What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good day re:CSU

This turned out as good as it could have for CSU. The next coach may not want to agree to a buyout quite so high but I imagine a sizable buyout will still be included. McElwain just got hired by Florida regardless of the huge buyout. It might have delayed the process but it didn't prevent anything and CSU got exactly what it wanted in the case of the coach leaving early. I fully expect the next coach to be paid a similar salary to when Sparkles first arrived ($1M+).

Wasn't that buyout part of an extended contract rather than the original that McElwain had?

I agree that it's likely to be something in the $1-1.5MM range with a shorter term and much lower buyout. If the reports are accurate, McElwain had to personally swallow $2MM of the buyout to get out of town for this opportunity. That's a tough pill.

The interesting part for CSU is not having an AD. That pretty much forces the president of the School to do this, as I don't think they have time to wait. I would like to think the president isn't your best person to completely rely on hiring a football coach. I'd also like to think that this will hurt their pursuit of the next AD knowing the president of the School hired your football coach.
It isn't ideal. The worst part is the coach not knowing who his boss will be and the eventual boss not having a hand in picking the coach. However, I think CSU can make a good hire without an AD. Our previous AD had no AD experience and used a search firm. The process turned out well. I anticipate the same thing happening this time around.

Wasn't that buyout part of an extended contract rather than the original that McElwain had?

I agree that it's likely to be something in the $1-1.5MM range with a shorter term and much lower buyout. If the reports are accurate, McElwain had to personally swallow $2MM of the buyout to get out of town for this opportunity. That's a tough pill.
He had a large buyout from the beginning. Signing the extension just kept it large.

The interesting part for CSU is not having an AD. That pretty much forces the president of the School to do this, as I don't think they have time to wait. I would like to think the president isn't your best person to completely rely on hiring a football coach. I'd also like to think that this will hurt their pursuit of the next AD knowing the president of the School hired your football coach.

Csquared thinks they will rely heavily on the firm that led their search for Sparkles and Eustachy.... both good hires.

Csquared thinks they will rely heavily on the firm that led their search for Sparkles and Eustachy.... both good hires.

Thats a good firm, hope we consult them if needed, not the firm that got us Hawkins.

He had a large buyout from the beginning. Signing the extension just kept it large.

Not from what I heard. I heard that the huge buyout was included in the recent extension by dangling an extra $100k a year as incentive for the buyout.

I'm betting that even McElwain was not thinking that the team would have such huge success this year and was thinking that a bigger offer would happen two to 3 years down the road.

Not from what I heard. I heard that the huge buyout was included in the recent extension by dangling an extra $100k a year as incentive for the buyout....

Of that $100k incentive he only got $50k since it was spread out over two years. And now he's agreed to pay back CSU $2M.

Of that $100k incentive he only got $50k since it was spread out over two years. And now he's agreed to pay back CSU $2M.
He's also making significantly more each year, starting immediately - even after having to pay them back. I feel everyone got a pretty fair shake here, and CSU makes out extremely well. Good for them - I was wrong about the teeth and viability of the buyout.

I'm pissed if I'm a Florida fan today. If the CU job was open tomorrow and you gave me a choice between Muschamp and Sparkles, I'm going with Muschamp. UF just paid out the nose to go with Sparkles instead.

boy and to think we had these guys beat into the 4th.... what would have happened to i cant remember his name with a loss to the buffs on his resume?

CSU may not want to admit this but they are a steppingstone job, plain and simple.

In hiring a coach they have two options.

One is to hire an older guy who is past the age of being on the track for jobs at top programs and is looking for a place to finish his career knowing that there is a cap on how much he can achieve. The caught lightning in a bottle doing this with Sonny who was to old to be a serious candidate at top programs in major conferences when CSU hired him.

The other is to hire a young guy who is looking to move up, this was McElwain. Anybody who had any fantasies about McElwain spending his career at CSU was baked in the head, CSU was a means to and end for him.

Despite getting the money you can be assured that any coach that CSU hires in the second catagory is not going to accept a contract with a large buyout in it from here on out. Any goodwill they could have built was smashed on the floor by Frank.

They got their money, that may have been the most important thing for them right now but it isn't going to make things easier for them in the future.
I hate to say this but you could say the same about CU...at least right now.

Hell, it's better than being a "career killer" job. We're moving up in the world.
Very true. Plus due to our membership in a P5 conference, if we regain and maintain our respectability over the next 2-8 years the desirability for a HC to jump to another program will go down significantly and make us vulnerable to getting poached by only the marquee programs out there. The lammies will always have to worry whenever any P5 job opens up.

Yeah. A stepping stone to oblivion. (Present coach excepted, of course.)

wile-e-coyote-forgets-a-cliff.jpg

Last edited:
There are but a few programs in the entire country that could fend off Florida if they really zeroed in on a coach. If the roles were reversed I am sure Mike MacIntyre would be on his way to Florida today as well. Its the nature of the beast.

Frankly I'm okay with that, for right now. HCMM just went winless in conference. If he can rebuild it enough to where he'd start getting interest from top tier jobs (which ours isn't at this point), I'll take it.

There are but a few programs in the entire country that could fend off Florida if they really zeroed in on a coach. If the roles were reversed I am sure Mike MacIntyre would be on his way to Florida today as well. Its the nature of the beast.

Absolutely. This isn't really a knock on CSU, considering most P5 coaches would probably jump to coach Florida, as well.

Just since I'm sure he was on many people's mind as the potential CSU coach (from ESPN article)- "McElwain left Colorado State to coach the Gators. (Chip) Kelly beat any future rumors to the punch, adding: "I haven't been contacted by any colleges. My parents used to live in Fort Collins [Colorado]. Let's just not go there. I know the Colorado State job is open. I'm getting ready to play Seattle."" (Although it doesn't sound like a full denial of interest!)

There are but a few programs in the entire country that could fend off Florida if they really zeroed in on a coach. If the roles were reversed I am sure Mike Mac would be on his way to Florida today as well. Its the nature of the beast.

right now, that would be true. the difference, as you are well aware, is that we are a p5 team, collecting huge tv dollars, and with an express pass to the playoffs and the major bowls, and able to offer comp to players that non-p5ers cannot hope to match. this is the difference between having an actual foundation for success in place and aspiring to someday be invited to be in a conference wherein you might then someday aspire to relevant.

we are at a historical low and you are arguably near your historical high and we're now at this point in time roughly peers. that tells you everything you need to know.

so let's stop with the fake "you'd be in the same boat" talk when you are smart enough to know it is a historical anomaly and the gap is getting wider, not narrower. the playing field is less equal than it has ever been. you'll be lucky if you are still playing d1 ball in about 10 more years.

Ugh Matt Stephens again. Listening to the press conference, the interim AD stated that no committee would be used. The jury is still out on whether a search firm will be hired.

Thanks.

For the record you are a much more credible source than Stephens. Then again, there are posters here that are more credible than Stephens, so I'm not sure that was much of a compliment.

here is an interesting way to think about this:

With the buyout, CSU basically got the last 3 years of coaching for free.

Thanks.

For the record you are a much more credible source than Stephens. Then again, there are posters here that are more credible than Stephens, so I'm not sure that was much of a compliment.

Stephens has been an absolute disaster through this whole thing.

Back