What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

LAVISKA SHENAULT IS A BAD BAD BAD MAN

Those assholes in Jacksonville better not do to 'Viska what Bum did to Earl.

They gave him 8 touches today, and he did great (7.4 yard average on 5 carries, 11.7 yard average on 3 receptions.) Viska is actually affecting game planning for opposing teams. Jags are also using him as a motion decoy on many plays, which opens up other receivers. Dude just needs to stay uninjured and he will be a star.

They gave him 8 touches today, and he did great (7.4 yard average on 5 carries, 11.7 yard average on 3 receptions.) Viska is actually affecting game planning for opposing teams. Jags are also using him as a motion decoy on many plays, which opens up other receivers. Dude just needs to stay uninjured and he will be a star.
I don't know, I know he's a different athlete, but when was the last time a guy became a star as kind of a gadget player? Gadget might not be the right description because he's a legitimate WR and RB to this point, but also Wildcat QB. Just seems like the "jack-of-all-trades" players can stick around the league for a while, but they rarely command big money and can't really think of one that became a star.

I don't know, I know he's a different athlete, but when was the last time a guy became a star as kind of a gadget player? Gadget might not be the right description because he's a legitimate WR and RB to this point, but also Wildcat QB. Just seems like the "jack-of-all-trades" players can stick around the league for a while, but they rarely command big money and can't really think of one that became a star.
I’d be pretty stoked if he ultimately turns into a Julian Edelman type player.

I’d be pretty stoked if he ultimately turns into a Julian Edelman type player.
A dominant slot WR? Absolutely! So far, though, he's being utilized like Ty Montgomery with the Packers from a few years ago.

Montgomery from 2016 had 77 Carries for 457 yards and 44 receptions for 348 yards

Viska on pace for 56 Carries for 376 yards and 48 receptions for 576 yards

I think a couple plays/game that gets him the ball as a runner is great, but more carries than receptions isn't going to be sustainable or make him a star, IMO.

I look at a star as a Pro Bowler, or top 10 at your position. All-Pro is a different animal. That would mean you are top 2 or 3 at your position in the entire league.
Well as a gadget player, he wouldn't have a "position". He would need to be a true standout to take a spot away from a true WR.

A dominant slot WR? Absolutely! So far, though, he's being utilized like Ty Montgomery with the Packers from a few years ago.

Montgomery from 2016 had 77 Carries for 457 yards and 44 receptions for 348 yards

I think a couple plays/game that gets him the ball as a runner is great, but more carries than receptions isn't going to be sustainable or make him a star, IMO.
Agreed, but Edelman was also more of a gadget player when he entered the league. Shenault’s a hard one to comp because most gadget players are much smaller than him and/or ones I hope he doesn’t become (Tebow, Taysom Hill, etc.).

Agreed, but Edelman was also more of a gadget player when he entered the league. Shenault’s a hard one to comp because most gadget players are much smaller than him and/or ones I hope he doesn’t become (Tebow, Taysom Hill, etc.).
Yeah, I'm all for using Viska creatively, but he's basically the Jags RB2, and I don't think that's good for him. I would like to see him used like Tyreek Hill; out wide, slot, jet motion, in the backfield, etc, but for him to be utilized as primarily a receiver out of those spots, not a 50/50 RB/WR split.

Christian McCaffery

If they keep using him like they are the worry is durability, how long can he last with multiple big impacts per game.

More than likely though they will eventually adjust his usage to more traditional WR type plays and probably on the outside.

Even with all the stuff he is doing right now he has already shown that he can be a mismatch on the outside. He is to fast and quick to cover with a safety but he is also fast enough to run with corners while physically dominating them when he needs to. If they are interested in sustainability his load will move more towards being an outside receiver. He can get open, will catch the ball even if it is contested, and given the chance will make a lot of corners look foolish who try to tackle him in open space.

He should still continue to get a few carries as well as routes out of the slot and what he is doing not will force opponents to worry about that stuff the rest of the year. Just having the threat established does positive things for the offense without repeating it so often that he gets beat up

The difference is McCaffrey is a RB who catches a lot of passes, while the Jags are trying to make Viska a WR who takes a lot of handoffs. Can't think of a single player who succeeded in that roll and became a star.
Part of the problem is his touches are limited, his HC said 4,5, maybe 10 in an interview and further complimented Viska's work w/o the ball. If half his touches are runs, his total yards are limited. Still too early to profile all that, hopefully he gets more targets.

I have always viewed Viska as a version of Ty Montgomery, just a much more athletic and explosive version. I think the narrative around Viska changes as soon as he breaks off a couple of big plays in a game. Given how physically dominating and explosive Viska is, I think that it's only matter of time before we see this (he is only two games into his career). He is just so different (much like Kordell was), the league is still figuring out what he is.

You're grumpy when you're fat.

The difference is McCaffrey is a RB who catches a lot of passes, while the Jags are trying to make Viska a WR who takes a lot of handoffs. Can't think of a single player who succeeded in that roll and became a star.
Also a valid consideration that RBs are used to taking hits (even an elusive guy like McCaffrey,) contact is a part of their game.

Viska has a history of taking handoffs in college, he also has a history of missing a lot of game time due to the effects of the hits he has taken.

Realistically how long does Viska last taking the kind of shots he has already been taking from NFL players? Viska is a unique athlete but he isn't that unique. You can't tell me that other teams haven't thought of using talented athletes who are WRs in a similar manner. What could a guy like Courtland Sutton do with the ball in his hands but then how long would he last doing it.

Also a valid consideration that RBs are used to taking hits (even an elusive guy like McCaffrey,) contact is a part of their game.

Viska has a history of taking handoffs in college, he also has a history of missing a lot of game time due to the effects of the hits he has taken.

Realistically how long does Viska last taking the kind of shots he has already been taking from NFL players? Viska is a unique athlete but he isn't that unique. You can't tell me that other teams haven't thought of using talented athletes who are WRs in a similar manner. What could a guy like Courtland Sutton do with the ball in his hands but then how long would he last doing it.
Denard Robinson from Michigan was a guy the Jags converted from QB to "Offensive Weapon" years ago and he lasted about 4 seasons in the league.

Viska can be an elite WR in the league if they actually develop him there, but that's not going to happen as long as he's also playing RB half the time.

Why did the Broncos pass on him for Jeudy?
I love Viska and I think he will be a star but no, you don't pass on Jeudy for Viska.

Biggest question on Viska as a pro still needs to be answered. Can he stay healthy? At CU he couldn't. In his first two pro games he has already taken some serious hits.

If he can stay on the field he could be something special, if not he will be another example of what could have been.

With Jeudy the only question is how good will he be, and we already know the floor is very high.

Back