What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is the massive turnover we're seeing ok? Or why Reddit CFB fans are clueless

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member
I'm pulling this discussion out of the recruiting threads.

Currently the CU Buffs look to return 16 scholarship players from last seasons team.

This is an unheard amount of turnover, and it has garnered shock from from CU players who've been transferred out, from some in the media, and many opposing fans showing anger at what has transpired. Some predicting absolute implosion, some calling Deion Sanders an asshole, others lamenting that these are student athletes who've been betrayed by the school.

Whether this is successful or not remains to be seen.

But I am here to say that the sport has fundamentally changed, and those people criticizing Deion Sanders and CU have not grasped those changes yet. You can love it or hate it, but Prime did not bring these changes about, and is instead operating with full understanding of the new reality.

The players rightly and morally asked for the ability to earn money off their name and their contributions to the school. This has spawned sponsorships and NIL collectives and huge payouts for the most talented players. Players also asked for - again rightly and morally - the ability to control their futures by moving to the school that offers them the best situation without the penalty of sitting out for a year. These are good developments for the players.

When this first happened, it seemed to put all the pressure back on the schools. Budget strapped institutions had to figure out how to pay for all this and entice players to both come and stay. It seemed to carve out a special place for the already rich blue bloods in the sport.

What elite coaches are starting to realize is what College Basketball has known for a long time - these rules also allow them to restructure their roster on the fly. Deion Sanders has taken this to the extreme, but other coaches (most notably Lincoln Riley) did this last year and have been successful. Even coaches who like to subtweet Deion Sanders - such as Matt Rhule - have not been afraid to avail themselves of the transfer portal to provide an immediate injection of talent and to jettison players who didn't fit athletically or culturally.

Coach Prime is a lightning rod. The greatest DB to play the game, and winner of a championships in both the MLB and NFL, he has made a name for himself athletically and by building an effective media empire. This includes an incredible grasp of social media and traditional media. He has three YouTube channels that provide daily reach to hundreds of thousands of people. He has created unprecedented access into the program, which means that people actually get to see what happens in a P5 football program. He has close relationships with media personalities and sports personalities, and knows how to connect with traditional media like ESPN to bring eyeballs to his program.

Some folks argue that this is due to Prime's ego. Yes, Prime does have an ego - you won't find many people who are the best ever at something who don't ooze confidence at every turn. That can make people uncomfortable when there doesn't appear to be any humility. But what Deion Sanders gets is that everything is sales. Every single thing he is doing is to build his brand, build his players brands, build CU's brand and to recruit. Right now, all this aligns for CU, because if any brand has needed rebuilding in the CFB world, it is CU's. Maybe in a couple years Sanders leaves and there is a crater where he left - but in the meantime he is showing that Boulder is a great place. Great campus, great school, great town with great breakfast places with a great AD and great facilities and a fun program. He has wiped the slate clean and is putting on a masterclass in keeping CU in the headlines nearly every single day. Just read the posts on Reddit that garner so much hate, or the massively success that was CU's spring game on ESPN.

But Sanders understands what he is entrusted with. He has to take a 1-11 team that has been garbage for approaching 20 years (except sweet sweet 2016) and make them a contender. The last 5 coaches at CU have tried to do it the traditional way. Mostly because they had to do it that way, but also because they didn't have the pull for major changes. Each of those coaches have failed.

Meanwhile, the same media and CFB fans who are upset today are the ones that have been mocking CU for the past 20 years. They are the same ones who post in game recaps about how CU is outmatched, or the players don't appear to be P5 quality. Now they want to clutch pearls that those same players aren't being treated fairly.

Well, those people don't understand that CFB has changed. Anyone predicting that Sanders will fail based on past models of building programs is still stuck in the past. Those days are over. This is the future that the players asked for, and Sanders has been completely honest from Day 1 about what he was going to do, and what was required. People just have unprecedented access to see it happen, and the rules have changed to such a degree that it is a legitimate option for Sanders to flip 80% of a roster in a single offseason.

I don't blame players for being upset - no one wants to be told they aren't good enough. But Sanders is tasked with changing the direction of a program that has been mocked for 20 years. Sanders could have done all this with kid gloves, but CFB has never been closer to pro-sports, for better or worse, and Sanders thinks he is not doing any favors to these players by doing that.

