What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez’s 2018 Season - Thoughts?

How good he is at actually judging talent I won't say but Peyton tends to invite college guys who he sees as future NFL QBs to this camp. Montez being there means that somebody in the Manning organization sees a future for him.

I don't see Montez ever becoming one of those guys who lives in the film room putting every moment into every detail like Peyton is but hopefully he will see this as a motivator to focus his efforts in preparation more effectively.

Thibodaux, LA! That’s 45 minutes northwest of Doc Mills South’s and his pretty wife Hannah’s home. They raised up a son who could eat up his weight in groceries. They named him Amos Moses. Doc used Amos for alligator bait. He’d tie a rope around his neck and throw him in the swamp. That’s why Amos was a mean son-if-a-bitch.

From what the eye can see, Montez has all the physical tools that Josh Allen has. Not quite as strong of an arm, but very comparable and just as mobile. My questions on Montez are if he's mentally there yet.

We will see what this guy can do in year 1....and our OL

View attachment 25963
Regarding OL, I think that having Jack Harris as a GA this year will help the group quite a bit. He was an OL captain here not too long ago. Did a year as a coach at Western State, a year as a GA at Central Michigan and is now doing a GA year at CU. Strong leader who is at an age to be very relatable for the players.

Regarding OL, I think that having Jack Harris as a GA this year will help the group quite a bit. He was an OL captain here not too long ago. Did a year as a coach at Western State, a year as a GA at Central Michigan and is now doing a GA year at CU. Strong leader who is at an age to be very relatable for the players.
Always liked Jack. Competed his butt off on some bad teams.

Since we are swerving from OP... Can't wait to see Winfree... probably want to see him more than Montez, though obviously their performances go hand in hand. Winfree's our Awuzie of 2016, "There's a storm coming." I hope Winfree is in Montez's face, "Just feed me the damn ball," if that's what it comes down to.
I see our WR's being the biggest leaders on the offensive field this year. So many of their long-term goals ride on their performance this season. And I think Winfree has more and better 'holy **** crazy' catches than Bobo by far by the end of this season.
Just hope someone on the team this year has more than a chip on their shoulder, need someone with a face set like flint on surprising the **** out of the nation this year.
Goddammit, cant wait. Gotta have it!

Some quotes from Montez about how the emphasis of the camp was on mental approach and leadership for a QB. Fingers crossed.

Also in the article was a bit at the end about how neither Antwine or Finau look like true freshman DLs. Singled out as guys who definitely pass the eye test, which I'm sure no one minds hearing.

Some quotes from Montez about how the emphasis of the camp was on mental approach and leadership for a QB. Fingers crossed.

Also in the article was a bit at the end about how neither Antwine or Finau look like true freshman DLs. Singled out as guys who definitely pass the eye test, which I'm sure no one minds hearing.

I think we all expected Antwine, but Finau being a guy pushing for the 2 deep would be a big and welcome surprise. Would mean we all of the sudden have some depth.

Looking at the list's order it isn't too difficult to find some flaw in each above SM and I could make an argument for SM @ #4. Consider: In 16 it seemed that Fields, Bobo & Ross caught just about everything thrown to them with few drops and that didn't happen in 17, this alone cost SM 4 sure TDs and several hundred yards and 2 wins (ASU & UCLA). I attribute the drop off or loss of focus by the 3 in large part to who they were practicing against. In 16 they were going against 3 NFL draftees not so in 17. Another issue in 17 was our OC didn't make any real changes to the plays called from 16, all of the WRs were getting jammed and weren't getting the separation they got in 16.
18 is promising with different WRs that are physically bigger, different OC means different plays and play calling philosophy and add Roper to the mix.
To me it's the most interesting situation to see develop this next season.
So before I get basted I'm not trying to make it sound like SM is perfect he has his flaws, just trying to point out that Athlon probably didn't take into account some of the issues from last season.
I agre 100% with this. But let's not forget our defense, that of which typically could not tackle a stationary tackling dummy. In most games we put up enough points to win. The defense just allowed the other team to put more points, which typically works out better for the other team.

I am of the opinion that the Sophomore Slump is a real thing....yet it doesn't always apply. I am curious to see if last year was a sophomore slump for SM, or if it was a window into the type of player he really is. If the former holds true, then we should expect to see some great things from our QB this year. If the latter is in fact true, I would expect that we might see some of the younger QB's playing a lot more by mid season. We find out in 4 months
As am I. And hopefully so is Khalil Tate.

Gotta savor this season with Montez because I just have the feeling that he will be in Boulder only this season and then be off to the NFL. If he can take care of the mental aspect of the game and preparation and lead the Buffs to a bowl game, I would be surprised if he comes back for the 2019 season.

I can’t wait to see this offense...SM has a real QB coach, better receivers and a new play caller. Could be really special!!!

Gotta savor this season with Montez because I just have the feeling that he will be in Boulder only this season and then be off to the NFL. If he can take care of the mental aspect of the game and preparation and lead the Buffs to a bowl game, I would be surprised if he comes back for the 2019 season.
If that’s the case it would mean the Buffs have a phenomenal season. I hope that’s true

I gotta see that from Montez before I'll believe it. Yes he has a lot of physical ability and shows flashes of making plays very few guys can. That's great but there is more to it than that. I'm hoping the things he was lacking have improved with the new qb coach. Also, hope he uses what he learned from Manning's event. That dude is probably the most cerebral qb to ever play the game.

If that’s the case it would mean the Buffs have a phenomenal season. I hope that’s true
Probably, but Montez has the physical tools that NFL teams covet so much (Think Josh Allen whose team went 8-5 last year), so even a mediocre season from him could place him squarely in the draftable conversation.

Back