What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez sucks...time to move on...

I think you have to consider letting Stenstrom have a series or two, and if Lytle is healthy, maybe he gets it. You cannot just go 100% with Montez and act as though all is good to go.

He doesn't need to play anymore. I get waiting until bowl eligibility is off the table. If we lose to Stanford, there's no point in him playing the last two games, especially with an off week after Saturday. This is also (like many have said) a good chance for Tucker to rid this team of an entitlement issue among some of the upperclassmen. Regardless, Stevies a khaki pants pick by (ideally for him) a team like the Chargers, Saints, or Falcons......all of which are situations where he can come in and learn how to play with consistency by watching somebody much better than him for a while.

He doesn't need to play anymore. I get waiting until bowl eligibility is off the table. If we lose to Stanford, there's no point in him playing the last two games, especially with an off week after Saturday. This is also (like many have said) a good chance for Tucker to rid this team of an entitlement issue among some of the upperclassmen. Regardless, Stevies a khaki pants pick by (ideally for him) a team like the Chargers, Saints, or Falcons......all of which are situations where he can come in and learn how to play with consistency by watching somebody much better than him for a while.
Tucker was very clear and resolute on this matter earlier this week.

So you bench him for Senior Day?

I am not as convinced as many of you that next year's QB is on this roster.
Doesn't matter. You need to get the other guys some looks, if for no other reason than SM12 isn't that good. 2) At least 1 stays and we need to see what he can do if the other guy gets injured, doesn't play well, etc. 3) MT shouldn't want a backup with a combined 5 snaps in 2 plus years on the roster.

There is no way dude gets drafted, UDFA all the way (if at all).

Who is convinced? I think most people would need convincing our QB of the future currently wears black and gold.

This is a sucky situation! I agree with many that it would be great to move on from SM12, but he probably deserves to be recognized on Senior Day, but not really because of how he has played, and back and forth and back and forth. I think the key point is that next year is good for Tucker to have a clean slate and to see who can play, and whether or not a Grad Transfer is a must or not as big a deal. I think and hope that Brendon Lewis is ready to walk in and light it up in a more open offense designed for him, but I actually believe that Lytle and Stenstrom are good QB's and none of us can absolutely say that they cannot play, or could not possibly win the starting job? We are a prisoner of Montez, and no matter what happens these last 3 games, we need a fresh start, and I am fine giving Steven some love for his career, and I just wish he would have put it all together and had more wins!!!

So you bench him for Senior Day?

If we lose Saturday, I'd either a) sit him altogether or b) give Stenstrom and Lytle a couple series each (assuming Lytle is healthy enough to play) in that game. I get that its Senior Day, but you've got to find a happy medium between honoring the seniors and ensuring you're doing what's best for the future of the program. One of my biggest questions for this team going into 2020 is the QB situation. If I had to bet, I'd say we're starting either Lewis or a grad transfer against CSU next year, but I'd argue we're not doing right by Stenstrom and Lytle to give them a chance to operate this offense this year and get stuff on tape for the coaches going into the spring if we lose to Stanford.

Tucker was very clear and resolute on this matter earlier this week.

That doesn't mean we as fans have to agree with his decisions.

There is no way dude gets drafted, UDFA all the way (if at all).

This is a dumb take-he's a 6'5", 230 pound QB with a pretty good arm. He's going to get drafted, and its going to probably be way earlier than a lot of you think. Should Denver be the team to do it? No-too many other holes on this roster to take a flyer on another khaki pants QB. The teams I cited in the previous post are perfect spots for him-He wouldn't need to play immediately in any of those situations, and he'd have great QBs to watch and learn from in all three. The Chargers and Saints in particular need to start thinking about life after Rivers and Brees respectively, so I'd expect both to take QBs at some point in April. I think you always take at least take a flyer on a QB in the draft-even if you don't need them. New England has used backups they've developed to gain additional draft capital (Jimmy G) and fill other holes on their roster (Brissett).

He might get drafted late, but it will not be any earlier than day three.

Walterfootball.com still has him going in rounds 2-4. If somebody with the time to develop him (the Saints) gets him, they could fix his consistency issues.

This is a sucky situation! I agree with many that it would be great to move on from SM12, but he probably deserves to be recognized on Senior Day, but not really because of how he has played, and back and forth and back and forth. I think the key point is that next year is good for Tucker to have a clean slate and to see who can play, and whether or not a Grad Transfer is a must or not as big a deal. I think and hope that Brendon Lewis is ready to walk in and light it up in a more open offense designed for him, but I actually believe that Lytle and Stenstrom are good QB's and none of us can absolutely say that they cannot play, or could not possibly win the starting job? We are a prisoner of Montez, and no matter what happens these last 3 games, we need a fresh start, and I am fine giving Steven some love for his career, and I just wish he would have put it all together and had more wins!!!
I have absolutely no reason to believe Lytle or Stenstrom are appreciably better than SM12. The only hope I have for next season is if Brendon Lewis is a phenom...he will have lots of talent around him.

Walterfootball.com still has him going in rounds 2-4. If somebody with the time to develop him (the Saints) gets him, they could fix his consistency issues.

