What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - #20/21 (AP/ Coaches polls)/ #19 (NET rankings) Men's bball at #15 (NET) Arizona (Tucson, Saturday, 1/18, 12:30 PM MT, Fox)

OK Eeyore, whatever you say. Washington's offense has been damn right inept after losing Quade Green. They are a completely different team now yhen when they played Baylor and the Zags. Waszu is probably the worst team in the conference, sill fighting it out with Cal for that distinction though, time will tell.
If they get their guard situation figured out, they are going to be tough. Thinking more conference tournament time then next weekend, lots of length on that team.

I was not to concerned about a loss today, the Tempe win made this game gravy.

Having said that, losing this way could well knock them out of the rankings, which is disheartening.

It’s comments like this that piss people off. You can be crictical but don’t be stupid. CU is ranked in the top 25 in every metric. They’re not mediocre nor are they a pretender.

Disagree - they are mediocre again and will accomplish little this year, like nearly every year. Might have an upset win here or there, but it's the same old story.

Boyle's teams have little upside - they don't have the talent, coaching or toughness to handle being in the spotlight. The fact is his teams have not finished in the Top 4 of the PAC 12 once, and have won a grand total of one NCAA game in 10 years. That is the definition of mediocrity.

Last edited:
For the "sky is falling" jagoffs out there, I give you the following information:

#4 Auburn lost at Florida today by 22
#12 West Virginia lost at Kansas State today by 16
#5 Butler lost at DePaul today by 13
#21 Ohio State lost at Penn State today by 14

That's 4 other ranked teams that lost on the road to unranked teams by double digits - just today. The day's not over yet, either. #16 Wichita State is down 16 at Houston, and #8 Oregon is down 14 at Washington.

Moral of the story is: winning on the road in conference is hard. Unless you think that there are 8 "mediocre" teams in the top 25, you should probably just STFU about how bad we "suck".

I have had plenty of criticism of Tad in the past and am sure I will have more in the future. He is a guy who believes in what he does and sticks with it being very slow to change.

That said he is getting about as much out of this program as any coach could including a lot of coaches who would never come here in the first place.

Today was ugly. Buffs looked like they were beat from the start of the game, didn't have the energy level and intensity needed beat a highly talented team on their home floor with the PAC12 refs calling their typical game in favor of the home team.

This game though is not any reason to panic. A few things to keep in mind.

Almost all college teams have bad games (usually on the road) during the season.By the end of the year most of the teams in the top 25 with have at least one and usually more game their fans can point at and hold their noses, nature of basketball.

This team was coming off a big road win two nights before. In the PAC a split on the road is usually considered a successful weekend. Easy for them to have been satisfied and not quite as sharp as needed.

Big deal is that they were playing a very talented team that needed this win. Arizona is ranked but before this game lacked in quality wins. This one had a lot to do with potential seeding for them in the tourney. Arizona is arguably the best team money can buy on a short notice in the PAC. They needed this game.

CU is no longer a young team but it is a team with some young players playing key roles. For today those players weren't up to the moment, with time Tad has a history of maturing players.

Tad blamed himself a lot in the post-game. One of the big things he thought they did a bad job of coaching was how slowly and poorly they adjusted to UA changing up its defensive rules. The book on them is that they fight through screens, but today they changed it up and switched everything. That changes a lot of how the offense needs to be run and we didn't handle it.

Frankly, that's the way UA should play defense. They've got the rim protectors to recover from getting beat on pick n roll action or back cuts or bad matchups in the post from switches -- and they're really hard to deal with if you don't get space for mid- and long-range jumpers.

Disagree - they are mediocre again and will accomplish little this year, like nearly every year. Might have an upset win here or there, but it's the same old story.

Boyle's teams have little upside - they don't have the talent, coaching or toughness to handle being in the spotlight. The fact is his teams have not finished in the Top 4 of the PAC 12 once, and have won a grand total of one NCAA game in 10 years. That is the definition of mediocrity.
Fair enough. I don't mind differing opinions at all. We disagree on Tad & the program. And that's fine. I just wish that you'd spend more time joining us to celebrate wins. :)

Tad blamed himself a lot in the post-game. One of the big things he thought they did a bad job of coaching was how slowly and poorly they adjusted to UA changing up its defensive rules. The book on them is that they fight through screens, but today they changed it up and switched everything. That changes a lot of how the offense needs to be run and we didn't handle it.

Frankly, that's the way UA should play defense. They've got the rim protectors to recover from getting beat on pick n roll action or back cuts or bad matchups in the post from switches -- and they're really hard to deal with if you don't get space for mid- and long-range jumpers.
Teams are having to throw big time switch ups and secrets at us instead of playing us straight up. I just wish it hadn't worked despite the sign of respect

This loss was not unexpected and would have been fine if it weren't for the Oregon State loss, which is the one that really really hurts us IMO. To have a shot at a top-4 finish or win the conference we're going to need to sweep the LA schools or the bay schools. No easy task.

btw, when will Stanford actually play a decent team this year? Their schedule has been beyond pathetic.

This loss was not unexpected and would have been fine if it weren't for the Oregon State loss, which is the one that really really hurts us IMO. To have a shot at a top-4 finish or win the conference we're going to need to sweep the LA schools or the bay schools. No easy task.

btw, when will Stanford actually play a decent team this year? Their schedule has been beyond pathetic.

you do realize this AZ team got destroyed by Oregon St

I get it. Tad coaches and recruits a very frustrating style of basketball. Its a lot like the air raid in football. It will win you a lot of games, but will probably never get you in to a final 4. However, what would you rather have? A coach who constantly wins, or someone who will pull off a huge upset once a year, but is constantly .500?

