What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- (RV) Men's bball scheduled to host #18/19 USC (Thurs., 2/25, 7:00 MT, ESPN2) and (RV) UCLA (Sat., 8:00 MT, ESPN2)

Overall it's USC, but for straight hoops it's hard to top Sean Miller and his band of paid professionals.

Overall, or just hoops?
I'd say whatever floats your boat. It's your hate, let it flow. I took it as basketball focused, but happily for me it's the same for both. Burn in a fire, trojans. (an obvious red team would win but they are irrelevant now)

Walton is the best color guy in the game. How can anyone have this take? I listen to my color guy for COLOR!
I haven't smoked nearly enough pot to track with what Walton is talking about 99% of the time. He's terrible.

If you want a rambling and incoherent color guy, that's certainly an opinion to have, but I prefer my color guys to add commentary on the actual basketball game, and not which team's mascot would win in a fight over which Grateful Dead album is the best.

I haven't smoked nearly enough pot to track with what Walton is talking about 99% of the time. He's terrible.

If you want a rambling and incoherent color guy, that's certainly an opinion to have, but I prefer my color guys to add commentary on the actual basketball game, and not which team's mascot would win in a fight over which Grateful Dead album is the best.
Terrible take. I love watching games that Walton is calling. He has a deep knowledge of all the teams, he loves Boulder, and he might love Pasta Jay's more than Hawkins did.

This morning, I got a great scoop this morning from an excellent source. During the late minutes of the game, as few of SC's players and coaches were caught under/behind the bleachers smoking cigarettes in an attempt to take the edge off the loss or deal with their despair. Boulder County Health and the PAC12 are investigating, as none of them were wearing the facial rubyer (aka.. the mask, or double mask). My source is trying to pin down the exact players & coaches involved, but it appears they were smoking Camels, Winstons and some Euro-cig. Vlade has been ruled out as a culprit, as he was not in the arena. Also, to my knowledge, the team bus was searched but no Hooka was found, just a couple of small MMJ pipes for personal use containing a burnt green residue.
Don’t know whether to :LOL: or 😲. This cannot be true.

"You" love Bill Walton because he doesn't speak ill of Buffs, and often more positive than other "color men." We "get" the 'color man". . . study all the facts, figures, and stories about the players and staff involved, and throw out little tidbits of trivia to break up the boring play by play. But Walton is the worst of color guys. His comments are inane and crude, that I usually turn the sound down when he's on. These announcer calling the game from their home watching on TV like us, doesn't lend much cred.

There are two things I want you to do as a color guy, entertain me or educate me. 98% of color guys say cliche after cliche and say nothing of any actual value analyzing a basketball game. They're generally terrible and don't do anything to educate me. Telling me, for example, "they're in a 2-3 zone" when I can see they are in a 2-3 zone clearly with my own eyes and thinking that is enlightening is the worst, and really, that's the play by play guy's job. Walton entertains, but he also very clearly knows the teams, the players, and the game of basketball, even if he goes off on (entertaining to me) tangents about the Grateful Dead or the Hubble telecscope or whatever other random thing pops into his head.

There are two things I want you to do as a color guy, entertain me or educate me. 98% of color guys say cliche after cliche and say nothing of any actual value analyzing a basketball game. They're generally terrible and don't do anything to educate me. Telling me, for example, "they're in a 2-3 zone" when I can see they are in a 2-3 zone clearly with my own eyes and thinking that is enlightening is the worst, and really, that's the play by play guy's job. Walton entertains, but he also very clearly knows the teams, the players, and the game of basketball, even if he goes off on (entertaining to me) tangents about the Grateful Dead or the Hubble telecscope or whatever other random thing pops into his head.

