What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I really hate the Denver sports media

What school credentials a fan run message board?

As to the suggestion that schools get players on talk radio - take that up with the coaches. They usually do not like making players available to the press and when they do they want it controlled. I remember in the 90s when CU use to have a chat room and Ben Kelly was on there and said only half of the players liked Rick Neuheisal - that ended players going on that venue.

Why don't the talk shows talk about CU sports more - because the callers don't call in and talk about it. Irv Brown use to say that in order to keep your ratings you have to talk about what the callers want to talk about - in Denver that is the Broncos first and probably the Rockies second. After that it is everything else. No amount of kissing up is going to change that.

As to the suggestion that schools get players on talk radio - take that up with the coaches. They usually do not like making players available to the press and when they do they want it controlled. I remember in the 90s when CU use to have a chat room and Ben Kelly was on there and said only half of the players liked Rick Neuheisal - that ended players going on that venue.

Why don't the talk shows talk about CU sports more - because the callers don't call in and talk about it. Irv Brown use to say that in order to keep your ratings you have to talk about what the callers want to talk about - in Denver that is the Broncos first and probably the Rockies second. After that it is everything else. No amount of kissing up is going to change that.
So it's all hopeless and CU is doing everything right?

How do the sports talk shows discern what listeners want to talk about? What I know is that on the rare occasion they do talk college sports, there is a ton of interest. When the radio guys talk CU sports a lot of people call in. Yet they say listeners only care about the Broncos. How do they know that?

I can understand not credentialing a message board. They can't control the content and they can't have the control over members to protect against recruiting issues.

Both on the message boards and in talk radio they aren't going to control the content, not happening.

Ignoring them though isn't going to make them go away and will more likely result in negative content.

Work with them, provide a positive or favorable voice and you are much more likely to have a positive response from both.

I can understand not credentialing a message board. They can't control the content and they can't have the control over members to protect against recruiting issues.

Both on the message boards and in talk radio they aren't going to control the content, not happening.

Ignoring them though isn't going to make them go away and will more likely result in negative content.

Work with them, provide a positive or favorable voice and you are much more likely to have a positive response from both.
There are things they could do with the message boards that are well short of giving credentials.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking it would be pretty damn easy and cheap to have someone reach out and extend an invite for a free pass to send a representative to the post signing day banquet, the weekly luncheons, etc. Maybe invite us all into one of the suites at the spring game where Lance Carl or someone would say a few words and shake a few hands.

I can tell you personally that if I ended up going to something like that under an AB invite that I would absolutely appreciate it, write some very nice things, and be much quicker to defend/ slower to attack when issues came up. I think CU would be amazed what a sandwich, a beer and some personal interaction -- even the offer of it -- would buy them.

There are things they could do with the message boards that are well short of giving credentials.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking it would be pretty damn easy and cheap to have someone reach out and extend an invite for a free pass to send a representative to the post signing day banquet, the weekly luncheons, etc. Maybe invite us all into one of the suites at the spring game where Lance Carl or someone would say a few words and shake a few hands.

I can tell you personally that if I ended up going to something like that under an AB invite that I would absolutely appreciate it, write some very nice things, and be much quicker to defend/ slower to attack when issues came up. I think CU would be amazed what a sandwich, a beer and some personal interaction -- even the offer of it -- would buy them.

And this is what I am talking about.

Not everybody on this board is a big donor or even a season ticket holder. What we are though is the fans who have enough passion about the Buffs to care enough to participate here. They aren't going to control what we think or say but some positive interaction would have a real positive impact and I think extend way past this board.

Allbuffs should do a 6 month fund raiser and then donate it to the CUAD. I bet they’d appreciate the $147.37.

Allbuffs should do a 6 month fund raiser and then donate it to the CUAD. I bet they’d appreciate the $147.37.
Allbuffs has been a season ticket holder for ten years. Not that we buy expensive seats, but we get people to the games that wouldn’t otherwise be there. We have actively promoted attendance at games at a time when they were playing some horrible football.

Allbuffs has been a season ticket holder for ten years. Not that we buy expensive seats, but we get people to the games that wouldn’t otherwise be there. We have actively promoted attendance at games at a time when they were playing some horrible football.
Plus the time and money our members donate under your leadership & hosting to offer a tailgate to anyone who comes to a CU football game.

