What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good day re:CSU

I am far from a CSU apologist, but lets get our facts straight. As I understand it, Earl Bruce left to coach Ohio State after unprecedented CSU success in 1992. Lubick took over in 1993 and stayed with great relative success until he had so many coaches leave from underneath him and he got old, so that **** got bad and he made an ungraceful transition to retirement. Fairchild took over, who sucked, and then Sparkles. Far different from a spin of "Only one coach in the last X number of years left for a better job".

Maybe I'm not getting the joke, but Earl Bruce was fired from Ohio State, then went to CSU and was fired for getting a little physical with the players.

I did this without Wiki, so somebody back me.

It's crap that they're counting the $2 million as part of $5 million that Florida is paying CSU towards the buyout. That's probably close to what they'll pay any team at CSU's level at this time to come play a game in Gainesville in the coming seasons. I don't know why the media is acting like it's a gift and not just compensation for traveling to suffer a beatdown.

CSU's potential future AD (current interim AD)

7923664.jpeg

I always thought that was Eric Stoltz's finest role.

I am far from a CSU apologist, but lets get our facts straight. As I understand it, Earl Bruce left to coach Ohio State after unprecedented CSU success in 1992. Lubick took over in 1993 and stayed with great relative success until he had so many coaches leave from underneath him and he got old, so that **** got bad and he made an ungraceful transition to retirement. Fairchild took over, who sucked, and then Sparkles. Far different from a spin of "Only one coach in the last X number of years left for a better job".

If you want sraight facts start with Earl Bruce. Bruce was fired from tOSU, spent a year at Northern Iowa, then came to CSU. He started strong and moved the program up from the dregs to a competitive level but stagnated. He ended up getting fired for abusing players but he left the foundation of players that Sonny would then build on.

Sonny took the foundation that Bruce left, built on it, and had a great run, best in the history of the school. He did lose some assistants but he also got older and lost energy and motivation and his final 4-5 years were below .500 overall. He is loved in Ft. Collins but wore out his welcome when he refused to make the changes including in staff the re-invigorate the program.

So you have one decent coach followed by a guy who had spectacular success that trailed into poor results before Fairchild.

I think everyone is missing the point here. Sparkles is paying CSU to NOT coach at CSU. That is awesome

No, I think you're missing the point. CSU's interim AD looks like the dude from Mask!

Which also means Cher will be doing lots of concerts at their brand new stadium!

Another way to think about it is that this $7M buy-out covers half of the subsidy that CSU contributes to the CSU AD each year.

QUOTE]

This is just not true. $3 million from UF over 6 years, $2 million from Sparkles with no timeline disclosed and $2 million from a body bag game that will take place between 2017 and 2020. Not much in the bank to finance a new hire. They got worked in this deal and are not rolling in the cash.

Last edited:
I cannot believe I had that Earl Bruce thing backwards. In my defense, that was about the time I was in Okinawa, but I was positive! My bad guys.

Love that their top in-state recruit just switched to Colorado. Sorry rammies, your once in a lifetime run is over! Big brother isn't forgetting any time soon either.

Just listened to Jack Graham on the radio.... he was pretty open:

- They specifically told Sparkles 'NO' when he asked for 'dream job' clauses in his contract. Frank squandered that in the last minute with the verbal agreement that Sparkles could negotiate the buyout. That happened in the ceremonial signing meeting with Frank

- The entire goal that Graham had was to get a Big12 invite - that is why they were building the stadium. Said they needed Top 25 program, new stadium, and CSU alums in Denver to watch away games

- Contradicting someone earlier in this thread.... CSU was also at risk with the buyout. If CSU had to fire McElwain, they would have had to pay him $7.5MM. In fact, the contract that Graham negotiated was guaranteed $15MM over 10 years, with additional performance incentives that were very lucrative

- Said he was fired because his management style was different than Franks

- Said his understanding was that Frank would make the hire of the next coach.... didn't sound very enthusiastic about it

- Said the fact that CSU was touting the huge '$7MM' buyout was a farce. He subtracted the $2MM for the game in Florida because he already had CSU lined up to play a bodybag game in Michigan for a similar payout... so that was happening regardless. Then said that the original buyout language was to McElwain would have had to pay CSU $7.5MM in 30 days... instead that has now been broken out to $5MM over 6 years. Said that by his math, taking into account time value of money, CSU is getting an actual buyout of $3.8MM

Overall, Graham is a scumbag.... but he does sound very savvy, and I didn't get the impression he was lying about anything. Also clear that he hates Frank.

