What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Sanford – OC/Interim Head Coach University of Colorado

He has to make the appearance of trying but doesn't have to really try. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up out of football for a bit or ends up doing analyst work somewhere nearby. I thought he would have been a good get for UNC.
The above is not what the contract states.

The above is not what the contract states.
Well obtaining comparable employment is rather difficult when there are only so many OC/QB coach jobs out there. Pretty much everyone knows he isn't going to find comparable employment. Reasonable and affirmative steps would simply mean having your agent put your name in for every comparable position, including G5 spots. It doesn't mean he has to apply for or accept any coaching job at any level.

Well obtaining comparable employment is rather difficult when there are only so many OC/QB coach jobs out there. Pretty much everyone knows he isn't going to find comparable employment. Reasonable and affirmative steps would simply mean having your agent put your name in for every comparable position, including G5 spots. It doesn't mean he has to apply for or accept any coaching job at any level.
His ability to hang out as a well paid unemployed person is because Colorado is not willing to enforce its agreements. The contract creates an affirmative obligation to seek employment — even as a position coach. Your original poisition about him not having to do that because of the contract remains totally incorrect.

Not taking over the head job. He is volunteering with them. Jason Klatt is the head coach at Mead if you had bothered to read the article. Jason is the brother of Joel.

BTW, I know one of Mike's neighbors, not the chatty one mentioned in the article. I was told that Mike's wife likes the area and didn't want to move again, so likely he didn't really pursue any other jobs this year. No need to as he had a 3 yr contract so he is still getting paid.
Now here's the crazy thing: Jason Klatt is most definitely a better coach.

I don't have any hard feelings towards Mike Sanford. Legitimately good dude who cares deeply about the players and CU students. I just didn't want him to become our HC or remain on staff. I think, given his values, he should look for a HC job in the RMAC or similar. He's too nice and too much of a purist for this level of competition.
Agree with this.

College football coaching can be a grind, long hours, lots of time away from family, frequent moves, and when you are losing very depressing.

He is young enough to take another swing at it but he has been coaching since 2005, with recent results he isn't likely to get a major HC job or even an OC job. Settling in and coaching a D2 program would probably be a great fit for him. He could have his own program and run it his way without worrying about the pressure involved at the BCS level.

The UNC suggestions I would reject because that school is a coaching graveyard, they aren't committed enough to compete at the FCS level. Some RMAC schools would be a great fit and I think Colorado HS coaches and kids would love him.

His ability to hang out as a well paid unemployed person is because Colorado is not willing to enforce its agreements. The contract creates an affirmative obligation to seek employment — even as a position coach. Your original poisition about him not having to do that because of the contract remains totally incorrect.
You are correct about the obligation to seek employment but if somebody doesn't want to work it isn't hard to not get hired.

Submit resumes to a few schools, do some interviews, talk to some buddies in the coaching business and in the interview let them know that you really aren't interested in being a position coach and in fact you are kind of burned out and not looking to work really hard.

Historically Colorado hasn't been strict about enforcing offset provisions in contracts. Haven't heard much about Dorrell working much towards finding anything that would offset his golden parachute either.

I feel bad for him. He didn't get a fair shake. Under Sanford we beat Cal and were competitive with ASU. Other than that he was given a ****ty team recruited by an uninspiring nobody of a HC and told to play Oregon, USC, Utah, and Washington. Could have been Mike Sanford or Nick Saban: that's a no-win scenario. Would I prefer him over coach prime? Obviously no but if dorrell can get a permanent P5 HC job then Sanford should be able to as well.

I feel bad for him. He didn't get a fair shake. Under Sanford we beat Cal and were competitive with ASU. Other than that he was given a ****ty team recruited by an uninspiring nobody of a HC and told to play Oregon, USC, Utah, and Washington. Could have been Mike Sanford or Nick Saban: that's a no-win scenario. Would I prefer him over coach prime? Obviously no but if dorrell can get a permanent P5 HC job then Sanford should be able to as well.
Yeah Mike Sanford and Nick Saban are equals in the profession!

He was the typical hire you would expect from cardboard. Sanford's entire career was a year or two in a location before being replaced. When you hire an OC away from a school, and the entire fanbase of that school is happy that the coach is leaving, you have made a bad choice.

This?

Two days before the first game with Coach Prime kicks off?

This?

Remember the "Thank you Mike Sanford" sign at the Utah game? He stepped into a no-win scenario and gave us something to cheer for in a ****ty situation. I remember that. I have nothing but positive feelings for him and hope he lands someplace great.

Nothing about that detracts from the excitement and anticipation of this weekend's game.

Reactions: DBT
Remember the "Thank you Mike Sanford" sign at the Utah game? He stepped into a no-win scenario and gave us something to cheer for in a ****ty situation. I remember that. I have nothing but positive feelings for him and hope he lands someplace great.

Nothing about that detracts from the excitement and anticipation of this weekend's game.
Season 8 Reaction GIF by The Office

you-did-your-best-dad-mike.gif

Karl Dorrell has no business being a P5 HC and neither does Sanford. Nice guys, but nothing on either resume says HC material.

Hey Mike - enjoy the taxpayer’s no-show million bucks and shut the fvck up.

Mike, shouldn't you be preparing for the big game against Mullen tomorrow?

Back