If the AD wanted, they could be like companies that engage consumers on message boards. I know that Ford regularly has people monitor and respond to questions on product forums (like explorerforum.com) and the former CTO of Visio used to post regularly on the Visio sub forums on avsforum.com.

For those of you who know such things, is the CU office of the SID behind in the use of social media?
This is not my area of expertise, but the more tech savvy mods/admins on AB have told me that the CU athletics department is maybe better than average when compared to other ADs around the country but still significantly behind what those of us in the corporate world would consider dynamic or cutting edge with a social marketing platform. Maybe one of those guys can expound on some things that could be enhanced. I know there are challenges with the politics and red tape of making fast moves in hiring, budget approvals, etc. and with making quick field pivots on tactics within a university culture.

This is not my area of expertise, but the more tech savvy mods/admins on AB have told me that the CU athletics department is maybe better than average when compared to other ADs around the country but still significantly behind what those of us in the corporate world would consider dynamic or cutting edge with a social marketing platform. Maybe one of those guys can expound on some things that could be enhanced. I know there are challenges with thethey haven't politics and red tape of making fast moves in hiring, budget approvals, etc. and with making quick field pivots on tactics within a university culture.

Thanks. It's good to hear that they haven't fallen significantly behind the competition.

Has anyone written Rick George an email about the closed practices? From my understanding, he’s good about responding to people.

How many emails do you guys get from the University overall, not just from the AD?

Amen!

How many emails do you guys get from the University overall, not just from the AD?
I probably get 5-10 a week from the AD. Mostly because I'm a season ticket holder for multiple sports and we're in-season with the basketball programs. I get a lot of ticket offers and gameday schedules.

I might get 1 every couple weeks from the university. Probably less. I think I get more from CU-Colorado Springs because I donated a little bit after the officer was killed at the women's health clinic.

So back to the OP... Dave Logan spoke with Adam and explained the origin of his on-air comments about CU recruiting. Basically, he has a case of the "Sackman Justinian Jessups" with the Pomona WR, Billy Pospisil. Knows the kid and family extremely well and thinks he should at least be offered by CU. Just because Washington State offers a WR, does that mean he should automatically be offered by CU? With the way our WR recruiting has been going under Chev, I don't see how anyone can say that should be the case.

I'll assume that Dave's account is completely honest because I have no reason to question it.

If so, there was a complete miscommunication with something lost in translation because the way he described his comments was very specific to one single player he believes in. What got tweeted and set CU fans off was that this opinion was generalized to all of CU's in-state recruiting.

I'll assume that Dave's account is completely honest because I have no reason to question it.

If so, there was a complete miscommunication with something lost in translation because the way he described his comments was very specific to one single player he believes in. What got tweeted and set CU fans off was that this opinion was generalized to all of CU's in-state recruiting.
Dave's comments shouldn't mean s*** in the big scope of things. He's a HS football coach. End of story. Better than some, worse than others. All HS coaches have opinions on their players and opponents. They just don't have a forum to express their opinions. Because Dave does, he should be very careful about what he says. For the record, I know a half dozen other coaches who think Pospisil still has work to do to get recruited by bigger programs and the only reason WSU jumped in was the Borghi connection. Right or wrong...all opinions.

Both Brandon Krizstal (BK) and Rick Lewis said exactly what was being discussed. CU doesn’t recruit well enough in-state. Both work with Logan. McChesney also says this **** and I heard it weeks ago with BK.

As others said this kid has been recruited over. Maybe in years past.

Both Brandon Krizstal (BK) and Rick Lewis said exactly what was being discussed. CU doesn’t recruit well enough in-state. Both work with Logan. McChesney also says this **** and I heard it weeks ago with BK.

As others said this kid has been recruited over. Maybe in years past.
I like McChesney, but you have to take EVERYTHING he says with a huge grain of salt. If you pay him the $500/month to workout at SixZero you're automatically one of the best in the state according to him. Warranted or not.

The point is that all of these media guys should be in the know. Someone from CU should be feeding them information so they can understand CU’s goals in recruiting or whatever else. If you feed them good information, I don’t think they will be so hostile (especially Dave Logan who does care about the Buffs).

I don’t know what CU does and does not in the media department. I am simply making an assumption that CU can improve it’s media relations. There is no reason for these media guys to be hostile, unless they are being shut out.

And the average listener assumes these media guys know what they are talking about. Might as well give them the correct information so they don’t make assumptions and misinform the public.

Back