What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Men's Bball scheduled to re-start play hosting WSU (Thurs., 1/6/21, 7:00 PM MT, ESPN2) & Washington (Sunday, 3:00 PM, ESPN2 or ESPNU)

Hammond was great tonight, and getting Tristan some confidence in his ability score will be key for conference play.

Young team, learning not just to play together, but learning to win. It’s a fun group to watch, wish more people made it out to support them.

Finally got to see this year's edition in person!

Takeaways: Jabari can be the best player on the court in most situations, but it seems like he doesn't always want to be "the guy". When did tonight though, he was impressive. Scored at key moments and got their boss into foul trouble.

Wazzu didn't do much to put pressure on them, but our ball handlers are alright. Not amazing, but not terrible, either. It's not the horror show we thought it might be after Kin left. Hopefully KJ comes back soon, because he's our best, imo.

Evan is still Evan. I love that he's added the outside dimension to his game. I'm assuming at this point in his career though, he's never going to get a break from Pac-12 officials.

Lovering needs to hit the weights. He got pushed around tonight by Wazzu's physical bigs, and he looks slighter in person than on film. He also looks like he's still overwhelmed by college ball a bit.

Tad has to be pissed at tonight's defensive effort. It was there for stretches, but I've never seen a team give up so many buckets in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. We'd play superb defense for 25 seconds, then someone would have a brain fart and there would be a breakdown. Over and over that happened.

At the same time, a win is a win. I don't think Wazzu is a bad team, but we're better than them. We didn't play our best game, but we still won.

Hammond was great tonight, and getting Tristan some confidence in his ability score will be key for conference play.

Young team, learning not just to play together, but learning to win. It’s a fun group to watch, wish more people made it out to support them.

In fairness, it was ****ing cold as balls and the roads around campus weren't exactly pristine. Throw students on break and people worrying about omicron, and I'm not surprised.

In fairness, it was ****ing cold as balls and the roads around campus weren't exactly pristine. Throw students on break and people worrying about omicron, and I'm not surprised.
You’re right, and I should have been more specific, I didn’t just mean tonight. They’re a fun team to watch, and I wish they had more support in general.

You’re right, and I should have been more specific, I didn’t just mean tonight. They’re a fun team to watch, and I wish they had more support in general.

That's true, but I think the support will be better once the students are back and conference play is in full swing.

During his postgame interview, Tad complemented his improvement. Had very good things to say.
He'll end up being one of the best CU big men ever. Has a great skill set and is just a tough, gritty kid. Wyo HS ball doesn't provide the same experience as, say, Los Angeles.

Tad noted EB has worked harder on his shot, than anybody since George King. Thanks, EB.

He'll end up being one of the best CU big men ever. Has a great skill set and is just a tough, gritty kid. Wyo HS ball doesn't provide the same experience as, say, Los Angeles.

Tad noted EB has worked harder on his shot, than anybody since George King. Thanks, EB.
Yeah. He said it’s rewarding as a coach to see results from a kid when he works as hard as Evan did during the off season.

Yeah. He said it’s rewarding as a coach to see results from a kid when he works as hard as Evan did during the off season.
EB and King are both guys who could have cruised into their seniors years, but instead decided to put in those hours, for themselves, the team and us.

It was about 2,3 seconds after the 'flop' that the ref called it - after everybody was chanting 'bull****' for no foul being called. ref didn't want to get shown up
I know we fans will never know what goes on with league evaluations of officiating, but I’d imagine the AD will send the Pac 12 head of officiating video of the foul that wasn’t called and Simpson being assisted off the court, never to return, with blood gushing out of his forehead and asking the head of officiating how, first, no foul was called, second how, even after reviewing on video, the officials didn’t consider a flagrant and, finally, HOW IN THE HELL WAS HE GIVEN A FLOP WARNING!!

And about that flop warning on Parquet…..

OTOH, they did call a critical flop on WSU at the end. It’s obvious that the league, or at least this crew, are trying to curtail flops, which I agree with.

Last edited:
1. great win
2. i think @Alfred91 is right about factors limiting attendance, but I also think the looming threat of cancellation played into it, at least for me. The KU cancellation <2 hours before tip changed everything. I was initially planning on heading down to the Boulder area yesterday afternoon, climbing w/ my daughter and then going to the game. Daughter cancels on climbing, and it just didn't seem worth the risk to invest driving 1.5 - 2 hours for the possibility of seeing a game.
3. I've posted before that one of the key ethos points of sports fandom my communist dad preached was "never blame the refs. only losers do that... you don't hear winning teams bitch about the officiating." Allbuffs is definitely the most notable exception to my dad's claim that I've encountered.

That's true, but I think the support will be better once the students are back and conference play is in full swing.
I have to say though, no matter how many fans are in the student section they still really suck. It's like suddenly we have a CUnit that's never seen a basketball game before, are all mute since birth, don't have functioning arms, and have been forced to be there under penalty of expulsion. It's fvcking embarrassing.

