What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker killed my love of college athletics

We'll revisit this when we know who RG hires. If the reports are true that they were willing to match the MSU offer (or come close), then I am confident they can pull another Tucker caliber coach from the coordinator ranks. Would be awesome if this galvanized the AD, boosters and even administration (yes I know not likely) and CU ponied up the resources to put together a great staff.

We've got another 3m to play with at least. Id prefer not to get used by another P5 coordinator-but if we're going this route give me Tony Elliott or Brent Venables.

CU is as fragile today as ever. So is P12. This is a serious rebuke.

I don’t disagree the situation is bad. As bad as at the end of the Embree era? Winning like one game, bad attendance, no facilities, no AD leadership? This is not as bad.

It's excessive to say if RG makes a good hire, we will be in the same place as we are now? The bad thing about Tucker is that he was only here for one year. The good thing about Tucker is that he was only here for one year. CU can go 5-7 with another coach too...
First year and second year are so different in any position. New hire has to sell every player on his vision all over again, this year's RS-Sophs, Juniors, and Seniors will be asked to buy into the third different vision.

There's a loss of momentum.

It might only be a stutter step back, but it's not going to be a clean lateral step with no loss of momentum.

My hope is that anger at these events is a stronger motivator for on-field success than any prior positive inspiration ever was: I think we've seen enough of "lovin' 'em up."

What I want to know is why does MT think anyone will ever believe anything he says in a recruit's living room again: "I love you, man," followed one week later by.... "You don't have the bills, man"?

Yep - i'm not a real CU fan!
Definitely didn’t mean it like that but said it like that.

I’m just as bummed as you, but man you’ve stuck with CU through some BS that most people wouldn’t. We can’t let some liar ruin our love for the buffs!

Definitely didn’t mean it like that but said it like that.

I’m just as bummed as you, but man you’ve stuck with CU through some BS that most people wouldn’t. We can’t let some liar ruin our love for the buffs!

It isn't CU... it is college athletics. It isn't fun to invest in at this point in time. The money has gotten out of control and poisoned it for me. I love the Buffs, but I don't enjoy watching the University struggle just to be mediocre year after year - not when the deck is stacked against them.

Would you prefer to get used by G5 HC? Unless you're talking about a guy like EB or an older guys like Shanahan, CU is going to be used by anyone.

I said this in a post recently-its one thing to bolt after four or five years and multiple bowl bids. It's another to do it after a 5 win season that didnt look much different on the field than MacIntyres last two. The former is a fact of life in the business. The latter is snake-like.

I said this in a post recently-its one thing to bolt after four or five years and multiple bowl bids. It's another to do it after a 5 win season that didnt look much different on the field than MacIntyres last two. The former is a fact of life in the business. The latter is snake-like.
I agree but that is exclusive to to Tucker, not all P5 coordinators.

It isn't CU... it is college athletics. It isn't fun to invest in at this point in time. The money has gotten out of control and poisoned it for me. I love the Buffs, but I don't enjoy watching the University struggle just to be mediocre year after year - not when the deck is stacked against them.
True. And likely to only be magnified if they begin to pay the athletes.

hey at least our ski team is sick

I hear you buddy.

I've been here for several years now - I just can't bring myself to stay emotionally invested when the only return on my investment is heartache. I still root for the Buffs, but I just don't make them a priority as much as I used to. I have joked with friends that it's like investing in a ponzi scheme -- you never get to realize the upside, but you get all the downside.

Just hoping for a decent (Wisconsin) type program. We will never be an SEC type program unless and until we get media money like they do.

I do enjoy the games as my old roommate and his wife have season tickets next to me and my wife. We like the tailgating and being surrounded by fellow fans we have now known for over a decade. Do we expect to have Alabama type seasons, no, but we have other reasons to enjoy our tickets.

Win more than lose, and be competitive in losses, and I would be happy.
Clemson thought the same thing about being a “decent Wisconsin” type of program. But, then Dabo happened. Never. Ever. Be happy with mediocrity. I want National Titles and respect for the Colorado programs.

This has been college sports for a while now. It just so happened to be CU on the bad end of the stick this time.

CU needs to position themselves into a conference (BIG/SEC) that gives themselves a chance, or find a mega donor like Phil Knight. The Pac 12 is trash and will continue to be. Being 100 million dollars behind in the next 4-5 years will be too late.

Clemson thought the same thing about being a “decent Wisconsin” type of program. But, then Dabo happened. Never. Ever. Be happy with mediocrity. I want National Titles and respect for the Colorado programs.
I would gladly take this level of mediocrity over what we have seen.

