What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

LaViska Declares for NFL Draft.

Yes. How many wins could LaViska have carried his teammates to? His shoulders are broad. When Mac was riding him to a contract extension, everyone in the stadium knew where the ball was going with him in the wildcat. And he still had the power to get the yards. He is a freakin stud who was benched as a freshman. Hindsight is twenty twenty and I don’t think anyone can claim He didn’t belong In the game over several players on the field the day he signed with CU.
To be fair, MM got his extension before Viska was on the team

Viska and JMac played entirely different positions. If you want to make the argument that Nixon should have been playing over JMac, then okay, but saying Mac took playing time away from Viska is like saying Colby Purcell took playing time away from Frank Fillip last year.

stop, Stop, STOP. You just argued that MacIntyre was a better slot option than Shenault, better enough to keep Shenault on the bench. Stop. You are now going down the path of insanity.

Here is a player profile on Shenault for the draft:

Versatility: Outside of offensive line, there wasn’t a position that he didn’t play within the Colorado offense. Treated as if he was an H-Back, he also played out-wide, on the hip of the offensive tackle, running back and even experienced carries as a Wildcat quarterback.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/laviska-shenault-jr/NLQE1jFVo5

Here is link to a highlight video of Shenault. It took all of 1:05 minutes into the video to see Shenault lined up in the slot. Ask CSU coaches and fans if Shenault can play slot or not. It was the simplest of routes that any true freshman could have run, but MacIntyre does not score on that play.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/laviska-shenault/

In 2017, JMac was the team’s number one “Y” receiver to start the season. Viska was third on the depth charge as an “X” receiver. Without knowing all of the reasons why Viska wasn’t given the chance to play in the “Y” position as a freshman, it’s tough to say that JMac favoritism caused Viska to sit.

Here’s what I do know: regardless of where he lined up, when Viska played even as a true freshman, he was generally quite productive. That he was not on the field as a freshman was a real mistake and contributed to the team missing a back to back bowl appearance. It would’ve been the team’s first in a long while. The momentum the team could’ve gotten from the extra practices and publicity with recruits was sorely missed in future seasons.

To be fair, MM got his extension before Viska was on the team
Jay earned his scholarship. He never should have been on the team. It is unprofessional and led to cancer amongst team members. It creates doubt at every level of a program on ever decision that is made concerning him.

I hope LaViska keeps healthy and has an impact in the league like Slash. He is that kind of special.

Jay earned his scholarship. He never should have been on the team. It is unprofessional and led to cancer amongst team members. It creates doubt at every level of a program on ever decision that is made concerning him.

I hope keeps healthy and impact in the league like Slash. He is that kind of special.

Ask any kid who played Little League baseball for a coach that played his own son at shortstop.

stop, Stop, STOP. You just argued that MacIntyre was a better slot option than Shenault, better enough to keep Shenault on the bench. Stop. You are now going down the path of insanity.

Here is a player profile on Shenault for the draft:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/laviska-shenault-jr/NLQE1jFVo5

Here is link to a highlight video of Shenault. It took all of 1:05 minutes into the video to see Shenault lined up in the slot. Ask CSU coaches and fans if Shenault can play slot or not. It was the simplest of routes that any true freshman could have run, but MacIntyre does not score on that play.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/laviska-shenault/
Thanks, Jim! Appreciate the education on Shenault. The fact of the matter is they played different positions in 2017. Was Viska a better player? Of course, but he was learning and playing certain WR positions that didn't overlap with the WR position JMac played. Right or wrong, that's what happened. Maybe your continued bitching and blaming should be directed toward one, Darrin Chiaverini for making that the case.

Thanks, Jim! Appreciate the education on Shenault. The fact of the matter is they played different positions in 2017. Was Viska a better player? Of course, but he was learning and playing certain WR positions that didn't overlap with the WR position JMac played. Right or wrong, that's what happened. Maybe your continued bitching and blaming should be directed toward one, Darrin Chiaverini for making that the case.

Chiaverini is a mediocre WR coach. Great recruiter, but his WR's generally don't show continuous improvement. On top of that, position coaches have to make their bosses happy. Go along to get along happens across the workforce all over the place.

And yes, Nixon should have been playing before the coaches son too.

MacIntyre had one G5 football offer, Wyoming. His next best offer was from Liberty to play basketball. Daddy MacIntyre hotboxed the ST coach, a coach that owed him big time for giving him a P5 job that he was never qualified to receive, into giving saying his kid was worth a scholarship. MacIntyre NEVER should have been offered a scholarship out of high school, he should have been a walk-on. As a walk-on he should have been given the opportunity to earn a scholarship but there is NO argument that supports him getting a scholarship straight out of high school.
I'm unfamiliar with this use of the term "hotbox." Unless, of course you mean MacIntyre got the dude high.

