What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jimmy Lake - DC Washington

Then he's not being consulted properly. Lakes resume and most importantly recruiting is what CU needs.

I think it's almost impossible that any OC or DC of the top 3-4 teams in the conference is off of any conference AD's radar.

If Lake isn't on RG's radar, he needs a new radar.

I only say this because of the “established head coach” stuff that seems to be coming out as a criterion for the next coach. Lake is my #1 guy. I just don’t know if he ticks the boxes that RG has set forth.

Petersen did give him playcalling responsibilities, though. So more than a ceremonial promotion to get him a title & coin in order to keep him.

Yeah it'd be one thing if he was just given a co-DC title with no playcalling, but Petersen and even Kwiatkowski felt like they were a better team with Lake calling plays than Kwiatkowski, who is hardly a bad DC himself.

no rebuilds. reloads.

lake is a bad ass. but, it will, imho, require the right staff around him. if (and i am not presuming that there are) there are any gaps in his hc readiness, then let's get a support system around him. he's potentially a great hire.

I only say this because of the “established head coach” stuff that seems to be coming out as a criterion for the next coach. Lake is my #1 guy. I just don’t know if he ticks the boxes that RG has set forth.
Rick's presser did not put those limitations on the hire. It put no limitations on the hire. Anything we have heard or anyone has reported on that has not come from Rick directly.

Curious, where are you getting "established head coach?"

Because I haven't seen anyone associated with the school say that, and the only people on this message board saying that are generally idot blow hards.

I mean we're all idot blow hards, but ones demanding that as a criteria are a bit further down that scale than others.

Curious, where are you getting "established head coach?"

Because I haven't seen anyone associated with the school say that, and the only people on this message board saying that are generally idot blow hards.

I mean we're all idot blow hards, but some are a bit further down that scale than others.

In reading the articles about the pulse of the AD, that’s where I got that notion from. I would be glad to be wrong here.

In reading the articles about the pulse of the AD, that’s where I got that notion from. I would be glad to be wrong here.
I think a lot of those authors are cribbing their notes from the last HC search, and, umm.. things are a little different now.

Edit: I'm going to expand this thought a little bit. There aren't very many reporters who are really dialed into the current CU AD and football program. We all know the 2-3 who are. If someone else is writing something, they almost assuredly don't have "inside information."

A random national writer will look at CU's past 4 hiring decisions: established head coach, NFL assistant, established head coach, established head coach. "hmm, it looks like CU likes to hire established head coaches, and they got bit in the ass when they deviated from that, so I'll bet they're going to be looking to go back to that well."

Last edited:
UW fan here. First let me say he is a lights out recruiter in regards to DB''s and has constantly beat USC and Notre Dame for DB'S but he doesn't recruit any other position besides DB'S. He is also a great developer of DB'S as he put 3 DB's in the league back in 2016 (all second round picks), put one this past year (underrated free agent that made the roster) and has anthor 4 projected to be drafted in this this upcoming draft. As far as play calling goes, he was given play calling duties this year by Pete Kwiatkowsk who went to Peterson and told him him to give play calling duties to Lake because he will leave to Alabama if we don't. As far as the results, the play calling this year has shown a noticeable dip compared to past years when Kwiatkowsk was calling plays but that;s expected for a first time play caller. Also even though Lake calls the plays, Kwiatkowsk is still heavily involved in the play calls. As far as if he would take the Colorado job if offered, I don't know. He just bought a house in Seattle this past summer with his wive and kids, loves working for Peterson (who doesn't) and has told people around the program he will only leave for a head coaching position if it's the perfect opportunity. He is not going to jump on the first offer, and he will wait for the right job. I think he would leave for USC but I don't think Colorado would be the Job he wants to wait for. . Most close to the program believe he won't leave after this year and I would have to agree. Just my 2 cents.

Appreciate the insight. Good on him if he’s betting on himself and holding out for a USC-type gig right out the chute. Prevailing sentiment is he probably needs to prove himself elsewhere before landing that kind of interest, but that’s obviously something for him, his family and his agent to work through.

All right gents, I like the cut of your jib. Now, how do we get this to actually happen?
I actually never tend to jump on board of a candidate this early, but, Coach Lake seems to be quite a great catch and I hope RG is giving him some serious consideration.

His coaching tape bothers me greatly. On the clip posted the first play with the safety, the safety is torched due to bad footwork on the break. Thanks to better athleticism and a throw back to the middle of the field the safety knocks the ball away. Now I understand why, with all the talent he can recruit, his defenses still haven't been insanely good.
What does a certain CU LB think??

His coaching tape bothers me greatly. On the clip posted the first play with the safety, the safety is torched due to bad footwork on the break. Thanks to better athleticism and a throw back to the middle of the field the safety knocks the ball away. Now I understand why, with all the talent he can recruit, his defenses still haven't been insanely good.
You don’t like him because a safety got beat in one clip and recovered to make the play?