if you're going to go the educate route, you better be striving to accomplish what Tony Romo brings to football...we all know basketball decently well so I want to hear things I wouldn't know unless I played the game at the D1 level...talking about the philosophy behind offensive sets, inbounds plays, defensive rotations

most color guys are egomaniacs, Walton wants you to focus on who the players are, and makes sure you learn something knew every broadcast

if you're going to go the educate route, you better be striving to accomplish what Tony Romo brings to football...we all know basketball decently well so I want to hear things I wouldn't know unless I played the game at the D1 level...talking about the philosophy behind offensive sets, inbounds plays, defensive rotations

most color guys are egomaniacs, Walton wants you to focus on who the players are, and makes sure you learn something knew every broadcast
I can understand how some people find Walton entertaining, but if you think he doesn't make it all about himself (or whatever tangent he's on at the time), you're 100% wrong. The guy is the definition of a side show. For some, that side show is interesting. For me, I find it incredibly tiring to keep up with whatever he's rambling on about while watching a basketball game and actually caring about the outcome.

Dave Pasch deserves a raise for being a decent play by play guy plus Bill Walton's wrangler.

I can understand how some people find Walton entertaining, but if you think he doesn't make it all about himself (or whatever tangent he's on at the time), you're 100% wrong. The guy is the definition of a side show. For some, that side show is interesting. For me, I find it incredibly tiring to keep up with whatever he's rambling on about while watching a basketball game and actually caring about the outcome.

Dave Pasch deserves a raise for being a decent play by play guy plus Bill Walton's wrangler.
I will actually stop and watch a game that I otherwise wouldn't care about if I see that Walton is on the call, so we cancel each other out. ☮️

This is why I would kill for Peyton Manning to do a few games, talk about learning something!

McKinley is playing his last 2 home games that are part of his last homestand as a Senior with his parents and family in the stands, and there is no way he is going to lose without trying everything humanly possible to not let it happen! Also, I think the same goes for Jeriah Horne, and I have never seen Schwartz take it to the hoop hard like that, especially with his smooth Eurosteps.

Not liking Bill Walton is like watching pro wrestling and not liking Bobby Heenan as the color guy. I could give two c red caps if there even was a PbP guy.

Rankings updates.

NET up to #16 from #24
KenPom #16 (I believe up from #19)
ESPN BPI #13
RPI #26 up from #35

Moved up to a 9 seed from a 12 in the CBS bracketology; I think Palm projects out game results then seeds based off of that, I'm guessing he had USC winning last night and then the addition of the ASU game as another win maybe bumps us up a bit too.
Surprised our BPI is that good.

Positive: that metric cares a lot more about who you beat than who you lost to.

Negative: that metric downgrades CU home wins because it adds an altitude advantage.

When it's not a game I'm emotionally invested into, he makes it a lot more fun than the standard corporate vanilla broadcast.

Got to learn to tune him out when he's hyping or waxing during a game you're into.

Then, perk up and listen when he perks up and drops a comment about something noteworthy. He teaches basketball during broadcasts & kills refs/coaches/players for bad basketball.

ASU still.

USC a close 2nd now.

Oregon hate not at same level.

Don't hate UA, I just really want to beat them.

This.

Anyone who doesn't say ASU wasn't at the Bachynski game. Period. That happened in my corner of the arena and I still feel my jaw clench when I think about it. That's easily the closest I've ever been to getting kicked out of a game.

When it's not a game I'm emotionally invested into, he makes it a lot more fun than the standard corporate vanilla broadcast.

Got to learn to tune him out when he's hyping or waxing during a game you're into.

Then, perk up and listen when he perks up and drops a comment about something noteworthy. He teaches basketball during broadcasts & kills refs/coaches/players for bad basketball.
The key to enjoying Walton is definitely learning to tune him out.

Curious who you like as a color commentator.

My top 2 are Fran & Raftery. Fran's my fav to geek out with, but Raftery is the best mix of fun, energy & insight.
Fran is excellent. IMO, Raftery has more than lost his fastball. Was great for a long time though.

Curious who you like as a color commentator.

My top 2 are Fran & Raftery. Fran's my fav to geek out with, but Raftery is the best mix of fun, energy & insight.
Is Fran the old net Yorker who has the catch phrase about lingerie on the deck when a point guard breaks someone’s ankles??
If so I love that guy. I usually only hear his call during the tournament and it brings memories of the excitement of the first games

Back