What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA & NIT Auto-Bids - Bubble Buster Thread

As much as I despise Andy Enfield and am taking joy in his suffering, I’m baffled as to how ASU got in over them. Does the committee actually watch basketball? USC is so superior to ASU right now.

Hate them both, but ASU lost 5 of their last 6. Finished 8-10 in a weak ass conference. #61 RPI. USC was #32.

That's all kinds of ****ed up. Has to have something to do with the investigation.

Totally has to be FBI related. Only explanation that makes sense.
By that theory, UofA should have been held out as well. Listen, both ASU and USC can f*ck off and die, but USC is far better than ASU. That is some messed up stuff right there.

As much as I despise Andy Enfield and am taking joy in his suffering, I’m baffled as to how ASU got in over them. Does the committee actually watch basketball? USC is so superior to ASU right now.
Just because they snubbed usc doesn’t mean asu should get in. They’ve been poor since conference started.

Just looked at the bracket for the first time since I was pissed at the selection show. The South is a bloodbath. Tennessee as the 3 seed might be the 7th best team in that region. Kentucky and Arizona have to play in the second round, and the winner then likely gets Virginia? Those are all elite 8 quality games. Plus Cincinnati is terrific. I’m on the record for as saying I think Virginia will win it all, but that region is insane.

why is asu doing a 'play-in' game for the #11 seed? why isn't it for a #16?

ncaa indoor championship at A&M has hydraulic lifts for the curves. that will effect some records

why is asu doing a 'play-in' game for the #11 seed? why isn't it for a #16?

ncaa indoor championship at A&M has hydraulic lifts for the curves. that will effect some records
This question comes up every year. If only I could remember...think it had to do with leapfrogging the lousy little schools that the tourney is obligated to accept but arent deserving an 11-seed.

This question comes up every year. If only I could remember...think it had to do with leapfrogging the lousy little schools that the tourney is obligated to accept but arent deserving an 11-seed.

Has to do with the lower seeded schools being auto bid schools from smaller conferences.

They end up with the last four auto bid schools playing for two number 16 seeds and the last four at-large schools playing for the last two at-large bids.

I haven't dug deep into the brackets, but it seems like the only explanation for a lot of this is that the committee may have put more of a priority on out of conference performance than in the past; which is stupid because out of conference is basically preseason for bubble quality teams who are figuring it out and drastically changing in quality through the course of a season.

I haven't dug deep into the brackets, but it seems like the only explanation for a lot of this is that the committee may have put more of a priority on out of conference performance than in the past; which is stupid because out of conference is basically preseason for bubble quality teams who are figuring it out and drastically changing in quality through the course of a season.

doesn't explain USC. Would really like to hear why they were left out.

doesn't explain USC. Would really like to hear why they were left out.
I think it would directly explain ASU over USC.

I suppose the USC wins over NM St. and MTSU are washed out by the losses to SMU and Princeton in their non-con.

If non-con matters a ton, I think USC's non-con is rather weak and the committee showed no love to the two best wins on USC's non-conference schedule, seeding NM St with a 12 and leaving MTSU out.

Here's what Jerry Palm has to say about it:

However, this treatment was not limited to non-majors. USC was left out for the same reason. Like Saint Mary's, the Trojans' best win was New Mexico State. They also beat Middle Tennessee. They scheduled Texas A&M and Oklahoma in non-conference play and played five games against tournament teams in conference and lost them all. They also had four non-tournament losses, including Princeton at home. USC now holds the record for the best RPI ranking for a major conference team that missed the tournament at 34.
NCAA Tournament bracket: What did we learn about the selection committee this year?
The selection committee rewarded teams that beat quality opponents and challenged themselves with tough schedules.

It seems really hard to see how Oklahoma State does not get in and Oklahoma does (State beat them twice, and beat Kansas and at West Virginia) ... reminds me of CU in Boyle's first year.

I think it would directly explain ASU over USC.

I suppose the USC wins over NM St. and MTSU are washed out by the losses to SMU and Princeton in their non-con.

If non-con matters a ton, I think USC's non-con is rather weak and the committee showed no love to the two best wins on USC's non-conference schedule, seeding NM St with a 12 and leaving MTSU out.

Here's what Jerry Palm has to say about it:

NCAA Tournament bracket: What did we learn about the selection committee this year?
The selection committee rewarded teams that beat quality opponents and challenged themselves with tough schedules.

I dunno. I mean Palm is right and all as far as USC is concerned(I still think they should be in) but I don't care who ASU beat and how much they 'challenged themselves.' It is an embarrassment that they are in. Finished 9th ina noatably average conference. November and December should matter but lets not tip the scales here.

I dunno. I mean Palm is right and all as far as USC is concerned(I still think they should be in) but I don't care who ASU beat and how much they 'challenged themselves.' It is an embarrassment that they are in. Finished 9th ina noatably average conference. November and December should matter but lets not tip the scales here.
Also, while ASU had a couple huge wins in the non-con its overall non-con schedule was weak. Washington would have been a better pick than ASU.

Back