What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Investigation completed: Meyer suspended three games

To me it boils down to the relationship between Meyer and the University. If they want to make a change this gives them the vehicle for doing so. If they absolutely love the guy they’ll punish him, maybe fine him and make him take training, and keep him.

If the big media outlets start mentioning MM and CUs situation as precedent for Urban not getting fired, that’s when I’ll care about people comparing the two. Until then, the uneducated commoners can say what they want

That Eleven Warriors piece was written by some Buckeye honk who was trying his damnedest to come up with a scenario in his head that involves Urban continuing to coach. I don't think we should be that bothered by the comparisons to the Tumpkin situation-the only thing this has in common with what happened here is the domestic violence. Could CU have handled that better? Sure, and we've addressed that ad nauseum in the Tumpkin thread. This is FAR worse-In my opinion, Urban enabled Zach Smith to continue this behavior by not firing or suspending him three years ago (I don't believe the defense his supporters are putting out there, and most people who understand how he has run both OSU and Florida during his time in charge of both programs don't. He left Florida because of stress because he had to be so involved in all aspects of everything, there's the way he's talked about his wife, and there's also the texts between Courtney Smith and Lindsey Voltolini that McMurphy put out yesterday).

Oh, she will take the fall for this. You know she will. Save hubby and his much higher paying job.
Urban's wife taking the blame to save his job would probably create an even bigger **** storm in the media and among the masses than what we have already seen. As the Tweet I posted earlier in the thread mentioned, Urban's Wife knew, Urban's assistant coaches wives knew (almost guarantee his other asst coaches knew), and Urban's mentor knew. You're telling me he didn't know?

If Urban skates on this simply because there isn't evidence that proves he knew, without a doubt, it will officially be the biggest joke in the history of college football scandals.

1) Yes, the CU case is extremely different, but this is also the collateral damage that CU gets for mistakes that were made. Don't want to be dragged into **** like this? Then do better. How hard would it have been to place Tumpkin on administrative leave before the bowl game? Does it bother anyone that people in power were aware that he was a sick person, and still let him coach and mentor student athletes?

2) Which brings me to the bigger point - Does it bother anyone else that it seems like this is endemic to the sport? Nobody is shocked that these guys are beating the **** out of women. We just talk about how or if it was swept under the rug, and move on to the next incident. Our love of football seems to make us willing to accept that a certain amount of this sort of behavior is going to happen, and that the real issue is how it is dealt with to protect programs. When stuff like this happens, we talk about how surprised we are (or aren't) that OSU and Meyer played it so wrong. It all just starts to make me a little sick about having this sport be such a big part of my life every fall.

Not ready to give it up yet, but a lot closer than I ever thought I would be.

Should probably add “5A” under HCMM case....Tumpkin named as defensive play caller for Alamo Bowl.

That is the piece, IMO, that looks bad in the HCMM timeline. Doesn’t change the conclusion that these are not the same, but from a public perception perspective, 5A is important.
If you are going to add that, then also add 6. Victim did not live with the abuser and was safe in another state.

To me it boils down to the relationship between Meyer and the University. If they want to make a change this gives them the vehicle for doing so. If they absolutely love the guy they’ll punish him, maybe fine him and make him take training, and keep him.
Huh? Why would the University want to make a change? He's arguably the best coach in college football and one of the best of all time. If he's fired, it'll solely be due to Ohio State administration not wanting to deal with the PR nightmare or being forced to comply with Title IX.

Urban's wife taking the blame to save his job would probably create an even bigger **** storm in the media and among the masses than what we have already seen. As the Tweet I posted earlier in the thread mentioned, Urban's Wife knew, Urban's assistant coaches wives knew (almost guarantee his other asst coaches knew), and Urban's mentor knew. You're telling me he didn't know?

If Urban skates on this simply because there isn't evidence that proves he knew, without a doubt, it will officially be the biggest joke in the history of college football scandals.
Even if none of those people know, we all know the relationship between a high profile P5 HC and the local police in that university town. Do you believe that those police were out to this assistant's home 9 times and that no one ever mentioned it to Urban?

But as a CU fan that gets hammered for violations that the big boys don’t even get a slap on the wrist over, it certainly is what I think is a distinct possibility.

If you are going to add that, then also add 6. Victim did not live with the abuser and was safe in another state.
Probably the most important thing that I did not post.

Keeping Tumpkin busy and away from his girlfriend (who assured MacIntyre she was safe and would stay away) is one thing.

