What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I really hate the Denver sports media

And the average listener assumes these media guys know what they are talking about. Might as well give them the correct information so they don’t make assumptions and misinform the public.
That's a big point. These media guys are put forward as experts and opinion leaders. That's the entire game of being in that job and the relation with the audience. When they talk about any topic, they are speaking from authority to their audience.

McChesney should know better. He canned his boy Warren McCarty for this exact type of bull**** (and because he was just a sketchy **** who duped a lot of kids into thinking they needed him), and if it's true that he's continuing to bad mouth CU, then he can **** off. I don't really care if it's "good business" to pump up the kids who pay him a lot of money, he can and should be more professional.

I'll assume that Dave's account is completely honest because I have no reason to question it.

If so, there was a complete miscommunication with something lost in translation because the way he described his comments was very specific to one single player he believes in. What got tweeted and set CU fans off was that this opinion was generalized to all of CU's in-state recruiting.
Dave is in CYA mode. I am sure a lot of what he says is genuine. I believe he cares about CU. I also think he wants to protect his name as a commercial asset. I don't blame him for that, btw, but I take it with a grain of salt. As I said above, I am more than willing to give him a pass.

Dave is in CYA mode. I am sure a lot of what he says is genuine. I believe he cares about CU. I also think he wants to protect his name as a commercial asset. I don't blame him for that, btw, but I take it with a grain of salt. As I said above, I am more than willing to give him a pass.
I don't believe Logan is in CYA mode. If he said more than what he's owning up to, it would make zero sense. He's been sending guys over to CU from Creek like they're our farm team (Sparaco, Van Diest, Dmitri Stanley). I think it's obvious he thinks this WR is a player. I'd also be very surprised if Chev and MM didn't agree with him. Logan knows the kid better than anyone. Logan also knows WRs pretty well. Logan likely has no idea who Chev is in on for 2019 at WR and what we are looking for.

Chev is too smart to ever say "I know better than anyone else", because this is not a perfect science. Chev's going with his judgement and sometimes that's a difficult corner to be in, when you can't take more than a few.

Logan should be pissed at the moron who was Tweeting his comments out of context. That DB was clearly trying to stir up things and nobody better to flame than CU.

I like McChesney, but you have to take EVERYTHING he says with a huge grain of salt. If you pay him the $500/month to workout at SixZero you're automatically one of the best in the state according to him. Warranted or not.
Thing with McChesney is he will trash kids who workout with their schools or go to other guys. Heard him trash a player because the kid didn’t want to drive an hour one way from to workout at his facility. McChesney is passionate and I give him a lot of credit for that, but if you’re not with him, you’re against him.

When he had his radio show a couple of years ago McChesney said there are 10 to 15 D1 guy’s in his gym alone. Also, I kind of wonder what went down between him and CU when they were discussing him joining the staff?

When he had his radio show a couple of years ago McChesney said there are 10 to 15 D1 guy’s in his gym alone. Also, I kind of wonder what went down between him and CU when they were discussing him joining the staff?
He is right about that. He said "D1" which includes UNC and he has at least 3 classes worth of Denver metro players working out with him. It's about the same as the talent he'd have if he was the Head Coach at a CA or TX program that was good enough to make the playoffs in the highest classifications.

He is right about that. He said "D1" which includes UNC and he has at least 3 classes worth of Denver metro players working out with him. It's about the same as the talent he'd have if he was the Head Coach at a CA or TX program that was good enough to make the playoffs in the highest classifications.
Yeah. I get the distinction and considered it when I posted. But it goes to his mindset that most of his guys should get D1 offers and several should be from CU. I don’t begrudge him that. That’s his job.

McChesney is going to pump his guys, it is what he does.

He does it because the more guys he can put into P5, then lower classifications the easier it is for him to sell the father who's signing the checks on sending his son to his gym.

He also does it because he is passionate and believes he can transform guys into top level players, and sometimes he does.

Logan is paid to give opinions. He spoke tonight about the situation with the tweet and with the receiver from Pomona. He is of the opinion that a guy who is good enough for a Washington State offer is good enough for a CU offer. It also sounded like it doesn't bother him that Chev doesn't agree at the moment.

In general Logan's opinion does carry more weight than most. Yes he is a HS coach, a very successful HS coach who also happened to be a multi-year starter at CU and a long term pro as a WR.

He sees a lot in terms of Colorado HS football and has an eye for details I would never image. What he doesn't see is the kids from Texas and California who are also in consideration for a limited number of scholarship slots. I believe him when he says a kid is good enough to play for CU, I believe Chev when he says the kid from out of state is better.

Overall nothing for us to get a bunch of panties in a wad over.

For McChesney I believe it is about more than a business model. I'm not discounting that because dude's got to put food on his table. But I sense a sincere belief and vision that there is a lot of talent in Colorado that hasn't had the right training, coaching and competition to get them where they are capable of going in football. He wants to change that. Frankly, it's something that needs changing. Many kids who are good enough athletes to play at CU (or any of the other scholarship programs locally) don't get one because they're not developed enough to play early and there's way too much risk/projection -- not just physically but because it's hard to judge their film with most of the guys they're playing against.

Further, when kids buy in he has their back. That's true to the personality he has demonstrated since he was a team leader as a CU player. I think when he goes over the top it's coming from a place of these being his kids and him seeing how hard they're working, not because he's seeing dollar signs.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBT
For McChesney I believe it is about more than a business model. I'm not discounting that because dude's got to put food on his table. But I sense a sincere belief and vision that there is a lot of talent in Colorado that hasn't had the right training, coaching and competition to get them where they are capable of going in football. He wants to change that. Frankly, it's something that needs changing. Many kids who are good enough athletes to play at CU (or any of the other scholarship programs locally) don't get one because they're not developed enough to play early and there's way too much risk/projection -- not just physically but because it's hard to judge their film with most of the guys they're playing against.

