What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim Mora, Jr - ESPN Analyst

My biggest issue I think with Mora is that his coaching career peaked in year 1 with the Falcons. Ever since then he has been getting fired and just getting worse. UCLA started off good, but then.. downhill.

He hits a lot of my bad checkboxes too:

-retread
-meh upside
-NFL guy

I also don't like that since getting fired at UCLA he has just been chillin with an analyst job. That tells me the dude doesn't want to grind and go get a lesser job. That's kind of why I'm willing to overlook the retread thing with Sarkisian, he's out there grinding back via Saban's Coach Center: For broken coaches that don't coach good no more and want to learn to do other things good too

I guess the separation from his wife happened around the time things went bad at UCLA. Not sure how much of an excuse that is, but it was part of that story.

Also on that personal level, he's a really strong guy on community stuff and most people like him.

None of this is why you'd hire a coach or not, but it gives a little flavor. Heck, people who worked at CU and those who dealt with him in the community loved Rick Neuheisel.

I'm not advocating for Mora. I also haven't hated the idea as much as I thought I would. I guess where I land is that I think he'd be a pretty strong Plan B if the guys at the top of the list didn't happen.

Like all the candidates, Mora comes with question marks. I think it would be reasonable to give him an interview, but I’d need him to address the concerns about poor discipline and losing the locker room. Basically, what did he learn from his past failures. If he has a good answer to those questions, we could certainly do worse.

I'm warming up to this idea.

He has been an incredible recruiter with recruiting classes consistently in the top 20 nationally and one as high as 7 in the nation, deep Boulder roots and and has an overall winning record as a head coach.

Dude went 46-30 as HC at FuCLA, took his team to a bowl game almost every year. Right now as a CU fan I'd take that run of success. If he's learned anything from his stint in LA then it's possible he could do even better in Boulder. The guy is only 2 seasons removed from coaching, so his recruiting contacts are likely still active.

Most importantly I think he really wants the job. If he came in, kept DC and they combined forces in recruiting we could start seeing the types of classes that will get us to the top of the PAC12 South.

I might be optimistic, but I think that the current roster (especially if Alfano gets eligibility and Clayton is as good as I suspect) should go bowling. That would be great momentum for a proven recruiter in the PAC12 footprint to build off of.

Mora is the floor.

I’m not an advocate of CU hiring Jim Mora as the next HC of the football team. With that said, I view him as the floor of acceptable coaches RG and LC can hire and that is a very good thing. I do not expect Jim Mora to be the next HC, I expect someone better. This is new territory for CU football in this century.

Recruiting UCLA has built-in advantages. He'd be a plus recruiter but not at the same levels he hit there.

True, Chip Kelly has been killing it on the recruiting trail just as much as Mora was.
That's nowhere close to true. But it was also kind of expected since Kelly also didn't recruit great on paper at Oregon. He's got a system and goes off standard script to get his kind of guys. Kelly has enough juice to pull in a top 20 class every year if he emphasized that.

Historically, UCLA is the most similar to CU in the PAC 12 as it relates to support of the football program by the School....except they’re in LA. Mora couldn’t sustain success at UCLA, and I think at CU he’d be even worse due to us not being in a recruiting hot bed.

I texted a donor I know to see what (if anything) he knew on this chatter and he wrote me back a little while ago. Here's what I learned-He thinks doesn't seem to be that much different than 14 months ago. He said he's hearing RG's open to talking to him this time, but he and LC have names they're more excited about.

I think a lot of CU fans are trying to talk themselves into liking Mora because he is one of the few names brought up this far by certain outlets.

That's quite possible.

I feel like I'd be "ok" with the hire, but not really excited...

Counterpoint: I was excited by the Melvin Ftucker hire and look what happened there.

I actually think he'd be an upgrade to Mel Tucker and I liked what Mel was doing here. Mora emphasizes the same things with more cache inside the footprint and better game management.

Seems to be an unpopular candidate... But aside from Sark this sounds like our best bet to me. Definitely take him over Fritz, Sparkles, Calhoun, Hill, BB, or Holtz that is for damn sure.

Holy **** give me Mora over anyone that has newly been mentioned the last 5 hours other than Grinch
Mora over Calhoun, Bielema, some guy from Weber St. (where is Weber St. anyway?) or any G5 candidate not named Blake Anderson (who apparently is not in the mix anyway).

Again, at this point, bring me Sark or don't come back.

Back