What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nate Landman appreciation thread

I don’t know. Jake Butt got drafted by the Broncos in the 4th after ACL tear in a NY6 bowl game, but he was going to be a 1st rounder.

Landman was probably a day two pick at best, so likely slides into later rounds or out. Tough decision.
I think Landman can still be a 4th - 6th rounder. Playing again for free in a small sliver of a partial season seems like a bad decision, especially if he can go to the NFL, be on PUP, and then come back in 2022.

I think Landman can still be a 4th - 6th rounder. Playing again for free in a small sliver of a partial season seems like a bad decision, especially if he can go to the NFL, be on PUP, and then come back in 2022.

Just want to reiterate that my thinking is that a) he wouldn't be playing at all in 2021 and b) he's not going to get drafted.

Obviously, if he gets feedback that he's going to get drafted, it's a no brainer.

Just want to reiterate that my thinking is that a) he wouldn't be playing at all in 2021 and b) he's not going to get drafted.

Obviously, if he gets feedback that he's going to get drafted, it's a no brainer.
I think he was realistically a 2nd or 3rd rounder assuming no injury. 4-6th rounder IMO is also realistic, especially when teams put on his film. Their risk is very low.

I think someone would take a shot on him. It's not like teams don't know who he is. Tough injury and I wish him the best.

What’s an Achilles rehab timeline look like?
Well, it's been awhile since Paris shot that arrow and he's still not back...

rimshot GIF

What’s an Achilles rehab timeline look like?

It’s like an ACL, so 6-12 months.

According to this abstract, average time for an NFL Level player is 9 months. 26% never return to football.

I would put it like this. 6 months to be able to function normally day to day. 9-12 months to technically be able to be full go. 12+ months to be 100% if your body allows you to get back to that point.

This thought process is why I pointed out that Nate might consider getting a medical hardship next year and play one more year in 2022. If manhattan is correct, and he is drafted in the 4-6 rounds, he should go and do rehab in the NFL. If he ends up looking to be an UDFA (I think he might end up there purely because of questions about his speed prior to him suffering this achilles rupture), then one could argue that he should come back here and prove he is healthy/recovered before going to the NFL. NFL teams are less likely to invest the time Nate will likely need (Recovery/rehab wise) to fast enough on the field to overcome his deficiency in speed. I will be very interested to see how this shakes out.

I would put it like this. 6 months to be able to function normally day to day. 9-12 months to technically be able to be full go. 12+ months to be 100% if your body allows you to get back to that point.

This thought process is why I pointed out that Nate might consider getting a medical hardship next year and play one more year in 2022. If manhattan is correct, and he is drafted in the 4-6 rounds, he should go and do rehab in the NFL. If he ends up looking to be an UDFA (I think he might end up there purely because of questions about his speed prior to him suffering this achilles rupture), then one could argue that he should come back here and prove he is healthy/recovered before going to the NFL. NFL teams are less likely to invest the time Nate will likely need (Recovery/rehab wise) to fast enough on the field to overcome his deficiency in speed. I will be very interested to see how this shakes out.
I don’t see him as UDFA given the quality of his film, unless there’s a complication with his rehab. Given his youth and relative health, I think recovery is more likely. I don’t see much upside to him coming back, especially if he gets hurt in some other way.

I don’t see him as UDFA given the quality of his film, unless there’s a complication with his rehab. Given his youth and relative health, I think recovery is more likely. I don’t see much upside to him coming back, especially if he gets hurt in some other way.
I think its a super tough call. Dude is a baller. But there is plenty of film of over the years being exposed in space too. I could have seen a lot of squads having thought that Nate had borderline speed that will be exposed by elite athletes in todays NFL, but taking a chance on him to be a strong 1st & 2nd down LB that plays on all the special teams (note the amount of ST Landman has played this season. That was by design, to get it on film for the NFL). Recovery from an achilles is just so unpredictable that I see it being a big question mark for the league. I really wouldn't be surprised by either result in the draft.

