What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Loyola Marymount (CA) Lookalike & Game thread - MBB (Boulder, Wednesday, 12/4, 8:00 PM MT, Pac 12 Networks)

That was the first game this year that had me concerned. Right now, I'm still leaning towards "perfect storm" of opponent style that frustrates us, combined with a bad night, combined with thinking more about Kansas. But yeah, that wasn't good. Turnovers are killing us. Bey & Kountz have been turnover machines this year (along with the bigs, but I'm not as concerned with them). They've gotta fix that. If not for Kin & D'Shawn, our team numbers would be BRUTAL.

We’re 270th in FG%. Wow. That’s amazing for a team with this much experience.

226th in eFG%. 65th in 3%. 187th in FT%. Where we're getting killed is 2pt% (303rd). Thinking some of that is bad luck at the rim, but the 3 & FT numbers mean I'm not as worried.

That was the first game this year that had me concerned. Right now, I'm still leaning towards "perfect storm" of opponent style that frustrates us, combined with a bad night, combined with thinking more about Kansas. But yeah, that wasn't good. Turnovers are killing us. Bey & Kountz have been turnover machines this year (along with the bigs, but I'm not as concerned with them). They've gotta fix that. If not for Kin & D'Shawn, our team numbers would be BRUTAL.

226th in eFG%. 65th in 3%. 187th in FT%. Where we're getting killed is 2pt% (303rd). Thinking some of that is bad luck at the rim, but the 3 & FT numbers mean I'm not as worried.
Dunlap really had the perfect game plan for defending us. Lots of pressure, but it was soft by always keeping 2 guys back so that we couldn't get anything easy at the rim when we broke pressure. Lots of doubling and trapping in the half court to speed us up and force extra passes.

If we played well then that game plan results in us hitting cutters and wide open 3pt shooters for easy shots. If we'd controlled turnovers (8-12 range) and attacked the paint then we'd have been pushing a 100 point night and would have won by 20-30. It was definitely a case of "this is the book on you and if you can beat us you'll blow us out -- but if you can't then we might pull an upset".

KU does a lot of the same things with how they pressure, jump passing lanes and double off perimeter screens. I'm worried that Saturday could look a lot like the last time we went to Lawrence with XT and Stalzer as our freshmen PG backups getting completely overwhelmed. Kin has to orchestrate and control this game without being negative on Assist/Turnover. If that happens, I think we've got a decent chance at pulling an upset.

This post is not to say we shouldn’t worry about how we’re playing or when we play poorly against mediocre teams. It’s just to show that it’s basketball and it happens to the best teams too. And yeah, of course playing bad is going to result in losses against better teams.

Might as well start with this one:

Duke ****ing lost to SFA at home. Also only led by 2 against Georgia State at home.

#1 Louisville only led by 6 at half to USC Upstate (whatever the **** that is) at home.

#2 Kansas, our next opponent, lost to the team who lost to SFA! Joking about that being bad bc it’s Duke, but they also only led by 4 at half against UNC Greensboro. Only led by 2 at half against known **** school horrible sports teams, BYU.

#3 Maryland only led by 3 at home against Rhode Island. Decent team but still a 12 point fav. Trailed Temple by 5 at half and Harvard by 4.

Is this enough examples to get everyone to stop freaking the **** out just because we have a bad half against an inferior opponent? Rhetorical. I know it won’t.

This post is not to say we shouldn’t worry about how we’re playing or when we play poorly against mediocre teams. It’s just to show that it’s basketball and it happens to the best teams too. And yeah, of course playing bad is going to result in losses against better teams.

Duke ****ing lost to SFA at home. Also only led by 2 against Georgia State at home.

#1 Louisville only led by 6 at half to USC Upstate (whatever the **** that is) at home.

#2 Kansas, our next opponent, lost to the team who lost to SFA! Joking about that being bad bc it’s Duke, but they also only led by 4 at half against UNC Greensboro. Only led by 2 at half against known **** school horrible sports teams, BYU.

#3 Maryland only led by 3 at home against Rhode Island. Decent team but still a 12 point fav. Trailed Temple by 5 at half and Harvard by 4.

Is this enough examples to get everyone to stop freaking the **** out just because we have a bad half against an inferior opponent? Rhetorical. I know it won’t.
Thanks for that! I feel better!

This kind of thing does happen in B Ball.

Though Kansas being behind by 2 at the half against BYU is not as terrible as it seems.
BYU has beaten Virginia Tech and UCLA this year. Granted they also have losses to San Diego St, Utah, and Boise St. The inconsistency there is likely that they rely on 3s and when those are going down they are a tough out.
There senior G TJ Haws is a balding dude, that looks like he could be 30 but if he is on they are deadly.

This kind of thing does happen in B Ball.

Though Kansas being behind by 2 at the half against BYU is not as terrible as it seems.
BYU has beaten Virginia Tech and UCLA this year. Granted they also have losses to San Diego St, Utah, and Boise St. The inconsistency there is likely that they rely on 3s and when those are going down they are a tough out.
There senior G TJ Haws is a balding dude, that looks like he could be 30 but if he is on they are deadly.
BYU sucks at everything. No one can convince me otherwise.

Back