1. great win
2. i think @Alfred91 is right about factors limiting attendance, but I also think the looming threat of cancellation played into it, at least for me. The KU cancellation <2 hours before tip changed everything. I was initially planning on heading down to the Boulder area yesterday afternoon, climbing w/ my daughter and then going to the game. Daughter cancels on climbing, and it just didn't seem worth the risk to invest driving 1.5 - 2 hours for the possibility of seeing a game.
3. I've posted before that one of the key ethos points of sports fandom my communist dad preached was "never blame the refs. only losers do that... you don't hear winning teams bitch about the officiating." Allbuffs is definitely the most notable exception to my dad's claim that I've encountered.
Your dad must not have ever seen Pac12 basketball officials work a game. ;-)

1. great win

I would have bitched about the KJ thing if we had won by 30.

There was no reason not to call a flagrant on that. Forcible contact to the head is textbook flagrant. To miss it while play is happening is one thing, to miss it on review is criminal.

I had a meeting during the first part of the game so I had it on mute. Watching the KJ incident it appeared that a flagrant foul was called because ESPN flashed those words on the screen. So not only was it not, but KJ was given a flop warning as he had to be helped off the court? If that’s true this entire officiating crew needs to be immediately fired or fined.

I had a meeting during the first part of the game so I had it on mute. Watching the KJ incident it appeared that a flagrant foul was called because ESPN flashed those words on the screen. So not only was it not, but KJ was given a flop warning as he had to be helped off the court? If that’s true this entire officiating crew needs to be immediately fired or fined.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but had a flop warning been called on that play, then there would have been shots awarded for the later (also BS) flop warning given to Elijah in the closing seconds.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but had a flop warning been called on that play, then there would have been shots awarded for the later (also BS) flop warning given to Elijah in the closing seconds.
Yeah. I could rewatch, but I don't remember a flop being called on that play (at about 6:22 of 1st half). I was confused when it was discussed here. No way that should have been called a flop, even watching real time, since Simpson was going up, got hit, and crashed to floor.

It was hard to watch him on the floor and then helped, weak kneed, off the court. Looked concussed to me.

Edit: changed time

Reactions: wip
Those refs shouldn't have a job, period. Wasn't just that one play, it was pretty much the whole game. Straight up incompetence.

Winning these close games will pay dividends later this season. KB nice offense, their small guard Roberts was a force for them though. Lovering will be much improved next season, putting my marker down now. Jabari wow great 2nd half but did miss the FT on 3 and ones. Elijah a couple of big shots down the stretch. Hammond played well it seemed, getting O’Brien’s minutes now looks like. Fun game.

Preview out for this afternoon's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/1/8/mens-basketball-buffaloes-host-washington-sunday.aspx

"
ABOUT THE BUFFALOES: Colorado is 10-3 overall and 2-1 in the Pac-12 Conference after defeating Washington State, 83-78 on Jan. 6. The outcome gave the Buffaloes their 100th Pac-12 regular season win since joining the conference in 2011-12 (100-85, .541).

The Buffaloes were back in action for the first time in 19 days and played just their second game in 26 days. Colorado hadn't played since a 60-46 win over CSU Bakersfield on Dec. 18 at the CU Events Center. The Buffaloes saw their nonconference finale against No. 7 Kansas on Dec. 21 canceled and their scheduled Pac-12 games at Oregon (Dec. 30) and Oregon State (Jan. 1) postponed due to COVID-19 issues in the Colorado program.

ABOUT THE HUSKIES: Washington is 6-6 overall and 1-1 in the Pac-12. The Huskies are coming off a 74-68 win at Utah on Jan. 6. Washington averages 70.8 points while shooting 39.7 percent from the floor. Defensively, Washington is giving up a Pac-12-worst 72.9 points while teams are shooting 44 percent. The Huskies are one of the best turnover teams in the nation. Washington leads the Pac-12 and ranks seventh in NCAA Division I in turnover margin at plus-6.5 per game. The Huskies force 18.3 turnovers per game, ranking 14th in the nation.

Terrell Brown, Jr., leads the Pac-12 and ranks eighth in the nation in scoring at 21.4 points per game. On the defensive end, Brown tops the conference and ranks 11th nationally in steals at 2.4 per game. Forward Emmitt Matthews, Jr., is second on the team in scoring at 11.1 per game and tops the Huskies in 3-pointers made with 16. Daejon Davis averages 8.7 points and is second on the team in both steals (26) and assists (28). Nate Roberts leads Washington in rebounding at 6.2 per game while averaging 3.4 points per contest.

SERIES RECORDS: This will be the 32nd meeting between Colorado and Washington with the Huskies holding an 18-13 advantage. Colorado has won the last two of the last three. The teams did not meet in Boulder in 2020-21. The Buffaloes won a 92-69 neutral site game in Las Vegas on Dec. 20, 2020, that didn't count in the league standings. Washington won the only official Pac-12 contest between the schools, an 84-80 decision in Seattle on Jan. 20, 2021. Colorado is 9-4 all-time vs. Washington in Boulder.
"

Tad just said, they have 9 team goals every game (he didn't list them, but likely TOs, RB Margin, etc). Againt WSU, they met none of them. And Tad asked the team, 'why did we win, if we missed all 9 goals?' I think Clifford had the correct answer, "we made our shots".

If EB stays hot outside, we are tough.

I think -9.5 is a lot. I think we win by 5 - 7. (warning: I have $28 left in my gambling account)

KJ is out - Concussion protocol. That ref should be fined.

86DA9C2A-8B4A-4BD6-81EE-85A95E71E847.jpeg
george costanza comedy GIF

Congrats to George Costanza for winning the cornhole championship before the Buffs game.

Back