What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jimmy Lake - DC Washington

Honestly
You guys have swung me to this guy!
The players would love him
He would elevate recruiting
It would hurt Washington and we would have inside knowledge
I approve of this guy!

Babers #2, but he does not have as many pluses in conference as Lake. I would bet this guy has some seriously good staff options up his sleeve.

Honestly
You guys have swung me to this guy!
The players would love him
He would elevate recruiting
It would hurt Washington and we would have inside knowledge
I approve of this guy!

Babers #2, but he does not have as many pluses in conference as Lake. I would bet this guy has some seriously good staff options up his sleeve.
Yeah, I keep going back to him too. After seeing his training video and reading about how good a recruiter he is, I'm not sure we want to pass on this guy, someone's gonna grab him soon. It's still a gamble but anyone RG picks is going to be a gamble. He seems like a real smart guy and he's charismatic. I think he might be worth the gamble.

Hmm. Some serious intrigue here for sure. Is he ready to be a full time head coach though.

Last edited:
Hmm. Some serious intrigue here for sure. Is he ready to be a full time coach though.

Assume you mean full time head coach--he's obviously a full time assistant already. He seems to embody a lot of the traits that you'd be looking for in a head coach. Technical acumen, reputation as a tremendous teacher, great recruiter, has been mentored under a great head coach (Petersen) for several years now, personable in a way that would seemingly play well with donors/boosters. Just checks a lot of the boxes.

Assume you mean full time head coach--he's obviously a full time assistant already. He seems to embody a lot of the traits that you'd be looking for in a head coach. Technical acumen, reputation as a tremendous teacher, great recruiter, has been mentored under a great head coach (Petersen) for several years now, personable in a way that would seemingly play well with donors/boosters. Just checks a lot of the boxes.

Yes, edited for clarity. Interesting insight, thanks! Starting to get a little sold here with his background and familiarity with the PAC-12 as well.

He checks off the two biggest wants for me:

1) Great recruiting
2) Teaching X's and O's

Odds are it will be someone else but man, this guy could be great. We'll see.

He checks off the two biggest wants for me:

1) Great recruiting
2) Teaching X's and O's

Odds are it will be someone else but man, this guy could be great. We'll see.
Plus very few people run a college football team better than Petersen. Washington's been the best in the Pac-12. Taking a page out of the recent playbooks in the SEC by hiring the best coach working for the top dog program isn't a bad strategy.

And you’re basing this off of? Just curious.

Re-read this thread.

1. He recruits the team’s best players.
2. He’s learned from one of the nation’s best coaches.
3. He’s received promotions and top end treatment at one of the best programs in our conference.
4. He’s in the right age bracket for a successful coach.
5. He’s demonstrated his acumen against our team and many others in this conference.

There’s more. Looking at a lot of the top guys, a good % of them were #1 assistants at P5 schools under high level coaches. Lake is worth the risk.

I have also been convinced. Lake #1 and Babers #2. Babers also has some Pac-12 recruiting experience, but not as recent.

He's been a co-DC for one year. Kwiatkowski (who is still there) built that defense (verbatim from Kwiatkowski's UW bio).

It does say something that Lake was promoted to co-DC last year as Petersen clearly has been trying to keep him happy. I am intrigued by him as I think being the guy who built a defense isn't a prerequisite for being a HC. I'd just be cautious (after all, Nik was calling Adams a superstar not long ago). Lake's the type of potential superstar hire that would put him at or near the top of my list to do a deep dive on.

Re-read this thread.

1. He recruits the team’s best players.
2. He’s learned from one of the nation’s best coaches.
3. He’s received promotions and top end treatment at one of the best programs in our conference.
4. He’s in the right age bracket for a successful coach.
5. He’s demonstrated his acumen against our team and many others in this conference.

There’s more. Looking at a lot of the top guys, a good % of them were #1 assistants at P5 schools under high level coaches. Lake is worth the risk.

I’m not saying he is not. I just asked for your opinion, I don’t have one. His background is intriguing and he seems to be successful at the things we need most. We’ll see what RG thinks.

I’m not saying he is not. I just asked for your opinion, I don’t have one. His background is intriguing and he seems to be successful at the things we need most. We’ll see what RG thinks.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Lake will be on RG’s radar.

He's been a co-DC for one year. Kwiatkowski (who is still there) built that defense (verbatim from Kwiatkowski's UW bio).

It does say something that Lake was promoted to co-DC last year as Petersen clearly has been trying to keep him happy. I am intrigued by him as I think being the guy who built a defense isn't a prerequisite for being a HC. I'd just be cautious (after all, Nik was calling Adams a superstar not long ago). Lake's the type of potential superstar hire that would put him at or near the top of my list to do a deep dive on.
To be fair, Nik says a lot of stuff.

I do. Sometimes spitballing, sometimes generating conversation by intentionally going over the top, sometimes being overly emotional and reacting.

But with Adams, @buffaholic is absolutely correct with me. I was totally on team Adams when he landed 4* Bisharat, then switched to our OL Coach and we had our 2016 season, then signed that 2017 class of OLs... while also hearing from multiple people that he is one of the best guys you'd ever meet and is someone that other programs were trying to poach. I'm still kind of in shock that it went so sideways so fast.

the one year is definitely the biggest negative on Lake. and if we're nitpicking it'd be nice if he had spent some time at another top program rather than the NFL for a few years.

We just can't wait for him to season more, someone is going to give him a HC job and we need a HC now.

Nik wasn't the only one, and I was just poking fun. Most of us, me included, thought Adams was going to fix our OL. We thought Chev was the golden goose as well.

After Hawkins, I look at any hire questioningly, rather than getting all fired up.

Lake's one "unknown" is that he was elevated to co-DC with the guy who was the DC who built a great D.

Is Lake a great mind? A great leader? Or is he just a great DB coach and recruiter, so great, that Petersen wanted to pay him more and give him that co-DC title to keep him recruiting?

If Lake was just a great recruiter, I'd be wary. But he seems to have built his DB system, managed it, coached it, under a guy who demands perfection. So I'm pretty sure he can scale that skillset up to a full roster. If he checks out, I'd think he's worth that small risk.

Nik wasn't the only one, and I was just poking fun. Most of us, me included, thought Adams was going to fix our OL. We thought Chev was the golden goose as well.

After Hawkins, I look at any hire questioningly, rather than getting all fired up.

Lake's one "unknown" is that he was elevated to co-DC with the guy who was the DC who built a great D.

Is Lake a great mind? A great leader? Or is he just a great DB coach and recruiter, so great, that Petersen wanted to pay him more and give him that co-DC title to keep him recruiting?

If Lake was just a great recruiter, I'd be wary. But he seems to have built his DB system, managed it, coached it, under a guy who demands perfection. So I'm pretty sure he can scale that skillset up to a full roster. If he checks out, I'd think he's worth that small risk.
Petersen did give him playcalling responsibilities, though. So more than a ceremonial promotion to get him a title & coin in order to keep him.

I suppose we’ve gotta accept there’s gonna be risk no matter who ya hire. And we may have 2-3 rough “building” seasons ahead of us.

Back