What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I really hate the Denver sports media

you can't run a "business" on nostalgia and tradition only.
I completely agree. I also don’t think Plati views CU athletics as a business.
It’s never been a business to him. He is a real throwback. Good guy, but I think he’d be surprised at how most AD’s are run and what’s expected out of the SID.

I quit both sports talk and cable news networks years ago. Don't miss the stale predictable garbage served up by them at all. I should write a self help book.

Step 1: Quit talk radio.
Step 2: Quit cable news.
Step 3: Quit Facebook altogether or at least cut back to just Happy Birthday posts and direct messages.
Step 4: Happiness!

Edit: Also, check out podcasts. No matter what your interests or hobbies are, there are so many great ones out there. Much, much better than listening to traditional talk radio.

Last edited:
That's not at all what you originally said, but please, tell us more about your extensive marketing experience and how it's a waste of time.
Ah, the old "if you haven't done it, you shouldn't have an opinion on it" chestnut. I don't have leprosy, but I know enough not to hang out at a leper colony. Guess that doesn't qualify with you though.

Carry on with the intense scrutiny of secondary things that won't ever fix the underlying problem.

Ah, the old "if you haven't done it, you shouldn't have an opinion on it" chestnut. I don't have leprosy, but I know enough not to hang out at a leper colony. Guess that doesn't qualify with you though.
Qualifies with me. So I expect that you would be able to figure out that while you may be an outlier, it is clear that marketing is effective for altering product image and consumer behavior.

I quit both sports talk and cable news networks years ago. Don't miss the stale predictable garbage served up by them at all. I should write a self help book.

Step 3: Quit Facebook altogether or at least cut back to just Happy Birthday posts and direct messages.
Step 4: Happiness!

Edit: Also, check out podcasts. No matter what your interests or hobbies are, there are so many great ones out there. Much, much better than listening to traditional talk radio.

Did that, never watched the news and Facebook is only for scrolling. It’s a much better life.

I sort of understand what CU is doing, they have been burned by local media before and decided to lock things down so that couldn’t happen again. The main issue is when you don’t leak any information and inform those media outlets it actually leads to uneducated and uninformed takes from people and there is no one to refute them. Adam and Howell and maybe some of the BSN people are essentially the only ones in the media outside of the AD that can set people straight. You don’t leak any information, invite these guys up to practices and other donor events and they will spout things like Brandon kristal did today. Seriously what do you think that guy knows about how CU recruiting is going? I would bet next to nothing. Rick Lewis has nothing to go off of other than two guys who have clear motives against what the football program is doing and who they are offering.

To make it even worse, you don’t allow those few guys who can defend the program against wild accusations to watch practice and you really don’t even treat them well. The AD didn’t even give Adam much insight into the coaching searches for god sakes And he is very respectful about keeping info silent until it is okay to release. So why would those guys even care to defend the program when they aren’t even treated well. Mac basically went off on Howell for asking about the fake field goal against UcLA, Howell didn’t attack him or anything he just asked for reasoning and if he thought it was a bad decision.

Carry on with the intense scrutiny of secondary things that won't ever fix the underlying problem.
I never said that. I am making fun of your opinion that marketing doesn't work.

I have talked about my family's OU ties and OUBuff isn't the only Buff fan with OU ties. When I started watching CU sports, it was just perfect timing as it was 1989 and they beat Nebraska which I wanted to see happen after the Cornheads beat OU in Norman the previous year. Boom! I have been a CU fan ever since but there were times that I was tempted to go back to OU sports only but that didn't happen. If I just moved here to Colorado right now, I'm not so sure I'd hook up with CU this time around...maybe I would have still done so due to Tad Boyle's success.

I think the late Barnett, Hawkins, Embree, and early MacIntyre years really did some long term damage to the CU brand especially when it comes to trying to grow the fanbase simply due to the noncompetitive squads they had especially under Hawkins & Embree. If it wasn't for Boyle's Buffs teams that played well while football was in the crapper, I think I would have gone back to OU sports full time by now. If we can have at least a few more 2016 seasons under MacIntyre in addition to sustained success for Boyle's MBB squad, CU will be cool in Colorado again.

I don't ever want to see 2008 and 2009 in Boulder again...those were BAD BAD BAD years since football was dead in the water and both MBB & WBB finished in last place in the Big 12. I'm sure that was around the time that CU decided it could no longer stay in the Big 12.

Now, I think it wouldn't be smart for anyone to want Boyle replaced...he might have saved CU's brand from being beyond repair.

