What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I really hate the Denver sports media

Someone has to write press releases.
And arrange media interviews with players and coaches.
Organize pre game interviews and teasers for National TV providers covering home games.
Manage press and interviews before and after practices.
Manage press conferences.
Credential local and out of state media for press box and field access.
Generate game rosters.
Keep game stats.
Develop Media guides.
Do the above for 12 different sports.
That's b.s. if you're trying to give the impression that Plati personally does all of that for 12 sports. I think that men's golf is the only sport for which he handles all the day-to-day stuff you're talking about.

Kiz is still employed by the DP because too many DP readers are too easily attracted to negative news which does a better job grabbing one's attention than positive news. Since the DP is now behind a paywall, I'm done with them.

I think Kiz tried emulate Rick Reilly, but wound up being a cheap suit version of same. A questionable goal in the first place.

That's b.s. if you're trying to give the impression that Plati personally does all of that for 12 sports. I think that men's golf is the only sport for which he handles all the day-to-day stuff you're talking about.

True. Given the travel involved there is no way he could do it all. He supervises the Sports Information Department though and its employees. His sports are Football, Mens Golf, and Skiing. Football is probably the most demanding in terms of managing media requests.

Associate AD/Sports Information Director - FB, MGLF, SKI

Troy Andre
Associate SID
Internet Managing Editor - MBB, CUBuffs.com

Linda Sprouse
Associate SID VB, XC, LAX

Jason Clay
Associate SID FB, SKI

Andy Schlichting
Assistant SID WBB, SOC

Maggie Still
Assistant SID T&F, TEN, WGOLF

Neill Woelk
Contributing Editor

Mark Johnson
Director of Audio Broadcasting

Ryan Megay
Graduate Assistant

but I was told that Plati isn’t responsible for dealing with disinformation coming from the local media regarding the CU AD.

So is he or isn’t he involved with dealing with the local media and ensuring they have a complete and accurate picture of the athletic department?

I dont know how you deal with that other than being available to answer questions beforehand and then calling after publication to point out where they made a mistake. I am aware of reporters that made constant mistakes that got on his bad side. And others that were so endeared to him he eventually hired them. I dont think there is much more you can do

All I know is that Plati hates fan websites like Allbuffs, hates anonymous posters and, therefore, hates me.

All I know is that Plati hates fan websites like Allbuffs, hates anonymous posters and, therefore, hates me.
That's kind of the crux of the negativity toward Plati. He comes across as having very much an "us versus them" attitude toward things and that message board fans are not part of his "us".

That's kind of the crux of the negativity toward Plati. He comes across as having very much an "us versus them" attitude toward things and that message board fans are not part of his "us".
Meh, well, he can kiss our message board asses then (y).

Let's see, just theoretically, a lot of guys here are lukewarm or cold on MM, hate the PAC-12 T.V. Network, and are very cool on Dave Plati. Got it. I'm going to file this away for the next time that I'm accused of being anti-CU here. So hard to keep up....

Let's see, just theoretically, a lot of guys here are lukewarm or cold on MM, hate the PAC-12 T.V. Network, and are very cool on Dave Plati. Got it. I'm going to file this away for the next time that I'm accused of being anti-CU here. So hard to keep up....

I’m not at all very cool on Plati

Just to be clear, I think Plati does a very good job and I do not dislike the guy. I just don’t believe he likes message board types and the fact that we occasionally post attacks on players, coaches and the program and do so in anonymity. And I sort of understand his way of thinking. But I think he’s wrong. Most of us love and support the program. And our criticism is, generally, well intended and acts to hold the program accountable. Most of us are well educated, thoughtful supporters of the program. Many of us are donors and season ticket holders. That give us a right to be critical from time to time.

Plati is a guy who bleeds Black and Gold.

He is also a dinosaur. He is a guy who is completely prepared to deal with the media and the fan base as it was 35 years ago, but is completely out of touch now.

Plati comes from a time when the newspapers were the dominant form of media. Everything could be filtered based on his relationship with the writers and he had a great relationship with those writers. He kept them fed, got them drunk as needed, and gave them stories. He controlled most of what was written and most of what went on the TV as other than the games all he had to deal with was a few local sports guys with 3-4 minutes a night to fill.

Talk radio was just starting up but again the guys who did it were his buddies. KOA carried the games and wasn't going to say anything that Plati objected to. Irv and Joe were the only thing close to independent but Joe was a CU fan and Irv had been a coach at CU and was a friend of half the staff there.

