What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How the South Shakes out if...

We all would have made a fortune already betting the 401k on the preseason Vegas over of 1.5 wins. As it is, I'll settle for a Buffs win at home against Utah. Maybe a UCLA win vs. USC, which actually could happen. Hey, at least CU is still in the talk, and ranked, late in this wacky season.

**** it. I think we finish the schedule and not throw a fit. Not much to do about it. I'll be ecstatic if this team finishes 6-0 after beating Utah and a decent bowl win. We might even end up with a top 15 finish, which would set this program up for recruiting very nicely.

Just playing out a worse scenario (IMO): If we were to lose to USC in a make-up game, I'd expect to end up in a ****tier bowl game, and then it's possible we don't finished ranked whether we win the bowl game or not.
Aren't all Pac teams supposed to play the weekend of the championship game? Did that change?

**** it. I think we finish the schedule and not throw a fit. Not much to do about it. I'll be ecstatic if this team finishes 6-0 after beating Utah and a decent bowl win. We might even end up with a top 15 finish, which would set this program up for recruiting very nicely.

Just playing out a worse scenario (IMO): If we were to lose to USC in a make-up game, I'd expect to end up in a ****tier bowl game, and then it's possible we don't finished ranked whether we win the bowl game or not.

I'm spitballing here-Could the CFP be a factor here? Go with me. I suppose if CU and USC both win out, you could have USC in the Fiesta Bowl as the Pac 12 champ (obv) and CU in the Peach or Cotton as an at large if we finish high enough. That's an extra $11-12m in bowl money for the league......which would help the league as a whole. That's why I think the Oregon-Washington loser is probably coming to Folsom on the 19th if we beat Utah and USC beats UCLA.

If not, the conference better ensure we end up in the Alamo Bowl. The idea that a reward for an undefeated season could be the ****ing Independence Bowl (against ****ing Army) is laughable.

So, hypothetically, let's say USC and CU both win this weekend while Oregon beats Washington. Would Oregon then play USC for the title, and then CU would play Washington for the runner up? And then, let's say CU wins their game against Washington while USC gets upset by Oregon. We'd end up being an undefeated 6-0, and still not win the conference??

There's no way CU is not considered the de facto conference champion in that context. Absolutely none.

The one thing I feel really good about right now is that I know HCKD, his staff and all the players are focusing on preparing for Friday night and the task at hand - what do we need to do to Beat Utah. That's all they are thinking about. This year has sucked big time for everyone, but it truly feels like the stars aligned to get our program out of the funk we've been on for the past too many years. Win the next game. After that, prep and get ready to win the next game - whenever, wherever that may be. Doesn't matter - this team is truly taking it one day at a time - a message they have bought into from a true leader. That's what they've been doing since spring ball was cancelled - one day at a time, what do I need to do to get better today.

I'm at a point now where I'm just happy that this team was able to go out and play, get better, do what they came to CU to do. Seeing the Hammer just go off - JBrou come back from 2 major injuries and have a bad hamstring on a returning starter open the door for him to break records that only 2020 could do - see a last string QB, turned safety turn load truck up for Oregon and enter the portal to get a chance to lead his team and open HCKD's era on a positive note. Seeing new additions earn instant playing playing time and putting a stamp on the next few years. It's been awesome. Even if we do find ourselves playing in the CCP and winning - most people outside the program will want to put an asterisk on it. That's why it's follow HCKD's lead and just prepare for, hope it happens then play the next game. I was hoping that this could be, as Stu put it in his latest column, a watershed type season. I just want them to keep doing what they are doing and finish what they started.

Go Buffs!

So, hypothetically, let's say USC and CU both win this weekend while Oregon beats Washington. Would Oregon then play USC for the title, and then CU would play Washington for the runner up? And then, let's say CU wins their game against Washington while USC gets upset by Oregon. We'd end up being an undefeated 6-0, and still not win the conference??

There's no way CU is not considered the de facto conference champion in that context. Absolutely none.
Remember 2016 when CU won the south and USC went to the Rose bowl?

Meh. You really want to complain about that after they beat us and then we got blown out in the CCG?

If I remember correctly they only beat us by 4 at home and without our starting QB. We were only down 7 at half against Washington when Sefo went out. Not denying we were terrible in our bowl game but we still deserved the Rose Bowl that year

If I remember correctly they only beat us by 4 at home and without our starting QB. We were only down 7 at half against Washington when Sefo went out. Not denying we were terrible in our bowl game but we still deserved the Rose Bowl that year

No. We lost to USC. Both teams had two conference losses. USC beat Washington. They deserved to go.

What is happening right now in Football feels like a repeat of Tad Boyle's first year here in 2010. A lot of people at the time were bummed that Bzdelik left, he spurned us much like Mel Tucker. We were unsure of Tad, coming from UNC did not seem like a big splash hire. It was also going to be Cory Higgins senior year which seemed to be setting a great player for a lackluster send off.

