What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looking ahead 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luv Bobi & Ethan additions! Happy Dance!

Tad IS recruiting Jokic-type w/ lighter weight: Diop! CU will have elite passing bigs/wings w/ Hurlburt, Klintman & maybe Diop & Normand! Even High & Betts above-average passers (probably similar to Tristan now).

I would hope Jabari stays and you give Klintman chance to red-shirt & get stronger. But Bobi & Luke both seem to want to play, so doubt either consider redshirt years.

I really think Javon and Quincy are going to be good enough to take minutes from Julian and Luke by end of year. So think you offer redshirts to both RJ & Julian. Maybe Luke.

If Jabari doesn’t come back, you only go for a second grad transfer, like Ethan, So you still have two open spots to offer the great 2023 big wings that CU are in deep with.

Really believe Sweet-16 is realistic goal next couple years, with or without Jabari. The fact that Bobbi has already added 30 pounds since coming to US, bodes well for him developing into point/power forward. But guessing Tad will prefer to use him as more of a 2/3- like Quincy & Luke. So Tad can use ‘23 signee’s in front-court 4 spots/3-5 spots.

Did you notice Luke stayed listed as “Guard” last year? Tad always said he wanted to use Luke as a 2-guard, who can bring the ball up at times (more of Nique and Javon’s role). I’m guessing Quincy & Bobbi are only 2 listed as “Guard/Forwards” this coming year. But Tristan, Luke & Javon (over Nique?) likely will get time at 3, when Quincy & Bobbi not at 3?

I might give Nique & Javon odds to beat Julian out for some minutes at the 1 by second half of next year. But Luv Julian (and maybe even CU’s redshirt quarterback Drew Carter) as more combo guards, that could see more time at 2 than 1 after this coming year? The both have D, can run team, but the fact both of them can shoot 40-50% from 3- may make them more valuable off the ball?

Tad IS recruiting Jokic-type w/ lighter weight: Diop! CU will have elite passing bigs/wings w/ Hurlburt, Klintman & maybe Diop & Normand! Even High & Betts above-average passers (probably similar to Tristan now).

I would hope Jabari stays and you give Klintman chance to red-shirt & get stronger. But Bobi & Luke both seem to want to play, so doubt either consider redshirt years.

I really think Javon and Quincy are going to be good enough to take minutes from Julian and Luke by end of year. So think you offer redshirts to both RJ & Julian. Maybe Luke.

If Jabari doesn’t come back, you only go for a second grad transfer, like Ethan, So you still have two open spots to offer the great 2023 big wings that CU are in deep with.

Really believe Sweet-16 is realistic goal next couple years, with or without Jabari. The fact that Bobbi has already added 30 pounds since coming to US, bodes well for him developing into point/power forward. But guessing Tad will prefer to use him as more of a 2/3- like Quincy & Luke. So Tad can use ‘23 signee’s in front-court 4 spots/3-5 spots.

Did you notice Luke stayed listed as “Guard” last year? Tad always said he wanted to use Luke as a 2-guard, who can bring the ball up at times (more of Nique and Javon’s role). I’m guessing Quincy & Bobbi are only 2 listed as “Guard/Forwards” this coming year. But Tristan, Luke & Javon (over Nique?) likely will get time at 3, when Quincy & Bobbi not at 3?

I might give Nique & Javon odds to beat Julian out for some minutes at the 1 by second half of next year. But Luv Julian (and maybe even CU’s redshirt quarterback Drew Carter) as more combo guards, that could see more time at 2 than 1 after this coming year? The both have D, can run team, but the fact both of them can shoot 40-50% from 3- may make them more valuable off the ball?
Man, I love your enthusiasm but sometimes your posts run that fine line of dropping into BB2 territory. You'll hit with some good information then just spin outta control with some nonsense.

Unique is nowhere near a good enough ball handler to play point.

How I Met Your Mother Reaction GIF by Laff

This I think is bull****, they need to put up some rules and regs in the portal, they can't have teams in the same league effectively tampering. I've thought this before now and I think it still.

Also some sort of restriction on COACHES recruiting former players who are under contract...i mean scholarship. If the coach gets canned it is one thing but if he's poached for an upgrade that is where my issue comes in. Thinking Lincoln Riley pulling players out of OU as an example (and I like USC and hate OU).

Good to hear he's fully cleared to participate.
Unfortunately, in the same article it states that Javon Ruffin is not healthy yet.

As for Allen, it seems has used his time rehabilitating to bulk up in the weight room.

Buffs are going to have a lot of depth in '22-'23.

