What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is the massive turnover we're seeing ok? Or why Reddit CFB fans are clueless

I didn't take time to look at the remaining 14, but I wonder what the split is between MT signings ('19 & '20 classes) vs KD signings ('21 & '22 classes). At first blush, it looked like a lot of juniors and sophomores.
Breakdown:

McIntyre:

Gustav 2018
Wiley 2019 (committed to McIntyre, stayed with Tucker's first class)

Tucker:

Bethel Jr. 2019
Ham 2019
Christian-Lichtenhan 2020
Fauria 2020
Passarello 2020

Dorrell:

Olsen 2021
Woods 2021
Edwards 2022
Hankerson 2022
Hurtado 2022
Kerry 2022
Wells 2022

So half Dorrell recruits and half Tucker/McIntyre

The comments and gnashing of teeth on ******max and lambnation regarding Prime's housecleaning are hilarious. Even as ***braska also has to reduce to get to scholarship limits - somehow it's different for them. First it was "everybody is bolting to get away from that clown show", then it was "Prime is so cruel and doesn't want to develop players" and more. The hate proves we are starting to intimidate.

They hate us because they anus

Its amazing to me that people don’t get that Alabama and Georgia are coaching up their 5 star guys too.
Same folks who think you're going to be able to steal wins against good college programs through schemes and adjustments to make up for your talent disparity.

People don't realize the size of the gap. My "go to" example is that even Chris Petersen with the resources, staff, recruiters and him being a witch of an offensive mind... could not get Washington into the playoffs.

Same folks who think you're going to be able to steal wins against good college programs through schemes and adjustments to make up for your talent disparity.

People don't realize the size of the gap. My "go to" example is that even Chris Petersen with the resources, staff, recruiters and him being a witch of an offensive mind... could not get Washington into the playoffs.
He actually did, the year he beat us in the conf championship. But they had an awful lot of talent on that team!

I'm pulling this discussion out of the recruiting threads.

Currently the CU Buffs look to return 16 scholarship players from last seasons team.

This is an unheard amount of turnover, and it has garnered shock from from CU players who've been transferred out, from some in the media, and many opposing fans showing anger at what has transpired. Some predicting absolute implosion, some calling Deion Sanders an asshole, others lamenting that these are student athletes who've been betrayed by the school.

Whether this is successful or not remains to be seen.

But I am here to say that the sport has fundamentally changed, and those people criticizing Deion Sanders and CU have not grasped those changes yet. You can love it or hate it, but Prime did not bring these changes about, and is instead operating with full understanding of the new reality.

The players rightly and morally asked for the ability to earn money off their name and their contributions to the school. This has spawned sponsorships and NIL collectives and huge payouts for the most talented players. Players also asked for - again rightly and morally - the ability to control their futures by moving to the school that offers them the best situation without the penalty of sitting out for a year. These are good developments for the players.

When this first happened, it seemed to put all the pressure back on the schools. Budget strapped institutions had to figure out how to pay for all this and entice players to both come and stay. It seemed to carve out a special place for the already rich blue bloods in the sport.

What elite coaches are starting to realize is what College Basketball has known for a long time - these rules also allow them to restructure their roster on the fly. Deion Sanders has taken this to the extreme, but other coaches (most notably Lincoln Riley) did this last year and have been successful. Even coaches who like to subtweet Deion Sanders - such as Matt Rhule - have not been afraid to avail themselves of the transfer portal to provide an immediate injection of talent and to jettison players who didn't fit athletically or culturally.

Coach Prime is a lightning rod. The greatest DB to play the game, and winner of a championships in both the MLB and NFL, he has made a name for himself athletically and by building an effective media empire. This includes an incredible grasp of social media and traditional media. He has three YouTube channels that provide daily reach to hundreds of thousands of people. He has created unprecedented access into the program, which means that people actually get to see what happens in a P5 football program. He has close relationships with media personalities and sports personalities, and knows how to connect with traditional media like ESPN to bring eyeballs to his program.

