What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fire Drew Wilson immediately

Out of the changes I thought we needed, this was not on the list. Hopefully we can land someone better

Head coaches always like to have their own S&C guys. As stated above, this isn’t where I was hoping to see changes, either. I hope KD has a good idea of who he wants to bring in, because from where I sit, S&C is pretty low on the list of pressing needs.

Look for us to get a nice old school guy who doesn't do recruiting, just heavy lifting.

Prove me wrong coach.

He has been here 5 years and all except the first have been injury plagued. Dude clearly doesn't have what it takes. Too many have been non-contact which is a direct result of muscle imbalances/weakness in 90%+ cases. Video is scarce but technique looks good from the squat and clean videos I see. It is 100% obvious his routine is insufficient. I try to structure my post into something readable. Cliff notes: All these non-contact injuries are directly resulted from ****ty weight training program.

Section 3 can be skipped. It's just examples proving half of college strength coaches are **** and Wilson is no exception.

Section 1: Non contact ACL injuries due to improper quad hamstring strength ratio.

This has been known for decades. There is no better exercise for hamstring development than deadlifts. Squat and clean aren't substitutes, nothing is. There is nothing inherently dangerous about deadlifting either. It's one of the easiest lifts to teach and weight load should be based on the coaches program so going too heavy isn't an option.

Section 2: Wilson's routine sucks.

There is no reason to structure a weight training workout in waves like this. You either work up to a weight and stay there or work up then down. Whether it's the Chinese Soviets or Bulgarians, no one does this. He's trying to reinvent the wheel

Is it any wonder why Javier Edwards was the strongest dude in the weight room when he came in from juco or why, currently, Brendan Lewis is walking in from highschool?

Is it also any wonder why Landman and Pursell gained 20lbs in two years? That is atrocious for 18-22 year olds. The only explanation is garbage training routine.

If I'm being real, 525 is not good for the best squat on a D1 football team. Should be more like 600+.

Section 3: Most D1 strength coaches are complete garbage.

They fall for broscience crap, like "functional strength" and using hex bars to deadlift because they're "safer", and generally lack knowledge about training periodization to improve athletic performance. They think they can substitute "more safe" exercises in their place and get the same results. In reality, they are just sacrificing player health during the game for what is actually safe if monitored by a knowledgeable staff.

Every strength coach in these videos should've been fired on the spot:

The entire point of the deadlift is to target the posterior chain. Using a hex bar so you can lift with an "athletic" squat stance ... then just ****ing squat, it makes absolutely no difference whether the weight is on your back or the ground if the bio-mechanical movement is the same.

Crappy clean technique. This wasn't something unknown or revolutionary in 2008. Wilson is clearly not this bad as he teaches basic technique.

Viral Clemson bench video a few years ago. Clemson is good IN SPITE of this coach. Benching using tools designed to stimulate a bench shirt for equipped powerlifters in an effort to prevent shoulder injury is like squatting high to prevent knee injury. I'd bet this strength coach doesn't want his athletes to deadlift because they could hurt their back... but benching like this with weight they clearly can't handle is no problem.

My qualifications: BS in exercise science but I would be remiss if I said that would be the source of my knowledge. Most classes in school couldn't teach proper bench form let alone Alexey Medvedev's studies regarding the role of the relationship between intensity and volume in Soviet weightlifters. My powerlifting gym training with 2 world class athletes taught me more in three years than my university did in 4. When I say things like 525 is crap for a D1 football team's best or Landman and Purcell gaining 20lbs in two years is garbage, that's coming from experience.

Top 5 called shot...
I wonder if Laviska might've had a better CU career?

Look for us to get a nice old school guy who doesn't do recruiting, just heavy lifting.

Prove me wrong coach.
Hey! That guy who was at Stanford, the one who was so innovative and regularly churned out AA OLs and TEs for years, could be available!

Back