What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread-MEN'S BBALL opens season hosting UC-Riverside (Monday, 11/7/22, 6:30 MT) & at Grambling (Fri, 6 MT) & #11 Tennessee (Sun, Noon MT)

I will say this and be done. If he transfers we will all be sorry when he is a great player at another program and putting up great numbers. This is exactly the type of game you bring players along in, we are NOT the kind of program that can chase players of that caliber off. HE was the one that took a chance on CU, not the other way around.

I will say this and be done. If he transfers we will all be sorry when he is a great player at another program and putting up great numbers. This is exactly the type of game you bring players along in, we are NOT the kind of program that can chase players of that caliber off. HE was the one that took a chance on CU, not the other way around.
He was the 90th ranked kid in his class. I think he's got stupid good talent, but he's what...maybe in the top ten highest rated guys we've recruited? We get guys of that caliber a lot actually.

If he transfers and kicks ass I’ll be super happy for him, like I was for Fletch and DT. I’ll also know that he probably wouldn’t have done that at CU, like Fletch and DT.

But we’re also basing this on the fact that he didn’t play in his FIRST GAME one week after being sick.

In other words…

CART

HORSE

Comfortable W with enough issues for Tad to rant about in practice. Pretty good result. Love Hadley and Gabiddon. Rebounding is going to be an issue all year, make up for it with like 8 people who can competently guard 1-4.

Comfortable W with enough issues for Tad to rant about in practice. Pretty good result. Love Hadley and Gabiddon. Rebounding is going to be an issue all year, make up for it with like 8 people who can competently guard 1-4.
Gave up 15 offensive rebounds, were a bit high on turnovers and didn't make free throws. These are all lack of focus issues.

Gave up 15 offensive rebounds, were a bit high on turnovers and didn't make free throws. These are all lack of focus issues.
FTs I’m going to chalk up to small sample size right now. We shot 75% last year. Key and Battey were above average but I’m not expecting guys to drop 5-10% because the calendar changed.

But it gives Tad something fun!

There isn’t a sport that I can think of where coaches wield playing time as motivation and no sport that relies more on team cohesion. I don’t know what is going on but I can guarantee you Tad has been fully transparent with QA.

There isn’t a sport that I can think of where coaches wield playing time as motivation and no sport that relies more on team cohesion. I don’t know what is going on but I can guarantee you Tad has been fully transparent with QA.

Fair enough and good point, I understand what you're saying.

Reactions: DBT
Ruffin is good. Real good.
Came in when the Buffs were down 14-15. Scored on a pull-up jumper then on the next possession he dished an assist. On the third possession after he came in he through a bullet pass to the perimeter which pulled the defense out of position and led to an open basket from up top. Buffs never trailed again. He looked much more comfortable on the ball tonight than he did v Nebraska. He had a long injury recovery which had kept him out of competitive competition. Looks like he'll be a very good player in time.

So you dont play him when you are winning a game by a huge margin? Doesn't it make much more sense to find the issues on film and work with him instead of stubbornly keeping him out?
At what point were we winning by a completely safe margin? Were you there? Riverside kept coming even under 3:00 minutes when you typically clear the bench. Gee, Hurlburt must be contemplating transferring too if we go by your rantings. Now if Tad had cleared the bench and Miller, Gerhart and Carrington had gone in and Allen didn’t, then you could bitch and moan. But that didn’t happen, so STFU.

Fun team. Kinda nice that it’s so different than years past. We don’t have “the guy” or anyone trying for the NBA this season. No Kin, Bari, Battey, Bey, etc. But overall have way more talent. Everyone has to be there for each other and for the team, not themselves. So we get to see true Tadball, where defense and effort prevail, because if you don’t do that, there’s plenty behind you who will.

Hadley - awesome
Gabiddon - will win a couple games
KJ - no soph slump, turning into a dude
LL - agree with Goose, buy stock (be patient)
TDS - will be solid as expected
Clifford - role player but that’s fine I guess
Hammond/Ruffin - best backup PGs we’ve really had
Quincy - stop worrying. I want him to be the man as much as anyone, but we don’t get to choose that. If it happens it happens. If it doesn’t, that’s ok. We have the depth to not need a top 50 recruit to work out and can still have a great season. Count him as cherry on top if he is what we think he can be.