I'm unfamiliar with this use of the term "hotbox." Unless, of course you mean MacIntyre got the dude high.
giphy.gif

In 2017, JMac was the team’s number one “Y” receiver to start the season. Viska was third on the depth charge as an “X” receiver. Without knowing all of the reasons why Viska wasn’t given the chance to play in the “Y” position as a freshman, it’s tough to say that JMac favoritism caused Viska to sit.

Here’s what I do know: regardless of where he lined up, when Viska played even as a true freshman, he was generally quite productive. That he was not on the field as a freshman was a real mistake and contributed to the team missing a back to back bowl appearance. It would’ve been the team’s first in a long while. The momentum the team could’ve gotten from the extra practices and publicity with recruits was sorely missed in future seasons.
I agree with this, and have never argued anything differently. I think it's weird that this became a debate in Big Jim's head about Viska vs JMac. Receiver positions are not just interchangeable, especially for a true freshman. Chev never let Viska have an opportunity at the "Y" receiver position, for whatever reason. Had he put him there, of course Viska would have been better.

I hope LaViska keeps healthy and has an impact in the league like Slash. He is that kind of special.
Jay had the same number of P5 offers as the vast majority of the class... ONE.... From CU. It was the 77th ranked class in the country. Jay was the same caliber recruit as just about everyone else in that class.

Chiaverini is a mediocre WR coach. Great recruiter, but his WR's generally don't show continuous improvement. On top of that, position coaches have to make their bosses happy. Go along to get along happens across the workforce all over the place.

And yes, Nixon should have been playing before the coaches son too.
I mean he might be a mediocre receivers coach but there have definitely been receivers to show improvement over their time here. Stanley and Brown showed consistent improvement over the last two seasons. Bobo developed into an impact guy too. Fields had a rough senior season and Ross had the dropsies his senior year but how much of that is on the coach?

Nixon has developed quite nicely and Viska was a freak since the day he stepped on campus. Winfree had some injuries that kept him from taking that next step but is there really any debate that he had a pretty good close to his senior year?

I agree with this, and have never argued anything differently. I think it's weird that this became a debate in Big Jim's head about Viska vs JMac. Receiver positions are not just interchangeable, especially for a true freshman. Chev never let Viska have an opportunity at the "Y" receiver position, for whatever reason. Had he put him there, of course Viska would have been better.

Jay had the same number of P5 offers as the vast majority of the class... ONE.... From CU. It was the 77th ranked class in the country. Jay was the same caliber recruit as just about everyone else in that class.
I was actually agreeing with both you and Jim with my post. They weren’t designated for the same positions.

However, I also don’t think anyone on this board would seriously argue that freshman Viska should’ve been on the bench that season even at the expense of the HC’s son. IMO, jaymac is an easy target because he was the HC’s son and a meh talent. While jaymac had some big moments for CU, Viska produced the vast majority of CU’s biggest wow moments on offense for the last two years.

There’s natural frustration here because we had mild PTSD from the Cody Hawkins ruining Tyler Hansen’s career situation.

I mean he might be a mediocre receivers coach but there have definitely been receivers to show improvement over their time here. Stanley and Brown showed consistent improvement over the last two seasons. Bobo developed into an impact guy too. Fields had a rough senior season and Ross had the dropsies his senior year but how much of that is on the coach?

Nixon has developed quite nicely and Viska was a freak since the day he stepped on campus. Winfree had some injuries that kept him from taking that next step but is there really any debate that he had a pretty good close to his senior year?

You make some good points, especially Brown. I didn't see Bobo having a good SR either, all three of those guys regressed from their JR year. I think Nixon hasn't developed much, still takes the sideline instead of the hit and the extra yards every time.

BTW, apparently Viska was a freak but not good enough to supplant the coaches son.

You make some good points, especially Brown. I didn't see Bobo having a good SR either, all three of those guys regressed from their JR year. I think Nixon hasn't developed much, still takes the sideline instead of the hit and the extra yards every time.

BTW, apparently Viska was a freak but not good enough to supplant the coaches son.
Bobo had the best senior year out of the three of them He went from 41 catches and about 500 yards and 2 TDs to 62 catches for about 700 yards and 5 touchdowns. He was not really the issue with the receivers group. Shay got fat during the spring and though he was going to the league and Ross dropped too many catches but Bobo had a pretty good season.

Agree to disagree on Nixon, he is a good receiver for us and we had a deeper receivers group last year and despite his overall yards going down he was able to increase his yards per catch by a whole yard so he was still effective.

Your argument about Shenault is lazy and you bring it up atleast once every couple months. JMac was a solid option as a slot receiver despite his QB leaving him out to dry over and over again. Shenault should have played more but JMac isn't the only receiver he was better than on that team.

