What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jimmy Lake - DC Washington

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member
Lake_Jimmy_2017.jpg

Organization: University of Washington

Current Position: Defensive Coordinator / Defensive Back Coach

Former Positions:
1999​
Eastern Washington (GA)
2000–2003​
Eastern Washington (DB)
2004​
Washington (DB)
2005​
Montana State (DB)
2006–2007​
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Asst DB)
2008​
Detroit Lions (DB)
2010–2011​
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (DB)
2012–2013​
Boise State (DB/PGC)
2014–2015​
Washington (DB)
2016–2017​
Washington (Co-DC/DB)
2018–present​
Washington (DC)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Record and Awards:

Notable Recruits:
Budda Baker - ATH (4*)
Julius Irvin - S (4*)
Kyler Gordon - CB (4*)
Elijah Molden - CB (4*)
Austin Joyner - CB (4*)
Isaiah Gilcrest - CB (4*)
Keith Taylor - CB (4*)
Brandon McKinney - S (4*)
Kamren Fabiculanan - CB (4*)
Naijel Hale - CB (4*)

Coaching Notes:

Last edited by a moderator:
He knows what he'd be working with:
"Laviska Shenault is a talented football player. You heard about it leading up to it but you weren't really because we were getting ready for other opponents. But then you put on the tape, he's got to be the best athlete in the Pac-12 and probably the whole west coast. At 6-2, 220, he has a lot of wiggle, he makes guys miss, he's hard to bring down, and soon as he gets in the secondary there's not a lot of DB's that are his size. He's fast like a receiver, he's strong like a running back, he's agile. I'd be doing the same thing they're doing: get the ball in his hands as much as possible, and that's what they're doing. We will definitely know where he is at at all times because he's a difference-maker for sure."

I will put some stuff into the coaching notes later, but Washington is DBU of the conference. He has been very successful at every stop and his defense is why Washington still has a shot at the Pac-12 title this season.

Dynamic recruiter, knows the conference footprint well, and is a rising star nationally (several teams try to hire him away last offseason).

If we want a HC with a defensive background then this is it.
My question is do we want that or should CU look for an offensive minded HC?

Why not have both (offense and defensive minded)?

Smart leaders (head coaches) hire the best people for the job and let them do their thing. I see no reason why we couldn't hire a defensive-minded HC as well as a highly-innovative OC to light up the field.

The main reason why teams win IMO is recruiting. If you have kick ass recruiters, everything else can fall into place. Whoever RG hires, he MUST be a kick ass recruiter.

I'd put this guy at the top of the list. Heard a lot of great things about him. Didn't realize he had that kind of resume, h/t @ dio.

Didn't know much about him to be honest but the more I read the more I like. Its also interesting that Peterson has been quite loyal to this guy and continuously elevated him over the past several years. Coach Peterson, like HCMM, has always seemed to me as a coach who does things the right way and is just really good at his craft. The difference, of course, is Peterson wins. I am not sure there is a better coach for our future HC to learn under than Peterson considering the need to be PC at Boulder and if RG is serious about his goals, to win too.

I am liking this guy more than LM. More risk but more upside.

The risk is that he's only Run a D for a year and may not be a HC type. Always a risk for a coordinator bit more so given the small experience.

I'd be ok taking this risk if his interview showed that he seemed ready.

Impressed with everything laid out in this thread. My question, that maybe someone here can lend some insight, how much of UW's defensive success is due to Lake and how much to Pete Kwiatkowski? Not to throw water on the Lake hype here but I saw a couple of those "Coordinators On The Rise" type articles from before the season that mentioned Kwiatkowski as a name to watch and one headline from last year said he was the "evil genius" behind UW's D.

Impressed with everything laid out in this thread. My question, that maybe someone here can lend some insight, how much of UW's defensive success is due to Lake and how much to Pete Kwiatkowski? Not to throw water on the Lake hype here but I saw a couple of those "Coordinators On The Rise" type articles from before the season that mentioned Kwiatkowski as a name to watch and one headline from last year said he was the "evil genius" behind UW's D.

1. JL is their best recruiter and gets tons of big time players — most of whom are their star defenders. As we know, getting the PT players is a top priority.

2. JL was given a sweetheart deal to keep him aboard. If Pete didn’t think he was a big factor, I don’t think he would’ve convinced udub to step up.

Lake is my #1. Washington’s defense has been ****ing nightmarish lately and their DBs have been on par if not better than the money gang (in 2016).

Pair him with a solid OC and we’ve got the makings of a great staff

Jimmy Lake, Washington DC

This is one of the most logically linear hires out there. The Buffs are in the Pac-12, so they should hire the architect and coordinator of the best defense in the Pac-12. Simple. Lake is relatively young at 41 and is considered one of the best recruiters on the West Coast. His background in dynamite CBs would also keep CU’s #MoneyGang tradition alive. Lake would immediately vault CU into the top half of the Pac-12 in talent and would likely field a defensively nasty team. Please keep ShaDon Brown if this happens.

https://www.ralphiereport.com/color...288/who-is-colorado-footballs-next-head-coach

Jimmy Lake, Washington DC

This is one of the most logically linear hires out there. The Buffs are in the Pac-12, so they should hire the architect and coordinator of the best defense in the Pac-12. Simple. Lake is relatively young at 41 and is considered one of the best recruiters on the West Coast. His background in dynamite CBs would also keep CU’s #MoneyGang tradition alive. Lake would immediately vault CU into the top half of the Pac-12 in talent and would likely field a defensively nasty team. Please keep ShaDon Brown if this happens.

https://www.ralphiereport.com/color...288/who-is-colorado-footballs-next-head-coach

Are you affiliated with Ralphie Report?

Back