No one can predict if this will be successful or not - but most CFB fans don't seem to understand that the world has changed, and they are the ones stuck in the past. I know I wouldn't bet against Deion Sanders.

The purge needed to happen. This is crazy to watch and hard to not "worry", we have never seen anything like this ever. I still have Buff anxiety for being bitten so many times in the past.

This is the system the players and many others wanted. I don’t like it but, hell yes it’s fair. Unless or until the rules are changed or tightened, we live in the Wild, Wild West and if you want to survive you have to be the most ruthless son of a bitch in town.

Doesn't this get pulled back a bit soon?
Thought I heard that there will be reduced limits.

Doesn't this get pulled back a bit soon?
Thought I heard that there will be reduced limits.
At some point the “powers that be” will all agree that this system is unsustainable and will implement rules. But until then…..

Its fine. I do feel a little sorry for any of the players who were recruited by KD, gave effort and had to leave because they just couldn’t cut it at this level, but that’s about it.

Either it will work or it won’t.

We can’t be any worse than last year.

Jennifer Lawrence Interview GIF

At some point the “powers that be” will all agree that this system is unsustainable and will implement rules. But until then…..
I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Prime has accelerated these thoughtsand when they are implemented. No one cared until now.

Reactions: DBT
It's easy to feed into the narrative and feel bad for these players not getting to realize their dreams. However, once you realize the reason they're upset is that they won't be able to play P5 football anywhere else, you understand why the staff did what they did, and how fortunate these kids are to have the opportunity to get a full ride at CU even after they were cut. If they want to continue playing, they can go G5 or D2, where they would have been anyway. The choice is theirs, which is more than most of us can say.

It's the perfect storm for Coach Prime to be able to flip the roster in one offseason.

One factor not often discussed is that the Covid year has dramatically changed the number of CFB players with eligibility.

Usually, we have about 5 years of recruiting classes on each CFB roster (accounting for the redshirt year built into the eligibility clock). Since 2020 didn't count toward that clock, there are currently about 6 years of recruiting classes on each CFB roster. Programs don't have room for all these guys on an 85-man roster. So that extra 20% is in the portal on top of whatever the normal portal activity would be.

So, new rules everyone's adjusting to, together with this special exemption from the pandemic, all come together to make this window of opportunity a unique time where a HC with juice like Coach Prime can do something that wasn't possible before and may not be repeatable.

Is it necessary? Oh, Hell yeah it’s necessary. Any 1-11 team needs a good shake up. Is it unfortunate? Also yes. It’s unfortunate that many of these players were given a scholarship here in the first place. In their defense, they only came here because A) they had very few other options and B) the staff that recruited them wasn’t able to recruit better players.
The one potential downside I see to this is that we won’t be taking guys like Phil Lindsay and David Bahktiari in the future. Those guys wouldn’t hit Prime’s radar and they are great Buffs. I worry that a lot of the glue guys will be passed over for more flash. Make no mistake, a talent upgrade is absolutely necessary, but I fear it will come at the cost of having some special guys here.

I wish the covid year only applied to guys who had 2 years of eligibility or less till remaining. Perhaps 3

There was no reason to give kids an extra year who were redshirting as true frosh (for example). It didn't really need to be that way, and hurts kids as Nik pointed out.

edit: The other point is that there are far more guys who have degrees with 1 year left due to the Covid year than we would normally see. Most guys are graduating with 1-2 years left of eligibility..

Last edited:
This is the NFL with no contracts, :LOL:
Much much worse.
No salary cap and no draft.
Georgia has unlimited $$NIL$$ to poach away a couple key players they need each year to supplement their already high level of recruiting. That's a very insurmountable moat. It completely takes away any hope of competitive balance.

CU was the big loser here and would have forever sucked had it not been for the Great Disrupter, Coach Prime.
He's turned the whole system upside down. For other programs wanting to follow that blueprint, there's a ton of coaches who might help them do that, but I see nobody out there with the charisma to do that anywhere close to the scale of the Great Disrupter.

And to your other point. There are rules. Short of rescinding the right to transfer once and again as a graduate, I see no rules that will tone it down much. They can regulate NIL, but the floodgates of transferring are forever open IMO.