Then what happened was kind of magical. Tad came in, found Andre Roberson who became a standout almost immediately. Alec Burks played like a superstar. Higgins remained amazing. Boyle altered how they played and Buffs went from a preseason rank in B12 of 9th rising up to 5th. They ended with 3 wins over KState and a win over Texas both ranked teams. That Buffs team had 3 NBA players, and a bunch of solid guys backing them up and with Tad Boyle coaching they did really well. Then that year got more crazy when we were spurned from going to the NCAA tournament. We were shafted for various reasons. However, that gave us a big chip on our shoulder which actually propelled the program aggressively forward. We went into the NIT and made it to the finals and finished that year having done very well but still having a massive chip on our shoulder.

The next year, the Buffs with Tad Boyle kept that chip on their shoulder, and even without two of the NBA players on the previous team went out and won the Pac 12 tournament, which I think fundamentally altered how the program was viewed.

I was really pissed off at how the 2010 Basketball team was treated, but I can't deny that it worked out in a way that altered that program dramatically.

To an extent I hope the same thing happens this year in Football. This Football team needs something like that to happen. History doesn't repeat but it often rhythms.

Last edited:
No. We lost to USC. Both teams had two conference losses. USC beat Washington. They deserved to go.
We only had one conference loss, usc had two conference losses and three overall. But as the committee has shown they will punish you for getting blown out in the championship game. If Cu keeps that game with Washington closer we would have been in the rose.

We only had one conference loss, usc had two conference losses and three overall. But as the committee has shown they will punish you for getting blown out in the championship game. If Cu keeps that game with Washington closer we would have been in the rose.
I count losing in the championship game as a conference loss.

Meh. You really want to complain about that after they beat us and then we got blown out in the CCG?
Not really complaining. I was just responding to the comment that there is no way the conference could ignore an undefeated CU.

Hypothetical (calm down you one game at a timers)...

- CU (ranked 21 in CFP tonight??) beats Utah and USC beats UCLA, so CU misses the CCG at 5-0, but moves up to 15 or 16 in the CFP rankings.
- Gets matched up with the loser of Oregon/UW the week of the 12/19 and wins to get to 6-0 and moves to 10-12 in CFP.
- Would CU be considered for an at large bid in NY6?

Hypothetical (calm down you one game at a timers)...

- CU (ranked 21 in CFP tonight??) beats Utah and USC beats UCLA, so CU misses the CCG at 5-0, but moves up to 15 or 16 in the CFP rankings.
- Gets matched up with the loser of Oregon/UW the week of the 12/19 and wins to get to 6-0 and moves to 10-12 in CFP.
- Would CU be considered for an at large bid in NY6?
I'm not picking on you, TSchek, but what everyone seems to be ignoring is that we are just above average right now being that our only win against a P5 school with a winning record is 3-2 UCLA team.

My best case scenario:
+ CU finds a way to beat Utah despite those ****ers butt ****ing us for years
+ Survive to win a game against the loser of OU/UW
+ Win whatever the **** bowl game they put us in

UNDEFEATED MOTHER ****ERS!!!!!!!

I'm totally serious when I tell you I want nothing to do with a NY6 game. We experienced something close to that in 2016 when we were totally exposed in the P12C and the bowl game.

That has to help going in to next year for recruiting, where we definitely need help.

Build the fantasy, don't kill it. You build it enough, it is real!

Last edited:
I'm not picking on you, TSchek, but what everyone seems to be ignoring is that we are just above average right now being against a 3-2 UCLA team.

My best case scenario:

I'm totally serious when I tell you I want nothing to do with a NY6 game. We experienced something close to that in 2016 when we were totally exposed in the P12C and the bowl game.

That has to help going in to next year for recruiting, where we definitely need help.

Totally on board with you, Highlander. Best possible scenario for reviving recruiting.

I'm not picking on you, TSchek, but what everyone seems to be ignoring is that we are just above average right now being against a 3-2 UCLA team.

My best case scenario:

1607473499764.gif

I'm not picking on you, TSchek, but what everyone seems to be ignoring is that we are just above average right now being that our only win against a P5 school with a winning record is 3-2 UCLA team.

My best case scenario:

I see your point, but two teams from the Pac 12 in the NY6 is a lot more money and would create a lot of buzz around a Colorado program coming out of nowhere, regardless of outcome.

My best case scenario:

Buffs wouldn't get blown out by Cincinnati or Indiana and they are NY6 bound.

My best case scenario:

I asked Howell on twitter if he thought that had anything to do with the conference's lack of interest in a CU-USC championship game and he thinks we need to be 8 or 9 to get into the Peach or the Cotton Bowl. Possible given most conferences (and BYU) are sending all of their teams out Thanksgiving weekend-I wouldn't bet on it though. USC losing Saturday would help (duh). San Diego State beating BYU too. Cincy losing to Tulsa at least once. Root against anybody from 8-20 in this week's ranking.

At the end of the day, this is a total first world problem. I don't see a scenario where CU winds up in anything less than the Alamo Bowl. The opponent would be the Big 12 championship game loser (I gotta think) and either way that's a hell of an opportunity for this program under HCKD to get a ton of momentum going into next year. Matt Campbell has done an incredible job at Iowa State and Oklahoma's the best program west of the Mississippi.

Back