What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Settlement - Salary Cap & Back Payment of NIL to Former Players

The NCAA pays for 41 percent of the back pay. The schools pay the remainder over 10 years.

The monies payed to athletes going forward are clearly funded by revenues per the settlement.
you are kidding yourself if you think this is clear. It will be the end of certain colleges ADs and you watch how Rick and team use this to come asking for more. They will not be the only one. This is going to be a massive problem, especially for the non-P4 schools

you are kidding yourself if you think this is clear. It will be the end of certain colleges ADs and you watch how Rick and team use this to come asking for more. They will not be the only one. This is going to be a massive problem, especially for the non-P4 schools
Yep. "Funded out of revenue" ignores the reality that there are very few ADs running at a $20M budget surplus. Something's got to give because the money isn't currently there.

I’m not kidding myself on anything. I m merely answering questions you raise or adding clarity from the settlement on some of your assertions.

Yep. "Funded out of revenue" ignores the reality that there are very few ADs running at a $20M budget surplus. Something's got to give because the money isn't currently there.
How much more revenue is CU getting from the new Big 12 contract compared to the old Pac 12 deal?

Sports will be cut. Positions will be eliminated. Coach salaries will moderate. Some universities will drop to a different division. Sponsorships will become more vital. Ticket prices will go up. New TV revenues will help. Donations will be essential to balance the budget. Collectives will be brought in-house and I suspect some monies from collectives will help support the operational budget. PE could get involved. Some ADs will bite CFOs And some schools, like tOSU and Texas won’t flinch. That’s what I’m reading.

Sports will be cut. Positions will be eliminated. Coach salaries will moderate. Some universities will drop to a different division. Sponsorships will become more vital. Ticket prices will go up. New TV revenues will help. Donations will be essential to balance the budget. Collectives will be brought in-house and I suspect some monies from collectives will help support the operational budget. PE could get involved. Some ADs will bite CFOs And some schools, like tOSU and Texas won’t flinch. That’s what I’m reading.
Yes. Seismic changes coming

It won't really be a big problem financially for non-P4 schools because they'll just pay less which of course will put them at a competitive disadvantage. But they're already at a disadvantage.

So Title IX only deals with opportunity, not compensation. The lead attorney in the article above basically said if a school distributes equally, the football and mens basketball players will sue because they generate almost all of the media and ticket revenue. If the women's sports don't get any money they will sue under Title IX. The courts will eventually settle how the money gets distributed. There is a long way to go in this mess. College sports as we know it as part of the college experience is on the verge of dying.

Yes. Seismic changes coming
At the very least the conference should allow all members to cut non-revenue men's sports (not that CU has many left) and cut women's sports to the bare minimum that Title IX will allow for men's football and basketball to exist. Not that cutting mens track, cross-country, and golf will save all that much, probably something like 25 scholarships, but at this point any money spent on them is money wasted, and if it would allow for a total of about 50 scholarships total to be cut, along with coaches and athletics department staff, that would be a good start.

I’m not kidding myself on anything. I m merely answering questions you raise or adding clarity from the settlement on some of your assertions.
This will create departments that will cease operation and massive numbers of sports will be cut. If football is the only sport generating revenue and you have to go and back pay and as well as pay damages there will not be revenue for other sports. Title 9 will cause massive problems for those schools and it will lead to schools dropping athletics, fewer scholarships, etc. you are kidding yourself if you think that “settlement” accounted for all of these ancillary repercussions. It did not. The ramifications will decimate most non-P4 teams and probably some P4 teams as well.

This will create departments that will cease operation and massive numbers of sports will be cut. If football is the only sport generating revenue and you have to go and back pay and as well as pay damages there will not be revenue for other sports. Title 9 will cause massive problems for those schools and it will lead to schools dropping athletics, fewer scholarships, etc. you are kidding yourself if you think that “settlement” accounted for all of these ancillary repercussions. It did not. The ramifications will decimate most non-P4 teams and probably some P4 teams as well.
You saw my post on the seismic downstream changes, both positive and negative.

Most think it will lead to more scholarships.

SIAP in the multiple essays I didn’t read.

The challenge right now is that settling a lawsuit doesn’t negate Title IX. ADs are ****ed right now if they are trying to salvage CFB and MBB - that’s 100 scholarships for women’s teams.

