What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookin ahead to 2021-22

These.

Faulkner hurt but I thought we could make a late surge without him. Allen is rough though. We needed him on the wing. I’m terrified this ends up with us going big in response which…..

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

You think that's more likely than playing 3 guards a lot?

You think that's more likely than playing 3 guards a lot?

I do purely because of Tad’s history. Personally, I’d go three guards and let Walker, Battey and Lovering rotate between the two big spots with DeSilva getting spot minutes. But my stance on PGs is well known (and almost a parody at this point).

I do purely because of Tad’s history. Personally, I’d go three guards and let Walker, Battey and Lovering rotate between the two big spots with DeSilva getting spot minutes. But my stance on PGs is well known (and almost a parody at this point).
Da Silva is getting more than spot minutes, IMO.

Da Silva is getting more than spot minutes, IMO.
Da Silva plays "Tad ball." Nothing flashy, but he exicutes consistently both when the Buffs have the ball and when he's defending. He understand the offense and moves well without the ball. He works hard and is smart on defense. Doesn't make many mistakes.

I predict he'll be integral in many Buff wins this season.

Da Silva plays "Tad ball." Nothing flashy, but he exicutes consistently both when the Buffs have the ball and when he's defending. He understand the offense and moves well without the ball. He works hard and is smart on defense. Doesn't make many mistakes.

I predict he'll be integral in many Buff wins this season.

I think he grows into an all-around scorer this season as well.

Agreed that we’ll really miss Quincy’s size & D on the wing.

Agreed that Tristan will become scorer.

But Luke, Nique & Javon will be given every chance to show they can defend & rebound the 3 spot. Nique already showing he’s committed to D & Rbding. Javon is such a bull-dog; he’ll earn more minutes at 3-spot in 3 guard line-ups by end of the season. Luke’s D & Rbding could be difference maker on the season.

Luke and Julian (& even our potential walk-on/ 2-sport/ quarterback Drew) shot over 50% from 3 in HS. I don’t think we’ll lack fire-power- even from 11th man off bench.

We’re probably not going to finish 13 AdjO & 23 AdjD again-like last year. But a top-20 O & top-30 D puts us in 8 or 9 range seed in tourney. Top 20 range D & we’re getting top-25 votes before end of the year.

It may be a lot to expect of mostly underclass, but I expect floor to be top-6 finish in PAC & 11th or 12th seed in tourney minimum. Against Creighton (maybe), UCLA, Tennesse & Kansas- we may know more by December?

I don't like it as much as what Jon Wilner's doing in San Jose:

But Matt doing some new college basketball reporting from Connecticut:

But Luke, Nique & Javon will be given every chance to show they can defend & rebound the 3 spot. Nique already showing he’s committed to D & Rbding. Javon is such a bull-dog; he’ll earn more minutes at 3-spot in 3 guard line-ups by end of the season. Luke’s D & Rbding could be difference maker on the season.

Luke and Julian (& even our potential walk-on/ 2-sport/ quarterback Drew) shot over 50% from 3 in HS. I don’t think we’ll lack fire-power- even from 11th man off bench.

We’re probably not going to finish 13 AdjO & 23 AdjD again-like last year. But a top-20 O & top-30 D puts us in 8 or 9 range seed in tourney. Top 20 range D & we’re getting top-25 votes before end of the year.

It may be a lot to expect of mostly underclass, but I expect floor to be top-6 finish in PAC & 11th or 12th seed in tourney minimum. Against Creighton (maybe), UCLA, Tennesse & Kansas- we may know more by December?
I'm sorry, but your posts read like Bigbang/Johnny Depth more and more.

At minimum?!?! I think it's great the bbal threads have gotten more popular as the program's had more success. The optimism is great, but I think too lofty expectations can set people up for disappointment to the point of being unreasonable in their critiques. Kin commanded the locker room and the floor; replacing him will be incredibly difficult (not to mention the other losses). At minimum, I expect a record around 500 (even if a little less) while throwing some punches during losses and showing potential for a solid 22-23. I hope for a better record, maybe approaching NIT, and some real promise from KJ and Lawson, with some development from Jabari, Tristan, Kee, and Nique.

I hope to eat crow, but in the unfortunate case that my minimum expectations become reality, mark this post. An idiot like me was able to see it coming - save your criticisms of Tad and the program. The program is the heathiest it's been as long as I've been a fan.

At minimum?!?! I think it's great the bbal threads have gotten more popular as the program's had more success. The optimism is great, but I think too lofty expectations can set people up for disappointment to the point of being unreasonable in their critiques. Kin commanded the locker room and the floor; replacing him will be incredibly difficult (not to mention the other losses). At minimum, I expect a record around 500 (even if a little less) while throwing some punches during losses and showing potential for a solid 22-23. I hope for a better record, maybe approaching NIT, and some real promise from KJ and Lawson, with some development from Jabari, Tristan, Kee, and Nique.

I hope to eat crow, but in the unfortunate case that my minimum expectations become reality, mark this post. An idiot like me was able to see it coming - save your criticisms of Tad and the program. The program is the heathiest it's been as long as I've been a fan.