I sort of understand what CU is doing, they have been burned by local media before and decided to lock things down so that couldn’t happen again. The main issue is when you don’t leak any information and inform those media outlets it actually leads to uneducated and uninformed takes from people and there is no one to refute them. Adam and Howell and maybe some of the BSN people are essentially the only ones in the media outside of the AD that can set people straight. You don’t leak any information, invite these guys up to practices and other donor events and they will spout things like Brandon kristal did today. Seriously what do you think that guy knows about how CU recruiting is going? I would bet next to nothing. Rick Lewis has nothing to go off of other than two guys who have clear motives against what the football program is doing and who they are offering.

To make it even worse, you don’t allow those few guys who can defend the program against wild accusations to watch practice and you really don’t even treat them well. The AD didn’t even give Adam much insight into the coaching searches for god sakes And he is very respectful about keeping info silent until it is okay to release. So why would those guys even care to defend the program when they aren’t even treated well. Mac basically went off on Howell for asking about the fake field goal against UcLA, Howell didn’t attack him or anything he just asked for reasoning and if he thought it was a bad decision.
I hated that response to Howell's question. It was really a softball when you think about it. "I had confidence in the call and it was something we looked for in that situation. Credit to the UCLA player for making an outstanding play. And, obviously, any time I make a call that doesn't work it was the wrong call in hindsight." Boom. Next question.

I get the impression that despite the financial stakes and the time spent in front of the press that universities and professional teams don't actually have their coaches spend some time doing media training with outside consultants. That's standard practice for any company of decent size and their spokespeople aren't in front of the camera nearly as much as football and basketball coaches. Weird to me. But it's pretty obvious that they don't emphasize it as organizations and probably do little more than some cursory stuff internally with the SID.

Step 4: Join AllBuffs if you haven't done so!
Step 5: Happiness!

Fixed for ya!

I completely agree. I also don’t think Plati views CU athletics as a business.
It’s never been a business to him. He is a real throwback. Good guy, but I think he’d be surprised at how most AD’s are run and what’s expected out of the SID.

And the Allbuffs misconception on Dave Plati continues. Full disclosure - I consider Dave Plati a friend and I enjoy sitting down with him and chatting about CU sports and sports history. NEWS Flash - the SID is not responsible for promoting and advertising of CU athletics - that is the responsibility of Buffalo Sports properties headed by Lance Gerlach - totally different department. The CUBUFFS.com website and social media do not come under Plati. Community Outreach does not come under Plati.
B.G. Brooks and Neill Woelk do not report to Dave Plati. The SIDs job is to make it easier for the Media to cover CU athletics - and if you talk to the media members they will pretty much tell you that Plati is one of the best in the business. Whenever you see a human interest story in the paper about a CU football player you can bet that Dave Plati set that up. Talk to Joel Klatt or Chris Fowler about Plati - Joel will tell you how Plati helped get him into broadcasting. Chris Fowler will tell you Plati is the best.

Plati does not run the AD - not even close. The AD has a large staff - I do not know the the numbers but I guess at over 150 not counting coaches. Plati's job is more tactical than strategic - he prepares stats, the football media guide, responds to media request regarding the football program (football, Men's golf and skiing are the only sports Dave is responsible for anymore), prepares weekly reports for media covering the football game including all those little known facts that announcers throw out during the course of the game, sets up interview between the press and players and coaches. He is not in the role of making strategic decisions.

Dave Plati has had health issues in the past several years and has taken a step back from many responsibilities that he use to carry (working 80 hour weeks all of the time). CU is very lucky to have Dave Plati on board and I do get tired of people blaming Dave for stuff he is not responsible for. Most of these complaints come under the AD who makes a lot more than the SID does. I think the wrath is misplaced.

And the Allbuffs misconception on Dave Plati continues. Full disclosure - I consider Dave Plati a friend and I enjoy sitting down with him and chatting about CU sports and sports history. NEWS Flash - the SID is not responsible for promoting and advertising of CU athletics - that is the responsibility of Buffalo Sports properties headed by Lance Gerlach - totally different department. The CUBUFFS.com website and social media do not come under Plati. Community Outreach does not come under Plati.
B.G. Brooks and Neill Woelk do not report to Dave Plati. The SIDs job is to make it easier for the Media to cover CU athletics - and if you talk to the media members they will pretty much tell you that Plati is one of the best in the business. Whenever you see a human interest story in the paper about a CU football player you can bet that Dave Plati set that up. Talk to Joel Klatt or Chris Fowler about Plati - Joel will tell you how Plati helped get him into broadcasting. Chris Fowler will tell you Plati is the best.