RkYearConfWLTPctSRSSOSAP PreAP HighAP PostCoach(es)BowlNotes
12019Big Ten1040.71417.737.7319611Paul Chryst (10-4)Rose Bowl-L
22018Big Ten850.6157.682.6044Paul Chryst (8-5)Pinstripe Bowl-W
32017Big Ten1310.92922.616.18937Paul Chryst (13-1)Orange Bowl-W
42016Big Ten1130.78615.305.3059Paul Chryst (11-3)Cotton Bowl-W
52015Big Ten1030.76910.851.39201921Paul Chryst (10-3)Holiday Bowl-W
62014Big Ten1130.78612.701.91141113Barry Alvarez (1-0), Gary Andersen (10-3)Outback Bowl-W
72013Big Ten940.69214.202.28231422Gary Andersen (9-4)Capital One Bowl-L
82012Big Ten860.5719.772.911212Bret Bielema (8-5), Barry Alvarez (0-1)Rose Bowl-L
92011Big Ten1130.78615.890.6811410Bret Bielema (11-3)Rose Bowl-L
102010Big Ten1120.84614.020.641247Bret Bielema (11-2)Rose Bowl-L
112009Big Ten1030.7698.190.351616Bret Bielema (10-3)Champs Sports Bowl-W
122008Big Ten760.5381.821.13138Bret Bielema (7-6)Champs Sports Bowl-L
132007Big Ten940.6925.310.087524Bret Bielema (9-4)Outback Bowl-L
142006Big Ten1210.92311.97-2.8867Bret Bielema (12-1)Capital One Bowl-W
152005Big Ten1030.76911.814.191415Barry Alvarez (10-3)Capital One Bowl-W
162004Big Ten930.7508.692.3521417Barry Alvarez (9-3)Outback Bowl-L
172003Big Ten760.5386.444.212114Barry Alvarez (7-6)Music City Bowl-L
182002Big Ten860.5718.554.772519Barry Alvarez (8-6)Alamo Bowl-W
192001Big Ten570.4172.915.332222Barry Alvarez (5-7)
202000Big

It is a sad commentary on me that I feel anger over this. Too invested in a program that keeps kicking me in the nuts.
I do not wish Mel or MichiganState well on this. He really burned some great kids that had trusted his words.
So you are blaming CU for this?

Mine has been taking a hit recently too. Just can't stand the hypocritical nature of most of the coaches involved anymore and how they hold these public institutions ransom for all of this money and then are complicit on limiting what student athletes can make. When you hear over and over how much nicer college facilities are than professional ones it just makes you want to give up sometimes.

Sort of why I brought up the potential legislation a couple months back to limit spending and salaries.

I've been bearish on the program and the NCAA essentially since the ugly Embree exit and Coach Mac accusing the university of racism. That was probably rock bottom for me.. As a jaded cynic, it helps my heart from being too broken on days like today.

I've been using the term "cautiously optimistic" to describe Tucker's momentum over and over again, because I've been burned by this program so many times.

If there is any silver lining positive spin here -- it's that Tucker hasn't proven himself to be a good gameday coach, one solid recruiting class doesn't make a program -- and if he's really got such low integrity, then perhaps this is better long term? I know it feels like sour grapes,and it is, but I think there is some truth to it.

The positive is that we signed a good class. And thats helps for landing the next coach in so much that he's not starting completely from scratch. Or worse having to scrap together that transitional class of unrated players just to get some bodies in because the last guy bailed before LOI day.

I also agree that the story on Tucker is still out. He might be great, but like most coaches, he's probably just mediocre.

The sad part, as Dio apptly points out, is its a business and its becoming more and more of one every year and less and less an amateur sport. The days of Bill McCartney type coach who invests years in players and a program seem to be fading fast.

The blame for this doesn't go to the Pac 12 or CU. 100% of the blame goes to the lying piece of **** that used to be our football coach. He is a liar, fraud, and phony. This season will be even more enjoyable for me than it usually is. Now I get to not only support my beloved Buffs but spend the rest of my time supporting every team that plays MSU and taking great pleasure in watching them lose. What a train wreck of a university. They deserve each other. And to those of you who say we shouldn't waste our time being angry at the piece of **** that used to be our coach, to each their own. I hate the guy. I hope his career crashes and burns. What he did to our players, the fans, and the university that showed great faith in him, I won't ever forgive him for it. Your word should mean something. Not even meeting with his players face-to-face, what a pussy. From this point forward, he is my least favorite person in sports. I will root against him no matter where he goes for the rest of his career. I'm not being petty, I'm just being honest. NOTHING can make me stop supporting my Buffs. Hopefully our next coach will be a good and honest man and will stick around long enough to get the job done.

RG is a competitive dude. He feels like (legitimately so) he was ****ed over by someone that he trusted and wanted. Competitors fight back.

I would not be surprised in the least if this caused RG to overreact (in a good way) and raise more money to bring a splash HC hire to the table. Despite our current feelings, we are an attractive location for coaches again. Good facilities, good young roster, increasing support, a down conference as a whole.

@dio I felt very similar to you as stated in your well written OP. But I encourage you to wait and see how CU reacts to getting ****ed before checking out. Just my 2 cents

The blame for this doesn't go to the Pac 12 or CU. 100% of the blame goes to the lying piece of **** that used to be our football coach. He is a liar, fraud, and phony. This season will be even more enjoyable for me than it usually is. Now I get to not only support my beloved Buffs but spend the rest of my time supporting every team that plays MSU and taking great pleasure in watching them lose. What a train wreck of a university. They deserve each other. And to those of you who say we shouldn't waste our time being angry at the piece of **** that used to be our coach, to each their own. I hate the guy. I hope his career crashes and burns. What he did to our players, the fans, and the university that showed great faith in him, I won't ever forgive him for it. Your word should mean something. Not even meeting with his players face-to-face, what a *****. From this point forward, he is my least favorite person in sports. I will root against him no matter where he goes for the rest of his career. I'm not being petty, I'm just being honest. NOTHING can make me stop supporting my Buffs. Hopefully our next coach will be a good and honest man and will stick around long enough to get the job done.
Your going to have to stop holding back if we are going to get anywhere.

Back