What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nate Landman appreciation thread

Achilles tendon injury I hear is tricky, it has nothing to do with been tough. Just have to let it heal and go through the rehab process. Athletes have come back sooner than 12 months. Should be back in September, that is like 10 months from his injury.

I think it is a smart decision. I am sure he had a few NFL scouts tell him that prior to the injury he was a 3rd to 4th round grade, but the injury would make many teams pass and no one is going to sign an UDFA that is unable to pass a physical. By staying 1 more year, he can fully rehab, work on a masters, and add more film. Perhaps raise his grade to solid 3rd.

The silver lining is that his game isn't dependent on being super quick and explosive. Even if he's not 100% he should still be a major impact player who will work his draft stock back into position.

The silver lining is that his game isn't dependent on being super quick and explosive. Even if he's not 100% he should still be a major impact player who will work his draft stock back into position.
Landman isn't fast, but I would say the work he does in the front seven very much relies on being quick and explosive. I have concerns as to what he will look like if he rushes back.

Exactly. Not basketball or even RB/WR. He will just need to build up strength in leg after recovery. I don’t think his timetable is that rushed.

Landman isn't fast, but I would say the work he does in the front seven very much relies on being quick and explosive. I have concerns as to what he will look like if he rushes back.
Well, every position on the field needs to be quick and explosive in its own right. It's all relative, though. This is a more devastating injury to a WR or RB and the timeframe for those positions being back to normal effectiveness on the field is longer than an ILB whose game is playing in the box.

Most studies suggest 6-8 months for return to sport from this injury. He has 8 months until opening kickoff.

Well, every position on the field needs to be quick and explosive in its own right. It's all relative, though. This is a more devastating injury to a WR or RB and the timeframe for those positions being back to normal effectiveness on the field is longer than an ILB whose game is playing in the box.

Most studies suggest 6-8 months for return to sport from this injury. He has 8 months until opening kickoff.
Post the links to the studies that say high level football players recover from achilles tears in 6-8 months, please.

Awesome that he could be playing next season but didn't Kevin Durant just miss a full NBA season due to a similar injury? Not going to get my hopes up that he is 100% in September.

Basketball is different from Football in the range of motion needed. But KD could have come back sooner, he decided to take the year off.

My point is that all defenders find success by being the fastest to get from Point A to Point B. Some use pure speed to cover a wide range, but Landman has shown time and again that he is explosive as hell inside of 10-15 yards. He is consistently the first or second person to arrive (violently) at a ball carrier. That isn't all due to effort and anticipation. An achilles injury hinders the explosiveness of your first step...it will take time for him to get that back, and it could make a big difference in his performance.

My point is that all defenders find success by being the fastest to get from Point A to Point B. Some use pure speed to cover a wide range, but Landman has shown time and again that he is explosive as all hell inside of 10-15 yards. He is consistently the first or second person to arrive (violently) at a ball carrier. That isn't all due to effort and anticipation. An achilles injury hinders the explosiveness of your first step...it will take time for him to get that back, and it could make a big difference in his performance.
I agree, and I'm not expecting him to be 100% of what he was. He may never be 100% of what he was, but his position provides him a better chance of coming back and playing at a relatively high level sooner than say Brendan Rice or Jarek Broussard had they sustained the same injury.

Not for me. He was ready to begin his NFL career which he now has to put on hold.
NFL was already concerned about speed, downhill style and multiple down capabilities.

Coming out now would be a bad, bad move.

Extra year may/may not help him, but it’s the best (only) path given current circumstances.

Huh? They all seem pretty consistent that 6-9 months is pretty standard return to sport.
These say 8 at absolute best. More likely 9-10. Some cases can be 11-12.
From the first...
There was no relationship between return to sport and year of study publication. RTS was evaluated between 5 and 142 months post injury and there was no relationship between time of assessment and return to play – this indicates that even at short follow up times like 5 months, most people would have RTS if they were going to. This is consistent with a mean time to return to sport of 6 months +/- 1.8 months (this was based on a smaller subset of 37 studies).
The Second...
PHASE VI: EARLY to UNRESTRICTED RETURN TO SPORT (6+ MONTHS AFTER SURGERY)
The Third...
Return to Activity Phase (~22-32 weeks) * Patient may not still be in Rehab at this point on a regular basis
The Fourth... (suggests 5.5 months at the earliest to 9 months at average)

1609951218116.png

First one is just “sport” as in recreational folks getting back to an active lifestyle. Did not study athletes in contact sports.

Second one is “sport” same as first. Only for recreational athletes. It does not factor athletes in contact sports.

Third. Same as above.

Fourth is the best study. 7 to NFL is the fastest. Offers warning about pace of return being a factor. Yes, he CAN potentially return quickly. That’s the earliest - it’s not an average.

First one is just “sport” as in recreational folks getting back to an active lifestyle. Did not study athletes in contact sports.

Second one is “sport” same as first. Only for recreational athletes. It does not factor athletes in contact sports.

Third. Same as above.

Fourth is the best study. 7 to NFL is the fastest. Offers warning about pace of return being a factor. Yes, he CAN potentially return quickly. That’s the earliest - it’s not an average.
The first three were also studies on 40+ year old men/women. A 21 year old should hopefully recover at a quicker rate for recreational activities but on a similar rate or possible extended timeline for more rigorous contact sports.

I've looked around some more and there are differing timelines relating to NFL players. One said 6-11 months. Another said average of 11 months.

Regardless, it's all going to come down to how he responds to surgery and rehab. It's likely that he's not going to be 100% of what he was by September, but I think there is a more than 50/50 chance he is cleared to play by opening kickoff. That might mean he needs an extra month to get back into game shape, but I don't think he comes back if the doctors gave him a RTS timeline of December 2021.

The first three were also studies on 40+ year old men/women. A 21 year old should hopefully recover at a quicker rate for recreational activities but on a similar rate or possible extended timeline for more rigorous contact sports.

I've looked around some more and there are differing timelines relating to NFL players. One said 6-11 months. Another said average of 11 months.

Regardless, it's all going to come down to how he responds to surgery and rehab. It's likely that he's not going to be 100% of what he was by September, but I think there is a more than 50/50 chance he is cleared to play by opening kickoff. That might mean he needs an extra month to get back into game shape, but I don't think he comes back if the doctors gave him a RTS timeline of December 2021.
I agree that December is unlikely, but I doubt you see him back any earlier than October. If he comes back sooner, injury recurrence is super high.

I have to think he had less than encouraging news from NFL scouts. As we discussed when it happened, rehabbing on the NFL's dime was the best possible option, with rehabbing on CU's dime being the second.

I have to think he had less than encouraging news from NFL scouts. As we discussed when it happened, rehabbing on the NFL's dime was the best possible option, with rehabbing on CU's dime being the second.
To rehab on the NFL's dime he needed an NFL team to draft him. Doubt he would have been brought in as an UDFA to rehab for an entire year.

Back