What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles - Former HC OSU/LSU/Kansas

Why does the phrase “don’t do it again”, make me believe that they meant “don’t get caught”, not “don’t engage in the same behavior”?
f1406828-9659-407a-bbee-3ef2c6965c7c.jpg

Wonder how our extended Background Check would have done if we were actually interested in him? OR, did we (RG) already know what was up and we stayed away from him. Kansas seems pretty desperate to be good at athletics with Bill Self and Les Miles at the top, the Mount Rushmore of whatever it takes.
I think that you may have a point with RG already knowing enough to cause him to keep away. Boulder is not a place where an AD doesn't want to be explaining why he hired a coach with a background that would involve inappropriate conduct towards women.

Les is a high enough profile coach with a strong enough resume that for his best option to be Kansas probably means that his questionable personal actions are known among the ADs in the country.

Were these relationships between consenting adults that did not exist within a direct power structure? Am I missing something?

That's aggressive

They still owe him a bunch of money over the next couple years
Miles, according to his contract, received a $675,000 retention bonus from KU on Nov. 15, 2020 in addition to his annual salary of $2.775 million. Miles did agree to a 10% pay cut in 2020 due to the pandemic, though he also appeared to be in line for a $50,000 incentive payment thanks to his football team posting a grade-point average above 2.75 in the spring semester.

His contract runs through Dec. 31, 2023. That means KU Athletics still owes him just over $8 million on the deal, which includes his $2.775 million yearly salaries. He’s also scheduled to receive a $450,000 retention bonus on Nov. 15, 2022, while also getting a one-year, one-time rollover extension if he wins six games in any season.

But the contract has some language that looks to me like it is bound to end up in a legal battle but gives Kansas a way out of the deal in terms of reasons he can be fired for cause.
“12. [C]ommission of or participation in by Head Coach of any act, situation, or occurrence, or any conduct, which in Athletics’ or KU’s judgment brings Head Coach and/or KU into public disrepute, embarrassment, contempt, or ridicule or any public comments that disparage KU or Athletics, its personnel, programs, policies and/or departments, or that cause damage to KU’s reputation.”
Even if it isn't illegal messing around with co-eds is certainly something that could be argued to fit this clause.

His agent probably should have reminded him that coaches who are only 3-18, 1-16 in conference and coming of a winless year should probably be careful not to give the school reason to fire for cause.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article249714578.html

dodged a bullet on the grass eating predator, apparently. i thought he was a big name and could maybe help us but this kind of thing would have been a critical hit to us. lsu will wave their hands around and do an investigation and conclude they have to change. and then they will move on, small sanctions noted. we would have torn ourselves to pieces. and, even kansas is now forced to "investigate."

dodged a bullet on the grass eating predator, apparently. i thought he was a big name and could maybe help us but this kind of thing would have been a critical hit to us. lsu will wave their hands around and do an investigation and conclude they have to change. and then they will move on, small sanctions noted. we would have torn ourselves to pieces. and, even kansas is now forced to "investigate."
They’re investigating how to get out from underneath his big ass contract.

KU took a huge gamble and it didn’t pay off. This is what happens when the high risk/high reward choice turns out bad.

KU took a huge gamble and it didn’t pay off. This is what happens when the high risk/high reward choice turns out bad.
KU almost doesn't have a choice. No top coach is going there unless his options are limited.

Their only tradition is losing, they are in the middle of a recruiting dead zone.

They are a laughingstock nationally.

They are a basketball school. Their stadium is rarely approaching full, the fans expect them to lose, their other facilities don't stand out, and because they have been bad so long they don't have the resources coming in to buy themselves out of the hole unless they cheat, and in the past even that hasn't worked for them.

KU almost doesn't have a choice. No top coach is going there unless his options are limited.

Their only tradition is losing, they are in the middle of a recruiting dead zone.

They are a laughingstock nationally.

They are a basketball school. Their stadium is rarely approaching full, the fans expect them to lose, their other facilities don't stand out, and because they have been bad so long they don't have the resources coming in to buy themselves out of the hole unless they cheat, and in the past even that hasn't worked for them.
They should hire Hawkins. He's won games for them in the past.

They still owe him a bunch of money over the next couple years

But the contract has some language that looks to me like it is bound to end up in a legal battle but gives Kansas a way out of the deal in terms of reasons he can be fired for cause.

Even if it isn't illegal messing around with co-eds is certainly something that could be argued to fit this clause.

His agent probably should have reminded him that coaches who are only 3-18, 1-16 in conference and coming of a winless year should probably be careful not to give the school reason to fire for cause.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article249714578.html
I guess the ability to use this section (below) to demonstrate cause, for an act that happened prior to him being a KU employee, will depend on how they defined "Head Coach" in the employment agreement:

“12. [C]ommission of or participation in by Head Coach of any act, situation, or occurrence, or any conduct, which in Athletics’ or KU’s judgment brings Head Coach and/or KU into public disrepute, embarrassment, contempt, or ridicule or any public comments that disparage KU or Athletics, its personnel, programs, policies and/or departments, or that cause damage to KU’s reputation.”

Still, how did his agent/attorney not add, "while Head Coach is employed by KU" to this Section 12?

I guess the ability to use this section (below) to demonstrate cause, for an act that happened prior to him being a KU employee, will depend on how they defined "Head Coach" in the employment agreement:

Still, how did his agent/attorney not add, "while Head Coach is employed by KU" to this Section 12?

Meh. He's got a pretty good case that only post-contractual conduct is covered. I'd like to see the definition of "Head Coach" in the contract, though. In any case, if they want to get rid of him, they will pay. KU might be able to negotiate a little off the buyout amount, but they won't go to court over this, IMO.

Meh. He's got a pretty good case that only post-contractual conduct is covered. I'd like to see the definition of "Head Coach" in the contract, though. In any case, if they want to get rid of him, they will pay. KU might be able to negotiate a little off the buyout amount, but they won't go to court over this, IMO.
Les's career is over. He's not getting another job after this one.

In that situation he has no reason not to use every tool available to come out of it with the maximum amount of money.

I would imagine that if KU wanted to take him to court he could make them look pretty bad for not only vetting the hire before hand (Bring up that this information could have been found prior to hiring) but also throw them under the bus for anything that has been going on in the program since he got there. Take some of those SEC recruiting practices he has used and show that the school knew about them and either endorsed them or at least didn't shut them down.

Finish with stating that this firing isn't about who Les Miles is because the school knew or should have known that, it is about trying to get out of a contract because he isn't winning.

University administrators generally don't like conflict and they don't like negative press. Miles attorneys present them with this scenario and they are likely on the phone with some boosters building up the buyout funds and drafting the non-disclosure agreement. Les will get his money.

Yeah. Unless there's specific language covering past conduct. Kind of hard to say you can cite conduct from 8 years ago at a previous job which didn't amount to a fireable offense for that employer, didn't even rise to the level of a suspension.

Yeah. Unless there's specific language covering past conduct. Kind of hard to say you can cite conduct from 8 years ago at a previous job which didn't amount to a fireable offense for that employer, didn't even rise to the level of a suspension.
Heard through the grapevine that a good number of these contracts do include past conduct language especially if it results in sanctions. I heard it in the context of bb guys cuz a I asked a big deal sports lawyer why the dirtbags keep getting new high paid coaching gigs.

Back