What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Settlement - Salary Cap & Back Payment of NIL to Former Players

Unless this goes corporate or in some way private equity, I am not sure how it gets funded. You already are getting fatigue from all of the donation requests we see today. There is only so much money normal people/alumni are going to be willing to pony up. I know it will not kill the sport, will change it but that does not mean it is good for the sport. There are a lot of kids that got to go to college using a scholarship who may now not have an opportunity when this shakes out and certain schools and conferences just say no more and drop sports. Going to happen.

Unless this goes corporate or in some way private equity, I am not sure how it gets funded. You already are getting fatigue from all of the donation requests we see today. There is only so much money normal people/alumni are going to be willing to pony up. I know it will not kill the sport, will change it but that does not mean it is good for the sport. There are a lot of kids that got to go to college using a scholarship who may now not have an opportunity when this shakes out and certain schools and conferences just say no more and drop sports. Going to happen.
It gets funded through revenues, not donations, with optional participation by schools.

So if I followed this right schools can pay up to $20 million per year in salaries for all sports combined. That leaves a ton of room for discretion as to how the money will be distributed not just among all the different sports but even within football itself. Will all scholarship football players get a flat salary or will the star players get more? How much more do the star players get, and how do you determine that? Will it be based on playing time, stats, etc?

Alot of details that need to be worked out, and it sounds like these questions like these will be up to the discretion of each individual school.
What about true freshmen? They haven’t done a thing for the school. What about red shirts?

It gets funded through revenues, not donations, with optional participation by schools.
Not the back pay and all of damages they are going to pay to past players. You can see it in Rick's email and they know they are going to be on the hook.,

Also, you may think it comes from revenues, but those smaller schools do not have enough revenue to cover other sports once they have to rev share. Stop with this will be covered by revenue. It will kill programs, many many. Your head is in the sand if you think it will all be covered by revenue across the board. Many will close the programs because there is no revenue to pay players and keep the other non-revenue sports alive. Title 9 will kick in for many and you will see it will not be worth keeping any of the programs alive. Less sports, less scholarships, many kids where this was there only chance will now not have a chance.

Separate out football and let the other sports die. Those athletes refused to stand up for the sanctity of amateur athletics, feigning mistreatment and victimhood. And now there will be no athletics or scholarships or even admissions for them. The world needs ditch diggers too.

Last edited:
Not the back pay and all of damages they are going to pay to past players. You can see it in Rick's email and they know they are going to be on the hook.,

Also, you may think it comes from revenues, but those smaller schools do not have enough revenue to cover other sports once they have to rev share. Stop with this will be covered by revenue. It will kill programs, many many. Your head is in the sand if you think it will all be covered by revenue across the board. Many will close the programs because there is no revenue to pay players and keep the other non-revenue sports alive. Title 9 will kick in for many and you will see it will not be worth keeping any of the programs alive. Less sports, less scholarships, many kids where this was there only chance will now not have a chance.
The NCAA pays for 41 percent of the back pay. The schools pay the remainder over 10 years.

The monies payed to athletes going forward are clearly funded by revenues per the settlement.

I hope he doesn't.
There is so much confusion on this topic as evidenced by this thread. To me, it’s a great opportunity to provide leadership and clarity, as possible. It will be interesting to see what other ADs do.many schools are letting their Presidents comment on the issue. This topic might be above RG’s pay grade.

so, which members of Congress are most likely to use this issue to try to create publicity for themselves by "leading" on proposed legislation?

which members of Congress are most likely to propose reasonable solutions?

.... propose unworkable and potentially further-damaging solutions?

1. Title IX is definitely an unresolved issue.
2. Future of non revenue sports is uncertain. Subsidy from football is over.
3. Paying players only buttresses the NLRB opinion that revenue athletes are employees.
4. Collective bargaining likely to follow.
5. Insurance for universities may be untenable, given that all football and basketball players will be considered employees that reside 247 with employer university. Is every act on or off campus under the oversight of the university now? Every fistfight may come with a hefty price tag.
6. Almost every school not in the ACC, BIG, Big 12, or SEC will likely have to bow out.

so, which members of Congress are most likely to use this issue to try to create publicity for themselves by "leading" on proposed legislation?

which members of Congress are most likely to propose reasonable solutions?

.... propose unworkable and potentially further-damaging solutions?
Cruz has already made a statement. Tuberville will join him. That’s the leadership for Congressional intervention.

Lesser known members have issued statements on the other side, principally calling for making athletes employees and collectively bargaining.

I'm guessing the military academies will be among the first to drop out of the top "formal" tier of CFB

That $20 million is going to go to only football and basketball. Title IX will likely get involved, will get messy.

That $20 million is going to go to only football and basketball. Title IX will likely get involved, will get messy.
as a huge fan of the college hoops game, I'm not currently optimistic basketball is going to see much money

"Optional" meaning "do this or see your sports teams become 3rd class or irrelevant". That's the choice.

Hopefully someone like Robert Smith has an interest in buying an interest in the CU Athletic Department & associated assets. Only way to fund this, I think, and certainly the only way to manage what amounts to a pro sports franchise is to turn it over to the private sector.
1716574252815.png

I wonder if this really hurts our performance in the Olympics going forward.
I don't see how it wouldn't. Just as Title IX was the direct cause of the U.S. going from elite to mediocre in Men's Volleyball.

Back