Some folks argue that this is due to Prime's ego. Yes, Prime does have an ego - you won't find many people who are the best ever at something who don't ooze confidence at every turn. That can make people uncomfortable when there doesn't appear to be any humility. But what Deion Sanders gets is that everything is sales. Every single thing he is doing is to build his brand, build his players brands, build CU's brand and to recruit. Right now, all this aligns for CU, because if any brand has needed rebuilding in the CFB world, it is CU's. Maybe in a couple years Sanders leaves and there is a crater where he left - but in the meantime he is showing that Boulder is a great place. Great campus, great school, great town with great breakfast places with a great AD and great facilities and a fun program. He has wiped the slate clean and is putting on a masterclass in keeping CU in the headlines nearly every single day. Just read the posts on Reddit that garner so much hate, or the massively success that was CU's spring game on ESPN.

But Sanders understands what he is entrusted with. He has to take a 1-11 team that has been garbage for approaching 20 years (except sweet sweet 2016) and make them a contender. The last 5 coaches at CU have tried to do it the traditional way. Mostly because they had to do it that way, but also because they didn't have the pull for major changes. Each of those coaches have failed.

Meanwhile, the same media and CFB fans who are upset today are the ones that have been mocking CU for the past 20 years. They are the same ones who post in game recaps about how CU is outmatched, or the players don't appear to be P5 quality. Now they want to clutch pearls that those same players aren't being treated fairly.

Well, those people don't understand that CFB has changed. Anyone predicting that Sanders will fail based on past models of building programs is still stuck in the past. Those days are over. This is the future that the players asked for, and Sanders has been completely honest from Day 1 about what he was going to do, and what was required. People just have unprecedented access to see it happen, and the rules have changed to such a degree that it is a legitimate option for Sanders to flip 80% of a roster in a single offseason.

I don't blame players for being upset - no one wants to be told they aren't good enough. But Sanders is tasked with changing the direction of a program that has been mocked for 20 years. Sanders could have done all this with kid gloves, but CFB has never been closer to pro-sports, for better or worse, and Sanders thinks he is not doing any favors to these players by doing that.

No one can predict if this will be successful or not - but most CFB fans don't seem to understand that the world has changed, and they are the ones stuck in the past. I know I wouldn't bet against Deion Sanders.

Kids, we have no loyalty to you. Life is hard. Be a man. Suck it up buttercup.

However, if you are no loyal to us the **** YOU AND **** THE ****ING **** **********

Aint college football great? Carry on.

Kids, we have no loyalty to you. Life is hard. Be a man. Suck it up buttercup.

However, if you are no loyal to us the **** YOU AND **** THE ****ING **** **********

Aint college football great? Carry on.
I will agree that insane rants come from fans on both sides of the debate

This whole discussion is complete and utter bull****. CU was on the verge of having the AD go under or be demoted to a BS league (remember the comment about us not even having the $$ to pay CP the salary we promised), and we have been the laughingstock of P5 football for the better part of 20 years. All thanks primarily to the under performance of the football team, of which these kids were all too proud to be a member of a year ago.

In response, we swing for the fences, and hire Coach Prime, who promptly comes in and tells the world exactly what he's going to do with the roster. People didn't like such honesty coming from a "flashy, no substance and selfish" coach (I read as strong and black). They have railed against him for recording everything, probably because it hurts their ability to try and skew the narrative. And now they are making us out to be a) the bad guy or b) completely broken.

Be prepared for them to throw a whole new conniption fit and try to claim tampering when we sign 30 new ballers. We will be purely transactional and a reflection of everything that is wrong with college football.

They were making fun of us for 20 years for sucking
They were making fun of us for making a bold hire that had "no substance"
They are blasting our coach for doing exactly what he said he would do
They will be super pissed when we start lining up players that can beat them.
They are/will start slinging unfounded accusations because we are a direct threat that they see as an easy target.
They will continue to be frustrated and sling accusations in an effort to keep us dow.
Good thing that CP has learned through his life that he should expect to be targeted, and has all the receipts.

They can take all of those oversized pearls they're clutching, and shove them up their ass. We should NEVER apologize for doing what is best for CU, especially when the people that are 'hurt' by this roster turnover, are still being offered a full ride here...they just aren't good enough to play FB here

This whole discussion is complete and utter bull****. CU was on the verge of having the AD go under or be demoted to a BS league (remember the comment about us not even having the $$ to pay CP the salary we promised), and we have been the laughingstock of P5 football for the better part of 20 years. All thanks primarily to the under performance of the football team, of which these kids were all too proud to be a member of a year ago.