From a sheer numbers perspective, it is shocking. From an outside perspective I could see it seeming ruthless and cruel.
But then you look at the names of the guys who have been cut. Maybe 5 dudes in there who would be of some help to a power 5 team. The rest should never have been offered at this level and I have no problem with moving on from them. I want CU football to win. We seen 10 different appoaches to losing over the last 20 years, lets try this new approach and see how it goes.
CU was the big loser here and would have forever sucked had it not been for the Great Disrupter, Coach Prime.
He's turned the whole system upside down. For other programs wanting to follow that blueprint, there's a ton of coaches who might help them do that, but I see nobody out there with the charisma to do that anywhere close to the scale of the Great Disrupter.
Agreed 100%. Coach Prime is changing the game, but I just don't know of a lot of coahces with the charisma and gravitas to do it the way he is doing it. There are few, but they are already well established and out of the reach of a team like CU. We really hit on a 1 in a million. It may not work out, but the last few months have already been more exciting for the CU football fan then most of the last 20 years put together.

The 2022 team was dominated by Air Force and lost almost all of their games by like 30 points.

It wasn’t a P5 caliber roster, so if you wanted a competitive team this year the majority of them had to go and be replaced by better players. They’re gone and now we’ll see about the replacements.

And no one was feeling sorry for CU when it lost its best players to the transfer portal (including a cornerback that could go in the top 10 of the draft tomorrow), so anyone crying about seeing the other side of the coin can go to hell.

Biggest concern I'd have off the field is locker room dynamics. That's a whole bunch of kids who don't know each other with no previous connection and no structure in place.
This is one place where cutting the entire team may actually help the locker room dynamics. There will be no separate camp of prior guys who are sulking because things are different, they don't feel that they're getting a fair shake, or are getting passed over by the new staff's guys.

We wanted things blown up and now that wish has been granted.

For a change we are being proactive instead of reactive which we have been for a long time.

Things were just so bad last season that I was already out the exit door with no plans on returning.

As for the players that have left, they need to realize that we are fans of the team first and always will be like that. Those whining about losing that CU scholarship are the ones who weren't putting in the work to be successful. If you are not good enough despite hard work, there are other options in life.

Biggest concern I'd have off the field is locker room dynamics. That's a whole bunch of kids who don't know each other with no previous connection and no structure in place.
Got to hope the locker room structure from JSU happens in some fashion. With QB1 being from there, it's not outlandish. On defense. Umm, yea, who knows.

I know Dorrell was an incompetent coach, but if he manages to keep guys like Gonzales and Blackmon, does he get another year? Does he squeak out 5-6 wins? Probably not, but the thought has occurred to me that sometimes you have to go through Hell to get to the promised land.

Is it necessary? Oh, Hell yeah it’s necessary. Any 1-11 team needs a good shake up. Is it unfortunate? Also yes. It’s unfortunate that many of these players were given a scholarship here in the first place. In their defense, they only came here because A) they had very few other options and B) the staff that recruited them wasn’t able to recruit better players.
The one potential downside I see to this is that we won’t be taking guys like Phil Lindsay and David Bahktiari in the future. Those guys wouldn’t hit Prime’s radar and they are great Buffs. I worry that a lot of the glue guys will be passed over for more flash. Make no mistake, a talent upgrade is absolutely necessary, but I fear it will come at the cost of having some special guys here.
You used words like "worry" and "fear"... Take a Xanex and enjoy the ride. You won't have those concerns once you see the talent brought on board.

The 2022 team was dominated by Air Force and lost almost all of their games by like 30 points.

It wasn’t a P5 caliber roster, so if you wanted a competitive team this year the majority of them had to go and be replaced by better players. They’re gone and now we’ll see about the replacements.

And no one was feeling sorry for CU when it lost its best players to the transfer portal (including a cornerback that could go in the top 10 of the draft tomorrow), so anyone crying about seeing the other side of the coin can go to hell.
Exactly.

The whole nation was laughing at CU for being overmatched against even good G5 teams.

The whole nation was laughing at CU for the legit players we had leaving for other programs.

Now the whole nation is saying that CU is the evil empire and everything that's wrong with college football for purging the roster and reloading it with recruits and transfers our peers wanted? Fvck em. Bring the hate. Inject it into my veins.

Back