This I think is bull****, they need to put up some rules and regs in the portal, they can't have teams in the same league effectively tampering. I've thought this before now and I think it still.

Also some sort of restriction on COACHES recruiting former players who are under contract...i mean scholarship. If the coach gets canned it is one thing but if he's poached for an upgrade that is where my issue comes in. Thinking Lincoln Riley pulling players out of OU as an example (and I like USC and hate OU).
It bothers me, too. But I also think it's legally dangerous to restrict transfer options and also that it's better for the P12 to keep the talent in the league.

I'm not sure how to balance all this. If I knew, I guess someone would be paying me at least Larry Scott money.

It bothers me, too. But I also think it's legally dangerous to restrict transfer options and also that it's better for the P12 to keep the talent in the league.

I'm not sure how to balance all this. If I knew, I guess someone would be paying me at least Larry Scott money.
Don’t know about that. Larry Scott didn’t know and they paid him Larry Scott money.

Only issue with this line of thinking is if we want to compare scholarships to contracts. In the workforce you can leave for better paying jobs/situations at your leisure.

In addition, Kee committed due to his relationship with Quincy Guerrier (both Montreal natives) just as much as he did Altman. Package deals have long been a thing in recruiting. Player relationships matter just as much if not more than coaches sometimes.

Last thought on this. Kee wasn’t as much poached as he saw his writing on the wall as a starter at CU. Kee would’ve been coming off the bench at CU and he has a chance to start at Oregon. Yes he may have been reaching out to Quincy during the season and talked about the possibility but at the end of the days that’s human nature. If I transferred I’d reach out to former teammates, coaches, and buddies from back home to find the best situation for me too.

Jaime Jaquez Jr is back at UCLA. Wow, didn't see that coming. His little sister is a McDonalds All American and coming in for their women's team. Maybe he wants to show her the ropes. Also the NIL deals in LA have to help. This is huge for the PAC.
Saw both he and Juzang are skated as very late 2nd round picks. Like almost not drafted late, so it's not that surprising. Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Juzang back as well.

At this point, the biggest question in my mind about how successful the Buffs will be next season is highly dependent on the play and leadership of the guards. Jabari or no Jabari the team will have a lot of talent and depth. Should Walker return, he will obviously be a starter. Beyond that, it looks like there will be a lot of position battles.

But with all the talent, what's going to determine how successful the team will be is the ability of the guards on both ends to dictate the game. It's easy to anoint KJ Simpson the point guard given his raw talent, but he has some work to do. He's got to cut down on his turnovers, that's a big one. His decision making with the ball in his hands isn't consistent. Also, he needs to be a much more consistent three point shooter.

I'm fired up about the team next season, but it's tempered a bit wondering about the consistency and leadership of the guards.

At this point, the biggest question in my mind about how successful the Buffs will be next season is highly dependent on the play and leadership of the guards. Jabari or no Jabari the team will have a lot of talent and depth. Should Walker return, he will obviously be a starter. Beyond that, it looks like there will be a lot of position battles.

But with all the talent, what's going to determine how successful the team will be is the ability of the guards on both ends to dictate the game. It's easy to anoint KJ Simpson the point guard given his raw talent, but he has some work to do. He's got to cut down on his turnovers, that's a big one. His decision making with the ball in his hands isn't consistent. Also, he needs to be a much more consistent three point shooter.

I'm fired up about the team next season, but it's tempered a bit wondering about the consistency and leadership of the guards.
Is a Spencer-like frosh to soph jump too much to hope for?

KJ shouldn’t be asked to shoot 3s and won’t be. He and Hammond will asked to pass and penetrate. Allen, Wright, Clifford, and DaSilva will be by asked to do the majority of work from 3. 3’s from KJ and Hammond will be gravy.

Only issue with this line of thinking is if we want to compare scholarships to contracts. In the workforce you can leave for better paying jobs/situations at your leisure.

In addition, Kee committed due to his relationship with Quincy Guerrier (both Montreal natives) just as much as he did Altman. Package deals have long been a thing in recruiting. Player relationships matter just as much if not more than coaches sometimes.

Last thought on this. Kee wasn’t as much poached as he saw his writing on the wall as a starter at CU. Kee would’ve been coming off the bench at CU and he has a chance to start at Oregon. Yes he may have been reaching out to Quincy during the season and talked about the possibility but at the end of the days that’s human nature. If I transferred I’d reach out to former teammates, coaches, and buddies from back home to find the best situation for me too.
If he’d gone to Oregon St. no one would care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back