Plati hates message boards like this one because he has zero control of the content. He couldn't control it when the fans spread wearing powder blue as a protest and couldn't control people finding out how many participated. He couldn't control people posting about Hawkins losing the team or Embree dividing the team and going on profane rants. He couldn't control the stories about Butch Jones and the food cart or about the fans not showing up when we were in the depths.

In the old days Plati could have called up a few people and said "Hey guys, do me a favor and don't run that. I'll get you a different story and then give you something inside when we make a move." and the media would go along. Now if he tried that with the mods on the board when they finished laughing they would tell him to send over a release which would get posted for all to critique as they see fit.

Plati wishes he could just shut down the internet but that isn't going to happen. As I was writing this I had a thought that part of the reason that CU gets almost no discussion on talk radio is because Plati has tried to pretend that doesn't exist either. A different SID would be pushing players on the shows for interviews, sending sound bites, bringing the radio guys in for a free meal or even a couple rounds of golf along with contact with coaches and players but since he can't control the content he shuts them out as much as he can get away with.

You know what Plati is absolutely elite on in his job? Getting the tv crews who are visiting Boulder prepared to cover the Buffs. Not just his media guides, but all the other stuff that goes into getting them familiar with that year's team and program history along with providing them some anecdotes & factoids they can sprinkle into the broadcast. Plus he takes care of them while they're here. Plati is an instrumental part of why most media folks will say that covering a game at CU is a really good gig.

You know what Plati is absolutely elite on in his job? Getting the tv crews who are visiting Boulder prepared to cover the Buffs. Not just his media guides, but all the other stuff that goes into getting them familiar with that year's team and program history along with providing them some anecdotes & factoids they can sprinkle into the broadcast. Plus he takes care of them while they're here. Plati is an instrumental part of why most media folks will say that covering a game at CU is a really good gig.

The food spreads - top notch

Agree with this completely.

If we could have somebody else in charge who is more in tune with the current media climate Plati would be a huge asset doing what he does best, the stuff you mentioned.

He is also very good on game day feeding the media information. He is very good at building relationships and trust with the network guys.

I like Dave and despite some missteps think he has good intentions for CU. I just think that time has passed him by and he needs to be working at what he does best while leaving the big picture to someone who works better in the current environment.

I’ve heard the National media guy’s doing CU broadcasts speak highly of him during the broadcasts.

Anonymous posters can get away with saying whatever they want. Can make up complete lies that take hold. Can actually be an insider in the programming leaking stuff he or she shouldnt because they are disgruntled. Can be a player with an agenda or an axe to grind.

Certainly there are things we post here, positions we take, that'd we probably never take on facebook (politics) that we can on here because of the anonymity.

Back on the old Netbuffs I posted something. Some former player saw it and sent it to him. He sent me a pretty harsh email because back then there was a link to your screen name. We exchanged a few, he eventually remembered me, and we left on good terms. He's passionate about the school and dogged about guarding its reputation. Or at least trying. Im not gonna fault him for that. But, in terms of online media and chat boards, the genie is out of the bottle. So there isnt much more he can do.

Anonymous posters can get away with saying whatever they want. Can make up complete lies that take hold. Can actually be an insider in the programming leaking stuff he or she shouldnt because they are disgruntled. Can be a player with an agenda or an axe to grind.

Certainly there are things we post here, positions we take, that'd we probably never take on facebook (politics) that we can on here because of the anonymity.

Back on the old Netbuffs I posted something. Some former player saw it and sent it to him. He sent me a pretty harsh email because back then there was a link to your screen name. We exchanged a few, he eventually remembered me, and we left on good terms. He's passionate about the school and dogged about guarding its reputation. Or at least trying. Im not gonna fault him for that. But, in terms of online media and chat boards, the genie is out of the bottle. So there isnt much more he can do.
So you do agree on this note. It's a different world.

To give an idea of how different: if I posted something on AB (or any of you did) that really pissed Plati off and it resulted in him sending me a message to try to intimidate me to release a name or retract or vent or whatever... my response would be to post his message on the board and make an ass out of him. Other sites are the same way. Public figures & entities need to adapt to this new reality (not really "new" now since it's been like this for well over a decade).

So you do agree on this note. It's a different world.

To give an idea of how different: if I posted something on AB (or any of you did) that really pissed Plati off and it resulted in him sending me a message to try to intimidate me to release a name or retract or vent or whatever... my response would be to post his message on the board and make an ass out of him. Other sites are the same way. Public figures & entities need to adapt to this new reality (not really "new" now since it's been like this for well over a decade).