This post seems highly ignorant. All the talent he can recruit? He's developed secondary talent better than anyone, these aren't 4 and 5 stars he's always working with. That 2016 secondary that embarrassed us included Kevin King, Taylor Rapp, and Sidney Jones, who were all three stars, and Rapp should make it all 3 drafted in the first couple rounds soon. Myles Bryant dominated us this season, he was a walk-on who we passed on and despite his size should go high in the NFL draft. If you want to use the fact guys like Budda Baker reached their 4-star potential and were drafted highly under him, feel free, I guess? And I don't know how anyone can say his secondaries haven't been extremely good, I don't buy that there's been a secondary consistently stronger and better developed than his.

Last edited:

What qualifies as "insanely good" in your eyes when it comes to defense? Just need to know the standard here.

Color me skeptical that Lake wouldn't leave for a good Pac -12 job for millions. He would have to be am idiot. And in that case we dont want him

Then he's not being consulted properly. Lakes resume and most importantly recruiting is what CU needs.
^ This

IMO, getting a stud recruiting HC should be priority #1. We HAVE to start getting stronger talent here and MM just didn't cut it. [CHECK]

After that, we need a strong X's and O's guy, someone who can teach the staff and the players. [CHECK]

Third, he needs to be a charismatic leader who can motivate the troops. [CHECK]

And finally, he MUST have a quality football name or the first three don't matter. [CHECK] :whistle:

I just have a gut feeling that if we don't take this guy we're going to be sorry. I know it's a crap shoot with pretty much anybody but this guy checks all the boxes. Sure, he could move on in a few years but if RG plays the cards well enough, we'll be able to pay and keep him. I just keep coming back to this guy, I think we're going to be sorry if we don't snag him.

Feldman

The fourth coordinator to watch is Washington’s Jimmy Lake, the play caller of a defense that leads the Pac-12 in points allowed. An excellent teacher and recruiter, Lake
is another Chris Petersen protégé who will end up as a head coach sooner rather than later. Sources tell me Lake will be choosy and isn’t just going to take any FBS head coaching job, but I suspect this one would be too good to pass up.

I have come 110% to the Lake camp! He will not likely get the USC Job even if her really wanted it. USC will fire Helton to get Babers or Holgerson or Campbell.
We are his best home if he wants to go to the PAC12 because there will not be any other PAC12 jobs open in the next 2-3 years likely. I think he will fall in love with Boulder, he will be right in the middle of the entire recruiting footprint, with easy access from the best airport up to his homeland Washington, out to Cali, and down to Texas, where this guy if he hires a great Texas recruiter will do well. I was not in for a guy that had not been a coach, but since I am not enamored with the actual coaches that are or would possibly be available, this man does check off all the boxes. Let's hope that WSU wins the Apple Cup, and RG can talk to Lake on Sunday and get something done with this guy.

Also, not that impressed with Les Miles presser, I have mud all over my face being all in on him. He will get the national attention, but not sure he is really that sharp anymore as an energetic coach.

I have come 110% to the Lake camp! He will not likely get the USC Job even if her really wanted it. USC will fire Helton to get Babers or Holgerson or Campbell.
We are his best home if he wants to go to the PAC12 because there will not be any other PAC12 jobs open in the next 2-3 years likely. I think he will fall in love with Boulder, he will be right in the middle of the entire recruiting footprint, with easy access from the best airport up to his homeland Washington, out to Cali, and down to Texas, where this guy if he hires a great Texas recruiter will do well. I was not in for a guy that had not been a coach, but since I am not enamored with the actual coaches that are or would possibly be available, this man does check off all the boxes. Let's hope that WSU wins the Apple Cup, and RG can talk to Lake on Sunday and get something done with this guy.

Also, not that impressed with Les Miles presser, I have mud all over my face being all in on him. He will get the national attention, but not sure he is really that sharp anymore as an energetic coach.

That game's on Friday IIRC. WSU beats UW and we could get Lake done Sunday if we wanted to go that way. He's gotta come in with a damn good OC name-and I'd wonder who that would be.

Last edited:
This post seems highly ignorant. All the talent he can recruit? He's developed secondary talent better than anyone, these aren't 4 and 5 stars he's always working with. That 2016 secondary that embarrassed us included Kevin King, Taylor Rapp, and Sidney Jones, who were all three stars, and Rapp should make it all 3 drafted in the first couple rounds soon. Myles Bryant dominated us this season, he was a walk-on who we passed on and despite his size should go high in the NFL draft. If you want to use the fact guys like Budda Baker reached their 4-star potential and were drafted highly under him, feel free, I guess? And I don't know how anyone can say his secondaries haven't been extremely good, I don't buy that there's been a secondary consistently stronger and better developed than his.
Yeah, but one of his Safeties got beat because of bad footwork and had to rely on his uncoachable athleticism to recover and still make the play. Take Lake off the list!

Seriously. What. The. ****. Citizen??

Put me down as a yes, but he would have to bring an experienced, quality OC along to guide him. I am a little nervous about a DC or OC with no HC experience at all. Other than that, yes.

Back