Allowing that home environment to continue for years as Meyer did is a whole other kettle of fish.

But as a CU fan that gets hammered for violations that the big boys don’t even get a slap on the wrist over, it certainly is what I think is a distinct possibility.
I think there is too much "beaten dog syndrome" around here. Outside of "the scandal" under Barnett, when was the last time CU got hammered for violations that the big boys didn't even get a slap on the wrist over? Remember that most of the scandal sanctions and training table punishments were self-imposed by the University. Ohio State is as blue blood as they come and they and Urban Meyer are getting absolutely hammered right now.

Huh? Why would the University want to make a change? He's arguably the best coach in college football and one of the best of all time. If he's fired, it'll solely be due to Ohio State administration not wanting to deal with the PR nightmare or being forced to comply with Title IX.
That’s my point. I don’t think they will fire him. He’ll get a slap on the wrist, undergo some training, and be back on the sidelines.

Bigger than Baylor? That was bad.

1) Yes, the CU case is extremely different, but this is also the collateral damage that CU gets for mistakes that were made. Don't want to be dragged into **** like this? Then do better. How hard would it have been to place Tumpkin on administrative leave before the bowl game? Does it bother anyone that people in power were aware that he was a sick person, and still let him coach and mentor student athletes?

2) Which brings me to the bigger point - Does it bother anyone else that it seems like this is endemic to the sport? Nobody is shocked that these guys are beating the **** out of women. We just talk about how or if it was swept under the rug, and move on to the next incident. Our love of football seems to make us willing to accept that a certain amount of this sort of behavior is going to happen, and that the real issue is how it is dealt with to protect programs. When stuff like this happens, we talk about how surprised we are (or aren't) that OSU and Meyer played it so wrong. It all just starts to make me a little sick about having this sport be such a big part of my life every fall.

Not ready to give it up yet, but a lot closer than I ever thought I would be.

1) CU is going to suffer damage from this because Dr. Phil failed, big surprise. MM and RG were timely in coming to him and his failure to go to the right places and take or require the appropriate action is why this thing became an issue. Nobody disputes that MM reported it rather than trying to hide it and that he functioned in accordance with the guidance given him. Had Dr. Phil been more decisive the delays in action would never have happened, these delays are the substance of the criticisms against the CU program.

2) Sadly it is not endemic to the sport, rather it is an ugly part of our society as a whole. More attention gets paid when the victim is the wife or GF of a coach or athlete but that is because more attention is paid to everything they do, they are public figures.

Talk to any LE officer who spends or has spent significant time on patrol. Most will tell you that no matter where they work DV calls are one of if not the most frequent serious call they get. It is an ugly part of our society and is part of every community, rich or poor, regardless or race, religion, and other demographic factors.

The LE officers I have known universally dislike DV calls because they are dangerous, unpredictable, and due to the amount of suffering they see in dealing with them.

Bringing attention to those public figures, including in sport, who are the abusers or who cover for the abusers is a positive though. Just like the #metoo movement brought sexual harassment and worse in the workplace to the forefront cases like the tOSU situation can help to shed light on the issue. If someone as prominent as Urban Meyer is brought down by it maybe others in positions of power but less visibility will begin to take it more seriously and homes will become a safer place.

I think there is too much "beaten dog syndrome" around here. Outside of "the scandal" under Barnett, when was the last time CU got hammered for violations that the big boys didn't even get a slap on the wrist over? Remember that most of the scandal sanctions and training table punishments were self-imposed by the University. Ohio State is as blue blood as they come and they and Urban Meyer are getting absolutely hammered right now.
That’s my point. I don’t think they will fire him. He’ll get a slap on the wrist, undergo some training, and be back on the sidelines.
I agree with the latter post (sadly). But the NCAA is weird - crushed USC, did nothing to Baylor, let off PSU kind of light (if you ask me), did nothing to FSU (Winston), and what the hell is going on with UNC?

That and people just throw out vague statements about what will actually happen and then magically get "proven right" no matter what actually ends up happening.

What does a "slap on the wrist" mean In the context of this Urban Meyer situation?

Even if none of those people know, we all know the relationship between a high profile P5 HC and the local police in that university town. Do you believe that those police were out to this assistant's home 9 times and that no one ever mentioned it to Urban?

tOSU football is huge in Ohio but Ohio isn't Nebraska or Waco. As big as the university is and the football program is there are those in the state who wouldn't mind knocking them down a couple notches for this thing, and since the university doesn't have the kind of grip on the media there that the other two place I mentioned do information can and will get out.