I was actually agreeing with both you and Jim with my post. They weren’t designated for the same positions.

However, I also don’t think anyone on this board would seriously argue that freshman Viska should’ve been on the bench that season even at the expense of the HC’s son. IMO, jaymac is an easy target because he was the HC’s son and a meh talent. While jaymac had some big moments for CU, Viska produced the vast majority of CU’s biggest wow moments on offense for the last two years.

There’s natural frustration here because we had mild PTSD from the Cody Hawkins ruining Tyler Hansen’s career situation.
I agree, I just don't really know how this got turned into a Viska vs JMac debate. Big Jim is the only one debating that I think. Of course Viska is the better player and he always has been. He would have been a better player in the slot as a True Freshman than what we had in JMac. That doesn't have anything to do with the assertion that Jay was some outlier of a recruit for that class who never should have been taken or given a scholarship out of high school. BJ wants to talk about his lack of P5 options, but doesn't care to look at the rest of that awful recruiting class that had a combined like 8 non CU P5 offers. Again, Jay MacIntyre was the same caliber of player as the rest of the 2014 class, aside from Shay Fields, and he PROVED that he was actually better than everyone.

Fun Fact: Akhello Witherspoon was the worst rated recruit in the class at .70 grade and had zero, I repeat zero P5 offers outside of CU (yes I know he was coming from a JUCO). SMFH can't believe he was given a scholarship, he should have been a walk-on!

MM is/was very adamant that he did not believe in playing freshman in any of the 22 starting positions, or in big roles. Not really a lil mac vs Viska debate, moreso the head coach having a stupid philosophy for freshman. Chev has some blame, but I find it hard to believe Chev really didn't want to play Viska in 2017.

I agree, I just don't really know how this got turned into a Viska vs JMac debate. Big Jim is the only one debating that I think. Of course Viska is the better player and he always has been. He would have been a better player in the slot as a True Freshman than what we had in JMac. That doesn't have anything to do with the assertion that Jay was some outlier of a recruit for that class who never should have been taken or given a scholarship out of high school. BJ wants to talk about his lack of P5 options, but doesn't care to look at the rest of that awful recruiting class that had a combined like 8 non CU P5 offers. Again, Jay MacIntyre was the same caliber of player as the rest of the 2014 class, aside from Shay Fields, and he PROVED that he was actually better than everyone.

Fun Fact: Akhello Witherspoon was the worst rated recruit in the class at .70 grade and had zero, I repeat zero P5 offers outside of CU (yes I know he was coming from a JUCO). SMFH can't believe he was given a scholarship, he should have been a walk-on!
Hitting on two players still doesn't justify recruiting at that level. Of course you are going to hit on guys like that everyone once in a while but overall you are going to suck big time.

Last edited:
I've never said that wasn't true. I've said he didn't deserve a scholarship at CU coming out to high school.
If you want to say he shouldn't have gotten a scholarship out of high school based on his measurables and recruiting ratings then that holds true for a lot of guys that MacIntyre recruited and put on scholarship.
If you want to say that he shouldn't have gotten a scholarship because having a coaches son on the roster is negative then you would have an argument but that is not Jay's fault.
If you want to say that he shouldn't have been offered a scholarship because he wasn't good enough then you need to say that for most of the guys we recruited in those classes.

Simple fact is that Mike MacIntyre is/was a good coach but he lost his job at CU because he and his staff didn't recruit at a PAC12 level. He had a few PAC12 recruits like Viska, mostly he was recruiting at a MWC level and some of those guys matured and developed. Remember that Bobo's best other offer was Idaho State.

If you want to to complain blame the head coach, Jay wasn't perfect but he gave us everything he had and was generally an effective player when called on.

If you want to say he shouldn't have gotten a scholarship out of high school based on his measurables and recruiting ratings then that holds true for a lot of guys that MacIntyre recruited and put on scholarship.
If you want to say that he shouldn't have gotten a scholarship because having a coaches son on the roster is negative then you would have an argument but that is not Jay's fault.
If you want to say that he shouldn't have been offered a scholarship because he wasn't good enough then you need to say that for most of the guys we recruited in those classes.

Simple fact is that Mike MacIntyre is/was a good coach but he lost his job at CU because he and his staff didn't recruit at a PAC12 level. He had a few PAC12 recruits like Viska, mostly he was recruiting at a MWC level and some of those guys matured and developed. Remember that Bobo's best other offer was Idaho State.

If you want to to complain blame the head coach, Jay wasn't perfect but he gave us everything he had and was generally an effective player when called on.
I can't even envision what this program would be right now if Chev never showed up. Hell, the only reason he is here is because of LC. CU would have been in the 70's every year recruiting and would have had a team chalk full of Macintyre's

Back