Further, when kids buy in he has their back. That's true to the personality he has demonstrated since he was a team leader as a CU player. I think when he goes over the top it's coming from a place of these being his kids and him seeing how hard they're working, not because he's seeing dollar signs.

I kind of alluded to this but didn't go into it like you did.

He was a guy who made a college and pro career for himself with intensity and hard work. He does sincerely believe that others can do that as well and he isn't wrong because we have a couple guys on the roster who without his gym likely wouldn't have been offered a P5 opportunity. Where he goes overboard is believing that more of his kids have earned that same shot. Unfortunately despite all the hard work some of these kids still aren't P5 level kids.

Others may be but don't match the needs of the Buffs at the time they are looking for offers.

I am sure part of McChesney pitch is that he will go to bat for every single kid and do what he can to get them a college opportunity. I have no problem with this approach and don't think he is negatively impacting CU. Quite the opposite from my observation.

He is very un-professional in his social media approach and other avenues, which I am sure that has come to bite him a few times. Ultimately, he is making Colorado in HS football stronger and has given kids an opportunity that they wouldn't have received without him.

Denver Post losing more people, but by choice this time. Nicki is a big loss, IMO. One of the only other true Bronco Insider outside of Klis.

Kosmider and Jhabvala are their only 2 writers for the only team that really moves the needle. I don't really see where they go from here to salvage this.

Post needs to be sold to an owner that will invest in it. No money from me until then

Denver Post losing more people, but by choice this time. Nicki is a big loss, IMO. One of the only other true Bronco Insider outside of Klis.

I am not sure by choice - it was announced 12 days ago the post was going to do a massive cut back and Nicki was one of the people to take a shot at the ownership of the Post. They have 90 people in their newsroom and are cutting back 30%...meaning there will probably be about 60 Journalist total. At one time the RMN and the Denver Post had over 700 journalist. This makes one wonder about how much depth journalism will have in the future - although depth has been declining for some time. It seems like we have more news then ever before and less quality news.

I am not sure by choice - it was announced 12 days ago the post was going to do a massive cut back and Nicki was one of the people to take a shot at the ownership of the Post. They have 90 people in their newsroom and are cutting back 30%...meaning there will probably be about 60 Journalist total. At one time the RMN and the Denver Post had over 700 journalist. This makes one wonder about how much depth journalism will have in the future - although depth has been declining for some time. It seems like we have more news then ever before and less quality news.

Every single Broncos writer the Post has had the last few years jumped themselves. The job on the Broncos beat has to be about the safest job on their sports desk and yet it's been a turnstile for about 5-6 years now as just about everyone has left.

Post needs to be sold to an owner that will invest in it. No money from me until then

Who invests in a dying industry? And I think that a city the size of Denver needs a local news source that isn't television, but it's difficult. Aren't they moving their offices outside of downtown also?

The DP is, and has been, a sinking ship. I don't know anybody that subscribes. The only reason we have it at the office is to give waiting room some look of professionalism. We could have Westword for free. I doubt the quality would be that much different.

Who invests in a dying industry? And I think that a city the size of Denver needs a local news source that isn't television, but it's difficult. Aren't they moving their offices outside of downtown also?
Westword had a long article about the Post and its ownership a couple years back. The Post is actually still profitable for the most part, ownership is gutting it to make as much cash as possible. It's still a viable product especially in a major city with no competitor.

If done right, you can make money at the business. See WaPo and the NYT over the last few years. But it took a revamping. Right now the DP's owner is using it as an ATM. But I think they are near the end of that road. DP will probably be sold off for the scrap it is in the next couple years. What happens then will be interesting. Will something replace the DP, or will the new buyer resuscitate it in some fashion?

Where is the future of written media going? Not just sports but news, politics, sports, travel, entertainment, etc. Are we seeing the end of having media from all of those areas aggregated under one provider like a standard newspaper, or could we see a tiered subscription service, ala AllBuffs, BuffStampede, etc? BSN used to all be free content and now they've gone to mostly subscription based. Is that where we see this industry going?

If you had money to invest, would you invest in the Denver Post?

Dead medium on its last legs. Investing in the Post would be like making dinner reservations on the Titanic for the night of the 16th of April, 1912.

If you had money to invest, would you invest in the Denver Post?

Dead medium on its last legs. Investing in the Post would be like making dinner reservations on the Titanic for the night of the 16th of April, 1912.
see above. Post is making money. It' sjust being drained of every cent it makes. I think you wouldn't get ridiculously rich owning the post, but you could make a decent return.

see above. Post is making money. It' sjust being drained of every cent it makes. I think you wouldn't get ridiculously rich owning the post, but you could make a decent return.
The risk/return is too high. I “can” make money investing in horse farms. That doesn’t make it a wise investment.

Where is the future of written media going? Not just sports but news, politics, sports, travel, entertainment, etc. Are we seeing the end of having media from all of those areas aggregated under one provider like a standard newspaper, or could we see a tiered subscription service, ala AllBuffs, BuffStampede, etc? BSN used to all be free content and now they've gone to mostly subscription based. Is that where we see this industry going?

In fairness - Buffstampede and BSN are actually giving you something for your money. Allbuffs just uses your money for cocaine.

Back