer on this board how they and everyone they knew were dumping their season tickets. Did that actually happen or no?

I also just can’t imagine an 0-12 season isn’t going to have an effect on it. Even if they only lose 3k season ticket holders, that’s still likely more more than Dorrell’s salary when concession and merch losses are accounted for. Of course, this also doesn’t take into consideration any stoppage of annual donations outside of season tickets.
Not season tickets, but we traveled to Folsom 2-3 times a year before this year. Zero games at Folsom for us this year. If they don’t care about the program, then it’s pretty hard for me to justify caring about the program.

What is going on with Shaw? He didn’t just forget how to coach but it seems like things have fallen apart a little bit. It’s not for lack of resources and it’s not like the conference has been particularly tough the last few years. Burn out?
He was able to hold the Harbaugh system together for about 7 years, but didn’t keep the same recruiting level going and the wheels finally fell off.

Here’s one thing to consider- next year the Huskers come to town to play in Boulder. I think last time there was a big number of Huskers who bought CU season tickets so they could go just to the game in Boulder. So I bet season ticket seasons go down big time from CU fans… but will it look artificially unchanged because of the Huskers???

Here’s one thing to consider- next year the Huskers come to town to play in Boulder. I think last time there was a big number of Huskers who bought CU season tickets so they could go just to the game in Boulder. So I bet season ticket seasons go down big time from CU fans… but will it look artificially unchanged because of the Huskers???
True, but imagine the actual CU fan excitement, season tickets sales, donations, etc if they showed they actually care, fire Dorrell, and hire someone (relatively) exciting as HC. There’s a major opportunity for the 2023 season with Nebraska and CSU coming to Folsom, but not if they keep Dorrell.

This has been my argument ever since MT left. The school was freaking out because the college football world was losing its mind, but not paying for a good coach was very short sighted for the overall health of the program/AD

I think the AD gave a crap load of tickets away yesterday. I know they were offering them to all of the local schools

True, but imagine the actual CU fan excitement, season tickets sales, donations, etc if they showed they actually care, fire Dorrell, and hire someone (relatively) exciting as HC. There’s a major opportunity for the 2023 season with Nebraska and CSU coming to Folsom, but not if they keep Dorrell.
I completely and 1000% agree with you. I think they shouldn’t wait a second longer to make a change. There’s a chance to create enthusiasm, drive up season ticket sales to actual Coloradoans and Buff fans. I was just saying that the numbers of season ticket holders next year will look artificially high because of the Husker fans trying to get tickets.

the potential benefits are huge to make a change ASAP. So much opportunity to make a bold statement to CU fans that the football program is on the right track.

Rick George is taking a big and unnecessary risk letting him have the potential to win next week. Just really stupid.

The potential to what??

main-qimg-a49e46a59cdf9c9ca219ce2ad1499a02

Back