Plati does not run the AD - not even close. The AD has a large staff - I do not know the the numbers but I guess at over 150 not counting coaches. Plati's job is more tactical than strategic - he prepares stats, the football media guide, responds to media request regarding the football program (football, Men's golf and skiing are the only sports Dave is responsible for anymore), prepares weekly reports for media covering the football game including all those little known facts that announcers throw out during the course of the game, sets up interview between the press and players and coaches. He is not in the role of making strategic decisions.

Dave Plati has had health issues in the past several years and has taken a step back from many responsibilities that he use to carry (working 80 hour weeks all of the time). CU is very lucky to have Dave Plati on board and I do get tired of people blaming Dave for stuff he is not responsible for. Most of these complaints come under the AD who makes a lot more than the SID does. I think the wrath is misplaced.
There are quite a few misconceptions on this board from all kinds of self appointed experts.

Last edited:

The wrath is misplaced.

However, there is some other stuff that Plati has not been great with and he does not walk on water.

-- When he has dipped his toe into "spin doctoring" instead of providing access & information, he has far from a deft hand. Often does more harm than good with his emotional, often angry, protective mama bird routine for CU and the CU people.

-- He was way behind the curve when it came to the digital age, it rubs him the wrong way that people who aren't trained in journalism have such a loud & often anonymous voice, and he has mishandled all of his dealings with digital outlets.

On a positive note, which you didn't mention, is that he and his catering company supposedly put out one heck of a nice spread in the press box that the media very much appreciates.

The wrath is misplaced.

However, there is some other stuff that Plati has not been great with and he does not walk on water.

-- When he has dipped his toe into "spin doctoring" instead of providing access & information, he has far from a deft hand. Often does more harm than good with his emotional, often angry, protective mama bird routine for CU and the CU people.

-- He was way behind the curve when it came to the digital age, it rubs him the wrong way that people who aren't trained in journalism have such a loud & often anonymous voice, and he has mishandled all of his dealings with digital outlets.

On a positive note, which you didn't mention, is that he and his catering company supposedly put out one heck of a nice spread in the press box that the media very much appreciates.
he's good at food. noted.

Without hearing/reading the actual comments from Logan, I have no doubt Lewis twisted them to fit his agenda. Lewis got beat up on twitter for it though.

Did the twitter folks wax the floor with him?
Yep. And the good thing is that it has him more interested & engaged in the Buffs. Made him think that there just might be an audience for some Buffs talk. He reached out a bit today.

fwiw, this was my response:

Between these exchanges and Brandon krisztal the Denver media is worse than I thought. Our coaching staff does, “inexplicable things in recruiting.” That’s a baseless comment if I’ve ever seen one.

I admit I incorrectly assumed Plati was responsible for handling the relationship between the CU AD and the media. I genuinely thought that was his job.

I had a really late lunch today. Turned to 1340 and, low and behold, Irv and Joe were on. And somehow the world seemed right again.

I thought that Irv retired?
I think he is on a couple of times a week. He sounded pretty good for an octogenarian.

After work I fired up the car and Less Shapiro and Eric Goodman were on talking Broncos and the world came crashing down again.

There is a lot of BS here. Plati has shouted down members of the media that cover CU for a living. He has attacked and screamed at long-time fans of the programs. He has intimidated students who are training in the SID. He has ridiculed members of the National media. He is an utter disgrace to CU and should have been fired many, many years ago but no one at CU has the guts to do so.

It would be nice to know what Plati’s job actually is. That seems to be a moving target.

what-exactly-would-you-say-you-do-here.jpg

Kiz is still employed by the DP because too many DP readers are too easily attracted to negative news which does a better job grabbing one's attention than positive news. Since the DP is now behind a paywall, I'm done with them.

It would be nice to know what Plati’s job actually is. That seems to be a moving target.

Someone has to write press releases.
And arrange media interviews with players and coaches.
Organize pre game interviews and teasers for National TV providers covering home games.
Manage press and interviews before and after practices.
Manage press conferences.
Credential local and out of state media for press box and field access.
Generate game rosters.
Keep game stats.
Develop Media guides.
Do the above for 12 different sports.

Someone has to write press releases.
And arrange media interviews with players and coaches.
Organize pre game interviews and teasers for National TV providers covering home games.
Manage press and interviews before and after practices.
Manage press conferences.
Credential local and out of state media for press box and field access.
Generate game rosters.
Keep game stats.
Develop Media guides.
Do the above for 12 different sports.
Ok, so he does handle the relationship with the local media then? That’s what this thread is about, but I was told that Plati isn’t responsible for dealing with disinformation coming from the local media regarding the CU AD.

So is he or isn’t he involved with dealing with the local media and ensuring they have a complete and accurate picture of the athletic department?

Back