What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Men's Bball scheduled to re-start play hosting WSU (Thurs., 1/6/21, 7:00 PM MT, ESPN2) & Washington (Sunday, 3:00 PM, ESPN2 or ESPNU)

Fine. I'll give a pass for this.

But I can't accept the loss of Supa Dupa and not seeing a full band every game, including road trips and especially at tournaments.

Pageantry is what differentiates college sports from everything else. For CU, that's the band & spirit squads. Bohn got that.
Colorado is not a school with a basketball tradition. Tad has had more good teams than decades of coaches before him.

Fans who are not already part of the dedicated core are not going to come out just because Tad has a quality group of young men playing fundamentally sound basketball, they are going to come out for a night of entertainment that includes some quality basketball.

The game experience is very important if CU is going to build basketball attendance to a quality level. The game experience needs to be fun, there needs to be no dead moments, it needs to be something that when parents take kids the kids want to come back.

They need the band, and the band being active. They need the antics of the Cunit, they need goofy fun things like Sup Dupa and shooting contest and the other fun stuff to bridge the breaks in game action. Give away some free t-shirts, get some fans on the big screen and on the court.

You want a game experience where if a fan isn't watching the clock when the game ends they think "Is it over already?"

It is almost as if the CU administration doesn't care if people come to events, be it football or basketball.

I was in the band for basketball games. Back then our seats were floor level behind the north basket. Lots of great basketball to see for free.

Colorado is not a school with a basketball tradition. Tad has had more good teams than decades of coaches before him.

Fans who are not already part of the dedicated core are not going to come out just because Tad has a quality group of young men playing fundamentally sound basketball, they are going to come out for a night of entertainment that includes some quality basketball.

The game experience is very important if CU is going to build basketball attendance to a quality level. The game experience needs to be fun, there needs to be no dead moments, it needs to be something that when parents take kids the kids want to come back.

They need the band, and the band being active. They need the antics of the Cunit, they need goofy fun things like Sup Dupa and shooting contest and the other fun stuff to bridge the breaks in game action. Give away some free t-shirts, get some fans on the big screen and on the court.

You want a game experience where if a fan isn't watching the clock when the game ends they think "Is it over already?"

It is almost as if the CU administration doesn't care if people come to events, be it football or basketball.

When I was at CU in the 2010s every basketball home game was close to a sellout, especially the student section

Fine. I'll give a pass for this.

But I can't accept the loss of Supa Dupa and not seeing a full band every game, including road trips and especially at tournaments.

Pageantry is what differentiates college sports from everything else. For CU, that's the band & spirit squads. Bohn got that.

Agreed 100%. And don't get me wrong, I think the band should be there. But I'm willing to give them a pass for this week because of campus related incidents. But the band better be back ASAP.

When I was at CU in the 2010s every basketball home game was close to a sellout, especially the student section
When I was at CU in 2005 I had a brief conversation with one of my friends who was on the other side of the court during a game vs UNC.

Agreed 100%. And don't get me wrong, I think the band should be there. But I'm willing to give them a pass for this week because of campus related incidents. But the band better be back ASAP.

When I was at CU in 2005 I had a brief conversation with one of my friends who was on the other side of the court during a game vs UNC.
My last year of law school, 1986, at halftime, I took the halfcourt shot to win use of a car for a year (or something). I missed, but it was a good size crowd.

When I was at CU, I'd sometimes get tired of studying in the library so I'd walk over to Coors, use my student pass to get in, and sit near the top and read my books while periodically checking out the action on the floor. Shaun Vandiver was a load in the low post and all CU athletes' names pale in comparison to House Guest.

Great f ucking win! For all the pain associated with being a CU football fan, being a hoops fan is damn entertaining.

We are absolutely keeping ourselves in the conference race. Let's get those wins in Arizona.

Posts regarding the lackluster fan support are making me feel guilty. I passed on the WSU game because it was my only reason to head to Boulder that day, and I perceived there was still risk of cancellation. I passed on UW because my communist dad was in town and he's too Covid-risk-averse to attend a basketball game. And now it looks like I'll be out of town for the games with the LA schools.

1641833042110.png

When I was at CU, I'd sometimes get tired of studying in the library so I'd walk over to Coors, use my student pass to get in, and sit near the top and read my books while periodically checking out the action on the floor. Shaun Vandiver was a load in the low post and all CU athletes' names pale in comparison to House Guest.
I tried this twice when I was at VT -- showed up at the coliseum with my books and tried to focus. I figured it would be like studying while watching a game on TV (which I did all the time), but only better. It didn't work, at all -- both times all my study materials were packed up by the first media timeout and I was just another fan for the rest of the game. Props -- you're clearly more focused and disciplined than I.

Great f ucking win! For all the pain associated with being a CU football fan, being a hoops fan is damn entertaining.