Since I only really follow CBB through the Buffs, I'm unacquainted with what would be reasonable expectations after signing a top ten recruiting class. I'm guessing, however, that most programs would expect to go dancing with these freshman. So, my only real hesitancy with predicting a 20-win season is that Tad hasn't put together a season like that with this inexperienced a roster in the past.

Last edited:
Since I only really follow CBB through the Buffs, I'm unacquainted with what would be a reasonable expectations after signing a top ten recruiting class. I'm guessing, however, that most programs would expect to go dancing with these freshman. So, my only real hesitancy with predicting a 20-win season is that Tad hasn't put together a season like that with this inexperienced a roster in the past.
It's a great class.

But you also have to remember that basketball class ranks are not like football.

It was a large class of really good prospects.

I don't know if that's better than a class that maybe had room for 2 guys and landed higher rated 4*s than the top of our class.

Because of that variability, I kind of think that you need to look at a 3-year rolling average rank to compare team recruiting in MBB.

Whether we're an NIT type season or a Dance & Advance type season comes down to health (as always) and 2 questions:

1. Will we get plus play from the PG spot?

2. Will Jabari play like a lottery pick?
We need to replace 46+ pts a game plus the 2nd best player the program has ever had. A healthy Allen would have been a huge plus. People thinking Clifford or O'Brien are going to suddenly become more than role players are delusional. Both are worth 5-6 PPG this year, I'm afraid. Parquet is going to have to do more on the offensive side which I think he can do. The front court combo of Battey and Walker needs to get us 30/12 every night for us to really push for 20+ wins. Even with that, I think the Buffs are going to have to be more nasty on D than ever before. I was originally thinking 21/22 wins. Now, I'm thinking more like 18/19. An NCAA bid would be glorious, but I'd take a long NIT run.

Since I only really follow CBB through the Buffs, I'm unacquainted with what would be a reasonable expectations after signing a top ten recruiting class. I'm guessing, however, that most programs would expect to go dancing with these freshman. So, my only real hesitancy with predicting a 20-win season is that Tad hasn't put together a season like that with this inexperienced a roster in the past.
And arguably the best player in the class is out for the year, so...

We need to replace 46+ pts a game plus the 2nd best player the program has ever had. A healthy Allen would have been a huge plus. People thinking Clifford or O'Brien are going to suddenly become more than role players are delusional. Both are worth 5-6 PPG this year, I'm afraid. Parquet is going to have to do more on the offensive side which I think he can do. The front court combo of Battey and Walker needs to get us 30/12 every night for us to really push for 20+ wins. Even with that, I think the Buffs are going to have to be more nasty on D than ever before. I was originally thinking 21/22 wins. Now, I'm thinking more like 18/19. An NCAA bid would be glorious, but I'd take a long NIT run.
We're probably too young to take advantage of it, but the out of conference sked with Tennessee and Kansas at home would provide just the kind of lift a 19-20 win team needs for a bid. I agree with you on the D.

Since I only really follow CBB through the Buffs, I'm unacquainted with what would be reasonable expectations after signing a top ten recruiting class. I'm guessing, however, that most programs would expect to go dancing with these freshman. So, my only real hesitancy with predicting a 20-win season is that Tad hasn't put together a season like that with this inexperienced a roster in the past.

I think Buffnik's response captures it, but to add on, I don't think most programs would expect to go dancing with these freshmen, mainly bc of the makeup of the class. Maybe Lovering shows himself to be way further along than anticipated, but that's not really likely. None of them are 5* prospects that are going to carry a team, which is completely fine of course. We all should enjoy watching this class develop.

I think Buffnik's response captures it, but to add on, I don't think most programs would expect to go dancing with these freshmen, mainly bc of the makeup of the class. Maybe Lovering shows himself to be way further along than anticipated, but that's not really likely. None of them are 5* prospects that are going to carry a team, which is completely fine of course. We all should enjoy watching this class develop.
I think the bigger issue is last year's class. Somebody other than Walker needs to go off this year. We're talking 11/5/2 type numbers. If that happens we could be just fine.

Here's a fun game to wash away your football discontent!

Montana State W
New Mexico W
Maine W
Southern Illinois W
Northeastern W
Creighton L
Stanford W
@UCLA L
Tennessee L
Eastern Washington W (trap game)
Milwaukee W
CSU Bakersfield W
Kansas L
@Oregon L
@Oregon State L
Washington W
Washington State W
@Arizona L
@Arizona State L
USC W
UCLA L
@UWashington W
@Wash State L
Oregon W
Oregon State W (trap game)
Utah W
@Cal W (trap game)
@Stanford L
Arizona W
Arizona State W
@Utah L

19-12

Win one, lose one in the Pac12 Tourney and sit at 20-13 on Selection Sunday.

It's college basketball. Nearly every team has 1 or more 'unacceptable' losses every season.
For sure. I'm just confused by the take that fans should not be really frustrated with a loss to Maine and then really excited to get a W over UCLA. To me those highs and lows are all part of the normal trajectory for fans.

Back