What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Kennedy new, but soon to be old CU President - Official CU president Thread

Lots of people thought “oil man” Benson was a terrible choice before he came in and blew the doors off of prior fund raising efforts. So, I’m willing to see what this guy brings.

On the other hand, Kroll was the vice chair on the search committee, so there’s that.

I’m unclear how UND could be having a massive budget shortfall with all the oil money in that state right now. Something doesn’t seem right about that.

I’m starting to get nervous about this hire.

He's taking over a University that just spent billions in capital projects across 4 campuses. Gotta think the regents are making this hire with budget cuts in mind.

This

Almost sense that he isn't being hired to be popular, he is being hired to accomplish an agenda.

Also almost certain that with the combination of the inevitable economic slowdown (economic cycles happen) and the oncoming budget issues for both the state and university some very hard decisions are on the way.

I’m unclear how UND could be having a massive budget shortfall with all the oil money in that state right now. Something doesn’t seem right about that.

Not Sure is a perfect handle. WTF are you talking about "all the oil money"? Oil prices dropped dramatically several years ago, have you not noticed the lower prices at the pump over this period?

UW is almost fully funded by oil and gas money, they only have 400k residence after all and most of those are ranchers and misanthropes. UW was fat with cash for years, building out a respectable university and then the oil prices tanked when OPEC tried to kill the US frackers and UW has been belt tightening and downsizing at a very painful pace. The same at UND.

I'm not defending the guy, but geez, at least show up to the right ballpark if you want to play.

This

Almost sense that he isn't being hired to be popular, he is being hired to accomplish an agenda.

Also almost certain that with the combination of the inevitable economic slowdown (economic cycles happen) and the oncoming budget issues for both the state and university some very hard decisions are on the way.
The university hardly gets anything from the state as far as funding goes. He needs to be another tireless fund raiser like Benson.

Or you know, repeal TABOR.

Not Sure is a perfect handle. WTF are you talking about "all the oil money"? Oil prices dropped dramatically several years ago, have you not noticed the lower prices at the pump over this period?

UW is almost fully funded by oil and gas money, they only have 400k residence after all and most of those are ranchers and misanthropes. UW was fat with cash for years, building out a respectable university and then the oil prices tanked when OPEC tried to kill the US frackers and UW has been belt tightening and downsizing at a very painful pace. The same at UND.

I'm not defending the guy, but geez, at least show up to the right ballpark if you want to play.

Don’t be a dick.

Not the most encouraging comments from UND fans in response to this:

UND was in the Big Sky Conference and being the far easternmost school in that conference, the travel charges do rack up in a hurry. They moved to The Summit league which is the same one as Denver is playing in so those sports could be coming back at some point.

UND was also going through a very controversial nickname change from the Fighting Sioux to Fighting Hawks. That was why the MVFC and Summit league did not admit them while their other Dakota brothers NDSU, SDSU, and USD were admitted. Fighting Hawks will play this upcoming season as a FCS independent and play a Big Sky Conference schedule before joining the MVFC next year.

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2017/3/29/211538211.aspx

Guess some people are sore over losing women's ice hockey and both swimming & diving teams. Same for baseball and men's golf.

Those cuts were necessary due to higher scholarship costs related with being in that conference. Not unusual as UNC struggled in football in the Big Sky after the Great West Conference folded and that conference didn't require the full 63 scholarship count that the Big Sky Conference does.

Nebraska-Omaha eliminated their football and wrestling programs after moving up from D2 to the Summit as well. Wrestling's removal was controversial locally but the Summit doesn't sponsor that sport.

Changing conferences means a change in how you allocate the athletic money within your department and this was no exception.

On a positive side, maybe the new president will bring hockey to Boulder. (y)

UND was in the Big Sky Conference and being the far easternmost school in that conference, the travel charges do rack up in a hurry. They moved to The Summit league which is the same one as Denver is playing in so those sports could be coming back at some point.

UND was also going through a very controversial nickname change from the Fighting Sioux to Fighting Hawks. That was why the MVFC and Summit league did not admit them while their other Dakota brothers NDSU, SDSU, and USD were admitted. Fighting Hawks will play this upcoming season as a FCS independent and play a Big Sky Conference schedule before joining the MVFC next year.

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2017/3/29/211538211.aspx

Guess some people are sore over losing women's ice hockey and both swimming & diving teams. Same for baseball and men's golf.

Those cuts were necessary due to higher scholarship costs related with being in that conference. Not unusual as UNC struggled in football in the Big Sky after the Great West Conference folded and that conference didn't require the full 63 scholarship count that the Big Sky Conference does.

Nebraska-Omaha eliminated their football and wrestling programs after moving up from D2 to the Summit as well. Wrestling's removal was controversial locally but the Summit doesn't sponsor that sport.

Changing conferences means a change in how you allocate the athletic money within your department and this was no exception.

On a positive side, maybe the new president will bring hockey to Boulder. (y)
Good information. Thanks.

It is sad how true this is for UW.

On the surface, to me this looks like a poor and uninspired hire.

I was never worried about Benson, because he came in to fundraise, and that is what he did. Sure, UCD and UCCS are a mess, but Benson successfully fundraised like a mad man.

This got doesn't appear to be an effective fundraiser. In fact, I'm not sure what his particular skill is outside of cutting budgets to the bone.

Maybe you are cool with that, but I am not with the current financial situation and the University

Not sure I've seen one remark from a UND fan that was postitive. Coming from a smaller school thar is concerning. Maybe more concerning is some of the comments and stories around his issues with donors. Given the lack of state funding for the university, the ability to create positive donor relationships to offset of costs seems like it would be a major need, especially since CU doesn't have any real mega donors.
https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4578987-mcgarry-no-engelstad-money-while-kennedy-und

He ****ing interviewed at UCF a few months ago and even they didn’t want him.

Not sure I've seen one remark from a UND fan that was postitive. Coming from a smaller school thar is concerning. Maybe more concerning is some of the comments and stories around his issues with donors. Given the lack of state funding for the university, the ability to create positive donor relationships to offset of costs seems like it would be a major need, especially since CU doesn't have any real mega donors.
https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4578987-mcgarry-no-engelstad-money-while-kennedy-und

I recall that Engelstad family threatening to not finish the arena that was under construction due to the nickname issue. Given that they also run the arena for their popular hockey team, it's possible that that family has political power to get what they want for the school. Not unlike Boone T. Pickens at Oklahoma State and that is why it was a good thing CU resisted such efforts in the past. Every future UND president is going to have to deal with that family still being upset about dropping the Fighting Sioux nickname.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kennedy_(politician)

His wikipedia profile...seems not much different from Benson's in some way.

Based on the information available, it's difficult to draw concussions on how Kennedy will do as CU President given the unique circumstances at UND.

The question to be asked was UND forced to cut their budget due to state politics? I don't think that has been answered in this thread and with the current political climate in Colorado, I don't see any reason to be concerned at this point.

Does the BOR decide the chancellor to run the schools? Given how close DiStef is to retirement, this should be interesting.

UND athletics appears to have a better future since they have been reunited with their Dakota brothers. They will be back to playing the three other Dakota schools annually starting next year if not this fall. Keep in mind they couldn't join the Summit and MVFC due to the nickname issue.

Back