What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good day re:CSU

[tweet]540594690647941120[/tweet]

Oh my goodness. CSU seemed to pull a bad situation from the fire in getting the deal done for McElwain and UF. It would have looked really bad if the deal got shot down. But it didn't and it sounds like CSU ended up with some decent cabbage. But letting Frank go it alone on the coaching search is a disaster in the making IMO.

Sacky brings up an interesting point about the lack of a permanent AD during the hiring process.

He stated that a coaching prospect might worry about having a lack of support from an AD who wasn't the one who hired him, a very legitimate concern since that AD might not feel like his legacy is tied to the success of a coach he didn't hire.

Another question to look at comes from a different angle. If the coach is for practical terms a "President's hire" will AD candidates worry about their authority over that coach and ability to make decisions regarding the coach without undue interfearance from the president who hired the coach. This could make for some awkward situations.

Nothing good can come from the President of the university conducting a coaching search. That's about as stupid as it gets. Go hire an AD, Tony, then let him hire his coach. That's how this works. Stop putting the cart before the horse.

Nothing good can come from the President of the university conducting a coaching search. That's about as stupid as it gets. Go hire an AD, Tony, then let him hire his coach. That's how this works. Stop putting the cart before the horse.

I am a little surprised that there isn't more heat on the fact that the CSU Prez (a state employee) is spending so much of his time dealing with the stadium and the football coach search. If Benson was in Frank's position, I would think people would be jumping all over the fact that the President should be dealing with academics, rather than the AD. And actually, I tend to agree. Hire a fricking AD or promote Morris already!

I am a little surprised that there isn't more heat on the fact that the CSU Prez (a state employee) is spending so much of his time dealing with the stadium and the football coach search. If Benson was in Frank's position, I would think people would be jumping all over the fact that the President should be dealing with academics, rather than the AD. And actually, I tend to agree. Hire a fricking AD or promote Morris already!

My read on this is that Frank does not trust Morris to conduct the coaching search & hiring process. And if that's the case, there's no way in hell that Morris should be promoted to AD.

Gator fans already looking forward to hosting the rammies:

I hope after the game Foley big times the CSU AD for his stunt he pulled. Make him come by Foley's office where Foley will be kicked back relaxing after a 40+ point win. Foley blows a big puff of cigar smoke in the guys face and says "Your check is on the desk you filthy animal. See yourself out."

My read on this is that Frank does not trust Morris to conduct the coaching search & hiring process. And if that's the case, there's no way in hell that Morris should be promoted to AD.

Because, you know, Tony Frank has done this dozens of times. Amirite?

Because, you know, Tony Frank has done this dozens of times. Amirite?

Jack Graham had never hired a coach before he took the job. I am not going to worry about it too much, until I receive confirmation from a credible source (not Matt Stephens) that a search firm will not, in fact, be hired or consulted in this process. If Tony does go it alone - I agree that is a big problem.

how hard can it be to hire a coach?

it would probably be best if frank limited the search to internal candidates only.

Jack Graham had never hired a coach before he took the job. I am not going to worry about it too much, until I receive confirmation from a credible source (not Matt Stephens) that a search firm will not, in fact, be hired or consulted in this process. If Tony does go it alone - I agree that is a big problem.
Exactly. CSU's two previous hires, McElwain and Eustachy, were made while the athletic department was being ran by someone with no AD experience. As long as CSU retains a search firm, and definitely use that some one, they will be ok.

Exactly. CSU's two previous hires, McElwain and Eustachy, were made while the athletic department was being ran by someone with no AD experience. As long as CSU retains a search firm, and definitely use that some one, they will be ok.

Unlikely. Historically they have been far from okay. I think I read somewhere that McElwain was the first coach to be hired away from the Rams over the span of 17 head coaches or some such. You had one decent coach in Sonny and the a bunch of burnouts. McElwain was lighting in a bottle, and he is gone. To the back of the line you guys go.

Yeah. Hopefully, csu will screw this hire up royally. :wink2:

I was considering it - and I think it's to CU's advantage that CSU is successful in both football and basketball. As long as we're more successful.

If we're ever actually in the situation where our OOC schedule is actually up for scrutiny - assuming that we will always have the RMS to deal with - it would look better if we're playing a team in the mid 40s at least, instead of 110th.

Of course in basketball it goes without saying that you want all your opponents to have as high an RPI as possible.

here is an interesting way to think about this:

With the buyout, CSU basically got the last 3 years of coaching for free.

Another way to think about it is that this $7M buy-out covers half of the subsidy that CSU contributes to the CSU AD each year.

CSU would have to get the Florida deal two times each year...every year...to operate in the black.

Source of subsidy: collegead.org

CSU athletic budget
Rev$ 25.372M
Expense$ 25.948M
Subsidy$ 14.125M, 48% of revenue.

CSU's potential future AD (current interim AD)

7923664.jpeg

At this rate, if csu keeps investing in coaches, they'll be able to afford a stadium in 50 years or so.

I am far from a CSU apologist, but lets get our facts straight. As I understand it, Earl Bruce left to coach Ohio State after unprecedented CSU success in 1992. Lubick took over in 1993 and stayed with great relative success until he had so many coaches leave from underneath him and he got old, so that **** got bad and he made an ungraceful transition to retirement. Fairchild took over, who sucked, and then Sparkles. Far different from a spin of "Only one coach in the last X number of years left for a better job".

I am far from a CSU apologist, but lets get our facts straight. As I understand it, Earl Bruce left to coach Ohio State after unprecedented CSU success in 1992. Lubick took over in 1993 and stayed with great relative success until he had so many coaches leave from underneath him and he got old, so that **** got bad and he made an ungraceful transition to retirement. Fairchild took over, who sucked, and then Sparkles. Far different from a spin of "Only one coach in the last X number of years left for a better job".

Earle Bruce came to CSU after getting fired at OSU, not the other way around. Some doof named Sark Arslanian was the coach prior to that.

Back