Just listened to Jack Graham on the radio.... he was pretty open:

- They specifically told Sparkles 'NO' when he asked for 'dream job' clauses in his contract. Frank squandered that in the last minute with the verbal agreement that Sparkles could negotiate the buyout. That happened in the ceremonial signing meeting with Frank

- The entire goal that Graham had was to get a Big12 invite - that is why they were building the stadium. Said they needed Top 25 program, new stadium, and CSU alums in Denver to watch away games

- Contradicting someone earlier in this thread.... CSU was also at risk with the buyout. If CSU had to fire McElwain, they would have had to pay him $7.5MM. In fact, the contract that Graham negotiated was guaranteed $15MM over 10 years, with additional performance incentives that were very lucrative

- Said he was fired because his management style was different than Franks

- Said his understanding was that Frank would make the hire of the next coach.... didn't sound very enthusiastic about it

- Said the fact that CSU was touting the huge '$7MM' buyout was a farce. He subtracted the $2MM for the game in Florida because he already had CSU lined up to play a bodybag game in Michigan for a similar payout... so that was happening regardless. Then said that the original buyout language was to McElwain would have had to pay CSU $7.5MM in 30 days... instead that has now been broken out to $5MM over 6 years. Said that by his math, taking into account time value of money, CSU is getting an actual buyout of $3.8MM

Overall, Graham is a scumbag.... but he does sound very savvy, and I didn't get the impression he was lying about anything. Also clear that he hates Frank.

He is savvy. I think he did a great job with the hire and with the initial contract because he knew he needed multiple years from a guy in order to rebuild.

I can also see where his management style got in the way. I think in the end he also would have let Sparkles out of the contract (but not the buyout) because he would have to realize that the situation would become toxic if he didn't.

He is savvy. I think he did a great job with the hire and with the initial contract because he knew he needed multiple years from a guy in order to rebuild.

I can also see where his management style got in the way. I think in the end he also would have let Sparkles out of the contract (but not the buyout) because he would have to realize that the situation would become toxic if he didn't.

His point, and he was right, was the the purpose of the buyout was to close the market. If schools didn't think they could negotiate it, they might not even have sniffed around. Frank willing to negotiate the contract allowed those schools to at least test the waters and have conversations with McElwain and his agent.

Big 12 invite? :rofl:

We laugh at this, but I'm going to assume Graham had conversations with the Big12 about what might need to happen to receive an invite. I think CSU is a solid Tier 2 choice for that conference, and that Graham wasn't off in 'lala' land about it happening.... but I think where they were weak was fan support. It was/is going to take many years of those 10 win seasons + big upsets over P5 teams for the fan support to become rabid enough to get attendance and TV numbers up for the Big12.

We laugh at this, but I'm going to assume Graham had conversations with the Big12 about what might need to happen to receive an invite. I think CSU is a solid Tier 2 choice for that conference, and that Graham wasn't off in 'lala' land about it happening.... but I think where they were weak was fan support. It was/is going to take many years of those 10 win seasons + big upsets over P5 teams for the fan support to become rabid enough to get attendance and TV numbers up for the Big12.

Sure, they just have to pull off something they've never been able to do. I'm sure it will be a piece of cake.

Big 12 invite? :rofl:

As much as we laugh at the idea that they'd get a Big 12 invite, it's understandable that they'd work towards securing one. They're not stupid. They see the writing on the wall. In another 5 years, you're either in or you're out. Right now, they're squarely on the oustide looking in. Without the B12 invite, they'll always be there. They're looking at what needs to be done to get that invite. The new stadium was part of that. I think it still is, in fact. They figured they had a 5-6 year window to work with to get themselves in a situation where they would be seen as a viable candidate for an invite. Problem is, there are 20 other schools in the same boat, and maybe 1-2 of them will ultimately get that golden parachute.

They'd taken the first steps. Top 25 team, new stadium likely moving forth....

As much as we laugh at the idea that they'd get a Big 12 invite, it's understandable that they'd work towards securing one. They're not stupid. They see the writing on the wall. In another 5 years, you're either in or you're out. Right now, they're squarely on the oustide looking in. Without the B12 invite, they'll always be there. They're looking at what needs to be done to get that invite. The new stadium was part of that. I think it still is, in fact. They figured they had a 5-6 year window to work with to get themselves in a situation where they would be seen as a viable candidate for an invite. Problem is, there are 20 other schools in the same boat, and maybe 1-2 of them will ultimately get that golden parachute.

You're absolutely right, it's a smart move to try. I have no issue with that at all. They don't want to get left behind.

In my mind it rings of delusions of grandeur more than reality. As you mentioned plenty of other candidates out there with a handful that have a lot more to offer.

Last edited:
They'd taken the first steps. Top 25 team, new stadium likely moving forth....

And depending on the coaching hire how often can they hang their hat on being top 25? A new stadium is nice, but more than likely it will be on the low end of any of the other Big 12 stadiums.

Back