No matter what happens, I hope that it ends up woking out for Landman. Warrior!

I think its a super tough call. Dude is a baller. But there is plenty of film of over the years being exposed in space too. I could have seen a lot of squads having thought that Nate had borderline speed that will be exposed by elite athletes in todays NFL, but taking a chance on him to be a strong 1st & 2nd down LB that plays on all the special teams (note the amount of ST Landman has played this season. That was by design, to get it on film for the NFL). Recovery from an achilles is just so unpredictable that I see it being a big question mark for the league. I really wouldn't be surprised by either result in the draft.

No matter what happens, I hope that it ends up woking out for Landman. Warrior!
He’s not a three down linebacker. In a scheme that relies on insider linebackers to tackle within a 10 yard radius, he’s a nice fit.

Guys with an Achilles can be back the next season but as Manhattan points out a lot of them never do make it back.

It also seems, and this is completely unscientific just my impression, that when guys do come back it takes them another year to really come back and play like they did before.

Don't know if this is because the injury is so devastating that it takes that long to really heal or if it is psychological or if that much time inactive drops the physical level and it takes that long to get it back.

I could see an NFL team willing to take a chance on Nate from watching his film but it is going to be a long process and I would expect him to spend a full season on the PUP list or the practice squad trying to get back to who he was.

I hope we have all learned a hard lesson on “appreciation” threads at this point.

Think about how these have ended-

“Taking a Moment to Appreciate Bowl Eligibility”
“Laviska Shenault is a Bad Man”
“Nate Landman Appreciation Thread”
“Here’s to Being Undefeated in December”

You should know how Buff karma works by this point!

I hope we have all learned a hard lesson on “appreciation” threads at this point.

Think about how these have ended-

“Taking a Moment to Appreciate Bowl Eligibility”
“Laviska Shenault is a Bad Man”
“Nate Landman Appreciation Thread”
“Here’s to Being Undefeated in December”

You should know how Buff karma works by this point!
Are you saying we can’t have nice things?

And, Shenault is still a bad bad bad man.

Are you saying we can’t have nice things?

And, Shenault is still a bad bad bad man.
Pretty much.

Yes, of course Viska is still the man. But I believe it was shortly after that thread that he became hobbled for the rest of the year. Basically eliminating us from bowl contention.

Guys with an Achilles can be back the next season but as Manhattan points out a lot of them never do make it back.

It also seems, and this is completely unscientific just my impression, that when guys do come back it takes them another year to really come back and play like they did before.

Don't know if this is because the injury is so devastating that it takes that long to really heal or if it is psychological or if that much time inactive drops the physical level and it takes that long to get it back.

I could see an NFL team willing to take a chance on Nate from watching his film but it is going to be a long process and I would expect him to spend a full season on the PUP list or the practice squad trying to get back to who he was.

I had Achilles reconstruction and it is tough. The prognosis/time table is pretty unscientific. One of main problems with Achilles injuries is the lack of blood-flow into the soft-tissues around the tendon and also into the ankle/foot, which varies substantially patient to patient. Some is just genetics. You are pretty much laid up for 6-8 months (splint, then cart and eventually walking boot). With being laid out--the muscles and soft tissues around it atrophy, and are tough to build back. Probably, somewhere around 18-24/month post-injury w/ rehab is where most reach maximum healing, and this is to whatever 100% level they will heal.

I wish Nate the very best and send sympathies. It stinks, but he is strong and driven, and if someone could come back, it would be someone like him. I would think he would turn pro and take whatever option is the best for him. I suppose it is also an option to stay and be under the supervision of the CU medical staff.

As impacful a defensive player as I've ever seen in a Buff uniform.

I'd add to that one of the most improved/developed player in a Buff uniform and the most instinictive. The steps he took over the past year in adjusting to this new defense were just amazing and very fun to watch.

Back