What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim Mora, Jr - ESPN Analyst

In retrospect, I'm surprised this wasn't the hire made after Sark turned us down.
Out of curiosity, why are you surprised? In retrospect, he should have been the hire after Sark turned us down, but was there any indication that there was any kind of mutual interest?

Out of curiosity, why are you surprised? In retrospect, he should have been the hire after Sark turned us down, but was there any indication that there was any kind of mutual interest?
I won't speak for Nik, but just trying to think along the same lines, he checked a few boxes and was probably one of the top names on the second or third tier depending how far they got down the list.

I won't speak for Nik, but just trying to think along the same lines, he checked a few boxes and was probably one of the top names on the second or third tier depending how far they got down the list.
It would seem they got to the end of their list and then started knocking on doors asking if anyone had previously been affiliated with CU and had prior coaching experience.

It would seem they got to the end of their list and then started knocking on doors asking if anyone had previously been affiliated with CU and had prior coaching experience.
They must have started on Spring Creek Drive in Lafayette.

Now you are shuffling around the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.
Eh. I think everyone here would have taken a more experienced in an HC role, more proven coach in Mora than the random nearly unknown Karl Dorrell. I wouldn't have loved the hire but I would have been more optimistic with Mora than what we got. I have hated this hire from the start.

Eh. I think everyone here would have taken a more experienced in an HC role, more proven coach in Mora than the random nearly unknown Karl Dorrell. I wouldn't have loved the hire but I would have been more optimistic with Mora than what we got. I have hated this hire from the start.
I still hope HCKD can pull out of the nosedive, even though there is little evidence from his body of work to suggest that is likely. If the current trajectory continues, lackluster recruiting, ineffective schemes, embarrassing losses, HCKD will go, and it is simply a question of when.

If and when that happens, my vote is that RG and LC go with him.

Never would have been the first choice but he was a hell of a lot higher on the list than a guy who got hired who was not on any list. We would not be in this mess if he was the coach. Not winning championships but not swirling the drain either

Never would have been the first choice but he was a hell of a lot higher on the list than a guy who got hired who was not on any list. We would not be in this mess if he was the coach. Not winning championships but not swirling the drain either
Exactly

Give me a ****ty coach who recruits over a mediocre coach who doesn’t any day - at least when they get fired there is something for the next guy to work with. I would have gone for someone like Tosh a thousand times before KD.

That is exactly why KD was doomed from the start in the eyes of the fans. That doesn’t make Mora a better hire. I’m not on a soapbox for KD in this discussion, just getting a post on the record that Mora would have been a bad hire.

The dude has been out of coaching for four years, lobbies for a lot of jobs and can’t get an interview. What does that tell you about how AD’s around the country feel about him?

That is exactly why KD was doomed from the start in the eyes of the fans. That doesn’t make Mora a better hire. I’m not on a soapbox for KD in this discussion, just getting a post on the record that Mora would have been a bad hire.

The dude has been out of coaching for four years, lobbies for a lot of jobs and can’t get an interview. What does that tell you about how AD’s around the country feel about him?
I am not sure we would ever know whether Mora would have been better. I would suggest it is hard to imagine he would be worse.

In the end HCKD will be the coach his record says he is.

I am not sure we would ever know whether Mora would have been better. I would suggest it is hard to imagine he would be worse.

In the end HCKD will be the coach his record says he is.
This.

At best, Mora would have been a C hire.

But a C- or D+ is better better than an F.

In retrospect, I sometimes wonder if we should’ve just given one of the coaches the interim tag and done a full search at year end. If covid had come on three weeks earlier, I’m certain that’s what we would’ve done.

In retrospect, I sometimes wonder if we should’ve just given one of the coaches the interim tag and done a full search at year end. If covid had come on three weeks earlier, I’m certain that’s what we would’ve done.
There were guys available, though.

Look at Kansas. I don't know if it will turn out to be a good hire & it's hard to judge quickly because it is the dumpster fire of dumpster fires.

But they were hiring in friggin' May and were able to bring in Lance Leipold & half his staff from Buffalo. That's a dude who won 6 D3 national championships in 8 years as a HC and then got the Buffalo job and built them into one of the better G5 teams within a few years with bowl appearances the last 3 seasons and a #25 rank in 2020.

Guys like that were absolutely available for CU.

Look at Kansas. I don't know if it will turn out to be a good hire & it's hard to judge quickly because it is the dumpster fire of dumpster fires.

But they were hiring in friggin' May and were able to bring in Lance Leipold & half his staff from Buffalo. That's a dude who won 6 D3 national championships in 8 years as a HC and then got the Buffalo job and built them into one of the better G5 teams within a few years with bowl appearances the last 3 seasons and a #25 rank in 2020.

Never coached in Boulder though - would he even know the unique challenges of coaching at CU???

KD needs some really good assistants, that’s for sure. Mike Mac got Leavitt and it was a massive boost.
An experienced OC with chops and conviction about his approach would do wonders right now.
No, changing assistants isn't going to change the trajectory.

KD is not a recruiter, recruiting is not a priority for KD. All the coaching in the world can't make up for a lack of talent and as long as KD is in charge the needed talent isn't coming here.

KD had years between getting fired at UCLA and getting hired here to figure out that recruiting is why he failed with the Bruins. He didn't figure it out and he won't now.

Mora was and is a bad coach but at least he tried to recruit. As mentioned above at least he would have left us with some talent.

You make a good point. After 20 years, the school just can’t stop itself from self inflicted wounds.

Back