What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fire Drew Wilson immediately

exercise shake weight GIF by Yevbel

Nate Landman. I don't think I've ever been hurt more by a Colorado players injury
There is no form of strength training you can do to prevent an achilles tendon rupture. If you know of said exercise please share it with the world, pro and college athletes everywhere would pay to prevent that from happening.
Louie Simmons was not my strength coach but his name was equally well known in powerlifting circles before he died.
Powerlifting does not equate to functional sports strength. If it did then why the hell aren't the biggest and best powerlifters playing in the NFL?

Please come back when you have a decent argument or know what the **** you are talking about.

S&C coaches are often convenient scapegoats when things go South. Wilson has been the exception to that rule. Almost everything I’ve read (up until the OP) has been highly complimentary towards him.

I see no reason to make a change.

Powerlifting does not equate to functional sports strength. If it did then why the hell aren't the biggest and best powerlifters playing in the NFL?

Please come back when you have a decent argument or know what the **** you are talking about.
I have to disagree with this. Power lifting (specifically power cleans) has proven to be the single greatest lift you can do to improve your explosiveness.

As with anything, there is nuance to the sport of football, and the sport itself requires very good athleticism. So, Power Lifters can be explosive, but may not be great athletes. But football players can become measurably more explosive by powerlifting. The affect that it has on functional strength that is applicable to football is notable. The posterior, hip and leg explosive movement directly translates to the stops and starts in football, and particularly to the OL and DL where you are firing off the LOS and pushing a 300lb human being.

I have to disagree with this. Power lifting (specifically power cleans) has proven to be the single greatest lift you can do to improve your explosiveness.

As with anything, there is nuance to the sport of football, and the sport itself requires very good athleticism. So, Power Lifters can be explosive, but may not be great athletes. But football players can become measurably more explosive by powerlifting. The affect that it has on functional strength that is applicable to football is notable. The posterior, hip and leg explosive movement directly translates to the stops and starts in football, and particularly to the OL and DL where you are firing off the LOS and pushing a 300lb human being.
I associate power lifting with squat, bench, and deadlift competition. Yes you get strength from those but training specifically for power lifting (raw strength) is different than for athletic competition (strength with movement and flexibility). Also power cleans are in the Olympic lifts category not really considered a power lift as far as I know.

I wouldn't want a power lifting trainer coordinating S&C for an athletic department.

I associate power lifting with squat, bench, and deadlift competition. Yes you get strength from those but training specifically for power lifting (raw strength) is different than for athletic competition (strength with movement and flexibility). Also power cleans are in the Olympic lifts category not really considered a power lift as far as I know.

I wouldn't want a power lifting trainer coordinating S&C for an athletic department.
Fair enough. Under your definition, I mostly agree with you. Although the benefit of those lifts to FB players are many (not the least of which is that they are the most conducive to building muscle mass), your point still stands regarding translation to functional strength.

My strength coach had the same name recognition as Louie Simmons, except I'm not going to name him because none of you will know who he is.
Rick Hussey
I agree with much of what you put in this post. You raised LaViska. He is a beast, but I have always wondered if the fact that he has grown so big, that he has out-sized his normal body-type/frame, which is leading to being injury prone. What are your thoughts on this?
Only if he had suffering areas that were not addressed but I come from the train of thought that, for non steroid using football players, lean muscle mass increase is rarely bad. Any increased force generation would be offset by stronger muscles and tendons protecting the area, stabilizing joints, and better distributing forceful tackles. Even ligaments see the same break down then build up from workouts then recovery that muscles and tendons do just on a much smaller scale.
There is no form of strength training you can do to prevent an achilles tendon rupture. If you know of said exercise please share it with the world, pro and college athletes everywhere would pay to prevent that from happening.

Alright I'll get this idiotic comment out of the way. It's the same reason you don't see olympic caliber sprinters in the NFL.

Exercises you view as "non-functional" have a direct correlation to "functional" exercises. It's 95% of the equation.. It's also why you'll never hear a football player say they got worse this year because they got too strong. If you're going to use bro science terms like functional strength make sure you use them correctly and that we're talking about sports in which the application applies i.e. bench press is non functional for sprinter

No form of strength training can prevent achilles tendon rupture? Isometric training is known to have an impact on tendons and ligaments. How much you wanna bet CU's use of isometric exercises is limited to planks for core work?

Wow, strength with movement and flexibility, I can tell you know what you're talking about!

Louie Simmons has done consulting work for three NFL teams and trained 2 olympic sprinters one of which was a world record holder in 1988 Butch Reynolds. Imagine that, a "powerlifting" coach training a sprinter and the dude broke world records

Last edited:
when q-anon and sports collide.
...you get someone saying non contact injuries in football are preventable? Damn, if you find that hard to believe I'm guessing I probably won't sway you with my terabyte of Bigfoot evidence.
Always Sunny Fx GIF

...you get someone saying non contact injuries in football are preventable? Damn, if you find that hard to believe I'm guessing I probably won't sway you with my terabyte of Bigfoot evidence.
Always Sunny Fx GIF
Correction. You can lower the risk with proper training and muscle balance. They’re not preventable.

Back