However, this team is perfect for Tad ball and probably CU's best team in 20 plus years. Game day talked about Dayton potentially being the first mid major to win the whole thing. A team who CU beat. That is rare territory and should let you know how wide open college basketball is this year. Relax and enjoy the ride. Probably going to be another game like this, but this is a team that I really respect.

I get it. Tad coaches and recruits a very frustrating style of basketball. Its a lot like the air raid in football. It will win you a lot of games, but will probably never get you in to a final 4. However, what would you rather have? A coach who constantly wins, or someone who will pull off a huge upset once a year, but is constantly .500?

However, this team is perfect for Tad ball and probably CU's best team in 20 plus years. Game day talked about Dayton potentially being the first mid major to win the whole thing. A team who CU beat. That is rare territory and should let you know how wide open college basketball is this year. Relax and enjoy the ride. Probably going to be another game like this, but this is a team that I really respect.
Dayton won’t win it all, but it’s nice to have potential. And we beat them in their court.

today definitely wasn't our day. i do like that our fans want more than a split down there. i don't like the all or nothing attitudes. i am no expert but i do think this team can make a run if they fix some things and get hot.

For the "sky is falling" jagoffs out there, I give you the following information:

#4 Auburn lost at Florida today by 22
#12 West Virginia lost at Kansas State today by 16
#5 Butler lost at DePaul today by 13
#21 Ohio State lost at Penn State today by 14

That's 4 other ranked teams that lost on the road to unranked teams by double digits - just today. The day's not over yet, either. #16 Wichita State is down 16 at Houston, and #8 Oregon is down 14 at Washington.

Moral of the story is: winning on the road in conference is hard. Unless you think that there are 8 "mediocre" teams in the top 25, you should probably just STFU about how bad we "suck".

A couple of things-One, winning at Arizona State (something we hadn't done before Thursday) is one of the best road wins we've had in the last few years. Haven't won there since 2011? Let's add a nod to Clemson (another team we beat)-they got a win at Chapel Hill and beat Duke in the last week. We've got a great body of work right now. R-E-L-A-X.

OK Eeyore, whatever you say. Washington's offense has been damn right inept after losing Quade Green. They are a completely different team now yhen when they played Baylor and the Zags. Waszu is probably the worst team in the conference, sill fighting it out with Cal for that distinction though, time will tell.
Well, the worst team in the conference just swept the Oregon schools ... so they’re not that bad I guess.

Need improvement in a few ways:
Bey and Battey must understand not to lower or drop the ball down in the post and to use body nudges to hold space!
Schwartz is the missing link to this team! He has so much more to offer and needs to let loose his skills way more!
Kin is a freaking stud and could win the Naismith next year!

We will win the next 6 games. Next loss will be at Oregon and then we will beat OSU after that.
This team is good, but I think the main problem is getting ready to go again after a big win. Need to fix that before tournament time where every game is big.
The good news is they have been good at bouncing back after a loss and they don’t really have any “bad” losses.

Are you actually making the claim that the #20 ranked basketball team (out of 300+) is “mediocre”?

If this Nnaji kid is that good as a true freshman, just imagine how good he'll be in 3 years as a senior for the Beardowns. Arizona is sure to be a Final Four contender in 2023 when the current freshman class are all seniors.

We will win the next 6 games. Next loss will be at Oregon and then we will beat OSU after that.
This team is good, but I think the main problem is getting ready to go again after a big win. Need to fix that before tournament time where every game is big.
The good news is they have been good at bouncing back after a loss and they don’t really have any “bad” losses.

More likely we'll go 5-1, and that's good enough.

Inconsistency has become a tradition for Tad’s teams in PAC12 play, although really it’s throughout the conference. So I’m reluctant to expect us to win the next 6 games, although we “should” based on the scenario (4 at home, 2 road games vs the weak LA schools). This team has shown signs of less inconsistency than most other years, which is no doubt connected to being a better team. Will be interesting to see how the conference results unfold. Looks like a great chance to finally be in the top 4 and get the first round tournament pass.

You go 8-1 at home and 5-4 on the road you’re probably going to win the conference. They can still accomplish both those things. That’s the goal. 7-2 and 4-5 is a more likely outcome, but that does not make the season a failure.
Some jackasses that only post when we lose think that 18-0 is the only acceptable outcome. (Not directed at you by the way)

I think 5-4 should be the expectation. And will potentially result in a split championship. My goal is 8-1 at home and 6-3 on the road, and I think we can get the Pac-12 outright. Will be a total challenge, but that’s the goal. We will be dogs at UA (L) , Oregon, and USC, and we’ll see how it shakes out, but slight underdogs at OSU and Stanford. The other four, we should be favored. We should win 1 of those 5 (expectation) but the goal would be to win 2 of 5, and hold serve on the other home and away games in which we will be favored. Our 1-1 road trip fits that narrative, so we need to pick up a road sweep or two. 4-5 road finish, while still getting us in the dance easily and top 4 in the PAC, would be a disappointment, by my standards (as that’s only a 1 game improvement over last year).

Back