What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez’s 2018 Season - Thoughts?

Montez is way ahead of where Sefo was at this point in his career.

Montez's Sophomore Year numbers
upload_2018-7-9_10-18-28.png

Sefo's Sophomore Year numbers (2014)
upload_2018-7-9_10-19-19.png

I would be very comfortable saying the 2017 offense had better overall talent than the 2014 offense.

Montez has more athletic talent, and less understanding of the offense and how to make it run along with being a leader when compared to Sefo at the end of his sophomore year.

View attachment 26062

View attachment 26063

I would be very comfortable saying the 2017 offense had better overall talent than the 2014 offense.

Montez has more athletic talent, and less understanding of the offense and how to make it run along with being a leader when compared to Sefo at the end of his sophomore year.
Sefo also had 121 more pass attempts. Montez has a better rating, TD-INT ratio and yards per attempt. The only stat that Sefo was better at was completion percentage.

Montez is way ahead of where Sefo was at this point in his career.
View attachment 26062

View attachment 26063

Mentally Montez still has to prove he has the fire and the leadership that Sefo had.

Montez already does some things physically that Sefo couldn't do. Montez also is better at improvising on the run and is a more dangerous runner.

Sefo never did get passing into the short middle zones. Montez has a stronger arm but Sefo had better touch and accuracy on the deep ball (when he actually had time to throw one without somebody hanging on him.)

I see a lot more potential in Montez than Sefo ever had but potential means you haven't done it yet.

Montez has NFL physical tools but I would hold off on declaring him draft ready. He has a huge amount to learn about QBing before he can think about looking at pro defenses.

What would make a huge difference for Montez this season is a hopefully improved OL that gives him better protection and can consistently provide yardage for the running game.

Lindsay was a great back for us last year but he did lots of that on his own. We had too many 1st down runs that left us in 2nd and long because the blocking wasn't there.

If Montez has better stats than last season, it will be with new starters at RB, all WR, and TE. Can't hurt his NFL stock.

Probably, but Montez has the physical tools that NFL teams covet so much (Think Josh Allen whose team went 8-5 last year), so even a mediocre season from him could place him squarely in the draftable conversation.
True, but unless he plays great I still imagine he’d return for senior year.

Sefo also had 121 more pass attempts. Montez has a better rating, TD-INT ratio and yards per attempt. The only stat that Sefo was better at was completion percentage.
I agree with all of that.

I was responding to "Montez is way ahead of Sefo at this point in his career".

I disagree - especially when including a comparison of the talent in 2014 vs 2017.

He had a good enough year to win 7 games...the D was the weak link last year and cost us games. Improved D and QB play will go a long way to a successful season.

I agree with all of that.

I was responding to "Montez is way ahead of Sefo at this point in his career".

I disagree - especially when including a comparison of the talent in 2014 vs 2017.
For sure. Montez is ahead, but it's a lot closer than people think. And Sefo was by far a superior leader too. Can't take that for granted.

For sure. Montez is ahead, but it's a lot closer than people think. And Sefo was by far a superior leader too. Can't take that for granted.

I think it's pretty close as well. Sefo got a lot more playing time as a Freshman than Montez.

im hoping montez got a real high dose of humility last year and is in shape and has his head screwed on tight to start the year

Montez had exactly the problems I thought he would last year. He struggled to be consistent and he struggled to read defenses. Both of those things are signs that he was struggling with the consistent level of effort and preparation required to be a D1 starting QB. We saw this two years ago when he was ill prepared to come in as a back up (Very obviously didn't put in the time required), but the weeks he started he looked really good (Indicative of someone who is crazy excited to start and put in lots of extra time). Obviously, it is more difficult to put in the extra time and effort when starting on an every down basis, so it isn't shocking that he struggled last year. Montez appeared to be struggling with what so many college kids struggle with, time and effort management.

Thus, even before any coaching changes, I would expect Montez to be better than last year. Add the coaching change and I can see Montez making a very large jump. Now it is possible that we find out that Montez just isn't good at reading a defense, but I don't believe that is the case. In fact I expect something along these stat lines:

64-67% completions
3700-4000 yards
3 or 4 to 1 TD to interception ratio
9-10 yards per attempt
350-450 rushing yards

If the offensive line is as bad as last year, then I expect Montez to be at the bottom of these numbers, if it is good, then maybe Montez does even more.

He had a good enough year to win 7 games...the D was the weak link last year and cost us games. Improved D and QB play will go a long way to a successful season.

The ucla game was on the offense, that pick 6 he threw before half of the usc gane was a killer too. This offense was supposed to carry the team while the defense found its way. Both sides failed.

The ucla game was on the offense, that pick 6 he threw before half of the usc gane was a killer too. This offense was supposed to carry the team while the defense found its way. Both sides failed.
OMG what aboutism in football now? Both sides do it? Cmon man.

Just kidding

View attachment 26062

View attachment 26063

Montez has a ton of athletic and raw physical talent, but he is not even in the same ZIP Code as a leader as Sefo was. In fact, it would be an interesting thread to see what you guys think who the best leader was at quarterback that CU has had.

Last edited:
Every time I hear about Montez and his “physical tools”, “eye test”, whatever, all I can picture is Moneyball.

This was in the Omaha World Herald as a preview of the Nubs opposing QB's:
https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_b5ae8b69-e67d-5541-8497-9e2c37fedd00.html
McKewon: Breakdown of quarterbacks Huskers will face provides glimpse of challenges ahead

Here is a breakdown of the quarterbacks Nebraska is likely to face in 2018 or the situations still too murky to determine with certainty.
Top shelf

Steven Montez, Colorado: Big-play passer. Montez averaged 7.9 yards per attempt last season, which is impressive for a relatively high-volume passer at 31.4 passes per game. He struggled away from Folsom Field, completing 54.4 percent of his passes in six games. The 6-foot-5, 230-pound junior is a big, bruising runner, not fast but effective. He has rushed for 569 yards over two seasons, and that includes all the sacks he has taken; CU gave up 39 last season alone.

There seems to be a level of respect about Montez this year and he is being expected to function in the top 40% of PAC 12 and overall in the country. I really hope he makes a push to be a Top Shelf guy!!!

I honestly think with the WR talent and offense we should be running, he needs to be in the 28-30 TD range. 18 just won't cut it, especially if the OL can't muster up and punch it in on the goal line. 2-1 TD / INT ratio is still way too high as well.

I honestly think with the WR talent and offense we should be running, he needs to be in the 28-30 TD range. 18 just won't cut it, especially if the OL can't muster up and punch it in on the goal line. 2-1 TD / INT ratio is still way too high as well.

Unless our DL is better than I expect it to be we are going to need that many TDs out of him to win games anyways. We are going to have to outscore some people.

Agree. He's going to be throwing about 35 times a game. My guess is it's going to be at least a 60/40 pass to run ratio, so if he and the offence are going to be effective, he needs to be in the 25-30 TD range, which based on 2017, would have him ranked between 12th-31st in the country.

Back