Someone who had spoken to multiple scouts from different teams just a couple weeks ago gave me the impression his stock has tanked.

Agreed, I'd be shocked if he's drafted anywhere before day 3. Someone will take a shot on him as a udfa, I'm pretty sure. Whoever tries to mold this guy better have some freaking Bill Walsh type skills.

Someone who had spoken to multiple scouts from different teams just a couple weeks ago gave me the impression his stock has tanked.

Wouldn't shock me, but we've still got a few games (and the underwear olympics) before the draft. I'd take a flyer on him as a developmental guy. He's an intriguing talent if you think you can get his consistency issues fixed.

Wouldn't shock me, but we've still got a few games (and the underwear olympics) before the draft. I'd take a flyer on him as a developmental guy. He's an intriguing talent if you think you can get his consistency issues fixed.
What about his mental game? He gets into panic mode pretty damn quickly. Just curious.

What about his mental game? He gets into panic mode pretty damn quickly. Just curious.
Right. Montez knows what to do. You’ll hear him say in interviews, “I know I need to step up in the pocket.” He just doesn’t have the ability to quickly process information from his reads and cross reference it with his film work frequently enough in the context of an entire game.

Right. Montez knows what to do. You’ll hear him say in interviews, “I know I need to step up in the pocket.” He just doesn’t have the ability to quickly process information from his reads and cross reference it with his film work frequently enough in the context of an entire game.
Couldnt have said it better, and we've seen years of it. If scouts looking at him are competent, in the least, they know it's not an accident.

Same deal. If I'm a QB needy team or somebody who might be in the market for a QB (like the Broncos), he's off my board because his tendency to panic and streakiness are too much. If I'm running a team that has stability at QB (New Orleans, Green Bay, or San Francisco), I'd take him and see if I could fix that stuff because I've got time to do it. The Saints/Niners are the perfect situation for him-Bridgewater's probably going to be starting somewhere else in 2020. Sean Payton loves Taysom Hill. SM could be QB3 and get to learn from Brees. One of those Niner backups (my guess is Mullens-If Denver tries the vet QB thing AGAIN, they'd trade for him) probably gets a shot to start somewhere else too.

Same deal. If I'm a QB needy team or somebody who might be in the market for a QB (like the Broncos), he's off my board because his tendency to panic and streakiness are too much. If I'm running a team that has stability at QB (New Orleans or Green Bay for example), I'd take him and see if I could fix that stuff because I've got time to do it. The Saints are the perfect situation for him-Bridgewater's probably going to be starting somewhere else in 2020. Sean Payton loves Taysom Hill. SM could be QB3 and get to learn from Brees.
What if the Saints win the Super Bowl? I know Brees said something about playing a few more years, but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't. That is, if they win it.

What if the Saints win the Super Bowl? I know Brees said something about playing a few more years, but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't. That is, if they win it.

Then they'll pay Bridgewater, make Hill the backup, and then draft a kid like SM or Costello and keep doing what they're doing honestly. I don't see Teddy B going anywhere if he can start for a team that is built to be a contender for the next few years-especially after he won 5 games in a row as their starter. If SM winds up in a place where he can be developed without the pressure of playing for a year or two, he can be a successful pro.

Then they'll pay Bridgewater, make Hill the backup, and then draft a kid like SM or Costello and keep doing what they're doing honestly. I don't see Teddy B going anywhere if he can start for a team that is built to be a contender for the next few years-especially after he won 5 games in a row as their starter. If SM winds up in a place where he can be developed without the pressure of playing for a year or two, he can be a successful pro.
I don’t think a team like the NOS would take somebody like montez. Coaching can’t fix what ails him.

So many bad habits so deeply engrained. Knows he needs to do it a different way, but just can’t.

If we lose Saturday, I'd either a) sit him altogether or b) give Stenstrom and Lytle a couple series each (assuming Lytle is healthy enough to play) in that game. I get that its Senior Day, but you've got to find a happy medium between honoring the seniors and ensuring you're doing what's best for the future of the program. One of my biggest questions for this team going into 2020 is the QB situation. If I had to bet, I'd say we're starting either Lewis or a grad transfer against CSU next year, but I'd argue we're not doing right by Stenstrom and Lytle to give them a chance to operate this offense this year and get stuff on tape for the coaches going into the spring if we lose to Stanford.

That doesn't mean we as fans have to agree with his decisions.

This is a dumb take-he's a 6'5", 230 pound QB with a pretty good arm. He's going to get drafted, and its going to probably be way earlier than a lot of you think. Should Denver be the team to do it? No-too many other holes on this roster to take a flyer on another khaki pants QB. The teams I cited in the previous post are perfect spots for him-He wouldn't need to play immediately in any of those situations, and he'd have great QBs to watch and learn from in all three. The Chargers and Saints in particular need to start thinking about life after Rivers and Brees respectively, so I'd expect both to take QBs at some point in April. I think you always take at least take a flyer on a QB in the draft-even if you don't need them. New England has used backups they've developed to gain additional draft capital (Jimmy G) and fill other holes on their roster (Brissett).
Tucker is doing what is best for the team, not the fans. I support that approach and this decision

Last edited:
Back