There really does need to be congressional action to, at a minimum, erase Title IX.

P5 conferences will then need to revise rules in regards to minimum sports that need to be supported.

SIAP in the multiple essays I didn’t read.

The challenge right now is that settling a lawsuit doesn’t negate Title IX. ADs are ****ed right now if they are trying to salvage CFB and MBB - that’s 100 scholarships for women’s teams.

There really does need to be congressional action to, at a minimum, erase Title IX.

P5 conferences will then need to revise rules in regards to minimum sports that need to be supported.
It indeed is an open question. But important to remember Title IX addresses opportunity, not compensation.

Aren't the P4 schools the only ones that will be paying the players not the non-P4 schools?

It indeed is an open question. But important to remember Title IX addresses opportunity, not compensation.
Agreed.

But if ADs are going to give away ~25% in revenue to compensation for NIL for those that deserve it, you are not funding 7-15 sports for each gender anymore.

Even if you stripped it back to CFB and MBB with P5 conferences dropping the number of minimum required sports, Title IX “opportunity“ has been up to this point been defined as number of scholarships. That’s 10-ish women’s sports.

The math just doesn’t work.

Agreed.

But if ADs are going to give away ~25% in revenue to compensation for NIL for those that deserve it, you are not funding 7-15 sports for each gender anymore.

Even if you stripped it back to CFB and MBB with P5 conferences dropping the number of minimum required sports, Title IX “opportunity“ has been up to this point been defined as number of scholarships. That’s 10-ish women’s sports.

The math just doesn’t work.
Maybe just one sport, an 85 woman soccer team, all on scholarship. 😎

I will be interested to see what happened with the, until now, endless “arms race”. 10’s of millions of dollars are being spent per year to pay for this by AD’s across the country, and all are at different points of this process and repayment. All of these decisions were made in a vacuum where building new palaces was posed as the only way to remain competitive. Texa$$ and tosu along with several others will not be affected. csu is proper ****ed

I will be interested to see what happened with the, until now, endless “arms race”. 10’s of millions of dollars are being spent per year to pay for this by AD’s across the country, and all are at different points of this process and repayment. All of these decisions were made in a vacuum where building new palaces was posed as the only way to remain competitive. Texa$$ and tosu along with several others will not be affected. csu is proper ****ed
Slides and barbershops are gonna get cut.

At the very least the conference should allow all members to cut non-revenue men's sports (not that CU has many left) and cut women's sports to the bare minimum that Title IX will allow for men's football and basketball to exist. Not that cutting mens track, cross-country, and golf will save all that much, probably something like 25 scholarships, but at this point any money spent on them is money wasted, and if it would allow for a total of about 50 scholarships total to be cut, along with coaches and athletics department staff, that would be a good start.
Here's the thing: I want more sports, not fewer. I'd love to have Men's Soccer, Volleyball and Lacrosse, Women's Gymnastics, Triathlon and Beach Volleyball, and Men's & Women's Hockey and Baseball/ Softball. I hope there's a path to expanding rather than retracting the AD.

As part of the settlement, scholarship caps are eliminated and new roster limits will be implemented. Schools are now permitted to put on scholarship every member of a roster as long as they stay within a newly set roster limit.
So we're likely looking at smaller or larger than 85 man rosters?

Not the back pay and all of damages they are going to pay to past players. You can see it in Rick's email and they know they are going to be on the hook.,

Also, you may think it comes from revenues, but those smaller schools do not have enough revenue to cover other sports once they have to rev share. Stop with this will be covered by revenue. It will kill programs, many many. Your head is in the sand if you think it will all be covered by revenue across the board. Many will close the programs because there is no revenue to pay players and keep the other non-revenue sports alive. Title 9 will kick in for many and you will see it will not be worth keeping any of the programs alive. Less sports, less scholarships, many kids where this was there only chance will now not have a chance.
None of the school's are being forced to opt in and 20 million is an estimation. Some schools won't have that to offer.

The non P4 schools have the choice to use this model or drop to different level...or form their own division with different rules.

You're getting overly in your head with this.
Maybe but not sure how the opposite happens. I hope it does but who will care?

Back