What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA & NIT Auto-Bids - Bubble Buster Thread

Middle Tennessee lost to Southern Miss, so they're probably headed to the NIT

Lunardi has them in Dayton as of right now.......which probably means they're NIT bound. That loss might put UCLA in solidly.
UCLA is a stone cold lock for the Dance. There is no chance that a #35 RPI team from a Power 6 conference will be left out. It's actually pretty ridiculous that it is even a topic of conversation. Talking heads trying to gain attention by speculating about UCLA and getting a pass because they're self-proclaimed experts.

Middle Tenn. should be in. Top 30 RPI, and they have legit talent.
Except that last season the same thing happened to Illinois State last year. #33 RPI on Selection Sunday with a 27-6 record after tying Wichita State for the MVC regular season title. I don't think they had a Top 50 win other than beating the Shockers once.

Say all you want about resumes, yadda yadda. Sometimes you just need to put teams in that are just good and win games. Middle Tenn. has talent. More than a lot of P5 teams that will make the dance.

Say all you want about resumes, yadda yadda. Sometimes you just need to put teams in that are just good and win games. Middle Tenn. has talent. More than a lot of P5 teams that will make the dance.
I would rather see them in the Dance than some power conference team that had a mediocre year.

If your three best wins are Murray State, Western Kentucky, and Old Dominion.......enjoy the NIT. They arent an option for an at large.

Gus Johnson is great. I wish he still worked for CBS just for the NCAA tournament.

Our friends in Greeley are up 3 on Big Sky regular season champ Montana early 2nd half.......and Nevada is getting embarrassed by San Diego State. What do you do with the Wolfpack?

Last edited:
Was just about to say what a big loss for a Duke team that doesn't go very deep, with Duval going out in the first few minutes of this game with what appeared to be an ankle injury. But just like that he's back in the game, good to see it wasn't serious.

Our friends in Greeley are up 3 on Big Sky regular season champ Montana early 2nd half.......and Nevada is getting embarrassed by San Diego State. What do you do with the Wolfpack?
That's what I was wondering. Do they still get an at-large? They're best win is a pretty good Rhode Island team and their worst loss is San Francisco, with a couple of close losses to Texas Tech and TCU. I think that they still end up getting in.

That's what I was wondering. Do they still get an at-large? They're best win is a pretty good Rhode Island team and their worst loss is San Francisco, with a couple of close losses to Texas Tech and TCU. I think that they still end up getting in.

Nevada is solidly in

For now, I'd agree......but you get a bid thief (Oregon or Alabama) in a major conference and it might be close......

For now, I'd agree......but you get a bid thief (Oregon or Alabama) in a major conference and it might be close......

Nevada is safely in regardless of any bid stealers. They're currently projected as a 7-seed so no way they drop all the way out with this loss.

Nevada is safely in regardless of any bid stealers. They're currently projected as a 7-seed so no way they drop all the way out with this loss.

You're probably right, and I think their resume is solid........but that was ugly basketball. New Mexico might be the one who jumps up and takes that auto bid-good for them.

UT Arlington beat Louisiana. Will that make the firkin Sun Belt a 2 bid league?

Except that last season the same thing happened to Illinois State last year. #33 RPI on Selection Sunday with a 27-6 record after tying Wichita State for the MVC regular season title. I don't think they had a Top 50 win other than beating the Shockers once.

Illinois St. was missing 3 of their top 6 players to injury last year until after Christmas. Four of their 5 regular season losses came during that time (6th loss to Wichita in conference tourney). That's something the committee allegedly considers. Mostly healthy, they went 17-1 in conference. Getting blown out by wichita in the conference tournament was a death blow. As far as scheduling goes, they have a very tough time scheduling P5 opponents. They did manage road wins at New Mexico & St Josephs, but that won't turn any heads. Coach Muller put a shout on twitter for P5 teams to give them a game after the season, and Andy Kennedy gave them a shot - this year's so-so ISU team won in Oxford, and look what happened to Andy. Just the way things are in mid-major land.

Last edited:
I would rather see them in the Dance than some power conference team that had a mediocre year.

Like Alabama with their 8-10 conference record? Or Vandy last year, 15-14 and sub .500 in conference.

It's infuriating. I'd rather see what 25 win smaller conference teams could do than P5 teams that are known to be sub-mediocre. I think a 32 win Murray St team was left out 5 or 6 years ago.

Edit: I was wrong. Murray's 31-2 team in '11-'12 got to the round of 32. The 26-5 team in '14-'15 was left out.

Last edited:
I think a sub .500 record in conference should just about disqualify you from contention for the tournament.

That would be too general of a rule to have in place because what if a team plays in one of the top 3 or 4 conferences, or what if they've played a great non-conference schedule? Now granted, they would also need to have beaten some of these top teams they played.

Not sure where to post this, but the NIT will be worth checking in on to see these rule changes in place:

Experimental rules to be used at NIT
NCAA.com
Last Updated - Feb 27, 2018

The 2018 NIT will feature four rules modifications:
• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

Back