What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker leaves CU for Michigan State

I wonder what kind of bull**** he was feeding to PL when they were sitting together courtside at the Buffs MBB game a few weeks ago...

"Hey Phil, now that you're a star in the NFL can I get you to help me bump my status with the league? I won't let you down..."
I actually have no doubts that even a week ago (or whenever Dantonio retired), MT was not even thinking about jumping to another job.

Asking for honest opinions here: I keep seeing that "For years in the NFL, Mel was considered not only a top coordinator but a head coaching candidate". The only program I know of that he was named a candidate for was Tennessee. If he has been considered a candidate for years why has it taken this long for him to become a head coach?? That seems odd..

I've been stewing about this news for almost 24 hours. looked back at my original post about him (above). Maybe it was a character issue all along. And I keep thinking back to that video of him touring the facilities. To me it seemed so fake appreciation and that he was not impressed at all. CU was always a stepping stone for Tel Mucker.

But honestly what was he thinking? ok its double the money but...

1. He had already put in the effort to get through the largest hurdle - buy in from the team, boosters, fan base...he had already accomplished it here
2. He just signed a top 30ish recruiting class
3. He was in a less competitive/easier conference to be successful at
4. Had the opportunity to bring back a power house program with pretty low expectations
5. Only had 1 year under his belt
6. Had a losing season
7. Had to have known there would be blow back

Aside from all of that, how do you morally leave the players and everyone else involved hanging like this?

Did you see the his presser? I could only handle some of it, but he was literally trying not to break down into tears. I don't get it, I really don't.

I've been stewing about this news for almost 24 hours. looked back at my original post about him (above). Maybe it was a character issue all along. And I keep thinking back to that video of him touring the facilities. To me it seemed so fake appreciation and that he was not impressed at all. CU was always a stepping stone for Tel Mucker.

1. He had already put in the effort to get through the largest hurdle - buy in from the team, boosters, fan base...he had already accomplished it here
4. Had the opportunity to bring back a power house program with pretty low expectations
6. Had a losing season

Aside from all of that, how do you morally leave the players and everyone else involved hanging like this?

Did you see the his presser? I could only handle some of it, but he was literally trying not to break down into tears. I don't get it, I really don't.
I think this may have happened so quickly that Tucker didn’t realize the implications of his actions. Probably hit hard on that long plane ride. He made his bed, he can have fun sleeping in it.

Just that I doubt he was actually being disingenuous or pushing an agenda with PL (or anyone else for that matter) sitting court side. And yes I know you were being facetious.

Idk, Phil had an IG story heading to Boulder on Sunday, 2/2 when Ashaad was in town on his unofficial before NSD. Do we think MT used Phil to seal the deal for CU?

I've thought for a while the best way to maintain parity in the NCAA would be to cap coaching salaries. It's funny to see how mercenary coaches are while they at the same time complain about the transfer portal.

I get MT's decision, it's the nature of the game, but II feel like there's more honesty in the illegality of buying/paying players than there is having a dozen to teams drown out resources with buckets of cash.

Well. Still processing this.
To me it seems that Mel used RG and the media to negotiate with MSU.
so A+ on negotiating. D- for ethics.
For Mel $$$>>Integrity

But thinking about it’s actually better this way for CU. It stings. But likely he would be gone anyway. He could have done the politically astute thing and not said he was committed to CU
This way... we may have kids who want to leave... but no kids will want to leave for him.
A

Character and integrity are important to me in this search if we're going outside of the program.

6. Had a losing season

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Generational wealth is something you can be overcome by.

I mean, we can all talk about how badly he handled this and how big of a liar he is and how he left all the kids high and dry. All true.

Somebody mentioned how he can explain this to his boys. Well, his boys will never have to want for anything in their lives now.

Now, I'm being mostly a dick here, he probably was emotional for multiple reasons not related to money. Maybe even regret for how he left things here. But the one thing none of us can debate is that he is set for life, as well as the rest of his family.

Let me know if this has been said in this thread already, and I apologize if so.

But my my most important thought on this is cfb coaches have way too much power. We all know the ****ed up economy of cfb, but this is exhibit A on why HC contracts don’t mean anything to them, but they they mean a lot to the players they recruit.

The cfb writers can bitch at CU fans for bein pissed, cause ya know, this is a business. But no business, professional league or anything runs like this. And the important part of this equation is the players aren’t really employees.

It just ****in pisses me off.