In response, we swing for the fences, and hire Coach Prime, who promptly comes in and tells the world exactly what he's going to do with the roster. People didn't like such honesty coming from a "flashy, no substance and selfish" coach (I read as strong and black). They have railed against him for recording everything, probably because it hurts their ability to try and skew the narrative. And now they are making us out to be a) the bad guy or b) completely broken.

Be prepared for them to throw a whole new conniption fit and try to claim tampering when we sign 30 new ballers. We will be purely transactional and a reflection of everything that is wrong with college football.

They are/will start slinging unfounded accusations because we are a direct threat that they see as an easy target.
They will continue to be frustrated and sling accusations in an effort to keep us dow.
Good thing that CP has learned through his life that he should expect to be targeted, and has all the receipts.

They can take all of those oversized pearls they're clutching, and shove them up their ass. We should NEVER apologize for doing what is best for CU, especially when the people that are 'hurt' by this roster turnover, are still being offered a full ride here...they just aren't good enough to play FB here
Preach!

I'm looking forward to the future hot takes of how Prime isn't really a good coach because anyone could win with CU's talent.

rep for oversize pearls and shoving them up their ass comment. Don't hide gold like that so far down a post.

With this massive turnover becoming the new normal in college football, will HC have to produce wins faster? It was pretty common to say "Give the couch until year 3" I'm not sure whether that will work now.
Days Couch GIF

With this massive turnover becoming the new normal in college football, will HC have to produce wins faster? It was pretty common to say "Give the couch until year 3" I'm not sure whether that will work now.
The number of good players available because of C19 extensions is going away soon. So will the ability to make the associated roster moves.

Players understand that it really doesn't matter how great the character, training, playcalling and technical soundness of your marginal athlete CB if he's being asked to cover T Owens.

Players also understand that you can coach up a T Owens more easily than a marginal guy because that T Owens level guy has much bigger goals for his athletic career than getting college paid for.
I'm not an expert and you never know what the actual play call and responsibility is but I tend to watch OL play more than some fans do.

Our OL coaching has been bad and we have a lot of missed assignments but I have also seen over recent years plays when a CU lineman has put himself in the right position to make a block, looks to be using quality technique, and ends up getting run over by a defender who is simply a bigger, stronger, quicker athlete.

You can do all the development you want to do and a guy can have a great attitude and great effort but none of that makes up your opponent simply being superior to you.

And then when those guys who are more talented than you are also work hard and have great attitudes you are in real trouble.

I think we can’t judge anything until he has his own guys in there

Absolutely.

Where do I find said pearls?

I think Charlie Offerdahl is an interesting name to bring up here. I didn't know who he was until Adam mentioned him in one of those postgame analysis videos after last year.....Minnesota? Prime has talked about him a few times-he's going to have a number, etc.

This isn't just talent. This is cultural too.

This purge could not happen fast enough. Full stop!
What I'm blown away by is seeing CU fans upset or critical.

"I dealt with the scandal and all the years with Phil as Chancellor. I weathered Hawkins, Embree, MacIntyre, Tucker and Dorrell. I found a way to stay strong through what was possibly the worst season a P5 program has ever had. But when Sanders purged the roster, that triggered me."

What I'm blown away by is seeing CU fans upset or critical.

"I dealt with the scandal and all the years with Phil as Chancellor. I weathered Hawkins, Embree, MacIntyre, Tucker and Dorrell. I found a way to stay strong through what was possibly the worst season a P5 program has ever had. But when Sanders purged the roster, that triggered me."

Nik, we gotta win the right way.

The comments and gnashing of teeth on ******max and lambnation regarding Prime's housecleaning are hilarious. Even as ***braska also has to reduce to get to scholarship limits - somehow it's different for them. First it was "everybody is bolting to get away from that clown show", then it was "Prime is so cruel and doesn't want to develop players" and more. The hate proves we are starting to intimidate.

They hate us because they anus
They've jumped on this transfer stuff faster than they jumped on Matt Rhule's fupa.

I think Charlie Offerdahl is an interesting name to bring up here. I didn't know who he was until Adam mentioned him in one of those postgame analysis videos after last year.....Minnesota? Prime has talked about him a few times-he's going to have a number, etc.

This isn't just talent. This is cultural too.
This checks out. I know a coach from DRHS in Littleton and he said that Offerdahl was the hardest working and most humble kid he ever coached. Mentioned he would love to have a team full of Charlie’s and that he came from a really good family.

Back