I agree that its a different world. My problem with anonymous boards, when it comes to inside information (scoop), is that for every 1 poster that has it there are 100 that dont but claim to. Thus, anyone can say whatever they want. Its all just a bunch of non factual static that doesnt have credibility because there is no one filtering. There are no editors. And then there is the racism that gets posted.

For the rest of us outside the non factual stuff, its fun place to hang out and chat.

Im not not sure what he got after you about. It surprises me that they dont use the courts more to get at it people. Given their resources they probably could, at the least, leave you or Allbuffs with a legal bill for having to defend yourselves. Even if Snow does it pro bono its a cost to him.

I agree that its a different world. My problem with anonymous boards, when it comes to inside information (scoop), is that for every 1 poster that has it there are 100 that dont but claim to. Thus, anyone can say whatever they want. Its all just a bunch of non factual static that doesnt have credibility because there is no one filtering. There are no editors. And then there is the racism that gets posted.

For the rest of us outside the non factual stuff, its fun place to hang out and chat.

Im not not sure what he got after you about. It surprises me that they dont use the courts more to get at it people. Given their resources they probably could, at the least, leave you or Allbuffs with a legal bill for having to defend yourselves. Even if Snow does it pro bono its a cost to him.
He got pissed that someone on AB brought up the old infraction by Plati from when he used CU resources to call sex chat lines while on road trips. After the AB mod team refused to delete the post it ended the line of communication.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=1784302

You think CU's gonna sue us? :ROFLMAO:

He got pissed that someone on AB brought up the old infraction by Plati from when he used CU resources to call sex chat lines while on road trips. After the AB mod team refused to delete the post it ended the line of communication.

And here are our other experiences:

1. We once looked into getting a media credential so we could hire someone to cover CU stuff. The demand if we would even be considered for that would be providing a database with the real names and contact information for every one of you.

2. We pivoted to wanting to give a CU student journalist an opportunity to build his/her portfolio by publishing content on Allbuffs and that we'd be able to kick that person a small fee for doing so. Seemed like a win/win/win, right? Fans get more content, CU gets more exposure while supporting its journalism students, and a young person gets a platform to find his/her voice and build a portfolio of work. The stipulations put on this ended up being that all content had to be first published by the CU paper with it having editorial control and that any violation of this would result in the student losing his/her press credentials to cover CU. We even tried to work with that, but as you all saw it resulted in generic crap that wasn't worth paying for and did the student journalist no good either.

3. I had a personal breakfast meet up that I won't go into because it's my personal choice not to do so. Cool that he met up, gave the time, and was generally very friendly. Some things about the experience were not ideal.

This gets me back to my initial question as to whether it’s time for Plati to hang it up. Dude’s been doing this for a long time. Get some fresh perspective in there. I know people who like him will go to the mat for him. That’s great, but it also tends to put blinders on.

Yeah, not a moment he is proud of Im sure.

No, I don't think they will. I am just saying that it seemed to me institutions *like* that *could* try to subpoena such information as part of some kind of defamation civil suit. I am sort of surprised that it doesn't happen more. Then again that kind of intimidation campaign doesn't play well in the public. Thats all.

And here are our other experiences:

1. We once looked into getting a media credential so we could hire someone to cover CU stuff. The demand if we would even be considered for that would be providing a database with the real names and contact information for every one of you.

2. We pivoted to wanting to give a CU student journalist an opportunity to build his/her portfolio by publishing content on Allbuffs and that we'd be able to kick that person a small fee for doing so. Seemed like a win/win/win, right? Fans get more content, CU gets more exposure while supporting its journalism students, and a young person gets a platform to find his/her voice and build a portfolio of work. The stipulations put on this ended up being that all content had to be first published by the CU paper with it having editorial control and that any violation of this would result in the student losing his/her press credentials to cover CU. We even tried to work with that, but as you all saw it resulted in generic crap that wasn't worth paying for and did the student journalist no good either.

3. I had a personal breakfast meet up that I won't go into because it's my personal choice not to do so. Cool that he met up, gave the time, and was generally very friendly. Some things about the experience were not ideal.

Yeah, he is certainly rooted in the older more traditional media. Things are starting to seem to be settled with what online will be. Eventually some internet only publications are going to get credentialed.

That was a good idea by the way. Unfortunately I think the bar was set when he refused to credential Smitty from Netbuffs and then Smitty sued and that whole row happened.

Maybe the next guy will be more amenable

Back