What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez’s 2018 Season - Thoughts?

That is not going to be the offense. Flip the ratio to 60/40 pass to run, mostly one back sets, TEs mostly lined up in the slot, and that is really the offense to expect in 2018.
Thanks I meant 60/40 pass/run. I didn't pick anything up in the Spring 'game' to allude to that split, it's a gut feeling based on Chiv.

There isn't a QB in the P12 with the talent to throw to at WR that CU has on the roster currently...Kelly can only wish.
Deliver the ball and manage the game - don't lose it that's all SM has to do, Browning did the same thing last year and was very ordinary.

Last edited:
It all boils down to his ability to make his progressions effectively. He has the tools, but last year it seemed like he struggled getting to his second option most of the time. If Roper can help him out there, then I think we'll see marked improvement from him this year.

Im not a huge fan of steve montez, but getting drilled in the ribs if you hold the ball for longer than 2 seconds will get a qb in the habit if running for his life if option one isnt wide open. Hopefully the o line can give sm 3 seconds to throw.

I think hyperbole is worse than Hitler!!!!
I would've believed more from a Buff but then it is 18, you realize in 94 we would've never drawn the same comparison...Hitler's popularity and Kordell's ability to throw 65 yards.
I may be completely missing your point...just how I'm reading it.
The Auschwitz reference subsequent is just awful.

I guess many CU are not as high on the QB "depth" as it would seem from many other threads. We are going to follow up 3.5 years of Sefo starting with 3 years of Montez starting... and that somehow equates to awesome depth.

There isn't a QB in the P12 with the talent to throw to at WR that CU has on the roster currently...Kelly can only wish.
Deliver the ball and manage the game - don't lose it that's all SM has to do, Browning did the same thing last year and was very ordinary.
CU and Washington talent level are not the same at this current time. CU needs Montez to make plays as they are still middle to lower half in the conference in talent level.

I would've believed more from a Buff but then it is 18, you realize in 94 we would've never drawn the same comparison...Hitler's popularity and Kordell's ability to throw 65 yards.
I may be completely missing your point...just how I'm reading it.
The Auschwitz reference subsequent is just awful.
It was a joke...not a very good one apparently.

CU and Washington talent level are not the same at this current time. CU needs Montez to make plays as they are still middle to lower half in the conference in talent level.
Great point. SM IMO is doing okay but in order to win we need him to play at a high level...not sure he’s capable of that. We shall see.

Simple take here:

Montez is an extremely gifted athlete, we can all agree on that!!!

High School was not that beneficial to him because he could run around and chuck the ball wherever he wanted and it worked

His redshirt year was used to get him to slightly understand college level ball, but he had a bad QB coach and he was immature and we all wish that the fraternity stuff was not as big a deal to him, because the team is his fraternity

His redshirt Freshman year, he was out playing in his natural state and when he was freestyling he was awesome at times and reckless at others.

Last year, he was maturing and was trying really hard to adapt to the responsibility of being the guy. He was immature at times, but less than in the past, and he threw for decent yardage and TD:INT ratio was respectable. He still had a poor QB coach, and bad play calling, and a group of Senior Receivers that let him down.

So, this year none of us can be sure what to expect, but I am optimistic and excited about what CAN happen if all goes well. Way better QB coaching! Hopefully better Play Calling that will focus on his strengths. Better receivers who are hungry to succeed, not ones that think they have made it big and can Cadillac a lot of the time and drop the ball. The variables that will mean everything to him are: DECISIONS, ACCURACY, OFFENSIVE LINE PLAY

If things go well, we will have a special year, if he struggles and cannot figure it out, then maybe there is a better option, but I feel this is a really important year to MAC and the team, so Montez is pretty safe and would have a long leash this year to help us all enjoy what I hope is 8-9 wins!!!

Simple take here:

Montez is an extremely gifted athlete, we can all agree on that!!!

High School was not that beneficial to him because he could run around and chuck the ball wherever he wanted and it worked

His redshirt year was used to get him to slightly understand college level ball, but he had a bad QB coach and he was immature and we all wish that the fraternity stuff was not as big a deal to him, because the team is his fraternity

His redshirt Freshman year, he was out playing in his natural state and when he was freestyling he was awesome at times and reckless at others.