Wow. I just watched the entire press conference. He is broken. I am sure he will bounce back. Bu damn. That was terrible. He was a mess

My impression from watching the press conference is different. I see a man living on the nostalgia from his past, where his coaching career and life with his wife began. He's also making bank, Saban gave him a public vote of approval...he was emotionally happy to the point of breaking down to tears. He knew last week he wanted this job and ultimitely played CU. No integrity - good riddance.
I am curious about one thing. He mentions coming to his decision Tuesday night by saying something like "it became obvious I needed to take it". Didn't he talk to RG Tuesday night? I'm hoping RG told him "look Mel, if you're still thinking about MSU, then I don't think you're the person I thought I was hiring 14 months ago. I want someone whose committed to CU, and you're obviously not him. I think you should go now".

Okay. Enough of anger and bargaining and all that grief bull****. Our former HC is in the rear view mirror. I believe CU will come out fine. I have a lot of faith in RG.

I appreciated his approach when discussing our former HC. He didn’t come across as angry and bitter. He’s a true professional. He will not panic. He will garner support from boosters and the admin. And he will make a good decision in the search for a new coach.

I don’t care if the former HC succeeds or not. I don’t care about him at all. Good luck and have a happy life. As for CU, we are looking forward. Not back.

Okay. Enough of anger and bargaining and all that grief bull****. Our former HC is in the rear view mirror. I believe CU will come out fine. I have a lot of faith in RG.

I appreciated his approach when discussing our former HC. He didn’t come across as angry and bitter. He’s a true professional. He will not panic. He will garner support from boosters and the admin. And he will make a good decision in the search for a new coach.

I don’t care if the former HC succeeds or not. I don’t care about him at all. Good luck and have a happy life. As for CU, we are looking forward. Not back.

I've switched from anger at Tucker to hoping our future involves EB returning.

I actually rather enjoy coaching searches. (y)
Think of it this way, while I feel badly for the recruits, if the former HC had left before signing day, we would be really screwed. When the new guy comes in and wins over their loyalty, we have a chance to be pretty good next year and will forget the former guy was ever here.

When Embree was fired after two seasons, there was no talk of morality. Now that a coach decides to take the money and leave, the fans are now talking about morality. I get it, fans will be fans.

Tucker made the right decision to take the higher paying job. CU is getting $3 million dollars in compensation. The guy was a 5-7 coach, still unproven. His recruiting class was not even top 6 in the pac 12. Why are fans angry. I can understand players getting angry. But as a fan, I am not. RG should find us a quality replacement to fend off players transferring.

Hey Husker Troll like-****ing this thread... No matter how ****ty things are right now we still have scoreboard.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Generational wealth is something you can be overcome by.

I mean, we can all talk about how badly he handled this and how big of a liar he is and how he left all the kids high and dry. All true.

Somebody mentioned how he can explain this to his boys. Well, his boys will never have to want for anything in their lives now.

Now, I'm being mostly a dick here, he probably was emotional for multiple reasons not related to money. Maybe even regret for how he left things here. But the one thing none of us can debate is that he is set for life, as well as the rest of his family.
He was already making generational wealrh. Now he has more, sure, but lost his integrity, and can no longer tell his good guy waiting for the one job story.

Reactions: DBT
For perspective, I don't view Tucker's lies much different than an AD giving a "vote of confidence" to a struggling coach only to fire that coach days later. E.g. CU's AD reportedly gave FHCMM said vote of confidence two weeks before firing him.

It only differs by degree, from my perspective.

AFAIK, Tucker did nothing to violate his contract, which allowed for an early exit without notice. The issue is only about his public comments.

For perspective, I don't view Tucker's lies much different than an AD giving a "vote of confidence" to a struggling coach only to fire that coach days later. E.g. CU's AD reportedly gave FHCMM said vote of confidence two weeks before firing him.

It only differs by degree, from my perspective.

AFAIK, Tucker did nothing to violate his contract, which allowed for an early exit without notice. The issue is only about his public comments.

Plus the timing with this move coming so shortly after signing day and the questions that come when a coach leaves after only one year.

After sleeping on all this. This is what I am most disapointed in with ot all.

#1 for a team to come after a coach that is "happy in his job" out of the blue and in a contract with said job. I almost think mel contacted them with some interest??? when the msu job came open...... still slimy either way.

#2 a school and RG took a chance on a coach with no head coach experience, one would think that coach would honor at least part of what he started to prove his value and worth..... slimy either way..

Back