This team is incredibly deep.

“I’ve been around college basketball a lot, and I’ve played a lot of games against high-level teams, and in practice on any given day anyone can be unstoppable,” Gabbidon said. “To have that asset of depth is huge for us. Coach says to put it all out there in the time you have, because we have the depth.”

On Allen: According to Rooney, Tad has given this explanation:

".... he's still struggling a bit with the mental challenge of being an every day guy."

I sure don't know, but that sounds like it's an attitude issue.
How is he on the bench? Is he looking angry, or cheering his teammates?

I think there are at least few star players that were on the 2017 (?) team would have been more beneficial to have transferred years prior...

Basketball in particular, losing the locker room, or having inner team issues is far worse than having talent transfer out.

Not to say that any of us likely have a clue of what is really going on, but watching the team 5ish years ago that had all the talent in the world, but clearly also had locker room issues was not fun. I far preferred the early McKinley/Evan years, even if they had less "talent", and won less games.

This team is incredibly deep.

“I’ve been around college basketball a lot, and I’ve played a lot of games against high-level teams, and in practice on any given day anyone can be unstoppable,” Gabbidon said. “To have that asset of depth is huge for us. Coach says to put it all out there in the time you have, because we have the depth.”

On Allen: According to Rooney, Tad has given this explanation:

".... he's still struggling a bit with the mental challenge of being an every day guy."

I sure don't know, but that sounds like it's an attitude issue.
How is he on the bench? Is he looking angry, or cheering his teammates?
He looked fine on the bench. Same as everyone else.

Fun team. Kinda nice that it’s so different than years past. We don’t have “the guy” or anyone trying for the NBA this season. No Kin, Bari, Battey, Bey, etc. But overall have way more talent. Everyone has to be there for each other and for the team, not themselves. So we get to see true Tadball, where defense and effort prevail, because if you don’t do that, there’s plenty behind you who will.

Hadley - awesome
Gabiddon - will win a couple games
KJ - no soph slump, turning into a dude
LL - agree with Goose, buy stock (be patient)
TDS - will be solid as expected
Clifford - role player but that’s fine I guess
Hammond/Ruffin - best backup PGs we’ve really had
Quincy - stop worrying. I want him to be the man as much as anyone, but we don’t get to choose that. If it happens it happens. If it doesn’t, that’s ok. We have the depth to not need a top 50 recruit to work out and can still have a great season. Count him as cherry on top if he is what we think he can be.
Building on this. We'll likely all complain all year about not having a "Go-to" guy and it will probably hurt us once or twice. That said, this team is going to have 8 dudes that average 7-12pts a game. That's not a bad thing. Defense was true Tadball in the 1st half. Ferocious. But as he said in the postgame, the team let up a bit on O and D in the 2nd half when they pushed the lead out to 18/20. Correctable.
- Hadley and Gabbidon were incredible additions. Kudos to Tad and the staff. Neither have any fear and will do whatever is asked of them and leave it all on the court. TBH Gabbidon's athleticism really surprised me.
- As I've said continually, Lovering will be fine. You can already see the progress he's made. I'm amazed at how well he moves for a 7 footer. Did everything you need from him last night: rebounded, altered shots, played solid rotational D, shut down the other team's big, and made a couple damn nice passes on offense. Just needs to work on that 4 foot baby hook. But don't forget, he's technically still a freshman in experience.
- Clifford seemed to disappear at times last night. We need him to have taken the next step this season. I hope it happens.
- Hammond/Ruffin/Wright/LOB: It's great to have group like this, so that we don't have as many of those "up by 14 starters come out, oops now we're up by 3" type moments.
- Quincy - ??? Not going to speculate, but I imagine it was a combo of still being somewhat under the weather, what Tad said about basically "screw your head on right, Junior" and not a real need for him last night.

Smash Grambling, play tough against Tennessee, stay healthy and and we're right where we thought we'd be heading to Myrtle Beach - and that's when we'll learn who we really are.

Back