We are absolutely keeping ourselves in the conference race. Let's get those wins in Arizona.

Posts regarding the lackluster fan support are making me feel guilty. I passed on the WSU game because it was my only reason to head to Boulder that day, and I perceived there was still risk of cancellation. I passed on UW because my communist dad was in town and he's too Covid-risk-averse to attend a basketball game. And now it looks like I'll be out of town for the games with the LA schools.

View attachment 49240

I tried this twice when I was at VT -- showed up at the coliseum with my books and tried to focus. I figured it would be like studying while watching a game on TV (which I did all the time), but only better. It didn't work, at all -- both times all my study materials were packed up by the first media timeout and I was just another fan for the rest of the game. Props -- you're clearly more focused and disciplined than I.
Let's say we go 9-6 the rest of tha way which I definitely think is achievable. That puts us at 20-9 / 12-7 and probably 4th or 5th in conference.
Then say a win and a loss in the Pac12 Tourney.
We're 21-10 on Selection Sunday. Is it enough?

Let's say we go 9-6 the rest of tha way which I definitely think is achievable. That puts us at 20-9 / 12-7 and probably 4th or 5th in conference.
2 of those wins have to come against UCLA, USC, or Arizona. Only 4 chances left. I think we need a couple more wins if we don't get 2 against the elite teams.

That was the most complete effort by this team I have seen. As @Buffnik mentioned above, guards are becoming a strength as a unit. Has 12 turnovers in the first half and only 2 in the second. Tristan put in a really quite 20 and Julian had big shots when needed. Jabari was very active and operating at altitude. Clifford was really active amd played well. D was tough and created pressure. A lot of fun to see.

Crowd was small and they deserve better. there should be a pep band as well. This AD is a disgrace with how they treat this program m
All music ensembles are cancelled due to COVID until at least the 24th - includes the basketball band.

recalling Nik's update in the Bubble Watch thread, I guess it really matters which games fall into the 9 vs 6 category. That question would be a lot easier to answer if we were talking about a XII or B1G team. I think there's too much of a gap between Pac 12 teams to answer. if the future nine wins are UU x2, ASU x2, OSU x2, @ Washington, Cal and Stanford.... we're in trouble. if we take USC and UCLA at home, and get a Arizona win - I'm going to brush up on dance lessons.

also, are there dates for the rescheduled Oregon and OSU games? quick search didn't find them.

last, let's win the conference and put all questions to rest! I want to see a new Pac 12 Champions banner hanging at the Events Center (I've already resigned myself that I won't live to see Virginia Tech win the ACC in hoops).

Nope. Not enough "quality" wins.

2 of those wins have to come against UCLA, USC, or Arizona. Only 4 chances left. I think we need a couple more wins if we don't get 2 against the elite teams.
Missed @Stanford previously, so how about this scenario?

@UA L
@ASU W
USC W
UCLA L
@UW L
@WSU L
UO W
OSU W
UU W
@CAL W
@ST L
ASU W
UA W
@UU W
@UO L
@OSU W

21-9 / 1-6. Plus 1-1 in the tourney.
22-10 with wins over USC and UofA.

#10 Seed, perhaps?

Nope. Not enough "quality" wins.
Agreed. It's basically mandatory that CU goes 3-1 or 4-0 in the next 2 weeks to get back in the tourney discussion. Have to win at least 2 of the @UA, USC, UCLA to start the discussion again.

Still ridiculous and another reason this school keeps finding excuses to take away from athletics. An exception would be easy here

I don't know about the men's game, but there were mask wearing cheerleaders at the women's game. However a pep band will really improve the atmosphere.

I think the cheerleaders were maskless at the Wazzu game, but I have to say that I'm so used to masks by this point that I can't say for sure.

Can't say enough about da Silva's play on the offensive end last night. In the first half there were times when he the difference in keeping the Buffs in the lead. His ability to score at all three levels was a treat to watch. He hit treys, mid-range jumpers and a little hook at thee rim. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Also want to acknowledge Walker's determination on the boards. He had two quick fouls in the first half and thus thus didn't return till the second half. He had 13 boards in only 20 minutes as well as some key buckets at the rim while taking a contact.

Can't say enough about da Silva's play on the offensive end last night. In the first half there were times when he the difference in keeping the Buffs in the lead. His ability to score at all three levels was a treat to watch. He hit treys, mid-range jumpers and a little hook at thee rim. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Also want to acknowledge Walker's determination on the boards. He had two quick fouls in the first half and thus thus didn't return till the second half. He had 13 boards in only 20 minutes as well as some key buckets at the rim while taking a contact.
I'd also add Clifford and O'Brien's play in last half of the first half. Both made the right reads facing the zone and made the correct passes, combining for 7 assists. Both also hustled and just made plays.

Next 3 of 4 games are against Top 6 teams. Doubt they have had as difficult of a regular season stretch.

Back