With those nine visits to the coaches home I as well find it impossible to believe that Urban wasn't informed.

All one of the critics has to do is find mention in one of the police reports that Urban was contacted, that Urban helped with bail or requested that the call not be publicized, or that charges be reduced or not filed and he is toast. Likewise get a statement from one of the many different officers involved that mentions Urban knowing and/or being involved and they won't be able to cap the situation.

People talk about the damage to the program that firing Urban would do but this isn't a place like Baylor. A scandal of this nature playing out over extended time could cost the university a lot of both money and political capital.

This is the same school that fired Woody Hayes, they have gone through other coaches through the years. They are one of the big name, big budget, programs in the nation. As good a coach as Urban is they know that they won't have a hard time finding a replacement. They have changed coaches in the past and still sell out the stadium, make millions of dollars, and win. This isn't like some other places where the coach is the program and the program is all they have.

If this thing looks like it is going to turn into a black eye for the school he is gone. They can replace him and move on.

His contract has a strict stipulation on reporting. Of course, it has to be determined what he knew and when. Then they will act.

I agree with the latter post (sadly). But the NCAA is weird - crushed USC, did nothing to Baylor, let off PSU kind of light (if you ask me), did nothing to FSU (Winston), and what the hell is going on with UNC?
The NCAA overstepped their purview on PSU. Had to walk it back. Learned their lesson. That was a criminal matter. Outside NCAA jurisdiction.

With respect, I see very little applicable parallels on these matters, nor should there be. I think each are different enough to merit their own unique assessment and actions.

The NCAA overstepped their purview on PSU. Had to walk it back. Learned their lesson. That was a criminal matter. Outside NCAA jurisdiction.

With respect, I see very little applicable parallels on these matters, nor should there be. I think each are different enough to merit their own unique assessment and actions.

That's also why they haven't gotten involved at Michigan State or with the basketball stuff as well-they literally can't until the authorities get done. This is a different deal.

Definitely not worse than Baylor, but Baylor did clean house with the staff and administration.

Dude. Baylor only fired one coach from their **** storm. They should not get anything positive said about them. IIRC, they only fired Starr after initially demoting him, but allowing him to keep teaching in the law school. I think they got crucified by the public for that which is the only reason they actually terminated him.

Points taken. All I am trying to imply is that the NCAA is all over the place, you never know what you’re going to get, especially if a university doesn’t hammer their own dicks.

Dude. Baylor only fired one coach from their **** storm. They should not get anything positive said about them. IIRC, they only fired Starr after initially demoting him, but allowing him to keep teaching in the law school. I think they got crucified by the public for that which is the only reason they actually terminated him.
I mean, there's an entirely new coaching staff at Baylor and I'm pretty sure multiple high level administrators resigned or were let go. I could be wrong, but I thought that's what happened. I'm not saying anything "nice" about the Baylor situation and obviously the institutional failure and overlooking of widespread rape that went on is one of the worst things imaginable.

Should probably add “5A” under HCMM case....Tumpkin named as defensive play caller for Alamo Bowl.

That is the piece, IMO, that looks bad in the HCMM timeline. Doesn’t change the conclusion that these are not the same, but from a public perception perspective, 5A is important.
Yes that was the part to me that was similar...Still on staff while they knew about situation.

I mean, there's an entirely new coaching staff at Baylor and I'm pretty sure multiple high level administrators resigned or were let go. I could be wrong, but I thought that's what happened. I'm not saying anything "nice" about the Baylor situation and obviously the institutional failure and overlooking of widespread rape that went on is one of the worst things imaginable.

No, it wasn't multiple. They got rid of Briles, Starr, and McCaw and threw their Title IX administrator under the bus. The board of regents, the majority of the upper administration, the university counsel all stayed the same.

Since then they have had some attrition but in numbers normal for this period of time at most schools.

This link is a couple years old but gives a good summary of what happened (and didn't happen.) https://www.dallasnews.com/news/bay...ndal-everything-need-know-understand-happened

And some good stuff here from people who are close to the school and not happy with the response.

https://bearsforleadershipreform.org/press/

Let the Piling on Begin. Not related to the Smith case but this article was just published about our buddy Urb. Every creature with a beef is going to air grievances. I was thinking Urb would survive this but now, not so much if it keeps going like this. :dead: Happy reading

URBAN COACHING ABUSE

Back