What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I really hate the Denver sports media

I canceled my subscription as well. They went to, like, $180 a year for the digital version. No way I’m paying that much to read a sports section featuring Mark Kiszla. And I know some here disagree with me, but the way they railroaded Terry Frei pissed me off. And I don’t even like Terry Frei. I’ve actually been considering giving the Colorado Springs Gazette a shot. They have some really good sports writers.

I finally paid my $20 to Allbuffs just so I could ignore the politics forum. Maybe the Post could increase revenue by charging more to not get access to Kiszla columns.

Local TV newsrooms are getting cut as well.

With the fracturing of the market local news broadcast are no longer catching significant majorities of viewers..
They aren't interested in funding investigative stories when they can run two car crashes and a bloody shooting for much cheaper.

Historically, printed newspapers were a guarantee to advertisers because they reached (targeting) all levels of educated persons and the middle class with their higher levels of discretionary income. You'd see ads for Department Stores, Jewelry Stores and the like Instead of Frank Azar. That was their revenue engine. $50,000 for a full page ad. In the late 1990s subscriptions declines began and advertisers started to notice the spend wasnt returning for their clients. Ad agency clients also started their own web pages and put their sales and prices there. Web only content began to compete or replace newspaper content. Writing is cheap. Barriers to entry were printing presses and distribution networks compared to hosting and launching a website.

TV newsrooms may have been cut but not nearly on the scale or scope as news papers. TV and Print are completely different animals. Newspapers had much larger newsrooms than TV did. TV has network programming provided to it and that Network pays extraordinary amounts of money to secure content (both live sports and other programming) on behalf of their franchisees. Print had some wire service content but most papers the size of the Post produced three fourths of the content on their own. TV is completely dependent sound bites and or compelling video (its getting better every day for this). TV stations might put their local news pieces online. But you cant watch a football game or your favorite TV show on 9News.com or CBSDenver.com. In other words, their best programming is not online forcing you to watch live and propel ratings which serves advertising rates. Barriers to entry are expensive cameras and broadcasting equipment, an FCC license, and a franchise fee to a major broadcast network.

Last edited:
Yep. To produce and to distribute. Problem is on the revenue side. They lost the core of their advertising to Craig's List (classifieds), Realtor.com (real estate section), Indeed.com (classifieds, again) and to digital coupons. They also lost some of their core reason for existing with all of the websites that handle parts of what used to be in the newspaper and do it better than the newspapers ever did such as the personals being replaced by dating sites. With sports, they still do a great job with previews and features but they lost almost the entire audience for the box scores because by the time the paper comes out it's history rather than news.
Good point on the advertising revenue. I failed to think about that. They should put out some sort of “Consumer Reports” type of buying guide or something. Or team with corporate sponsors.

I would think a digital paper would be way less expensive to produce than hard copy.

Their digital subscription pricing model is upside down. To get Unlimited Digital Access and Sunday-only home delivery of the print newspaper, it costs $7.58 per month. Okay, fair enough. But if you only want the Unlimited Digital access and NO printed newspaper at all (and all the associated inserts and junk that always clutters up the house), it costs $11.99 per month - which is nuts. It costs them money to pay a guy to pick up a load of papers and drive around at 4 AM on Sundays and toss the plastic bag onto your driveway - not to mention the cost of printing the thing in the first place. Yet you have to PAY THEM [$4.41 per month] to NOT have their delivery man drive up to your house and throw that thing on your driveway every Sunday. Even though I live within the delivery area, I DON'T want a physical paper. It makes a mess and then I have to dispose or recycle it to get rid of it. I just want the online access, but there's no way I'm going to pay a 60% fee to have them not come to my house. If they charged LESS for Digital Access Only and more for Digital Access plus Sunday print edition, then I'd consider subscribing. The $7.58 is fair for the one service, but Digital only should be like $6 to reflect the lower cost of not hiring delivery drivers or not needing newsprint and ink. Then you have the matter of people who don't live in Colorado that might be interested in online access only, but obviously can't get Sunday delivery even if they wanted it - and you're going to screw those people over by making them pay more too? That's why they are all Journalism majors and not Business majors, and their paper is dying.

upload_2018-3-27_18-16-41.png

Their digital subscription pricing model is upside down. To get Unlimited Digital Access and Sunday-only home delivery of the print newspaper, it costs $7.58 per month. Okay, fair enough. But if you only want the Unlimited Digital access and NO printed newspaper at all (and all the associated inserts and junk that always clutters up the house), it costs $11.99 per month - which is nuts. It costs them money to pay a guy to pick up a load of papers and drive around at 4 AM on Sundays and toss the plastic bag onto your driveway - not to mention the cost of printing the thing in the first place. Yet you have to PAY THEM [$4.41 per month] to NOT have their delivery man drive up to your house and throw that thing on your driveway every Sunday. Even though I live within the delivery area, I DON'T want a physical paper. It makes a mess and then I have to dispose or recycle it to get rid of it. I just want the online access, but there's no way I'm going to pay a 60% fee to have them not come to my house. If they charged LESS for Digital Access Only and more for Digital Access plus Sunday print edition, then I'd consider subscribing. The $7.58 is fair for the one service, but Digital only should be like $6 to reflect the lower cost of not hiring delivery drivers or not needing newsprint and ink. Then you have the matter of people who don't live in Colorado that might be interested in online access only, but obviously can't get Sunday delivery even if they wanted it - and you're going to screw those people over by making them pay more too? That's why they are all Journalism majors and not Business majors, and their paper is dying.

