What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How the South Shakes out if...

What if we win out against Zona (bball hopefully will set the tone in Tucsan) and beat our “rivals” the Utes meanwhile USC also rolls though the rest of their schedule unblemished. They end up being 5-0, 5 conference wins, 4 wins in the south. while we’re 5-0 as well with only 4 conference wins and 3 in the South. Our non-con W over SDSU would screw us in all the tiebreakers right? Which is BS since we lost a out a conference game due to USC not being able to field enough guys (The NFL would have made them play their female lacrosse team on the oline)... In this event, we simply need to let our christmas spirit lift our voices high to the tops of USC so we can peek Mike Bohn’s interest to do the right thing for the very same Buffs that he f**** with Hawkins, and sing so loud our voices ring to all the way to the Bay in SF and Larry Scott’s, tiny little heart grows and give us a nationally televised pac-12 South play-in game against the Trojans. With the winner taking on Washington or Oregon from the North, to reign Pac-12 supreme and earn the conference’s first playoff spot in a while with us as the 7-0 Pac-12 champ!!

Obviously a lot of what-ifs here and we still have two football games we need to win. Just realistically thinking ahead to what a **** sandwich it would be to not get a shot winning the South when the Trojans cancelled our game due to their rule breaking and waited until Thirsday when the UW/ Utah game had already been scheduled, forcing us to go non-con and now be just 1 of 2 pac-12 teams to beat SDSU in their last 7 games against the conference.

So let me get this straight, your worry is we go undefeated, and go to a bowl game with a big chip on our shoulder and something to prove?

Don't we win the South by default if USC's outbreak keeps them out another week because they're not within the average number of games played in the division?

So let me get this straight, your worry is we go undefeated, and go to a bowl game with a big chip on our shoulder and something to prove?
Yes. I’m all about the division Champ banners. Loved being the perrennial Big12 runner-up via the JV North in the early 2000s. But if we were to win out and don’t win the South, I guess we can still hang a banner. Scotty Frost did it at UCF.

Don't we win the South by default if USC's outbreak keeps them out another week because they're not within the average number of games played in the division?

Assuming that, you know, we actually play and win the games left on our schedule.

No, they've played 1 more conference game than us, they can miss the Wazzu game and be fine. Actually that's more of a risk for us if one of our opponents bail.

No, they've played 1 more conference game than us, they can miss the Wazzu game and be fine. Actually that's more of a risk for us if one of our opponents bail.
That's been moved back a day. Conference did the same thing with Utah-ASU........and we saw what happened there.

That's been moved back a day. Conference did the same thing with Utah-ASU........and we saw what happened there.
Not sure what your point is, they don't need that game, which is what I said. The minimum requirement is likely to be 4, in which case they only need to play UCLA next week. We have to play both our remaining games to reach 4.

Just listened to Yogi on a podcast and he said his understanding of the way it is going to work changed over the weekend and USC would be the South champs if we both win out because they have a better record due to more conference wins. Not how I think the rules read but I’d guess he got that straight from the conference.

Not sure what your point is, they don't need that game, which is what I said. The minimum requirement is likely to be 4, in which case they only need to play UCLA next week. We have to play both our remaining games to reach 4.

Not really trying to make one TBH. That's relevant to us-but it probably doesn't belong here.

Not really trying to make one TBH. That's relevant to us-but it probably doesn't belong here.
You're the one who asked the question of if we win the South by default "if USC's outbreak keeps them out another week", which the answer is clearly no even in a scenario where we win out.

Last edited:
Looking at the CFP rankings, I'd say the only way we win the South is if USC loses to Wazzu or UCLA.

We're not jumping them.

Just listened to Yogi on a podcast and he said his understanding of the way it is going to work changed over the weekend and USC would be the South champs if we both win out because they have a better record due to more conference wins. Not how I think the rules read but I’d guess he got that straight from the conference.
Translation: The Pac doesn't want us in the CCG.

We’re talking about the same USC team that has Clay Helton as a HC, and who needed a miracle to beat a bad Arizona team, and whose opponents this year are 0-6 combined, right? They are entirely capable of dropping games still - we just need to take care of business.

Any insight which bowl game is most likely if we lose this weekend?
Only 4 left with Pac 12 tie ins... One projection I've seen is Alamo vs Iowa State, but I assume that's if we are 5-0. If USC wins and then beats UW/Oregon in CCG, those two would have at least 2 losses, so Alamo still seems likely. If UW beast USC in CCG, and CU loses to Utah, feel like it's Armed Forces vs SEC.

The conference would rather have 2 teams ranked than 1 team ranked.
If we play sc in the championship game the looser most likely falls out of the top 25.

I dont think sc get by fUCLA this weekend, anyway.

The conference would rather have 2 teams ranked than 1 team ranked.
If we play sc in the championship game the looser most likely falls out of the top 25.

I dont think sc get by fUCLA this weekend, anyway.
I don't know about that. The SC team I saw on Sunday looked like they had their act together. By far the best performance I've seen by an SC team in a long time. It should be a pretty good game actually.

If USC beats UCLA and CU beats Utah, SC is likely in the top 10 and CU is top 20 (maybe top 15). Far more attractive Pac 12 Championship Game than the alternative, and the loser isn't dropping out of the top 25.

Back