Last year, he was maturing and was trying really hard to adapt to the responsibility of being the guy. He was immature at times, but less than in the past, and he threw for decent yardage and TD:INT ratio was respectable. He still had a poor QB coach, and bad play calling, and a group of Senior Receivers that let him down.

So, this year none of us can be sure what to expect, but I am optimistic and excited about what CAN happen if all goes well. Way better QB coaching! Hopefully better Play Calling that will focus on his strengths. Better receivers who are hungry to succeed, not ones that think they have made it big and can Cadillac a lot of the time and drop the ball. The variables that will mean everything to him are: DECISIONS, ACCURACY, OFFENSIVE LINE PLAY

If things go well, we will have a special year, if he struggles and cannot figure it out, then maybe there is a better option, but I feel this is a really important year to MAC and the team, so Montez is pretty safe and would have a long leash this year to help us all enjoy what I hope is 8-9 wins!!!

Agree with all of this plus add one other variable.

Leadership from other teammates.

Last year it seemed that outside of PL we didn't have much leadership from the other players on offense. Our sixth year senior OL captain got suspended and our senior WRs spent the year bickering.

QBs are expected to show a degree of leadership and Montez wasn't as strong there as we needed but he also didn't have a lot of the help you would hope to provide a guy who is in his first year as a starter.

Also we might finally have some pass catching TEs to throw to...that could make a difference for Montez.

When does a QB shed the "young" label?

Actually a very good question but one that has a different answer depending on the player.

Some QBs are recruited based on their maturity, it may be reasonable to expect them to demonstrate leadership and poise as RS-Freshmen. Others are recruited for their physical abilities but knowing that they are not mature or developed, they may get a little longer.

Montez fits the second type. I still expect to see youthful mistakes from him this season although significantly fewer than last season. I expect some of the QBs in the pipeline after Montez to show that maturity earlier in their careers.

I also expect that if Montez doesn't show the growth that he will be passed on the depth chart by one of those behind him.

When does a QB shed the "young" label?
I don’t think that “young” is the right word.

By mid season last year, I’d say that Montez was no longer inexperienced.

I consider him a very experienced college QB at this point.

What I don’t know is whether he is still immature. Maturity happens at any age. Sefo was mature as a HS recruit and never needed to develop that here, just grow what he had to become more vocal and engaging. Montez is the polar opposite. Immature, vocal, cocky, etc. He has to gain the maturity where he is the hardest worker and most reliable teammate so all that other stuff he has in spades can shine. It didn’t happen last year. It needs to happen this year.

I don’t think that “young” is the right word.

By mid season last year, I’d say that Montez was no longer inexperienced.

I consider him a very experienced college QB at this point.

What I don’t know is whether he is still immature. Maturity happens at any age. Sefo was mature as a HS recruit and never needed to develop that here, just grow what he had to become more vocal and engaging. Montez is the polar opposite. Immature, vocal, cocky, etc. He has to gain the maturity where he is the hardest worker and most reliable teammate so all that other stuff he has in spades can shine. It didn’t happen last year. It needs to happen this year.

I think that Maturity comes in two ways. First is self realization, which if he would look at what is happening with the NFL QB situation, he has potentially an incredibly bright future and if he can personally, and even his fraternity friends who are also getting older can realize what is possible, he can really turn the corner. And second, mentoring and role modeling from a person you respect. I hope I am right in my hope that Roper will be something special and if it comes together it could be something special. Sefo was special in the maturity and leadership side, but was so damn inaccurate and just did not know how to properly throw a football.

I do not believe that the depth chart is actually that close, despite the fact that I think that we are absolutely LOADED at QB for years to come. We have older receivers, some mature leaders on defense, and a coach that needs to get his sh*t together. MM is counting on SM to take this group back to some success, and I think he will have more patience and will lean on Roper to make the recommendation on any type of changes. I am not blind to the need for Montez to improve, but he is a really important part of our chances for success, especially in Stinkin Lincoln.

Back