View attachment 25272
When the Denver Post dies, at least all their business minds will be able to find employment at Pac-12 Networks.

When the Denver Post dies, at least all their business minds will be able to find employment at Pac-12 Networks.

Well hey, they just posted a new article about CU Football. Make sure to turn on Icognito mode in your browser to defeat the paywall!
Thornton woman boasts about selling cocaine, meth to students during CU football games in sting recordings targeting drug syndicate

Stings using confidential informants reveal drug trafficking network with ties to Mexico, Texas, Illinois, Indiana and West Virginia

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/27/heather-knoll-northern-colorado-drug-syndicate/

View attachment 25272
Hmm. They were charging me around $150 for the Sunday paper/Digital deal. Then it went to $180 and I canceled. So now it’s $90? That’s curious. I wonder if I misread and they were offering $180 for 2 years? Nope. I definitely paid $150 for 1 year. I’d actually consider 1 year for $90.

Last edited:

View attachment 25272
You're missing the advertising portion of their revenue. Their print advertisers pay them an additional $4.41 per month to deliver the print version to your door. On their end, the revenue from each subscription is equal.

I finally paid my $20 to Allbuffs just so I could ignore the politics forum. Maybe the Post could increase revenue by charging more to not get access to Kiszla columns.
I've been around here a while, never once visited politics and religion. I would have told you to avoid that for $5.

You're missing the advertising portion of their revenue. Their print advertisers pay them an additional $4.41 per month to deliver the print version to your door. On their end, the revenue from each subscription is equal.

I get that they make advertising revenue from the Cabela's and the Walgreens inserts and all the other junk in the Sunday paper, but it's still less cost to them to not deliver it to the house than it is to deliver it. And they could always have digital versions of all those inserts ready to click on, if the reader is interested, without having to kill any trees. Used to be when you call the subscriber line to hold your home delivery for a week while on vacation or whatever, they'd give you the option of extending your subscription or just donating your paper to a charity. If they allowed me to perpetually donate the Sunday paper to charity and pay the lower price, without having to call every week to do it, I might consider the subscription.

I get that they make advertising revenue from the Cabela's and the Walgreens inserts and all the other junk in the Sunday paper, but it's still less cost to them to not deliver it to the house than it is to deliver it. And they could always have digital versions of all those inserts ready to click on, if the reader is interested, without having to kill any trees. Used to be when you call the subscriber line to hold your home delivery for a week while on vacation or whatever, they'd give you the option of extending your subscription or just donating your paper to a charity. If they allowed me to perpetually donate the Sunday paper to charity and pay the lower price, without having to call every week to do it, I might consider the subscription.

Those advertisers aren't concerned with killing trees. They want a physical printed flyer in the home of the reader. They know that some people will look at them online but they can make the physical flier more appealing and likely to be read.

Yes it does cost money and resources to print and distribute it but they know the cost-benefit and are willing to pay.

If they didn't have a newspaper being distributed they would have to go direct mail to get the same result, and that is much more costly.

Well hey, they just posted a new article about CU Football. Make sure to turn on Icognito mode in your browser to defeat the paywall!
Thornton woman boasts about selling cocaine, meth to students during CU football games in sting recordings targeting drug syndicate

Stings using confidential informants reveal drug trafficking network with ties to Mexico, Texas, Illinois, Indiana and West Virginia

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/27/heather-knoll-northern-colorado-drug-syndicate/

Most eye popping line in the article...
"Martinez’s fleet of high-end vehicles includes two Mercedes SUVs, a GMC Denali pickup truck, a Saab and a Dodge Stratus." - Dubya Tee Eff Mate?

Those advertisers aren't concerned with killing trees. They want a physical printed flyer in the home of the reader. They know that some people will look at them online but they can make the physical flier more appealing and likely to be read.

Yes it does cost money and resources to print and distribute it but they know the cost-benefit and are willing to pay.

This. I knew more than a few that pour over the grocery ads before doing the weeks shopping.

This. I knew more than a few that pour over the grocery ads before doing the weeks shopping.
We get them in the mail. Nik Jr reads me whatever's interesting while I'm driving. Good way for him to learn about nutrition and finances while practicing his reading.

I no longer read the Denver Post because they are not worth any coin. I'm reading the Denver and Colorado Springs TV stations (Gazette is behind a paywall too) in its place.

Back